Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 22,212

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#14971 Apr 22, 2013
Sad how religion leads people to actions like this. Burma fears an Islamic take over and sadly it leads to tragic actions like this.

So much for Buddhists being peaceful.
spudgun wrote:
Burma 'policy of ethnic cleansing' against Muslims, claims Human Rights Watch
youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =AFXY_1nA1uwXX&list=UUPgLN ge0xqQHWM5B5EFH9Cg&index=1

Buddhist attacks on Muslims burying scores of unidentified bodies in mass graves.

Religious violence is seemingly common, even in supposedly peaceful religions like Buddhism.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#14972 Apr 22, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Sad how religion leads people to actions like this. Burma fears an Islamic take over and sadly it leads to tragic actions like this.
Perhaps it's simplistic to blame religion per-se, or entirely. It is tribalism that is part of the problem. Religion and religious teaching do compound the seperate identities and the problems.
Givemeliberty wrote:
So much for Buddhists being peaceful.
<quoted text>
http://rationalist.org.uk/articles/4021/the-d...
..However[,] I have no doubt that Buddhist religious belief, as it was practised at the school, did a great deal of harm. Nowhere was this more in evidence than in the ramifications of the belief in karma. At first glance, karma is a lovely idea which encourages people to be good even when nobody is watching for the sake of happiness in a future life. It's a bit carrot-and-stickish, but so are a lot of the ways in which we get people to not routinely beat us up and take our stuff. Where it gets insidious is in the pall that it casts over our failures in this life. I remember one student who was having problems memorising material for tests. Distraught, she went to the monks who explained to her that she was having such trouble now because, in a past life, she was a murderous dictator who burned books, and so now, in this life, she is doomed to forever be learning challenged.
Unquote.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#14973 Apr 22, 2013
MUQ wrote:
Ans.
01. Every extra-martial relationship does not require killing the parties. This applies only if one or both commit adultery and they produce "four eye witness" for the crime.
This is not what "I" like, this is the punishment from their Creator, who is more merciful than the "most merciful and humanitarian" amongst you.
If you don't like it - change it. You don't have to remain a barbarian.

By the way, here in the UK we abolished the death penalty. That makes us much more merciful than your imaginary creator.
MUQ wrote:
02. Homosexuality is an abomination and sexual perversion of highest order. If the crime is proven and "four eye witness" testify to the act, the punishment is same as that of adultery.
Crime? You are sick. You would see people killed for loving each other?

It's all about freedom - something that's alien to you.

Tough titties.
MUQ wrote:
03. As said earlier, "men-women equality" is a myth and there is "no society on earth" where there is equality between sexes.
Men and women are complimentary to each other and they have rights and duties which are according to their nature.
No women is to be killed for "demanding" extra rights than she has been given by Her Creator.
PS:
So it is you people, who should crawl into caves and do not propagate sexual immorality in the world.
When are Saudi Arabian men going to have to wear hijabs?

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#14974 Apr 22, 2013
spudgun wrote:
Burma 'policy of ethnic cleansing' against Muslims, claims Human Rights Watch
youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =AFXY_1nA1uwXX&list=UUPgLN ge0xqQHWM5B5EFH9Cg&index=1
Buddhist attacks on Muslims burying scores of unidentified bodies in mass graves.
Religious violence is seemingly common, even in supposedly peaceful religions like Buddhism.
Yet all we hear from people like Muq is how gays must be killed because homosexuality is evil.

Seems to me that religion causes far more problems in society than homosexuality does.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#14975 Apr 22, 2013
gregory

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#14976 Apr 22, 2013
EdSed wrote:
Well I like him :-)
The funny thing is that in some respects he seems a decent guy. He would probably be mortified at any suggestion he might break a law, or do anything immoral. He's quite open about his whereabouts and the formative influence of him by his father. What he says exemplifies why some people can see religion as a sort of cancer or illness. Religion is so obviously and frequently parent-given, it's not god-given. I see him as ignorant, not intentionally irresponsible. I don't think the ignorance is willful. I think he's genuinely as daft as he sounds.
(Thanks to Nightserf for video by Matt Dillahunty of the Atheist Experience)
True, and he's no crazier than some of his Christian counterparts who live all around me. But there are not many steps between approving of or at least tolerating the extremes that some will go to over religion and committing such acts oneself. It makes me warier of my neighbors than I would like to be.
Imhotep

United States

#14977 Apr 22, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You found it!
My bookmarked link points to an account that was deleted--likely forcibly by radical islamist.
That is one of my favorite YouTubers...
Thanks!
I keep a rather extensive library of links and information

I'm sure you've noticed most of my posts are ready formulated and just c/p to suit the reply

Once I've covered a given topic and provided the necessary links I store all this as notes or a word document that I can be easily copy and paste

I'm lazy and besides with all the high-tech gadgetry we have today it would be a true sin not to use it!

