Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments
11,201 - 11,220 of 21,468 Comments Last updated 10 hrs ago

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not wish to make an argument, I just mention my observations.
Atheists, mostly fanatics like yourself, seek nothing less than destroying religions. Fine, but they don't bring anything to fill the vacuum created. That's why many people cling to a religion or another, even if they aren't totally convinced about it.
People may believe in deity or not, but most still claim to have a religion. Repudiating a religion would be for many like jumping off a cliff; there is no return.
Beside, as a confessed "agnostic" christian told me, atheism don't provide such nice religious services at the important moments in your life. He was being candid and honest about it!
If having "nice religious services" is the only thing that gives your (obviously) pathetic "life" meaning?

Then, by all means, go for it! No atheist would stop you from doing a private ceremony where you can pretend that the Ultimate Creator of Everything gives a rat-sh7t about little old YOU.

The only thing they would insist on? Is you cannot pass LAWS that give you special status because of your delusions(faith).

That's pretty much it.

You get to keep pretending, but you must do it on your own dime.

But your religion would vanish within a year, if it lost it's tax exemption status....

... wouldn't it?

Yep.

Follow the money.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
There will be no defeat then ...
Probably because it had already faded into oblivion.

ROFL!

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
There will be no defeat then ...
Correct, all it requires is surrendering your unsupported mythic beliefs, it isn't a defeat, it's a victory.
insidesecrets

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly, you are unable to differentiate fantasy from reality.
I pity you.
Seriously-- you are less mature than an 8 year old.
There is an old saying, "Leave the atheist who loves his error to live his error."
insidesecrets

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Stalin wasn't what you think he was-- he was a leader of a cult, not unlike all religious institutions still around.
When he died, so did his cult--to be replaced by one nearly as evil, but a cult still.
Atheists do not believe in cults, you see-- cults are faith-based.
Exactly like your evil bible.
Atheism is a cult. It hasn't taken hold however because it requires a belief in the irrational. Any philosophy based on the idea that something comes from nothing is a philosphy of absurdity.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
There is an old saying, "Leave the atheist who loves his error to live his error."
Meaningless non-argument duly noted and recorded.

Classic non-think by mindless godbottery.

You have an actual point to make? No?

We thought not.
rio

Beckenham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
If having "nice religious services" is the only thing that gives your (obviously) pathetic "life" meaning?
Then, by all means, go for it! No atheist would stop you from doing a private ceremony where you can pretend that the Ultimate Creator of Everything gives a rat-sh7t about little old YOU.
The only thing they would insist on? Is you cannot pass LAWS that give you special status because of your delusions(faith).
That's pretty much it.
You get to keep pretending, but you must do it on your own dime.
But your religion would vanish within a year, if it lost it's tax exemption status....
... wouldn't it?
Yep.
Follow the money.
I think you are barking up the wrong tree here; I am not defending religion, just passing on observations. People like religious ceremonies, and many would not break from these traditions, that it irritates you or not.

I am not talking about myself, but in most families, christening, marrage and burial in church/temple are important events, they will not give up, even if their "faith" faded long time away.

Tax exemption on religious ground (which is what yopu imply) maybe something you have in the States, but for us in Britain, it's a completely alien concept.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is a cult. It hasn't taken hold however because it requires a belief in the irrational. Any philosophy based on the idea that something comes from nothing is a philosphy of absurdity.
Well then religious beliefs in a god that made everything falls right into that something from nothing category, after all most atheist believe in evolution where life evolved from something and the religious believe life evolved out of a mind .
rio

Beckenham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Probably because it had already faded into oblivion.
ROFL!
Not by a long shot, I can tell you.

Keep taking your dreams for reality.

Religionists (and I am not one of them BTW) are still the majority on the planet.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is a cult.
No--it's not. Atheism has no belief, it has no creed, it has no motto, it has no "holy book"-- none of that.

The sum-total of atheism is this: do not belief in gods.

That's it.

To qualify as a cult? You MUST have stupid beliefs (such as the BuyBull, or Zombie-Jewsus, or a Holy Goat who raped Mary).

THAT is a cult-- of which you are no doubt a member.
insidesecrets wrote:
It hasn't taken hold however because it requires a belief in the irrational.
Lie.

1) atheism is the fastest growing category in the world, in excess of 20% of the world's population, and growing.

It exceeds all brands of Genuine Christianity™, except for Genuine Catholics™(but they are all pedophiles anyway, so they don't count, right?)

More to the point? As I already pointed out?

Athiesm has no beliefs of any kind. It's summary LACK OF BELIEF is it's single defining characteristic: NO belief in gods.
insidesecrets wrote:
Any philosophy based on the idea that something comes from nothing is a philosphy of absurdity.
Indeed: your Genuine Christianity™ fits your final line perfectly.

And it IS a philosophy of the absurd: your terrorist-god creates a world, populates it with idiots, which he then drowns, and lets it re-grow through incest, and then splits himself to kill himself, and proceeds to raise himself from the not-really-dead state, in order to pay himself back for the sins he, himself created in the first place.

That's beyond absurd, actually.

But that IS what you call Genuine Christianity™

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are barking up the wrong tree here; I am not defending religion, just passing on observations. People like religious ceremonies, and many would not break from these traditions, that it irritates you or not.
I could not possibly care less, if you want to attach dead chicken-feet to a baby's rattle and dance on the graves of your dead in your underwear.

If that is what it takes to make your pathetic life have a semblance of meaning? Have at it.

It bothers me not at all.

