Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments (Page 549)

Showing posts 10,961 - 10,980 of21,375
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11655
Jan 31, 2013
 

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11656
Jan 31, 2013
 

Judged:

3

http://creation.mo bi/atheist-god-hate

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11657
Jan 31, 2013
 

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11658
Jan 31, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

1

insidesecrets wrote:
Yet the world did survive, and went on to suffer the atrocities of godless communist regimes where millions of people were maimed and killed ... The historical record of collective atheism is thousands of times worse on an annual basis than Christianitys worst and most infamous bloodbath, the Spanish Inquisition.
What do you think would be the difference if Pol Pot and Mao had been Christians? Are you implying that that would have saved lives? Hitler and Stalin were raised in Christianity. It didn't seem to make much difference, did it? Not any more than it did during the Spanish Inquisition or the Salem witch burnings.

Totalitarian ideologies like Stalinism are simply religions like Christianity and Islam, but with human gods. They are all cults of personality, where worship of the leader and strict devotion to his pronouncements is demanded. They are equally authoritarian and intolerant, and as you noted, each have long histories of genocide.

Secular humanism, which is only guilty of giving the world modern liberal democracies, human rights, and science, repudiates it all:

"We affirm humanism as a realistic alternative to theologies of despair and ideologies of violence and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in the service to others."
insidesecrets wrote:
Add this to the unholy gruesome slaughter of abortion and the numbers are unconscionably staggering!
Every member of the Supreme Court that voted with the majority in Roe vs. Wade was a theist. Most abortions have been requested by Christian women. I'm afraid that blood is on your hands.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11659
Jan 31, 2013
 

Judged:

2

01Justsayin wrote:
Atheism - The theory or BELIEF that God does not exist.(google it) There most certainly is scientific evidence that God is real. Look it up. I ain't doing your work for you. However there is NO SCIENTIFIC evidence to prove that God does not exist. It's not possible. You just can't do it. The mere BELIEF that God does not exist is a BELIEF within itself. Ergo you are a hypocrite.
What value would a proof that gods do not or cannot exist be? Who would it benefit? Not me. And not you. Right?

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11660
Jan 31, 2013
 

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11661
Jan 31, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

1

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
If theists could comprehend what cannot be objectified there would not be so many versions of God. God is a metaphor for that which transcends all levels of intelletual thought and religons the touchstones of our "sensed" divinity expressed.
If "the god!" is beyond all intellectual thought or imaginings able to be conceived of by man, then, how can you make that statement?

Wait, don't tell me, you know.

<laughs>

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11662
Jan 31, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

Why is it that theists have such a hard time copying and pasting links, and further, why do they have problems copying and pasting links that are crappy, too?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11663
Jan 31, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

01Justsayin wrote:
Sorry, but where did you say your proof was? I looked at those pieces - nothing. Which one did you think contained a proof in it?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11664
Jan 31, 2013
 

Judged:

1

01Justsayin wrote:
What proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that God does not exist?
Who is "God"? Jehovah-Jesus? The proof that that god is a mythological creature is in the bible it is said to have written, which is self-refuting. It tells us about a perfect god, and then describes a monster in a book full of errors. There are no more perfect gods making mistakes than there are married bachelors.

A real god would have known how the universe and life on earth evolved.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11665
Jan 31, 2013
 
01Justsayin wrote:
I'm not a hypocrite as I know what I believe and why I believe it and I don't engage in the same behaviors I condemn others for. In fact, I don't condemn anyone at all.
Then somebody's posting in your name and making you look like a hypocrite. From http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... :

"The total body count for the ninety years between 1917 and 2007 is approximately 148 million dead at the bloody hands of only fifty-two atheists"

"the greed and gluttony of an amoral science driven vision to industrialize the world"

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11666
Jan 31, 2013
 

Judged:

1

01Justsayin wrote:
I never said that God didn't exist. Atheists did. By definition atheism is the theory or belief that God doesn't exist. It doesn't specify which god. It just says God. Back to my question: What proof or evidence do you have to support your BELIEF that God doesn't exist?
Who or what is "God"? If you can't define it, you can't very well expect others to take seriously your claim that it exists.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11667
Jan 31, 2013
 

Judged:

