Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 20 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#13999 Mar 18, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
One question, where did the big bang come from?
This is supposed to be a counter to science?

This is actually an exciting question that some people have a passion to answer. It's a puzzle to figure out. And the neat thing is, as with many scientific discoveries, it will lead to more puzzles.

But I guess having all the "answers to everything", aka, the Bible, is all you need.
Why do we die? God did it.
What are the stars? God did it.
Why did your dog run away? God did it.

Every Sunday you can get the answers to your question for a small fee - God did it.

And every Sunday, some "religious" leader is counting the donations to make a bank deposit first thing Monday morning.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#14000 Mar 18, 2013
Same reason the rambling a of a child rapist went into your Quran. People liked it.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>How come writings of Paul became Scripture?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#14001 Mar 18, 2013
Lol! Oh Muq stop it! There were Jews and Christians all over the place at that time! The Torah and gospel myths were widely published and known throughout the region.

The Quran writer stole and rewrote what he liked. Rather clumsily might I note because of his several humorous mistakes throughout the Quran.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>And what is your proof that Prophet Mohammad learned from the "Israelite"?

There were no Israelite in Makkah when he declared his mission and more than two third of Quran was revealed in Makkah period.

Only in the last 10 years of his mission he migrated to Madina, where there were Isralites present, but their relations were not cordial and in the fifth year all Jews were removed from Madina.

So how come Prophet Mohammad learnt from them?

Nehwon

#14002 Mar 18, 2013
MUQ wrote:
Some one made a comment, there is no "proof" of evolution.
How idiotic is the comment. There is no proof forsooth.
See we have a rat , Right?
And we have a Cat, Right?
And we have a Dog. Right?
And there is No creator, Right?
So it is OBVIOUS that rat, Cat, and Dog must be evolved from each other, Right?
What OTHER proof you need? Dumbo!!
forsooth?

Who uses that word anymore? Besides Shakespearean actors.

Nehwon

#14003 Mar 18, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text> you for real? If we didn't have the sun we would die. And its only caucasians who get burned an radiation from the sun.
"And its only caucasians who get burned an radiation from the sun."

With this little "fact" tidbit, you'll next be telling us that caucasians [sic] were meant to work indoors and all the other races were meant to work the fields...

Nehwon

#14004 Mar 18, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right. Your name's not collin.
It's Colin.
Now, perhaps you should get back to your superstitious mumbo jumbo and general ju-ju.
Sure it's not Colon?

It would be an appropriate name considering that what he spews from his mouth (or typing fingers) resembles what the organ does via the other orifice.

Nehwon

#14005 Mar 18, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text>do you people just lie all.the time? Show me the errors in the bible.
http://lmgtfy.com/...

Nehwon

#14006 Mar 18, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
ive noticed that no one mentions anything when i bring scriptures out, you seem to just move on to simething else. every scripture you bring out that you say is an error,(which has only been one), i corrected you on. if there is something you dont understand dont dismiss it and call it an error. and why do you bring it down to a low level when i show you something? just accept that everything you been taught about the bible was a lie, and study it for yourselves.
Ok, I'll play...

Matthew 4:6

And said to him, "If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down. For it is written:
He will command his angels concerning you, and 'with their hands they will support you, lest you dash your foot against a stone'"

This is Satan quoting Psalms 91:11-12.

Now it's up to you to prove to me that you aren't Satan quoting scriptures for your ends.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#14007 Mar 18, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
ive noticed that no one mentions anything when i bring scriptures out, you seem to just move on to simething else. every scripture you bring out that you say is an error,(which has only been one), i corrected you on. if there is something you dont understand dont dismiss it and call it an error. and why do you bring it down to a low level when i show you something? just accept that everything you been taught about the bible was a lie, and study it for yourselves.
We all have buybulls should we wish to read scripture. Your posting verse tells us that you have nothing to say, you have no input. We are not here to read any of the many contradicting holy books, we are here to put our two cents worth into the public forum. You are not a participant, until you use your own words.
Lincoln

United States

#14008 Mar 18, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, I'll play...
Matthew 4:6
And said to him, "If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down. For it is written:
He will command his angels concerning you, and 'with their hands they will support you, lest you dash your foot against a stone'"
This is Satan quoting Psalms 91:11-12.
Now it's up to you to prove to me that you aren't Satan quoting scriptures for your ends.
Prove atheism has any reality in America in 2013?

