Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments (Page 538)

Showing posts 10,741 - 10,760 of21,341
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
There is high time for Americans to become atheists!
Agreed.

We are working on it-- at last count, the fraction of "not associated with religion" was around 20-25% or so.

And rising rapidly-- higher among the younger crowd, than among the older set.

There is hope for us after all.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol! Where do you get them from?
<quoted text>
Wow! Holy Hypocrisy
Catholicism. Thy name is spelled "h-y-p-o-c-r-i-t-e"

Is anyone really surprised at this?

:)

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
I accepted mtimber's conditions: they were the last two people in the world, and she was unwilling to procreate. It was a pretty simple ethical problem,although mtimber thinks I made the wrong choice.
Let's test our ethical IQs with a moral dilemma as an exercise in ethics. What would you do? This test only has one question, but a difficult one. Please don't answer it without giving it careful thought. By giving your most honest answer, you will discover where you stand on the moral spectrum.
The test features a fictional situation, one in which you will have to make a difficult decision. Your answer should be spontaneous - given within a few seconds of reading the question.
Ready? Begin!
You're in New Orleans in 2005, and there is chaos everywhere around you caused by hurricane Katrina and the resultant flooding. You are a photojournalist working for a major newspaper caught in the middle of this great disaster. The situation is overwhelming, and you're trying to shoot career-making photos, as houses and people swirl around you, some disappearing under the water.
Then you see a man in the water fighting for his life, trying not to be swept away with the water and debris. You move closer. Somehow the man looks familiar. Suddenly, you know who it is ... it's George W. Bush! At the same time you notice that the raging waters are about to take him under, forever.
You have two options. You can save him, or you can take the most dramatic photos of your career. You can save George W. Bush's life, or you can shoot a sure Pulitzer Prize winning photo of him dying.
Here's the dilemma: Color, or would you rather go with the classic simplicity and aesthetic value of black and white?
Color. You can always convert a color photo to black and white later.

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text> Anything that can be done, should be done. There are live humans at risk.
That is not true in the case of the man raping the woman. There is no one to save but himself and/or her. There are too many other possibilities not stated in the original post, but even if there wasn't 'rape is still rape', and the victim of this rape is a factor which may end up deleting both the rapist and the pregnancy from the equation.
What killed off the human population, are there any way for other humans to have survived, will these two be able to continue to survive, is the detritus of this human eradication something that an infant could survive, does the only woman left on earth know any of this?
If someone was to ask me a hypothetical question, I don't think I'd answer.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
Just to point out to those that keep responding to me, I can now be engaged on this thread:
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TUGI0DV...
Follow you?

Didn't you see the sign? We are atheist, following is not what we do, it goes against our nature. But you do know where the door is, right? Tata.

Since: Mar 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Actually thy would make sense as soon as he started posting Derek4 stopped. It seems likely Derek4 could have been banned for flooding the threads with his trolling and spam and had to switch to another screen name. I mean this timber chump shows up out of nowhere and floods the threads with trolling and spam same as Derek4.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I would be he's using a proxy, due to having been bannated by Topix.
How much you want to bet on that?
:D

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
If someone was to ask me a hypothetical question, I don't think I'd answer.
Sure you would.
:)See? >>> Color. You can always conver a color photo to black and white later.

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Reason Personified wrote:
Sure you would.
:)See? >>> Color. You can always conver a color photo to black and white later.
I was speaking hypocritically.

MUQ

Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I was speaking hypocritically.
You mean... your True Colors?
MUQ

Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
The garden was a display of child abuse writ large.
Period.
There is no other interpretation that makes any sense.
This being, who was the de-facto parents of Adam & Eve, deliberately and with malice, placed a known killer and evil being within this "garden".
And then, deliberately and with malice, turned away, blind to the fates of his children.
And then, deliberately and with evil intent, stood by allowing the mental-rape of the children to take place.
And then, acting on his evil intent, proceeds to torture the children for failing to best another god in a contest of wits.
All the fault, all the responsibility falls directly onto your god:
1) he failed to create beings who could withstand argument from another god (snake)
2) he failed to give them understanding of consequences (they had no knowledge of good or evil, remember)
3) he failed to stick around to protect them from harm
4) he failed to remove dangerous gods from his "garden"-- knowing the consequences of that failure (omniscient, remember?).
5) he proceeded to punish these children for HIS OWN MISTAKES.
That last one is evil without limit-- but he makes it worse:
6) he proceeds to PUNISH all subsequent generations! Even though they were innocent of ANY wrongdoing! That is even more evil--
I think it is "literal interpretation" of Genesis and Bible that has contributed towards this Atheist movement in Western countries.

Neither Bible nor book of Genesis should be interpreted literally, because these books were not "dictated by God" .

Church has done great dis-service to their religion by insisting that Biblical books are revealed word of God and insisted on its literal interpretation.