3

Atheism tends to exalt reason, but it is actually irrational. Atheists tend to put a lot of stock in the emperical method and in logic. One cannot disprove God exists using the emperical method. You might reply: But I can't disprove a giant purple frog on Mars controls the universe, either. Granted, one can never disprove any given thing exists. The atheistic position denying God's existence, if based on the emperical method, is absurd. Why do I say that? In order to prove the assertion No God exists experimentally, one would need to comprehensively know all of reality. Comprehensive knowledge of reality is called omniscience. One would need to be omniscient in order to prove there is no God, but if one were omniscient one would, by definition, already be God! So, based on emperical methodology, the only one capable of disproving the existence of God would be God himself! But some would say you can indeed assert something does not exist if its existence is logically self contradictory, such as a square triangle. By definition it cannot exist. It is illogical for something to be a square and to also be a triangle. Again, granted, but this line of reasoning assumes logic and real meaning exist and are our basis for knowledge --something an atheist has no right to assert! The existence of God is not only logically possible, it is philosophically essential. One cannot prove logic exists unless one first presupposes a God in whom reason and meaning are transcendentally rooted, otherwise these categories are mere philosphical prejuduces. Atheism is inherently self-contradictory. The evidence for the existence of God is there for all to see, only we refuse to see it. King David wrote: The fool says in his heart there is no God.(Psalm 14:1) In other words, Atheism is irrational. Apart from God there is no basis for truth or ethics. For the sake of brevity, let's simply consider ethics.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11668
Jan 31, 2013
 

Judged:

3

1

1

Those who argue that morality is properly based upon what society as a whole deems moral have a big problem. What one society says is moral another says is immoral. Nazi Germany held that it was morally good and beneficial to exterminate the Jewish people. The Allies saw the Nazis as evil and fought against them. Who was right? If one believes God gave the law You shall not murder, the answer is obvious. Any society that advocates murder is evil. How can an atheist respond? Most would admit the Nazis were evil, but according to what standard? Were the Nazis evil just because the Allies said they were evil or were they in fact evil? One can try to argue that it isn't just what a few societies say that matters, but what the majority of human societies agree upon. This does provide a better basis, since God has given us a conscience, but it has been corrupted by rebellion. At one time most human societies placed less value on female offspring than on males. In many societies female infants were left to die. In some places this exists today. This is morally wrong, no matter if the whole of human society were to say otherwise! Basing morality on human society does not provide an adequate answer.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11669
Jan 31, 2013
 

Judged:

3

1

1

What of an evolutionary model for morality? Why not posit that whatever benefits human survival is moral? To some this may be appealing, but first ask some questions. Why, based upon atheistic assumptions, should we logically value human survival? What difference does it all make? Why is life valuable? Isn't belief in human survival itself a moral assumption, a value judgement that has no basis in an atheistic world view? Furthermore, consider what an ethic based solely on survival could lead to: the elimination of those perceived to have less survival value. The Nazi movement, based upon an evolutionary eugenic ideal of developing a super race, destroyed those deemed by them inferior or unsuitable. Reproduction was to be limited to those deemed most fit. Mankind, when left to its own devices to develop its moral basis, commits systemized murder and oppression. Consider the atrocities of Stalin, Pol Pot, Hitler, and the horrible situations we have witnessed in Rwanda and Bosnia. Both atheists and religious people so easily justify murder. Just because we have also seen horrors committed by those claiming to believe in some sort of god doesn't disprove my point. I'm not advocating just any old god! It is still true that when any society abandons the God-given law, You shall

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11670
Jan 31, 2013
 

Judged:

2

What of basing morality on one's personal preferences? What of just saying you can know what is wrong by following your heart? What a dippy idea this is! Jeffrey Dahmer's heart led him to murder and cannibalize his fellow humans! Basing morality on feelings is the ultimate in irrationality. This puts moral judgement on the level of personal taste. Dahmer might have thought you suitable to his taste!

I've met many atheists who are judgmental of religious people who have committed great atrocities, but upon what basis? Does this make any sense? Atheistic assumptions irresistibly lead to the conclusion that morality is nothing more than a matter of personal or societal preference. Based upon an atheistic philosophy, the very appropriate disdain for the despicable murderers of humanity makes about as much sense as a dog lover's disdain of those who prefer cats! How silly. Unless there is a moral standard beyond individual or societal preference, there is no logical basis for condemning atrocity. I challenge any atheist to give me a basis for ethics beyond mere personal preference, social custom, or survival. They simply cannot do it. Post-modern philosophers have come to the conclusion that there is no hope of finding morality or meaning based on materialistic presuppositions. They are quite right. It is a good thing that many atheists are too decent and too inconsistent to live out the irresistible moral conclusions of their philosophy!

