Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#14339 Mar 29, 2013
Yes you even said you were changing the password and were done with it.

And you know it.
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>Did I?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#14340 Mar 29, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I swear man if I didn't have the strong secular morals that I have, with my bible and religious knowledge I could easily start up a church or even a new religion and make a fortune scamming rubes into thinking I had the path to heaven.
<quoted text>
Yep-- easy money, really.

All you need to be is a scumbag willing to steal pensions from old people and money from the stupid.

I have a hard time taking money from people I pity..

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#14341 Mar 29, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes all religions are cults. Cult and Religion are interchangeable words.
Not like atheist and agnostic that are NOT interchangeable.
Correct.

Athiesm is complete LACK OF BELIEF in gods.

Agnosticism is the declaration that you cannot KNOW about gods.

The two are complimentary.

Neither is a religion-- which requires you to LIE (faith).

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#14342 Mar 29, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all.
Good of you to agree that you worship your satan the most.

For you give that god ALL the REAL power...

Scottsburg, IN

#14343 Mar 29, 2013
Like I said my secular humanist morals won't allow me to do as such. It takes really scummy people to do that and support people like that. Sorry but William Lane Craig has hurt way more people in a week than Larry Flint has hurt his entire life.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>Yep-- easy money, really.

All you need to be is a scumbag willing to steal pensions from old people and money from the stupid.

I have a hard time taking money from people I pity..
Lincoln

United States

#14344 Mar 29, 2013
<quoted text>
Angry? Because atheists are being treated as 2nd-class people....
not treated at all,
just ignored

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#14345 Mar 29, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Like I said my secular humanist morals won't allow me to do as such. It takes really scummy people to do that and support people like that. Sorry but William Lane Craig has hurt way more people in a week than Larry Flint has hurt his entire life.
<quoted text>
Yep.

I have to face the morning mirror-- thus I cannot permit myself to be a thief-- which is what a con-game is: stealing, by way of lies.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#14346 Mar 29, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
So sorry America is Not atheist
Not yet, but it's getting there fast.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#14347 Mar 30, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
It's because Satan's got their soul.
Life's must be pretty miserable with out
A soul.
Actually, that wispy little miasma thingy, you lot called a soul
seems to have caused such unbelievable anxiety among most religion's sheeple, that it is just plain undesirable.
Why would we want that mediocre bit of nothingness that is so coveted by the underworld, that the person stuck with it, must be on constant guard against both his own god, and his own god's evil other half? One of whom will simply take and own it, the other may casually harden the heart of the soul carrier, so that any and all attempts to guard one's soul, may be over ruled by the same god who foisted it on you(but he will pass the buck and blame your grand pappy). Then there is that grand pappy thing, of the hideously repellant and unescapable "unto the tenth generation" rule about the bastard's family whose souls will all burn in hell, for sins committed by the long dead and unknown to the soul possessor's, ancestors.

Not only do we reject the entire concept as ludicrous, but if the damned things were real, you couldn't pack one in a barrel of hundred dollar bills and trick us into taking it.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#14348 Mar 30, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
not treated at all,
just ignored
It says if your vomit inducing rag bible that all atheists are fools.
Thanks for that hateful ignorant prejudice that you never correct you filthy religious scum.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#14349 Mar 30, 2013
<quoted text>
Link is busted on my end.
It just listed stats suggesting that scientists (however defined) and educated people are far less likely to say they believe in a god than the general US Population.

The Pew survey of four years ago is the one most often quoted, but Pew consistently seems (to me) to indicate fewer atheists and non-religious than other polls,(by Gallop for instance). Much has to do with the wording of the question and perhaps something to do with presentation of the data and/or unconscious bias of those responsible for the surveys.

There certainly seems to be increasing scepticism in the USA, especially amongst the young, but the USA appears to lag many developed countries as regards to declining religious superstitions and institutions.

