Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 23,181

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10874 Jan 21, 2013
Like you, Hitler also thought he was a winner.
mtimber wrote:
It doesn't seem like atheism is defeating much around here, except itself...

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#10875 Jan 21, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
If morality is a function of biology and one persons biology urges them to rape, your argument grants them that right...
Do you realise that?
No, morality is about living in a society and the happiness of those in the society. Rape does not contribute to the happiness of those in the society. Empathy is a fundamental aspect of human biology. Morality is based on empathy.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#10876 Jan 21, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah...
You see, this is where you misunderstand how a persons epistemology is constructed...
Let me show you how this works.
You are an atheist.
You believe that life came from non-life.
That rocks evolved into living creatures.
Did you observe that?
No.
You have no empirical data to confirm that.
So upon what basis would you defend that presupposition?
Everyones ultimate standard has to be assumed at some point, everyone has many presuppositions that they assume.
Then from there an examination of that standard should take place.
This is of course absolutely true, unless you were there when the rocks decided to turn into life?
Then of course you would have empirical data to match your witnessing the event of abiogenesis.
Short of that, you assumed, or presupposed that happened and then argued from there...
Since you clearly don't understand even the basics of what science says, let alone how science and atheism differ, I would recommend not commenting on things you do not understand.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#10877 Jan 21, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously I do not accept your twisted interpretation of the Bible on this matter.
But to the main point:
You think that rape is wrong.
That is because you are appealing to a greater absolute moral standard than you can account for in your atheism.
No, we appeal to the empathy that is central to social species like ours. The progress of morality is the progress of empathy towards those who religion and other doctrines say are subhuman.
McNeil

Duluth, GA

#10878 Jan 21, 2013
Why shouldn't there be a God is my question? What's there to look forward to after you die? Why would you fight so hard to to prove that a person does not exist, when that same person is willing to offer you salvation? Doest make sense..

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#10879 Jan 21, 2013
McNeil wrote:
Why shouldn't there be a God is my question? What's there to look forward to after you die? Why would you fight so hard to to prove that a person does not exist, when that same person is willing to offer you salvation? Doest make sense..
Because the price you extract is too high. Your religion is one of hate, oppression and abuse.

It does not matter which of the supernatural woo you are victimized by currently-- they all abuse their followers.

Finally? I must ask... "salvation"... from ... what? Death is death--there is nothing beyond it as far as you (or anyone) can prove.

That's it. Finis.

So, no-- your mewlings here make no sense in the least.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#10880 Jan 21, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Hitler had close relations with the pope. The pope and the Roman Catholic Church was praying for the victories of the Nazi army!
May be the Church of England was also doing the same? Or was it War between catholics and Protestants?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#10881 Jan 21, 2013
McNeil wrote:
You should be more concerned with living a full life so you don't care if there is a second one. Buying snake oil is a sign of gullibility, not one of intelligence, and you bought the snake oil.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#10882 Jan 21, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So a rock did do it...:-)
And if a rock did it, then morality does not exist.
Because without absolute morality, you cannot define any morality...
It would be easier to herd cats than to have a coherant conversation with you. When you get through playing with rocks try learning about bigger and better things.

Ignorance can be alleviated by education "but you can't fix stupid".

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#10883 Jan 21, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Prejudiced emotive faulty appeal...
Kindly cite a source for this logical fallacy I suspect you just made up.

A faulty emotional appeal is usually employing an emotion of pity or fear. How do you think his statement qualifies for either?

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#10884 Jan 21, 2013
McNeil wrote:
It would depend upon whether that 'salvation' is real or imagined.
Since there is absolutely zero proof that it is real and this proof has remained at zero from the beginning of time....well, the default position is that it is imaginary.

I don't want imaginary 'salvation.'

Why look forward to anything after you die? Why don't you make the most of your life?

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#10885 Jan 21, 2013
Can you show where The bible says incest is forbidden? No this happens often in the bible.

How about slavery being forbidden? No in fact Pail demanded a run away slave return to his Christian slave master.

How about sex with children? No in fact children are often raped as spoils of war and slaves in the bible.

How about discriminating against women? No and lol at even trying!

Yet secular morality today an for some time now has forbidden these heinous acts. Your retarded god's morality in that pitiful myth falls short.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Prejudiced emotive faulty appeal...

Chicago, IL

#10886 Jan 21, 2013
Or Muslims attacking other Muslims for believing slightly differently? Isn't it all the same how you animals behave?
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
May be the Church of England was also doing the same? Or was it War between catholics and Protestants?

