Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Oh really

Leven, UK

#19137 Nov 24, 2013
EdSed wrote:
OhReally claims not to be religious but seems part of what I call the 'of course I'm not religious myself, but..' Brigade. These are apologists for religion and superstition while simultaneously denying being any part of it.
<quoted text>As a matter of historical fact, nobody knows much about who Jesus was and nothing for sure of what he said. The Character protrayed in various Christian teachings has evolved in the minds of those who wrote the Bible and regard it as a holy book.
Religion = superstition
I don't care for Skeptic's manner much either, but his comment that there is no evidence of an interventionist god, much less an Abrahamic one or any of these...
godchecker.com
are basically sound. I think he's also probably correct about the motivation of those who believe in god(s) to avoid the subject. Honest religionists accept that religious beliefs aren't based on reason, nor supported in any way by science.
I certainly make no apologies for RELIGIONS nor secular society's (ours) who allow religion to be used to indoctrinate primary school children into moral guidance in this country.
If they want to teach morals they could well do it without the need for religion IMHO.

I supplied links which show (if you even bothered to read any of it)
How religion has been adapted and used as a vehicle for primarily secular society's throughout history, Its about time that the charade ended altogether and people moved on..

I find history fascinating and insightful, You cannot know me from the few times Ive written on here and i'd thank you for your less obvious attack on my character to be even less obvious.:)
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#19138 Nov 24, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
The Golden Rule until the lawyers got involved.
Then the Silver and Platinum Rules had to be created to fill the loopholes of the Golden Rule.
And it's funny that you ask if the "spirit" is invented recently. The spirit of the Golden Rule crops up in a lot of religions much older than Islam.
The whole "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" thing.
Perhaps you should do more to explain your cryptic post, it does not make any sense.

I heard about Golden mean, which is between two extremes, as Islam is between two extremes of Traditional Judaism and Traditional Christianity.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#19139 Nov 25, 2013
Thanks for this reply, OhReally.
Oh really wrote:
<quoted text>
I certainly make no apologies for RELIGIONS nor secular society's (ours) who allow religion to be used to indoctrinate primary school children into moral guidance in this country.
If they want to teach morals they could well do it without the need for religion IMHO.
I agree. Religion has nothing to do with morality.
Oh really wrote:
<quoted text>
I supplied links which show (if you even bothered to read any of it)
No, I was 'raised Christian' and Jesus tripe has wasted enough of my time.
Oh really wrote:
<quoted text>
How religion has been adapted and used as a vehicle for primarily secular society's throughout history, Its about time that the charade ended altogether and people moved on..
Too true.
Oh really wrote:
<quoted text>
I find history fascinating and insightful, You cannot know me from the few times Ive written on here and i'd thank you for your less obvious attack on my character to be even less obvious.:)
What attack was that, please? I can't see any.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#19140 Nov 25, 2013
We're one of those species that is cooperative. Evolution reinforced the golden rule was already embedded into us long before religion was invented.
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Typically...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule
Religion = superstition
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#19141 Nov 25, 2013
Thinking wrote:
We're one of those species that is cooperative. Evolution reinforced the golden rule was already embedded into us long before religion was invented.
<quoted text>
Absolutely.

Cooperating with some clerics can be problematic. The Assoc of Atheist, Humanist and Secular Student Societies wrote,
"In a report released this Friday, Universities UK, representing Vice Chancellors, has recommended that universities be prepared to enforce segregation between men and women at public lectures if a religious speaker demands it. This means people of different genders sitting on separate sides of a lecture theatre, regardless of their beliefs - and the division reflects the binarism and transphobia that's rife in conservative religions."

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Universi...

Should allowing clerics to segregate public meetings by gender be acceptable in the UK? I can understand it being permitted in mosques, or for meetings of that particular congregation, or where a cult explicitly excludes the non-religious, but in a universities and public properties?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#19142 Nov 25, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Absolutely.
Cooperating with some clerics can be problematic. The Assoc of Atheist, Humanist and Secular Student Societies wrote,
"In a report released this Friday, Universities UK, representing Vice Chancellors, has recommended that universities be prepared to enforce segregation between men and women at public lectures if a religious speaker demands it. This means people of different genders sitting on separate sides of a lecture theatre, regardless of their beliefs - and the division reflects the binarism and transphobia that's rife in conservative religions."
Should allowing clerics to segregate public meetings by gender be acceptable in the UK? I can understand it being permitted in mosques, or for meetings of that particular congregation, or where a cult explicitly excludes the non-religious, but in a universities and public properties?
I think it's time to quit pandering to these religious bigotry-- including bigotry with regards to sexual identity.

We don't allow the religious bigots to separate a crowd by ethnic origins, do we?

Religious bigot, directing a crowd: "now you good people, you get to sit over *here* where it's nice, but you second-class sub-humans? You must all sit at the back, behind this curtain--so we can't see you and get all embarrassed"

... meh.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#19143 Nov 25, 2013
Certainly religious segregation should not happen at a Uni lecture theatre.

My instinct is that clerics should only have such jurisdiction in their "own" buildings - if at all. But what is a mosque and what is an "islamic centre" and what the difference really is may be fudged to further their ends.
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Absolutely.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#19144 Nov 25, 2013
btw I just signed that petition. I follow Maryam's work closely anyway.