Quote Pew: "A survey of scientists who are members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, conducted by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press in May and June 2009, finds that members of this group are, on the whole, much less religious than the general public.."
And
"Fully one-in-four members of the Millennial generation - so called because they were born after 1980 and began to come of age around the year 2000 - are unaffiliated with any particular faith.."

Some argue that atheism isn't increasing, but even if that were true (and that's doubtful amongst the young) a healthy scepticism is gradually rising. So there's hope for the USA but it may get there "after all the other possibilities have been exausted".

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#14350 Mar 30, 2013
EdSed wrote:
It just listed stats suggesting that scientists (however defined) and educated people are far less likely to say they believe in a god than the general US Population.

The Pew survey of four years ago is the one most often quoted, but Pew consistently seems (to me) to indicate fewer atheists and non-religious than other polls,(by Gallop for instance). Much has to do with the wording of the question and perhaps something to do with presentation of the data and/or unconscious bias of those responsible for the surveys.

There certainly seems to be increasing scepticism in the USA, especially amongst the young, but the USA appears to lag many developed countries as regards to declining religious superstitions and institutions.

Quote Pew: "A survey of scientists who are members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, conducted by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press in May and June 2009, finds that members of this group are, on the whole, much less religious than the general public.."
And
"Fully one-in-four members of the Millennial generation - so called because they were born after 1980 and began to come of age around the year 2000 - are unaffiliated with any particular faith.."

Some argue that atheism isn't increasing, but even if that were true (and that's doubtful amongst the young) a healthy scepticism is gradually rising. So there's hope for the USA but it may get there "after all the other possibilities have been exausted".
Thank you.

That is interesting, to be sure.

I've seen other statistical studies which tried to show a correlation between level of education and the depth of religious affiliation.

Of course, it's impossible to get at the real cause-and-effect, where people are concerned--too many complex variables.

But there does seem to be some relationship between education and religion, in that the more education one has, the less one relies on religion to influence one's life-choices.

And what religion remains, in the highly educated, appears to gravitate to the tame varieties that show little or no direct controlling influence on the individual. More progressive flavors of religion, if you will.

I see this as a good thing: the progressive/tame religions I have observed, are in full agreement that mixing religion and government is a horrid idea. And they also tend to agree that forcing a particular religious view onto others, is equally horrid.

These sorts? I have absolutely zero problem with-- they are akin to dandruff: lots of money spent on the "problem", minor results, and the people involved seem to enjoy fiddling with it, without involving others in the process.

:D

(that last was a semi-quote by Robert Heinlein, the noted author.)

Scottsburg, IN

#14351 Mar 30, 2013
Non believers are skyrocketing in America, personally I could care less if they dub themselves atheist, non religious, agnostic, humanists or even popcorn fanatics.

The title means little in the grand scheme of things, the healthy skepticism and rejecting of archaic ancient nonsense is what is key.
<quoted text>Thank you.

That is interesting, to be sure.

I've seen other statistical studies which tried to show a correlation between level of education and the depth of religious affiliation.

Of course, it's impossible to get at the real cause-and-effect, where people are concerned--too many complex variables.

But there does seem to be some relationship between education and religion, in that the more education one has, the less one relies on religion to influence one's life-choices.

And what religion remains, in the highly educated, appears to gravitate to the tame varieties that show little or no direct controlling influence on the individual. More progressive flavors of religion, if you will.

I see this as a good thing: the progressive/tame religions I have observed, are in full agreement that mixing religion and government is a horrid idea. And they also tend to agree that forcing a particular religious view onto others, is equally horrid.

These sorts? I have absolutely zero problem with-- they are akin to dandruff: lots of money spent on the "problem", minor results, and the people involved seem to enjoy fiddling with it, without involving others in the process.

:D

(that last was a semi-quote by Robert Heinlein, the noted author.)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#14352 Mar 30, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Non believers are skyrocketing in America, personally I could care less if they dub themselves atheist, non religious, agnostic, humanists or even popcorn fanatics.
The title means little in the grand scheme of things, the healthy skepticism and rejecting of archaic ancient nonsense is what is key.
<quoted text>
I agree-- the label they choose is irrelevant.