Chicago, IL

#10887 Jan 21, 2013
For this to be logical first you must demonstrate there is a god. Second that it is a logical moral god. Third this desperation.

Since you can't possibly get past the first item you are the illogical poster.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been presenting logical arguments like the argument:
That the atheist in their desperation to deny God, ends up having to deny all the transcendent laws that govern the universe, in particular those relating to morality and logic.
So much so that they are reduced to logical absurdity, clearly showing their worldview has some major issues that precludes them even engaging in logical discussions...
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10888 Jan 21, 2013
Who do sunni suicide bombers pray to before they murder shiites?
Who do shiite suicide bombers pray to before they murder sunnis?
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#10889 Jan 21, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been presenting logical arguments like the argument:

That the atheist in their desperation to deny God, ends up having to deny all the transcendent laws that govern the universe, in particular those relating to morality and logic. So much so that they are reduced to logical absurdity, clearly showing their worldview has some major issues that precludes them even engaging in logical discussions...
Sorry, but I don't see a logical argument there. I don't see any kind of argument. These are merely unsupported claims. You haven't established that atheists are desperate, that we deny any law, that our position is logically absurd, or that our worldviews preclude engaging in logical discussion. You have merely claimed these things. You haven't even defined them.

In fact, this reply defeats your claim. This is a well reasoned rebuttal.

Were you aware that atheism is not a worldview?

Were you aware that a perfect god that makes mistakes is logically impossible? Such a thing would violate the law of noncontradiction.

What is "God"? Is that Jehovah-Jesus to you? That god is impossible for many reasons, including the one just given. Of course I deny it. It would be unreasonable to do otherwise.

Reason is on the side of the rational skeptics, not faith based thinkers. Faith itself, which is a repudiation of reason, is a logical error.

“Humanity's first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt.”- Mike Huben

Fennario

#10890 Jan 21, 2013
mtimber wrote:
You think that rape is wrong. That is because you are appealing to a greater absolute moral standard than you can account for in your atheism.
I suggest that you ask me why I believe what I believe rather than tell me.

I can easily account for the dictum that rape is immoral without appeal to anything outside of the heads of men. Polymath already has recently in this thread.

You've been listening to William Lane Craig, haven't you? He's not a very good philosopher. Like Dembski, his thought is faith based and he's agenda driven.

Fennario

#10891 Jan 22, 2013
Thinking wrote:
That's why priests f**k kids. The bible's cool with paedophilia so long as its heterosexual paedophilia.
<quoted text>
As you likely know, former Arkansas governor and rabid fundamentalist Mike Huckabee says that the children at Newtown died because his god was expelled from their school.

But that is ridiculous, even if that god existed. If it won't protect children in churches - if it stands aside and lets them be raped right under giant crucifixes and stained glass windows erected in its honor - it sure isn't going to protect children in schools.

"Mike Huckabee blames getting God out of classroom for shootings"
http://www.abpnews.com/culture/social-issues/...

Fennario

#10892 Jan 22, 2013
McNeil wrote:
Then you don't really care about your beliefs being correct, just about them comforting you.

Incidentally, secularism isn't about gods, which probably do not exist. It's about religion and your pernicious church, which definitely do.
Thinking

Leighton Buzzard, UK

#10893 Jan 22, 2013
How's that going for him?

If someone said something similar in the UK following a tragedy you'd write them off as a mental and/or a fundamentalist muslim.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
As you likely know, former Arkansas governor and rabid fundamentalist Mike Huckabee says that the children at Newtown died because his god was expelled from their school.
But that is ridiculous, even if that god existed. If it won't protect children in churches - if it stands aside and lets them be raped right under giant crucifixes and stained glass windows erected in its honor - it sure isn't going to protect children in schools.
"Mike Huckabee blames getting God out of classroom for shootings"
http://www.abpnews.com/culture/social-issues/...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vietnam censures former chief inspector; seizes... 3 hr NHUCAPLIMDRUEXIMD... 5
KRESA considers seeking special-ed tax increase... Dec 8 Rick 1
Water woes among topics for 8 governors in Vegas Dec 6 Viewer 2
Ho Chi Minh City to host International Dance Fe... Dec 5 SHlTWORMDAEGUDEBD... 9
OPP Release Festive RIDE Campaign Results Dec 3 not too festive 1
Vietnam PM approves 9-day Lunar New Year holiday Dec 2 CAPTHUICHADRUGNGU... 12
Top 9 Vacation Destinations For Wall Street Geeks Nov 30 Andarz Abedini 2
More from around the web