I also got copied on a letter from Hugh Robertson, Minister for Sports and Tourism, to my MP regarding the incorporation of a small rainbow somewhere into our 2014 Socci kit. There was a lot of positive comment regarding pressuring Russia to behave in accordance with Olympic values and to respect human rights. The bottom line is this, though:

"The matter of Team GB's kit is the responsibility of the British Olympic Association (BOA) and I am forwarding your correspondence to the BOA accordingly."
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Absolutely.
Oh really

Leven, UK

#19146 Nov 25, 2013
EdSed wrote:
Thanks for this reply, OhReally.
<quoted text>I agree. Religion has nothing to do with morality.
<quoted text>No, I was 'raised Christian' and Jesus tripe has wasted enough of my time.

<quoted text>Too true.

<quoted text>What attack was that, please? I can't see any.
Your welcome.

Agree.

Same.

My back was up a bit, Sorry.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#19147 Nov 25, 2013
Thinking wrote:
btw I just signed that petition. I follow Maryam's work closely anyway.
I also got copied on a letter from Hugh Robertson, Minister for Sports and Tourism, to my MP regarding the incorporation of a small rainbow somewhere into our 2014 Socci kit. There was a lot of positive comment regarding pressuring Russia to behave in accordance with Olympic values and to respect human rights. The bottom line is this, though:
"The matter of Team GB's kit is the responsibility of the British Olympic Association (BOA) and I am forwarding your correspondence to the BOA accordingly."
<quoted text>
Good thinking!!:-) Sounds encouraging. UK MPs must be careful to avoid charges of political interference but passing-on ideas from their constituents is perfectly reasonable.

(Regards and thanks to OhReally too).
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#19148 Nov 25, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's time to quit pandering to these religious bigotry-- including bigotry with regards to sexual identity.
We don't allow the religious bigots to separate a crowd by ethnic origins, do we?
Religious bigot, directing a crowd: "now you good people, you get to sit over *here* where it's nice, but you second-class sub-humans? You must all sit at the back, behind this curtain--so we can't see you and get all embarrassed"
... meh.
I quite agree. In the UK we need to remove the political privilege of clerics and the CofEngland.

I think the UK has more constitutional problems (with religion) than the USA, but religious superstition seems far more prevalent over there, so does prejudice against non-believers. People in both countries need to join their local Atheist, Humanist, or Secular group and not fear to speak out in defence of secularism.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#19149 Nov 25, 2013
I sometimes think our institutionalised CofE has done quite a good job of running belief into the ground. It might be worth the money.
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>I quite agree. In the UK we need to remove the political privilege of clerics and the CofEngland.
I think the UK has more constitutional problems (with religion) than the USA, but religious superstition seems far more prevalent over there, so does prejudice against non-believers. People in both countries need to join their local Atheist, Humanist, or Secular group and not fear to speak out in defence of secularism.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#19152 Nov 30, 2013
It seems the thread has become dormant, no one is interested, they all want to wait till 2038, to verify if Atheism has indeed "killed the religion"!!
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#19153 Dec 1, 2013
MUQ wrote:
It seems the thread has become dormant, no one is interested, they all want to wait till 2038, to verify if Atheism has indeed "killed the religion"!!
Bye then. Take your ignorance, paedophilia and silly religion with you. They're certainly no loss to us!

Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology

Since: Mar 12

Danda, India

#19154 Dec 1, 2013
MUQ wrote:
Try posting some sensible posts instead of making personal attacks.All atheist posters will come back to action.

“Not everything that shines...”

Since: Aug 13

Hatch, NM

#19156 Dec 1, 2013
Atheism does not have a chance. The human brain, always savy, feels the "POWER greater than thou" overcoming obstacles in life and keeping us safe and, for some reason, ALIVE.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#19157 Dec 1, 2013
LuzAranda wrote:
Atheism does not have a chance. The human brain, always savy, feels the "POWER greater than thou" overcoming obstacles in life and keeping us safe and, for some reason, ALIVE.
There is not now, nor has there ever been, any proof that any god ever worshipped ever existed.

You determine your own destiny…your life is what you make of it.

“Not everything that shines...”

Since: Aug 13

Hatch, NM

#19158 Dec 1, 2013
yeah, there is 'not now' and I ain't got no proof but the fact that I bs over nothing is PROOF enough. There is God. Destiny? depends as to where you are. It's nice to be in the USA and enjoy living. God needs no worship just acknowledgment that we are here where He put us. Destiny is life itself, our health, our society our heritage. Different people, different environments but there IS One God and He Plays Honest Justice. He's IN Charge of Time; we are not. We get old, we cease to exist, He does not, HE IS GOD.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#19159 Dec 1, 2013
Do you also thank your god for miscarriages, cot deaths and childhood leukaemia?
LuzAranda wrote:
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#19160 Dec 1, 2013
If I got to dictate my family pets a really short life I'd be a total c**t.
LuzAranda wrote:
yeah, there is 'not now' and I ain't got no proof but the fact that I bs over nothing is PROOF enough. There is God. Destiny? depends as to where you are. It's nice to be in the USA and enjoy living. God needs no worship just acknowledgment that we are here where He put us. Destiny is life itself, our health, our society our heritage. Different people, different environments but there IS One God and He Plays Honest Justice. He's IN Charge of Time; we are not. We get old, we cease to exist, He does not, HE IS GOD.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News John Heard, Chester Bennington, Martin Landau a... Sat a swa ff 1
News Lily man indicted on sex charges (Apr '14) Jul 18 Cuzn lovr 2
News Scher, Montrose physician and convicted murdere... (Jan '11) Jul 15 Hutch 12
News N.J. needle exchange program is called a succes... (Oct '12) Jul 1 Clean up or die 12
News Police log: Subject defecated on a porch Jun 26 Steve Gratman 5
News Vatican backs Obama as Nobel Peace Prize Winner (Oct '09) Jun '17 Dementia mental c... 36
News The Outrages of Sharia Jun '17 Eagle 12 2
More from around the web