Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13278 Mar 11, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don´t people realise the big danger of huge nuclear infernos? All religions are unimported against this danger!
Well, I suspect this is because the record of failures, compared to successes, with nuclear power is so much better than the record of failure/success with other forms of energy.

Especially considering the newly discovered problems with nano-particles in smoke created by coal power plants-- these nano-particles easily escape all the current filtering methods, and get into the surrounding environment. What they do is as yet, unknown. Likely they increase the risks of certain cancers--but we simply do not know-- these are not normal particles, and biological life has no evolved defenses against them.

Even the much vaunted solar power panels are rampant with problems-- chiefly because they require exotic chemicals and ingredients, which typically come from poor countries, where really destructive mining practice is too common.

And your hydro-electric plants aren't without problems, either-- to create an efficient hydro plant, you must destroy multiple-square miles of habitat by flooding. In some places, these habitats were unique-- and are now extinct. Not to mention, the silting problem that all hydro-plants experience-- it requires significant costs to clear these of silt, cutting deeply into the overall payback. In some instances, the plant is so badly silted, that it no longer functions as a viable hydro-electric plant-- too little water behind the dam.

The bottom line: no method of power production is without sometimes dangerous consequences.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13279 Mar 11, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Imperialism especially in the US is the end of mankind
Perhaps.

We have yet to see the end results, though.

The US is no longer the #1 country in a lot of things, these days-- with the possible exception of spending.

And spending IS what drives the world's economies, regardless if you like that or not.:)

But the US is no longer #1 in education, health care, infant mortality, marriage (as in marriages that last), scientific discovery, medical science, electronics, journalism, university-graduates, political transparency, taxation, crime (as in less of it), illegal drug use (again, less of it), murder (fewer numbers per person), etc, etc, etc.

About the only thing the US leads the world in? Is spending on military projects.... the US still has the largest fraction of it's national budget spent on military toys.(equally sadly, the military >>PAY<< is way down the list... and military retirement is even worse...)

... meh.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13280 Mar 11, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course Christianity has never given up tortures at all. Even th esuppression of women is already a form of torture.
Good point; the 3 modern Abrahamic religions do practice horrid treatment of women for the most part.

The least horrid, being the not-fundamentalist Jews, who are actually rather progressive, in direct contrast to the other two (Xianiasm & Islam). But the strongly orthodox Jews are nearly as bad...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13281 Mar 11, 2013
Earth dies screaming wrote:
Religion should be about peace and those participating in acts of terrorism surely can not be genuine Muslims.
If religion entails violence, it should be stopped, but I believe many religious people are peaceful and some even carry out practicing their religion within the privacy of their own home.
Some do, that's true.

Alas, even the peaceful members worship the same, evil "holy" book that the violent zealots worship.

As such, they are giving the violent membership tacit support, by supporting the same evil books...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13282 Mar 11, 2013
So long as religion is practiced peacefully and not being forced upon non religious groups or indeed any other religious group not of the same religion, then we should not mock others for their beliefs in they are not harming anyone.
I agree as far as you go-- anyone is free to worship little pink elephants, so far as I'm concerned.

So long as they do not get special exemptions from civilized behavior under the LAW, of course.

In fact? Secular law must >>always<< trump religious law, if the two come into conflict.

Always.

As for mocking their beliefs? Why not?

What is so special about quack beliefs that exempt it from critical scrutiny?

Hmmm?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13283 Mar 11, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
Athiests are idiots if you belive your here out your own power your a fool. I don't follow a religion because there all pagan anyway, so don't come with that. I read the bible and it makes more sense than anything man thought up in there heads, we didn't come from monkeys or apes that's a theroy and a lie. Show me any evidence of evolution today? People don't want to beive there's a most high god because that means you must change your ways. If anyone actualy picked up the bible and read it they would see that it has everything init law, science, what to eat, creation it even talks about ufos and atoms. Atheisim is aload of rubbish and its a new thing, before that everybody belived there was a higher power. Safe
Warning!

Stealth Genuine Christian™ here....

... nothing new to contribute, apart from yet another hate-cultist.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13284 Mar 11, 2013
<quoted text>
Had this with OTT religious people before, by way of science , DNA , dinosaur fossils etc.
Can you show me one shred of evidence we were created by any kind of God?
Bear in mind the earth is not flat, scientists, astronauts , mathematicians etc have all proved to us the earth is round.
I will talk with you if you can drop the abusive tone chap.
Unlikely [that he'll not be abusive]-- note that within his first two sentences, he had insulted all non-believers.