;)

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#14978 Apr 22, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
On the superiority of secular morality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =cq2C7fyVTA4XX
Nice find!

Thanks. He makes some very good arguments.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#14979 Apr 22, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Straight to the point. Same goes for the other prophets.
Yep. I seen no point in going for the subtle bits, when the main point is so ... ugly.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#14980 Apr 22, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
You should replace Anne Marie Walter as adviser, you share her views exactly, almost like a carbon copy.
You also need to be checked by some mental doctor.
Advisor to whom? If I were to replace her, I should know who I would be advising, wouldn't you think? And if my views are exactly like hers, why would my input be needed. Would you like us to be twice as loud and twice as infuriated, by your insane dogma? To share exactly, ones views would not be likened to "almost a carbon copy", but rather as a clone. How many doctors of psychiatry do you think would sanction the anal ripping of a newborn child, by his own father's penis? These are crimes far worse than just sexual battery, and rape, these type actions are a betrayal of the family unit, it is an assault on humanity itself, it is monstrous.

Yesterday at my house, a goose hatched two eggs. She and the male are guarding those babies, the male goose is as diligent as she is, in protecting their young. You freak could learn from geese. The young are not meant to be violated. A parent is meant by nature to protect the offspring. It takes a being a criminal and a pedophile to actually touch a child with your penis.
realist

United States

#14981 Apr 22, 2013
Hey atheists,you know that inner thought inside of you that tells you something you are about to do is wrong and you shouldnt do it.That is your GOD conscious that almighty God put in you. its called a spirit. God puts this spirit in everybody. every time you go against your GOD conscious you drift farther and farther away from GOD. finally you will one day call yourself an atheist because you lost your spirit and have no conscious.

your
Imhotep

United States

#14982 Apr 22, 2013
realist wrote:
Hey atheists,you know that inner thought inside of you that tells you something you are about to do is wrong and you shouldnt do it.That is your GOD conscious that almighty God put in you. its called a spirit. God puts this spirit in everybody. every time you go against your GOD conscious you drift farther and farther away from GOD. finally you will one day call yourself an atheist because you lost your spirit and have no conscious.
your
How profound
I think I'll run right away to the nearest church
God desperately needs my money
He's been broke for prolonged period
I feel it's my duty to cough up a couple of sheckels

No wait!
This short video is proof positive you are correct!
Praise the Lord

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch...

Seriously I do appreciate you sharing your mythology with us.

;)

True Bible©

1. Do you believe in God?

A.Yes, I believe in the one TRUE God.
B.Yes, I have my own religious beliefs.
C.I'm not really sure but a sword to my throat would convince me.
D.Not, I prefer rationality.

2. Do you believe in MY God?
A. Oh totally.(That's a fine sword you have there).
B. Nah, I already have one of those.
C.There is no God. Gasp!
D. My ass itches

3. Do you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?

A. You bet! One time, two times, three times my savior!
B.Once in a while.
C. Jesus who?
D. No, I'll opt out.

4. Have you read the King James Bible?

A. Yes! Like OMG, it's my freaking life!
B. Yeah, it was decent.
C. Yes, but The Cat in the Hat was better.
D. I'd rather eat a thumbtack sandwich than read that garbage.

5. The TRUE meaning of the 6th Commandment:

A. Thou shalt not kill anyone for any reason.
B.Thou shalt not kill anyone except for the people who don't believe in the same God you believe in or people who don't believe in God at all.
C. Thou shalt not kill except if they really piss you off.
D. Slay away! More people have been killed in the name of God than for any other reason in history.
E. God killed all life on earth, that she created, except Eight inexperienced shipbuilders, One of which - get this - 900 years old!

The salvation of your eternal soul depends on how you answer the quiz.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#14983 Apr 22, 2013
realist wrote:
your
It is the goddesses who make you have those inner thoughts. How long have you been a Pagan?
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#14984 Apr 22, 2013
SG wrote:
01. Praying five times a day is a colossal waste of human time and energy in a completely pointless task. If God is all powerful and all good, he will do the right thing irrespective of what prayers are offered to it.

02. An all powerful being would not need prayer. Prayer makes no sense. And besides, dont you ever think the being you are praying to could be imaginary?

03. What are the chances that you have the right god and right religion, out of all the various conflicting ones on offer.

04. The fact is our beliefs are largely formed by our upbringing and community that we live in, and have little to do with any particular sky entities.

05. And yes Allah was believed to live in the sky, as proven by the night flight. And has only be relocated to an alternate dimension since science has disproved sky beings living above our heads.
Ans.

01. Some people say watching TV every day and reading daily News papers as "More colossal waste of human time and energy".

