Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 23,207

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#9398 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't feel responsible for something that happend in the past.
It's not my problem, and it's nothing to do with me.
These old stories are of no interest to me.
Good grief! Who sad you were responsible??? Have you considered that rest break I suggested...your paranoia seems to be growing.

The problem has been solved....a long time ago. It's just another example of religion run amok.

Now, for one thing, they are not old stories...they are actual history backed up by facts. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it....your problem not mine.

Once again you have shown your touchiness, your general lack of knowledge and your determination to remain ignorant. Notice I said ignorant (lack of knowledge), not stupid (unable to comprehend knowledge).

I know you will accuse me of aggression towards you (boo-effing-hoo), but as far as I can tell that's a fair assessment of your rather sullen post.

C'est la vie!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9399 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
This interlocutor has been very elusive to explain her accusations. She said I was lying, but won't say what did I lied about. That's what I am trying to get from her. Her nasty on-liners are no answers.
But you don't have to interrupt on her behalf, do you? Or is it what atheists do; Offer assistance to each others?
Um, duh, of course we assist each other, we assist all humans in need. That is why we are trying to push you to get help for your delusion.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#9400 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Never felt superior and never wanted to be. For me, there is room for any races and any beliefs. The troubles start when some people try to have the upper end.
I also don't know what you call "personal view of delusion", because I could return the same accusation.
Can't you guys just accept that other people may think differently, or do you adhere to the strict view that there is only one party line, and nothing else?
The first paragraph smells of BS.

The second paragraph is amusing.

The last paragraph is the only one that has any meat on the plate. I'll quit touting my lack of faith when those of faith stop trying to shove their 'good book' down my throat and into the laws of the land.

You keep trying to paint atheists as the aggressors, the mean, controlling ones, the self appointed superiors, etc. I don't have to read very far back to find these accusations. My question is, why do you fear and/or despise 17% of the population? You are comfortably in the majority, so chillax for awhile.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9401 Nov 26, 2012
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone, from phone callers to those who knock on my door or mail me tracts and invitations to their churches. From prayer at staff meetings to those who buttonhole you to give "testimony". Don't forget the laws that are pushed by various cults that try to make me observe their beliefs and the ongoing struggle to turn the USA into a theocracy or seccede from the Union. Pish tosh.
Don't even bring violence into the equasion, that's your fantasy not mine.
Yes, this country is pretty religious although thankfully declining in theocratic percentages day by day. There is social pressure, pressure at work and interpersonal relationships. I find it useful to bring up the fact that I'm an atheist as soon as they bring up their religion. Some avoid me like the plague, others who are more tolerant and loving accept it and move on.
Yes! I said it, there are tolerant theists....it has been my personal experience that they are in the minority but I don't apply that to christians at large.
Humm, that is called proselytism, and some christian denominations believe in that, often the minor ones.
But it's not worse than trying to sell vaccum cleaners or any other products. Just say no and move on...
I cannot believe that prayers are compulsory at staff meeting (how do they cope with the different religions?) but anyhow, here again say no, no, and no.
Laws are decided by people, and if people are religious, you may have a problem. America is judged very conservative here in religious matters. We have seen that at election time, when professing a religion is almost essential for candidates.
Like you I am straightforward about not being religious. It saves embarrassment later. But we don't have too much problem here in UK, people are generally tolerant.
Tolerance is a priceless virtue.
I once missed buying a nice cottage in Scotland because I told them I wouldn't attend church on Sunday! But I am glad I did rather than finding I had landed in a village full of bigots.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#9402 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
This interlocutor has been very elusive to explain her accusations. She said I was lying, but won't say what did I lied about. That's what I am trying to get from her. Her nasty on-liners are no answers.
But you don't have to interrupt on her behalf, do you? Or is it what atheists do; Offer assistance to each others?
I have seen her explain time and again, if you can't let it go...oh well;0)

This is a public forum, if you want private converstation you can IM or exchange email addresses....again....oh well;0)