It's the >>actions<< they do afterwards that matters.

And more and more folk are clearly rejecting the hate and bigotry of Organized Religion, in favor of more tolerant views.

One of the most significant proofs is the increasing support of gay marriage in the US, over the strong objections of bigots and religious assh9les.

(by the way... is that last phrase redundant?)

Scottsburg, IN

#14353 Mar 30, 2013
It may have been a bit redundant but hard to avoid when discussing Christholes.
<quoted text>I agree-- the label they choose is irrelevant.

It's the >>actions<< they do afterwards that matters.

And more and more folk are clearly rejecting the hate and bigotry of Organized Religion, in favor of more tolerant views.

One of the most significant proofs is the increasing support of gay marriage in the US, over the strong objections of bigots and religious assh9les.

(by the way... is that last phrase redundant?)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#14354 Mar 30, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
It may have been a bit redundant but hard to avoid when discussing Christholes.
<quoted text>
:)
MUQ

Qatif, Saudi Arabia

#14356 Apr 2, 2013
-

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/arti...

The Declining West: Tragedy or Comedy?

By Paul Craig Roberts

September 10, 2012 "Information Clearing House" -- During the Vietnam War, Sweden was an independent country with a moral conscience, and Sweden gave sanctuary to US war protestors who refused the draft. Washington realized the cost to itself and purchased the Swedish government in order to prevent a reoccurrence of moral conscience on the part of any Western government.

In the aftermath of World War II and during the subsequent decades of the Cold War with the Soviet Union, the Western nations presented themselves as the moral conscience of the world. It turns out that this was largely a hoax. The “Western nations” are merely pawns complicit in Washington’s crimes as Washington attempts to shut down all information in its pursuit of world hegemony.

Mark Weisbrot writing in Aljazeera has this to say about Washington’s use of its puppet government in Sweden to pursue Julian Assange for publishing leaked documents that reveal Washington’s mendacity and deception of other countries: http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012...

“There is a wealth of evidence that the US is very much interested in punishing Assange, and it keeps growing: on August 18, the Sydney Morning Herald reported that Australia's foreign service was aware that US authorities had been pursuing Assange for at least 18 months. And on August 24, Craig Murray, a former UK ambassador and 20-year career diplomat there, reported that his colleagues at the UK foreign office knew better than to make the unprecedented threat of invading Ecuador's embassy, but did so under pressure from Washington.

“Like many European countries, including of course the UK, Sweden's foreign policy is closely allied with that of the US government. This is not the first time that Sweden has collaborated with its Washington allies to violate human rights and international law. In 2001, the Swedish government turned over two Egyptians to the CIA so that they could be sent to Egypt, where they were tortured.

“Sweden's action brought condemnation from the UN and the government was forced to pay damages to the victims; both were later cleared of any wrongdoing. Polls showed that Swedes considered this crime the worst political scandal in their country in 20 years.

“Sweden is a highly developed social democracy that has many guarantees of civil rights and liberties to its citizens. The people of Sweden should not allow their government to continue to disgrace itself in another international governmental crime - this one a pernicious attack on freedom of expression - simply because Washington wants them to do so.”

Washington or Israel--essentially the same thing--has caused the puppet government in Canada to end Canada’s diplomatic relations with Iran for no reason whatsoever. The Canadian Foreign Minister John Baird in an unusual show of ignorance, even for him, condemned Iran as a “threat to global security.” No intelligent person could possibly believe that Iran comprises a threat to global security.

