Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 23,171

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story
rio

UK

#11888 Feb 2, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
I was demonstrating how atheism has its own history of brutality, violence and genocide.
I have already mentioned that, but there are no better deaf than atheists who don't want to hear!

Regimes based on atheist doctrine (USSR, China, Cambodia, North Korea, etc...) have killed an enormous number of people during the 20th century, mostly believers.

But do you know what atheists say? well, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot and Kim Ill jung were religionist during their youth !!
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#11889 Feb 2, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
...The belief in gods and an afterlife is a common fact of human nature demonstrated across different cultures for centuries....
Belief in god(s) is superstition and superstition is declining in the face of science and education. I think the communications and globalisation revolutions through which we are living has accelerated the process.

Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology

It's really that simple.
insidesecrets

Albuquerque, NM

#11890 Feb 2, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Consider the enormous amount of evidence there is to support the notion that there really were witches in Salem:
The governor of Massachusetts (William Phips) was involved. A court was established with the prosecution, defence and judge; all respected pillars of the local communities.
Thorough investigations were carried out and witness were cross-examined. A lot of evidence was gathered and many people confessed. All these proceedings were documented with hundreds of sworn affidavits, interviews and other court documents.
In other words a scale of evidence and testimonies far in excess of anything there is for Jesus.
The Salem Witch Trials were fairly recent and we have the original documents, not copies of copies of copies, made centuries later. We have the sworn and signed eye-witness testimonies from the very people who observed the magical events taking place.
There are even volumes written by witnesses to the trial. The evidence is plentiful.
So was the evidence in Stalin's "show trials" that resulted in the deaths of thousands and not just fourteen women and five men.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#11891 Feb 2, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I have already mentioned that, but there are no better deaf than atheists who don't want to hear!..
How you of all contributors can write that! Lol!

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#11892 Feb 2, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
So was the evidence in Stalin's "show trials" that resulted in the deaths of thousands and not just fourteen women and five men.
I was comparing the evidence for witches in Salem to the evidence for magical goings-on in ancient Jerusalem.

insidesecrets

Albuquerque, NM

#11893 Feb 2, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Belief in god(s) is superstition and superstition is declining in the face of science and education. I think the communications and globalisation revolutions through which we are living has accelerated the process.
Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
It's really that simple.
You atheists are a hypocritical lot. You claim that fantasies about superhuman beings are a waste of time. You will thumb your noses at Jesus as superstition, and then log onto World of Warcraft so you can pretend to be an orc for hours.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#11894 Feb 2, 2013
More trouble?...From:
http://www.sfcg.org/programmes/jerusalem/Univ...
"Holy sites are places of profound significance and sacred religious attachment whose special character and integrity are to be preserved and protected against all violence and desecration."
And
"In codifying issues of definitions, access, education, sharing, establishment, reconstruction, memorialisation, expropriation, excavation, research and monitoring of holy sites, this Universal Code on Holy Sites lays out the foundation for a cooperative, concrete implementation plan for preventing and ending conflict in relation to sacred places."
Unquote.

How many wars has 'holding things sacred' caused?

Religion, ideology and nationalism are the three main causes of human conflict. Try having a war without them. Religion is the easiest to dispose of and it will end one lot of senseless divisions and fighting 'in the name of God'.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sacred
Sacred implies "to",(as in 'this is sacred to me'). Places, objects, good books, practices involving halal meats, child mutilation or whatever aren't inherently sacred. Almost nothing is sacred to everyone without exceptions. There is only democracy and consensus about things and issues. In that sense, nothing is sacred.
rio

UK

#11895 Feb 2, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Belief in god(s) is superstition and superstition is declining in the face of science and education. I think the communications and globalisation revolutions through which we are living has accelerated the process.
Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
It's really that simple.
You have a very simplistic view about religions, far too rationalist. You think it's only about belief.

The fact is that religions aren't only about beliefs, but about traditions, cultures, mentalities, philosophy, etc... transmitted from generation to generation.

Not every christian, muslim, jew, indu, buddhist, sikh, are 100% behind the dogma, or even understand it, but most feel part of a community that has deep rooted origins. Many people become lapsed christian, non-practising muslim, etc... but still cling to the identity belonging to a faith gives them.

Atheists may be right or not, I don't care, but atheism doesn't bring the same warmth and cohesion belonging to a religion does.

As for "Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038", who do the "religionists" will have to surrender too? LOL

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#11896 Feb 2, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
You mentioned Salem specifically.
<quoted text>
I see. When atheists are involved, it's just a moral failure, not an "utter" moral failure. How convenient.
<quoted text>
The belief in gods and an afterlife is a common fact of human nature demonstrated across different cultures for centuries. You atheists must demonstrate how denying your human nature has value.
<quoted text>
No. I was demonstrating how atheism has its own history of brutality, violence and genocide.
No, you were making the fallacy of equivocation, also known as the false cause.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#11897 Feb 2, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
You atheists are a hypocritical lot. You claim that fantasies about superhuman beings are a waste of time. You will thumb your noses at Jesus as superstition, and then log onto World of Warcraft so you can pretend to be an orc for hours.
WoW is a waste of computer processes. Why do you play it so much?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#11898 Feb 2, 2013
rio wrote:
As for "Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038", who do the "religionists" will have to surrender too? LOL
Your rational mind.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#11899 Feb 2, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a very simplistic view about religions, far too rationalist. You think it's only about belief.
The fact is that religions aren't only about beliefs, but about traditions, cultures, mentalities, philosophy, etc... transmitted from generation to generation.
Not every christian, muslim, jew, indu, buddhist, sikh, are 100% behind the dogma, or even understand it, but most feel part of a community that has deep rooted origins. Many people become lapsed christian, non-practising muslim, etc... but still cling to the identity belonging to a faith gives them.
Atheists may be right or not, I don't care, but atheism doesn't bring the same warmth and cohesion belonging to a religion does.
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/middle-ground

You should not utilize fallacies, it destroys your argument without the need to refute it.