It depends on the perspective, so you spend your time in drinks and dance parties and music shows and football games….and leave us to pray five times or more….why should it harm you?

02. Who told you that OUR prayers benefit Allah? They are for OUR benefit and not His. We thank Him for all the Blessings and good things in life, which He has given us and ask for His pardon and mercy

03. You do not toss a coin to chose which version you are going to follow? Do you? So there is no "chance" for any error.

We do not believe in chance, we are SURE that what we believe in is truth. As for different religions having different concepts, we can check and analyze and it would be clear that our's is the most logical and reasonable concept than every one else's.

04. This is true to some level. But not for every one. If every one was following religions of his parents, how come we see Billions of Christians and Muslims in the world today.

At some instant, some one changes his / her religion and selects another one.

So we tell you about our religion, to whom it appeals, they accept it and to whom it does not appeal, they continue their way.

We are not responsible for "how many" accepted our message.

06. And what do you know, what the word 'sky" means in Arabic? It means any thing "above" earth.

And seeing that earth is spherical in shape, every direction in upward and every where there is sky.

Alternate Dimension idea is very good, but how come science "prove" that there is no "other dimension"? On Mathematical level it is possible, but no one can "experiment" with it.
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#14985 Apr 22, 2013
RP wrote:
01. Advisor to whom? If I were to replace her, I should know who I would be advising, wouldn't you think? And if my views are exactly like hers, why would my input be needed. Would you like us to be twice as loud and twice as infuriated, by your insane dogma? To share exactly, ones views would not be likened to "almost a carbon copy", but rather as a clone. How many doctors of psychiatry do you think would sanction the anal ripping of a newborn child, by his own father's penis? These are crimes far worse than just sexual battery, and rape, these type actions are a betrayal of the family unit, it is an assault on humanity itself, it is monstrous.

02. Yesterday at my house, a goose hatched two eggs. She and the male are guarding those babies, the male goose is as diligent as she is, in protecting their young. You freak could learn from geese. The young are not meant to be violated. A parent is meant by nature to protect the offspring. It takes a being a criminal and a pedophile to actually touch a child with your penis.
Ans.

01. Since you ALWAYS suggest solutions which are against morality, so you would support each other.

It does not matter how you two work and why should I waste my time in "advising you"?

And which religion or society permits that children be violated or harmed? Why are you creating all this hysteria?

02. Yes the instinct to protect their young is present in every life form. Humans have the most developed sense than other life forms.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#14986 Apr 23, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
01. Since you ALWAYS suggest solutions which are against morality, so you would support each other.
It does not matter how you two work and why should I waste my time in "advising you"?
And which religion or society permits that children be violated or harmed? Why are you creating all this hysteria?
02. Yes the instinct to protect their young is present in every life form. Humans have the most developed sense than other life forms.
Still no comment from you on:-

Is this because you agree with the murder of young girls?

Since: Mar 11

United States

#14987 Apr 23, 2013
Islam permits children to be violated, harmed even killed in the name of Allah and you have admitted this Muq.
MUQ wrote:
Ans.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#14988 Apr 23, 2013
realist wrote:
your
Jonny Eve sings it like it is....
http://www.atheismuk.com/2012/03/31/atheism/y...

Religion = superstition and only fools fool themselves.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#14989 Apr 23, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
….and leave us to pray five times or more….why should it harm you?
I agree that you praying does no harm to me personally. It is more a friendly word to say that speaking to an imaginary friend, does not make any sense. Whilst meditating may give you a sense of comfort, religions can also be psychological damaging. You have to believe in a lot of superstition and nonsense. Many people with religion live in fear that they and their loved ones will end up in hell. Needless to say, this is purely and imaginary fear, with no basis in reality.
shani89

Bromley, UK

#14990 Apr 23, 2013
Ava. if you think Marcus`s report is cool, on tuesday I bought a top of the range Alfa Romeo since I been bringin in $9978 this past four weeks and also 10/k last munth. it's by-far the easiest job I've ever done. I began this 3 months ago and pretty much straight away was bringing in at least $75, per-hour. I use this web-site, hub16.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dutch Fork Lake back in use after lengthy battl... Wed maskedtex 2
Ex-Yugoslav Spymasters Face Murder Trial, Russi... Sep 14 Lukashenko is Dr ... 4
The 10 best Twin Cities dog friendly restaurants Sep 12 T-bro 9
Top 9 Vacation Destinations For Wall Street Geeks Sep 12 Mostafa 1
Myanmar's parliament Speaker to visit Vietnam Sep 7 bach dang 5
Boy's lawyer: Judge in murder case is biased (Nov '09) Sep 6 looking4trth 4
Whoops! 9 Times Harry Reid Said 'The Wrong Thing ' Aug 24 the Light 6
•••
•••

9 People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••