Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments
10,221 - 10,240 of 21,483 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

How's that going for him?

If someone said something similar in the UK following a tragedy you'd write them off as a mental and/or a fundamentalist muslim.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
As you likely know, former Arkansas governor and rabid fundamentalist Mike Huckabee says that the children at Newtown died because his god was expelled from their school.
But that is ridiculous, even if that god existed. If it won't protect children in churches - if it stands aside and lets them be raped right under giant crucifixes and stained glass windows erected in its honor - it sure isn't going to protect children in schools.
"Mike Huckabee blames getting God out of classroom for shootings"
http://www.abpnews.com/culture/social-issues/...
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Then you don't really care about your beliefs being correct, just about them comforting you.
Incidentally, secularism isn't about gods, which probably do not exist. It's about religion and your pernicious church, which definitely do.
Thats right. Theists care about beliefs comforting them. The comfort factor is a big inflence on their thinking. Religion acts as a comfort blanket for adults.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Who do sunni suicide bombers pray to before they murder shiites?
Who do shiite suicide bombers pray to before they murder sunnis?
<quoted text>
Of course they both pray to Allah. For purely selfish reasons. They want personal reward in heaven with 72 virgins, and the glory of martyrdom.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
How's that going for him? If someone said something similar in the UK following a tragedy you'd write them off as a mental and/or a fundamentalist muslim.
Huckabee was probably unscathed by any reaction to the comment.

Apparently it is nearly impossible to damage your political career with religion in America, where people like Huckabee, Palin and Santorum have successful careers from the lunatic fringes of their faiths.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Apparently it is nearly impossible to damage your political career with religion in America, where people like Huckabee, Palin and Santorum have successful careers from the lunatic fringes of their faiths.
But thankfully not successful enough to become President.

Survey after survey shows decline in religious belief in the US, so I think there are signs for hope in the future.
William Tyndale

Clearlake, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Great scientists, great philosophers, great mystics, all have in common a deep respect, a deep sense of awe for the mystery of what is.

Theists try to describe the indescribable.

Atheists try to deny it.
William Tyndale

Clearlake, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

I should add to the above:

religions try to control it.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

William Tyndale wrote:
Great scientists, great philosophers, great mystics, all have in common a deep respect, a deep sense of awe for the mystery of what is.
Atheists try to deny it.
I think Atheists too have awe and wonder at nature. They just dont ascribe supernatural entities to it.

Theists do try to describe mysteries, but using stories which are mythical and nonsensical. The so called holy books are absurd creations.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

That said, I don't see how the Republicans are going to get voted in again until they adopt a more centrist position- but any change will dismay their core vote.
<quoted text>
Huckabee was probably unscathed by any reaction to the comment.
William Tyndale

Clearlake, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Actually I think it sounds best like this:

Atheists try to deny it.

Theists try to define it.

Religions try to control it.

I should have composed it better the first time :)
William Tyndale

Clearlake, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I think Atheists too have awe and wonder at nature. They just dont ascribe supernatural entities to it.
Theists do try to describe mysteries, but using stories which are mythical and nonsensical. The so called holy books are absurd creations.
Appreciating nature is a good thing. But I was referring to the underlining mystery, the glue that holds the complexity of what is together.

Try to picture nothingness. No space, no time, no consciousness. Nothing.

Now try to explain it's opposite and how it came to be.

Cant?

This is the mystery.

We are the product of whatever this mystery is.

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Atheists are people who do not believe in deities after that it varies person to person.

You Christholes need to stop telling us what we think or believe and start asking us. Gasp! What a concept!
William Tyndale wrote:
Actually I think it sounds best like this:
Atheists try to deny it.
Theists try to define it.
Religions try to control it.
I should have composed it better the first time :)

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

William Tyndale wrote:
Atheists try to deny it.
No,*scientists* try to understand the universe.

Theists say 'we have all the answers, now stop thinking about it'.

Atheists simply don't have a belief in a deity.
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
But thankfully not successful enough to become President.
Survey after survey shows decline in religious belief in the US, so I think there are signs for hope in the future.
"Survey after survey shows decline in religious belief .." not really...may be valid on topix threads.
Produce the polls?

No atheist has ever been elected President.
President Obama's inauguration filled with prayers which may have placed the Republicans on notice.
After all the desperate republican "he is Muslim and from Kenya" stuff is discounted, Prayer played a major part yesterday.
.... free exercise of religion!
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

So no great scientists can be Atheists?

BS
William Tyndale wrote:
Atheists try to deny it.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed...
That is where atheism takes the individual.
To irrationality...
That is called "a response in kind".
Since atheism isn't an "ism", but the lack of an "ism", your asertation could hardly be true. So tell us what happened here, when you posted this >>> "Prejudiced emotive faulty appeal..." <<< word salad light? Your "ism" not quite up to par, nowadays? We are seeing more and more of that, as "isms" fail to hold their own against simple common sense.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been presenting logical arguments like the argument:
That the atheist in their desperation to deny God, ends up having to deny all the transcendent laws that govern the universe, in particular those relating to morality and logic.
So much so that they are reduced to logical absurdity, clearly showing their worldview has some major issues that precludes them even engaging in logical discussions...
There is nothing logical about arguing from a position that cannot be supported with actual evidence. Setting up your own definitions and descriptions of something (atheists in this case) then arguing against that definition or description is just plain stupid.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously I do not accept your twisted interpretation of the Bible on this matter.
Then why do you think anyone should accept your twisted interpretation of atheism? At least those pointing out the twisted morals of the Bible actually know what is stated in the Bible. The fact that you choose to interpret the ridiculousness of the Bible in a way that takes the edge off is your problem. Don't you find it odd that you need to interpret something claimed to be the 'inerrant word of a 'god' in such a way as to remove the vileness of the way it is actually written??

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

McNeil wrote:
Why shouldn't there be a God is my question? What's there to look forward to after you die? Why would you fight so hard to to prove that a person does not exist, when that same person is willing to offer you salvation? Doest make sense..
Hey, if believing there is a god, even though there is no evidence that it exists, helps get you through your day... go for it. If believing there is everlasting life waiting for you after you die, and that helps you sleep at night... knock yourself out. BTW... how can something (god in this case) that can't even be shown to exist in the first place offer anything? Believing in something for which no evidence has ever existed doesn't make any more sense than believing there are faeries living in your garden... or that garden gnomes come to life after dark... or that leprechauns keep pots of gold at the end of rainbows. All are claims without evidence and all can be dismissed using that same lack of evidence.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, morality is about living in a society and the happiness of those in the society. Rape does not contribute to the happiness of those in the society. Empathy is a fundamental aspect of human biology. Morality is based on empathy.
What if committing rape gives people pleasure in the society?

What then?

If pleasure is the deciding factor, as you have stated.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••