Classic case of a True Believer™.

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13285 Mar 11, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text> dinosaurs are in the bible...
No.

There is zero mention of "dinosaur" in your big-book-o-hate (bible).

None, nada, ziltch, not-even-a-little-bit.

But you can lie about it all you like-- lying is your only strategy, right?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13286 Mar 11, 2013
jacktheladat1 wrote:
There's a saying; "It takes all sorts to make a world." MOST are on this thread.
Indeed.

You've revealed your hatred of all non-believers with your very first sentence.

Nothing new, here.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#13287 Mar 11, 2013
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahaha!

That's so funny! Okay my turn. What did Jesus say to his apostles as the roman soldiers dragged him away?

None of you fckers eat my Easter candy I am coming back Monday!

Lmfao!
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text> dinosaurs are in the bible this is what im saying about athiest they wana argue about something they dont know? and im being abusive because i dont agree with you come on chap. creation is all around you you cant get something out of nothing it takes something to create something, what was a kangaroo before it was a kangaroo?

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#13288 Mar 11, 2013
Feel better? Now take your blood pressure medicine before you have a stroke.
justme2631 wrote:
Athiests are idiots if you belive your here out your own power your a fool. I don't follow a religion because there all pagan anyway, so don't come with that. I read the bible and it makes more sense than anything man thought up in there heads, we didn't come from monkeys or apes that's a theroy and a lie. Show me any evidence of evolution today? People don't want to beive there's a most high god because that means you must change your ways. If anyone actualy picked up the bible and read it they would see that it has everything init law, science, what to eat, creation it even talks about ufos and atoms. Atheisim is aload of rubbish and its a new thing, before that everybody belived there was a higher power. Safe

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#13289 Mar 11, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
There
Their
They're

Your
You're

Learn the difference!

BTW... your post is just plain ridiculous.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#13290 Mar 11, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text> dinosaurs are in the bible this is what im saying about athiest they wana argue about something they dont know? and im being abusive because i dont agree with you come on chap. creation is all around you you cant get something out of nothing it takes something to create something, what was a kangaroo before it was a kangaroo?
According to your theory, then, something or someone must have created the god you worship.

Since: Mar 13

Sweden

#13291 Mar 11, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Warning!
Stealth Genuine Christian™ here....
... nothing new to contribute, apart from yet another hate-cultist.
im not christian i dont follow religion.

Sweden

#13292 Mar 11, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahaha!
That's so funny! Okay my turn. What did Jesus say to his apostles as the roman soldiers dragged him away?
None of you fckers eat my Easter candy I am coming back Monday!
Lmfao!
<quoted text>
obviously you never read the bible.

Sweden

#13293 Mar 11, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>
There
Their
They're
Your
You're
Learn the difference!
BTW... your post is just plain ridiculous.
explain your reasons?

Sweden

#13294 Mar 11, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
According to your theory, then, something or someone must have created the god you worship.
read genesis the answers there :)

Sweden

#13295 Mar 11, 2013
<quoted text>
Unlikely [that he'll not be abusive]-- note that within his first two sentences, he had insulted all non-believers.
Classic case of a True Believer™.
:)
i am a beliver just how u belive in you came from a monkey :)

Sweden

#13296 Mar 11, 2013
<quoted text>
No.
There is zero mention of "dinosaur" in your big-book-o-hate (bible).
None, nada, ziltch, not-even-a-little-bit.
But you can lie about it all you like-- lying is your only strategy, right?
obviously you never read the bible either :)

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#13297 Mar 11, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text> read genesis the answers there :)
Thanks, I've read Genesis.

Your deflection is answer enough to my statement.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Scher, Montrose physician and convicted murdere... (Jan '11) Dec 10 dan273 14
News High-speed chase brings Salem man jail time, de... Dec 8 Earl 4
News Why is Miguels Jr. The Most Popular Mexican Res... (Feb '10) Dec 3 Truth 33
News 3 Homebuilders To Avoid, 1 To Consider Now (Feb '12) Nov 30 treason watch 14
News Popa Wu (Wu-Tang) Ends Rumours Of DLAH (Hellkey... (Feb '12) Nov '17 OnyxGodAllahblackman 2
News Boulder police conducting additional interviews... (Oct '10) Nov '17 PelicanBreefs 279
News Kevin Spacey scandal: A complete list of the 13... Nov '17 Ex Senator Stillb... 7
More from around the web