Christian win elections for President, role models for the young.
In the schools of 2013 all theories are taught.
Let idea compete in a democratic fashion.

Nehwon

#14009 Mar 18, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text> paul was a israelite from the tribe of benjamin.
Saul was a bounty hunter of the Apostles and never even met Jesus. In Acts 8:1, Saul approved of the execution of Stephen and then went on to persecute the church (the little people).

Now somewhere on the Road to Damascus, Saul got a revelation. The Bible portrays him as "seeing the light." I see that as Saul as recognizing a business opportunity.

He changed his name to Paul, usurped Peter's authority as the "Rock of the Church" and proceeded to take all the possessions from the naive Christian cultists (Sapphire and Annanais in Acts 5.) Paul made communism the hipster thing to do (Acts 5:32 - 34) nearly 2000 years before Karl Marx.

The Romans may have crucified Jesus, the man, but it was Saul/Paul who corrupted the upstart Christian cult. This business was so profitable that it still survives to this day.
Lincoln

United States

#14010 Mar 18, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Saul was a bounty hunter of the Apostles and never even met Jesus. In Acts 8:1, Saul approved of the execution of Stephen and then went on to persecute the church (the little people).
Now somewhere on the Road to Damascus, Saul got a revelation. The Bible portrays him as "seeing the light." I see that as Saul as recognizing a business opportunity.
He changed his name to Paul, usurped Peter's authority as the "Rock of the Church" and proceeded to take all the possessions from the naive Christian cultists (Sapphire and Annanais in Acts 5.) Paul made communism the hipster thing to do (Acts 5:32 - 34) nearly 2000 years before Karl Marx.
The Romans may have crucified Jesus, the man, but it was Saul/Paul who corrupted the upstart Christian cult. This business was so profitable that it still survives to this day.
"The Bible portrays him as "seeing the light." I see that as Saul as recognizing a business opportunity."

Hope you are not one of those people who network their friends for "business opportunity.

Nehwon

#14011 Mar 18, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove atheism has any reality in America in 2013?
Christian win elections for President, role models for the young.
In the schools of 2013 all theories are taught.
Let idea compete in a democratic fashion.
"Prove atheism has any reality in America in 2013?"

This very thread shows that there is atheism in America in 2013.

"Christian win elections for President, role models for the young."

Which flavor of Christian? Deist? Protestant? Catholic? Black Liberation?(and according to Free Republic, Obama is a Muslim.)

Role models for the young? Let's hope they never read the Bible, eh?

"In the schools of 2013 all theories are taught."

All theories? As if there were enough time for that.

"Let idea compete in a democratic fashion."

Umm, no. Ideas should compete on their merits and results. But those with a vested interest in an old idea certainly don't want to see a better one to replace the old.

And democratic fashion? like pure democracy? You do know what Tyranny of the Majority is, right?

Nehwon

#14012 Mar 18, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
"The Bible portrays him as "seeing the light." I see that as Saul as recognizing a business opportunity."
Hope you are not one of those people who network their friends for "business opportunity.
Like the Evangelist preachers I see on TV on late night? Jack van Impe is my friend and wants me to send money.

Face it - Saul/Paul found leeching off the Jesus cult followers was much easier than actually doing work to hunt them down.