And you did write your "point" as if such things were extremely important to you.
rio wrote:
I am not talking about myself, but in most families, christening, marrage and burial in church/temple are important events, they will not give up, even if their "faith" faded long time away.
It certainly sounds like projection of your own deeply disturbing need for "cosmic significance".
rio wrote:
Tax exemption on religious ground (which is what yopu imply) maybe something you have in the States, but for us in Britain, it's a completely alien concept.
Yet, you still have state-supported religion...... so you are hardly free from guilt, are you?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Not by a long shot, I can tell you.
Keep taking your dreams for reality.
Religionists (and I am not one of them BTW) are still the majority on the planet.
Sure, sure-- you keep on lying like this, if it makes your religious life have some pretend meaning.

If you are not religious? Why are you trying to very hard to defend it, hmmmm?

Pardon me--but I've seen all flavors of "strategy" by religious-types, trying to pretend they aren't "religious".

The very tone of your posts makes it pretty clear, you're highly sympathetic to religion, if not an actual participant.

Which makes you an enabler of religion.
rio

Beckenham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Sure, sure-- you keep on lying like this, if it makes your religious life have some pretend meaning.
If you are not religious? Why are you trying to very hard to defend it, hmmmm?
Pardon me--but I've seen all flavors of "strategy" by religious-types, trying to pretend they aren't "religious".
The very tone of your posts makes it pretty clear, you're highly sympathetic to religion, if not an actual participant.
I am not religious and I don't believe in religion, but I tolerate most as harmless expressions of some people's spirituality.

You are a very jumpy sort of atheist, who seems to see the enemy everywhere. That's bordering on paranoia.
I hope you check under your bed at night! LOL
For you lot, everyone is lying, deluded and pretending.
You, atheist activists, don't seem to be a happy lot: just an observation...

I am very sympathetic to people wanting to keep their traditions, and I wouldn't dream of eradicating religions, as you atheist fanatics do. Religions don't bother me, and atheists neither, unless they start preaching to me like you try to do!
Roopie

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Already?
insidesecrets

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
No--it's not. Atheism has no belief, it has no creed, it has no motto, it has no "holy book"-- none of that.
The sum-total of atheism is this: do not belief in gods.
That's it.
To qualify as a cult? You MUST have stupid beliefs (such as the BuyBull, or Zombie-Jewsus, or a Holy Goat who raped Mary).
THAT is a cult-- of which you are no doubt a member.
<quoted text>
Lie.
1) atheism is the fastest growing category in the world, in excess of 20% of the world's population, and growing.
It exceeds all brands of Genuine Christianity™, except for Genuine Catholics™(but they are all pedophiles anyway, so they don't count, right?)
More to the point? As I already pointed out?
Athiesm has no beliefs of any kind. It's summary LACK OF BELIEF is it's single defining characteristic: NO belief in gods.
<quoted text>
Indeed: your Genuine Christianity™ fits your final line perfectly.
And it IS a philosophy of the absurd: your terrorist-god creates a world, populates it with idiots, which he then drowns, and lets it re-grow through incest, and then splits himself to kill himself, and proceeds to raise himself from the not-really-dead state, in order to pay himself back for the sins he, himself created in the first place.
That's beyond absurd, actually.
But that IS what you call Genuine Christianity™
You are worse than a rabid Jehovah Witness! Attacking a belief in God doesn't solidify your disbelief. It simply makes you a quarrelsome, intolerant, irrational whiner.

Religion in the 21st is no longer in charge. You have nothing to fear. Industry is in charge and propelled by corrupt science. Since the atheist does not believe that God exists then he cannot lay our modern nightmare (climate change) at the feet of the Abrahamic religions.
rio

Beckenham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
You are worse than a rabid Jehovah Witness! Attacking a belief in God doesn't solidify your disbelief. It simply makes you a quarrelsome, intolerant, irrational whiner.
Religion in the 21st is no longer in charge. You have nothing to fear. Industry is in charge and propelled by corrupt science. Since the atheist does not believe that God exists then he cannot lay our modern nightmare (climate change) at the feet of the Abrahamic religions.
Exactly!!
I just cannot believe the intolerent fanaticism of these atheist activists. What do they fear now?
rio

Beckenham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Yet, you still have state-supported religion...... so you are hardly free from guilt, are you?
In Britain?
Yes, we have the Church of England officially as state religion, with our monarch as its leader.

But the CoE doesn't benefit from any special favour compared to other denominations and supports itself without any subvension from the public purse. It get the same tax breaks as any other charities.

Also, what guilt am I supposed to feel, and for what?
rio

Beckenham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
If you mean that, unlike you, I tolerate religions and don't seek to destroy them, I plead guilty.

I don't feel any right to stop people in their beliefs, which are mostly harmless.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not religious and I don't believe in religion, but I tolerate most as harmless expressions of some people's spirituality.
You are a very jumpy sort of atheist, who seems to see the enemy everywhere. That's bordering on paranoia.
I hope you check under your bed at night! LOL
For you lot, everyone is lying, deluded and pretending.
You, atheist activists, don't seem to be a happy lot: just an observation...
I am very sympathetic to people wanting to keep their traditions, and I wouldn't dream of eradicating religions, as you atheist fanatics do. Religions don't bother me, and atheists neither, unless they start preaching to me like you try to do!
No, I'm not jumpy-- I'm experienced.

And I suspect you are just another lying god-robot.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm experienced at godbot persecution.

For example: you god-robots are hell-bent on stripping women's rights in the US.

For example: you hategodbots are always against equal rights for gay folk-- you would strip all rights away, if you could.

For example: you hategodbots are tying to push your evil creationism into public education.

I'd say you hate-filled theists are still very much in charge.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••