The Church's illogical stand has been a major factor for origin and rise of Atheism in the West.

And the problem is that when they start rejecting Bible, they reject all scriptures, because in their view, there can never be any book or scripture better or more authentic than their Bible.

So the church has caused more people to go away from religion and then reject all religions and all books of God.

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

<quoted text>
Excellent analysis.
If there are some sort of "higher god-laws" that permit a god or gods to exist? From whence came these higher laws? A higher god?
What allowed the higher-order of god or gods? A higher-order of laws?
From whence came those?
And so on, ad infinitum, an infinite regression upwards, ever-higher laws requiring ever-higher gods to implement them.
It never ends well, does it?
Hey Bob!

What are you doing here?!? Go farm more guild renown!!! Grrrrrrr!

Just kidding. My damned dell is in the shop so I am here...procrastinating...

will stop now. Life awaits!

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

<quoted text>
It'd still be unethical-- in that all the responsibility for all evil would still rest on the god of the story.
And once you go down the road of "absolve responsibility for actions" path? You get... a nation where huge fractions of the population is in prison.
... wait.
Oh... my.... this isn't good.
hahahaha!

No, no it is not good! Creationism is child abuse.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? I'd like to see what he wrote. Can you direct me to that?
I'm checking around....whew....he was a prolific writer, one of my faves.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are a pro-lifer I assume and against abortion?
Based on what moral standard?
There is a difference between the murder of a living, breathing infant or killing a living, breathing pregnant woman and the removal of a clump of nonsentient cells.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, we know.
That's why you condone genocide, killing of gays, killing of those who exercise freedom of religion, etc.
But abortion is WRONG, you have to wait and murder them right?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
Actually thy would make sense as soon as he started posting Derek4 stopped. It seems likely Derek4 could have been banned for flooding the threads with his trolling and spam and had to switch to another screen name. I mean this timber chump shows up out of nowhere and floods the threads with trolling and spam same as Derek4.
<quoted text>
Yeah.

SPAMMING is about the only strategy they have, as none of their "arguments" carry any weight with people who think.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it is "literal interpretation" of Genesis and Bible that has contributed towards this Atheist movement in Western countries.
Neither Bible nor book of Genesis should be interpreted literally, because these books were not "dictated by God" .
Church has done great dis-service to their religion by insisting that Biblical books are revealed word of God and insisted on its literal interpretation.
The Church's illogical stand has been a major factor for origin and rise of Atheism in the West.
And the problem is that when they start rejecting Bible, they reject all scriptures, because in their view, there can never be any book or scripture better or more authentic than their Bible.
So the church has caused more people to go away from religion and then reject all religions and all books of God.
News-Flash, stupid: neither was the Quoran "dictated by god".

For starters? Your pedophile Moohumad was ILLITERATE-- he could not even read, let alone write...

... which is FUNNY AS HELL.

Your "prophet" was in illiterate moron.

And a child-rapist too, of course-- cannot forget the child-raping part.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Bob!
What are you doing here?!? Go farm more guild renown!!! Grrrrrrr!
Just kidding. My damned dell is in the shop so I am here...procrastinating...
will stop now. Life awaits!
Yeah, I heard through the grapevine about your dell. Sorry about that, mate-- Dells aren't bad computers, but sometimes their service kinda sucks.

I'll look for you elsewhere, when you can.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
hahahaha!
No, no it is not good! Creationism is child abuse.
Indeed it is-- it forces the child to learn how to hold mutually incompatible ideas in his head.

Which leads to all sorts of mental stress-- is it any wonder insanity is higher among True Believers™?
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
News-Flash, stupid: neither was the Quoran "dictated by god".
For starters? Your pedophile Moohumad was ILLITERATE-- he could not even read, let alone write...
... which is FUNNY AS HELL.
Your "prophet" was in illiterate moron.
And a child-rapist too, of course-- cannot forget the child-raping part.
Yes, you are right, our prophet was not able to read or write, that is why he "Was told to memorize what was revealed to him". He memorized the verses he heard the Angel of God speak to him and then he asked "some of his scribe to write it down".

If a man is not able to read or write, can't he also dictate?

And after the scribe has written it down, he would ask the scribe to read it, so that he could verify that the verses were written correctly.

And then he used to recite the verses to all Muslims and tall them where to place the newly received revelation. And then he and Muslims used to recite the new revelation along with earlier revelations in their daily prayers, which were ordained five times each day.

How can we compare the way Quran was written down with the way Biblical books were written down?

No one knows the hands which penned down the First five books of OT?

Most of the names that appear on the title pages of the books we have today are symbolic and have no relation with the actual persons of that name.

I think what you need is to look into some books that deal with the history and evolution of Biblical books.

It is no more a secret or banned subject!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 10,741 - 10,760 of21,341
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••