Look at John Baird. He even looks like a madcap idiot. What has become of Canadians who once were an intelligent tolerant people that they put in office madmen? B

Western nations have become a caricature of hypocrisy. If Western countries weren’t armed with nuclear weapons, the larger world would be rolling in laughter.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#14357 Apr 2, 2013
MUQ wrote:
-
By Paul Craig Roberts
September 10, 2012 "Information Clearing House" -- During the Vietnam War, Sweden was an independent country with a moral conscience, and Sweden gave sanctuary to US war protestors who refused the draft. Washington realized the cost to itself and purchased the Swedish government in order to prevent a reoccurrence of moral conscience on the part of any Western government.
In the aftermath of World War II and during the subsequent decades of the Cold War with the Soviet Union, the Western nations presented themselves as the moral conscience of the world. It turns out that this was largely a hoax. The “Western nations” are merely pawns complicit in Washington’s crimes as Washington attempts to shut down all information in its pursuit of world hegemony.
Mark Weisbrot writing in Aljazeera has this to say about Washington’s use of its puppet government in Sweden to pursue Julian Assange for publishing leaked documents that reveal Washington’s mendacity and deception of other countries: http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012...
“There is a wealth of evidence that the US is very much interested in punishing Assange, and it keeps growing: on August 18, the Sydney Morning Herald reported that Australia's foreign service was aware that US authorities had been pursuing Assange for at least 18 months. And on August 24, Craig Murray, a former UK ambassador and 20-year career diplomat there, reported that his colleagues at the UK foreign office knew better than to make the unprecedented threat of invading Ecuador's embassy, but did so under pressure from Washington.
“Like many European countries, including of course the UK, Sweden's foreign policy is closely allied with that of the US government. This is not the first time that Sweden has collaborated with its Washington allies to violate human rights and international law. In 2001, the Swedish government turned over two Egyptians to the CIA so that they could be sent to Egypt, where they were tortured.
“Sweden's action brought condemnation from the UN and the government was forced to pay damages to the victims; both were later cleared of any wrongdoing. Polls showed that Swedes considered this crime the worst political scandal in their country in 20 years.
“Sweden is a highly developed social democracy that has many guarantees of civil rights and liberties to its citizens. The people of Sweden should not allow their government to continue to disgrace itself in another international governmental crime - this one a pernicious attack on freedom of expression - simply because Washington wants them to do so.”
Washington or Israel--essentially the same thing--has caused the puppet government in Canada to end Canada’s diplomatic relations with Iran for no reason whatsoever. The Canadian Foreign Minister John Baird in an unusual show of ignorance, even for him, condemned Iran as a “threat to global security.” No intelligent person could possibly believe that Iran comprises a threat to global security.
Look at John Baird. He even looks like a madcap idiot. What has become of Canadians who once were an intelligent tolerant people that they put in office madmen? B
Western nations have become a caricature of hypocrisy. If Western countries weren’t armed with nuclear weapons, the larger world would be rolling in laughter.
Explain why your demi-god, Moohumud, was a child-raper and illiterate too.

Can you do it? Can you excuse your demi-god's child-rape?

Scottsburg, IN

#14358 Apr 2, 2013
Yawn an Obama hating right winger.

So anyways now that you have gotten to humiliate yourself Muq, what is your opinion on Muslim child brides?

You know here 58 year old greasy muslim men marry and rape little children as young as 6?
MUQ wrote:

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#14359 Apr 3, 2013
MUQ wrote:
-
By Paul Craig Roberts
Compared to the Middle East and those Muslim countries .... even the US is golden.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Byrdstown star returns for festival in her honor (Oct '11) Jan 12 SFBMF 11
News Bizarre JonBenet' Ramsey update (Mar '11) Jan 9 guess who 561
News JonBenet case analysis suggests Ramsey family s... (Mar '17) Jan 2 RTIC 73
News 3 Homebuilders To Avoid, 1 To Consider Now (Feb '12) Dec 20 yidfellas v USA 15
News Scher, Montrose physician and convicted murdere... (Jan '11) Dec '17 dan273 14
News High-speed chase brings Salem man jail time, de... Dec '17 Earl 4
News Why is Miguels Jr. The Most Popular Mexican Res... (Feb '10) Dec '17 Truth 33
More from around the web