Another thought: we even transgress the scruples we ourselves invent. Is this logical? No, but this is consistent with the Biblical view of mankind, which says we are by our nature law-breakers and rebels who don't want to believe in the true God. Thank God there is an amnesty program for rebels and atheists!(More on that later.)

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11671
Jan 31, 2013
 

Judged:

2

A wise rabbi, the Apostle Paul, wrote:

The anger of God is being revealed from heaven against all the Godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. For although they knew God, they neither glorified Him as God nor gave thanks to Him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise they became fools2...

God's existence is clearly seen in what He has made. The intricate brilliance of the created order reveals the mind of an infinitely intelligent Designer just as surely as a great work of architecture or a complex piece of technology reveals the mind of its designer. Furthermore, our own consciences and sense of justice, though corrupted by our rebellion, still tell us there is right and wrong and a God who has a perfect moral standard. The truth is, if you are an atheist, it is not because it makes sense, it is because you don't want to face up to the fact that there is a God out there to whom you are accountable. You don't like God and are trying to hide from Him. You need not feel this way. God has provided a way back for you.

How do we know God exists? Unless we begin with the assumption that he does, we can't know anything else exists! Unless we presuppose that God created us with the ability to know things through sensory experience and reason, we have no philosophical basis for trusting either. Philosophically speaking, unless we know a wise God gave us our senses, how can we know everything isn't an illusion? As for reason, we can't prove the validity of reason without using reason! We must assume what we are trying to prove in order to prove it. All human reasoning is circular, but when we leave God out of the circle we are left like a dog chasing its tail without any hope of catching it! Without beginning with the philosophical presupposition that a God who has spoken to mankind exists, we are doomed to reason in circles with no way of knowing how to discern truth.

As for positive proof, there is the communication of God to mankind. Moses received the Law at Sinai. This was attested by great miracles witnessed by millions. The Hebrew prophets foretold the rise and fall of nations and spoke of the coming of a Messiah. Jesus fulfilled the prophecies of the Jewish Bible.3 His resurrection is historically documented, having been witnessed by the early Messianic Jewish believers who recorded their testimonies and were willing to die for what they knew to be true.4

Many have asked: Does life have meaning? Why do I exist? There is abundant meaning to life when we know the Living God. Frankly, atheism is boring, but knowing, enjoying, and serving God gives life purpose and excitement. On what basis does human life have value? Each of us was created in God's image and therefore each individual is of great value.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11672
Jan 31, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

1

Good news! There is hope for atheists! After the Vietnam War there were many expatriate Americans living in Canada and other places. An amnesty program was established to welcome these people home. The message was: Come back home. All is forgiven. You will be received back with open arms. God also has an amnesty program. The true God is both just and loving. His justice demands that our rebellion be punished. His love provided a means to fulfill this justice and restore us to a right relationship with him. This is where the Messiah comes in. Out of love for us, God took on a human nature and visited earth to take upon himself the punishment we deserve for our lawbreaking. Jesus died as a substitute for rebels to pay the penalty of those who deserve it, whether religious or atheistic. There is a judgement day coming, and God has proven this to us by raising Jesus from the dead. You have this choice: let the Messiah take your punishment or take it yourself. The choice seems obvious to me! Why turn down a free gift? What a great amnesty program! God wants each of us to admit we are wrong, receive the payment He has provided, and come in with our hands up letting Him rule over our lives. He promises to renew us, to enable us to live a new life in His service, and to let us experience His presence forever. God calls atheists to come back home, spiritually speaking. All can be forgiven, even atheism. God calls atheists to turn from their rebellion and to trust the Living God through his Messiah, Jesus.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11673
Jan 31, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

01Justsayin wrote:
Atheism tends to exalt reason, but it is actually ....
Now you're plagerizing WordPress opinion pieces. Exactly how low will you stoop?

And this one talks about ethics. Apparently you have none.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11674
Jan 31, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

insidesecrets wrote:
Without respect for all living things, without the capacity to live in harmony with the natural world, we have brought ourselves to the brink of extinction.
[1] "We want to protect and enhance the earth, to preserve it for future generations, and to avoid inflicting needless suffering on other species." - The Affirmations of Humanism

[2]We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand- James Watt, Secretary of the Interior under Reagan

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 10,961 - 10,980 of21,375
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••