It's a model religion uses to this day.
Lincoln

United States

#14013 Mar 18, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
"Prove atheism has any reality in America in 2013?"
This very thread shows that there is atheism in America in 2013.
"Christian win elections for President, role models for the young."
Which flavor of Christian? Deist? Protestant? Catholic? Black Liberation?(and according to Free Republic, Obama is a Muslim.)
Role models for the young? Let's hope they never read the Bible, eh?
"In the schools of 2013 all theories are taught."
All theories? As if there were enough time for that.
"Let idea compete in a democratic fashion."
Umm, no. Ideas should compete on their merits and results. But those with a vested interest in an old idea certainly don't want to see a better one to replace the old.
And democratic fashion? like pure democracy? You do know what Tyranny of the Majority is, right?
Public Schools provide a forum for learning about ideas.
This they do very well

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#14014 Mar 18, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
I loath scripture but whenever it rears its ugly head I feel compelled (devil made me do it) to post scripture virtually unknown to the posters here.
Naturally, they remain mute and dumbfounded.
One can sense their anxiety in the reply.
They only 'know' what they have been told.
Independent study is out of the question.
Addicted to dogma, reason abandoned.
I find them unusually incurious, abnormally unintelligent, amazingly inarticulate, fantastically uncultured, extraordinarily uneducated, and apparently quite proud of this.
They’re in psychological denial, a masterpiece of banal self-delusion, completely untethered from reality.
“Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do.”~Bertrand Russell
Think about the very first "lesson" in the bible:

The prize? Knowledge.

The punishment? Learning.

Basically, the Genesis lesson is this: ignorance is desirable. Knowledge is strictly forbidden.

And the rest of the evil bible pretty much falls in line with that bit of stupid.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#14015 Mar 18, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a lot of prospects here. Counter the mutations in the DNA to eliminate genetic disease. Drugs to target a specific cancer cell. Treatments with better results based on your genetic makeup.
This is stuff that's being researched now with some success.
But right now, we're always playing catch up to evolution.
It would be interesting if God's wrath of disease is relegated to same stature as God's wrath of lightning strikes.
I expect that one day, all genetic-related diseases will be conquered by modern scientific medicine.

DNA, as complicated as it is, with it's indirect method of getting things done (ERV, etc), is not infinite in scope.

And finite problems can be solved, eventually.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#14016 Mar 18, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Enron wished they had the power to make nations tremble with just a word - excommunication.(I'm not so sure about oil companies today.)
But I'd love to see what the currency is now to bid for the papacy. Days of yore, it might have been gold. Now it might be who knows where all the bodies are buried or who diddled the kids?
If the election of the Pope was divinely inspired, you'd think it would be a unanimous decision on the first vote. And in public...
Indeed-- but secrecy is the hallmark of people who have something serious (and usually ugly) to hide.

Nehwon

#14017 Mar 18, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Public Schools provide a forum for learning about ideas.
This they do very well
I consulted ELIZA about your reply. Here's the results:

"Public Schools provide a forum for learning about ideas."
ELIZA - Come, come, elucidate your thoughts.

"This they do very well"
ELIZA - Say, do you have any psychological problems?

Not bad for a 1960's era program...

Nehwon

#14018 Mar 18, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I expect that one day, all genetic-related diseases will be conquered by modern scientific medicine.
DNA, as complicated as it is, with it's indirect method of getting things done (ERV, etc), is not infinite in scope.
And finite problems can be solved, eventually.
Ah, but you would use that Ring with a desire to do good.

Others would use it to defend their people against all threats, real or imagined.

And yet others would use it to build an army to crush Rohan.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Muslims made unwelcome as times toughen (Oct '10) Fri Republican 97
News Survey: Nearly 9 in 10 US adults now have healt... Apr 22 Jose A Rodriguez 4
News JC, library at odds over $100,000 loan Apr 15 Hank Waxman 4
News Hillary Clinton fast facts Apr 12 discocrisco 1
News Ashland business leader faces 9 sex charges (Sep '13) Apr 10 neighbor 5
News John Sommer juried art show begins today; award... (Apr '10) Apr 10 Art Odyssey returns 2
News Vatican backs Obama as Nobel Peace Prize Winner (Oct '09) Apr 9 swedenforever 35
More from around the web