Atheism is not an ideology, it's a descriptive about one very specific notion, and nothing more. It cannot "bring" you anything, it cannot "say" anything, it cannot "tell you" anything. It is only the lack of belief in gods, that's it. Of course this escapes some atheists as well, but if you're going to try to make an argument, you shouldn't use something that is demonstrably inaccurate as the basis of it.
rio

UK

#11900 Feb 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is not an ideology, it's a descriptive about one very specific notion, and nothing more. It cannot "bring" you anything, it cannot "say" anything, it cannot "tell you" anything. It is only the lack of belief in gods, that's it. Of course this escapes some atheists as well, but if you're going to try to make an argument, you shouldn't use something that is demonstrably inaccurate as the basis of it.
I do not wish to make an argument, I just mention my observations.

Atheists, mostly fanatics like yourself, seek nothing less than destroying religions. Fine, but they don't bring anything to fill the vacuum created. That's why many people cling to a religion or another, even if they aren't totally convinced about it.

People may believe in deity or not, but most still claim to have a religion. Repudiating a religion would be for many like jumping off a cliff; there is no return.

Beside, as a confessed "agnostic" christian told me, atheism don't provide such nice religious services at the important moments in your life. He was being candid and honest about it!
rio

UK

#11901 Feb 2, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Your rational mind.
There will be no defeat then ...

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11902 Feb 2, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>The Elvis and Michael Jackson cults will fit right in with that mess. ;)
Oooh, I forgot about those two.

You could be right.

I would also predict another couple: a cult stemming from Faux SNooze too. They would even dig up archaic "miracles" from their broadcasts...

:D

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11903 Feb 2, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I am sure he thighed her an ancient Muslim, christian and Jewish tradition.
<quoted text>
Without a doubt.

These hate-cults abused women-- treated them as less valuable than livestock.

Ugly cults they were ...

... and still are.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11904 Feb 2, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kidding me? Why did you post this if not to smear all atheists - including secular humanists - with the deeds of unrelated ideologies?:
"The historical record of collective atheism is thousands of times worse on an annual basis than Christianity’s worst and most infamous bloodbath, the Spanish Inquisition."
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
And so what if not all Christians burned witches? Do you all need to light one up for it to be a problem? Should it matter to me that only half of you would burn me?
Finally, can you name one society in history where Christians had the power to burn or impale unbelievers with impunity, but elected not to use it? Can you name one instance of Christians saying, "Yes, we could burn people alive that we don't approve of, but we choose not to do it, because that would be barbaric and sadistic"?
Me, neither.
Exactly why even the moderates Xianists are culpable for the deeds of their fanatical brethren.

... "hatecult" is too soft.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11905 Feb 2, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Stalin wasn't what you think he was-- he was a leader of a cult, not unlike all religious institutions still around.

When he died, so did his cult--to be replaced by one nearly as evil, but a cult still.

Atheists do not believe in cults, you see-- cults are faith-based.

Exactly like your evil bible.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11906 Feb 2, 2013
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly, you are unable to differentiate fantasy from reality.

I pity you.

Seriously-- you are less mature than an 8 year old.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#11907 Feb 2, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not wish to make an argument, I just mention my observations.
Atheists, mostly fanatics like yourself, seek nothing less than destroying religions. Fine, but they don't bring anything to fill the vacuum created. That's why many people cling to a religion or another, even if they aren't totally convinced about it.
People may believe in deity or not, but most still claim to have a religion. Repudiating a religion would be for many like jumping off a cliff; there is no return.
Beside, as a confessed "agnostic" christian told me, atheism don't provide such nice religious services at the important moments in your life. He was being candid and honest about it!
If having "nice religious services" is the only thing that gives your (obviously) pathetic "life" meaning?

Then, by all means, go for it! No atheist would stop you from doing a private ceremony where you can pretend that the Ultimate Creator of Everything gives a rat-sh7t about little old YOU.

The only thing they would insist on? Is you cannot pass LAWS that give you special status because of your delusions(faith).

That's pretty much it.

You get to keep pretending, but you must do it on your own dime.

But your religion would vanish within a year, if it lost it's tax exemption status....

... wouldn't it?

Yep.

Follow the money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vietnam censures former chief inspector; seizes... 2 hr meaningless 1
KRESA considers seeking special-ed tax increase... Dec 8 Rick 1
Water woes among topics for 8 governors in Vegas Dec 6 Viewer 2
Ho Chi Minh City to host International Dance Fe... Dec 5 SHlTWORMDAEGUDEBD... 9
OPP Release Festive RIDE Campaign Results Dec 3 not too festive 1
Vietnam PM approves 9-day Lunar New Year holiday Dec 2 CAPTHUICHADRUGNGU... 12
Top 9 Vacation Destinations For Wall Street Geeks Nov 30 Andarz Abedini 2
More from around the web