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9403 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Humm, that is called proselytism, and some christian denominations believe in that, often the minor ones.
But it's not worse than trying to sell vaccum cleaners or any other products. Just say no and move on...
I cannot believe that prayers are compulsory at staff meeting (how do they cope with the different religions?) but anyhow, here again say no, no, and no.
Laws are decided by people, and if people are religious, you may have a problem. America is judged very conservative here in religious matters. We have seen that at election time, when professing a religion is almost essential for candidates.
Like you I am straightforward about not being religious. It saves embarrassment later. But we don't have too much problem here in UK, people are generally tolerant.
Tolerance is a priceless virtue.
I once missed buying a nice cottage in Scotland because I told them I wouldn't attend church on Sunday! But I am glad I did rather than finding I had landed in a village full of bigots.
I wear a pentacle, reminder of my favorite quote "we are all stardust." I get accosted by religious people, actual verbal attacks, just because I wear a piece of jewelry. Those who don't verbally assault me are always, and I do mean ALWAYS, trying to convert me. You need to get out more, or stop trying to apply UK culture to the US at least.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9404 Nov 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, duh, of course we assist each other, we assist all humans in need. That is why we are trying to push you to get help for your delusion.
Repeating constantly to others they suffer from delusion is aggressive enough, and not a very clever approach.
You are a very bad role model for an atheist, I must say.
Far too much aggression in your words.
You are about as convincing as a catholic missionary during the Inquisition!
You never worked in sales, I suppose, or you would have driven potential customers in the direction of your competitors.
Another tip: answer all the points in a mail, just not pick and choose which one you want to deal with.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9405 Nov 26, 2012
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
The first paragraph smells of BS.
The second paragraph is amusing.
The last paragraph is the only one that has any meat on the plate. I'll quit touting my lack of faith when those of faith stop trying to shove their 'good book' down my throat and into the laws of the land.
You keep trying to paint atheists as the aggressors, the mean, controlling ones, the self appointed superiors, etc. I don't have to read very far back to find these accusations. My question is, why do you fear and/or despise 17% of the population? You are comfortably in the majority, so chillax for awhile.
You can see BS where you want. I gave my opinion. I am not selling anything.

Yes, atheists ON THIS FORUM have been particularly aggressive, and ambushing other participants. I am sure they don't do that in real life.
I don't fear 17%, I don't fear 50%, I don't fear those things you imagine.
I get on well with people and I am not one of life's victim.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9406 Nov 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I wear a pentacle, reminder of my favorite quote "we are all stardust." I get accosted by religious people, actual verbal attacks, just because I wear a piece of jewelry. Those who don't verbally assault me are always, and I do mean ALWAYS, trying to convert me. You need to get out more, or stop trying to apply UK culture to the US at least.
WEll, I live in the UK, and I don't pretend to know much about the US.

By the same token, you could stop looking at us through your US-tinted glasses.
I think we are quite a tolerant bunch here, with not much hang ups about religions or not.
I am a deist, one of my daughter is a pagan, the other is buddhist, my partner is Muslim, my ex is catholic, and the one before protestant. We just don't have much problem accepting each other.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9407 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
WEll, I live in the UK, and I don't pretend to know much about the US.
By the same token, you could stop looking at us through your US-tinted glasses.
I think we are quite a tolerant bunch here, with not much hang ups about religions or not.
I am a deist, one of my daughter is a pagan, the other is buddhist, my partner is Muslim, my ex is catholic, and the one before protestant. We just don't have much problem accepting each other.
I don't pretend to know UK culture, or business, but you are lying and I already pointed that out. I do know about theists, christians or otherwise, I deal with them all the time, and you are one. You post like one, you lack any education like one, and you are so use to lying you can't even admit you are.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9408 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Repeating constantly to others they suffer from delusion is aggressive enough, and not a very clever approach.
You never worked in sales, I suppose, or you would have driven potential customers in the direction of your competitors.
Another tip: answer all the points in a mail, just not pick and choose which one you want to deal with.
Well, when someone suffers from a delusion, how else do you get them help?
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9409 Nov 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't pretend to know UK culture, or business, but you are lying and I already pointed that out. I do know about theists, christians or otherwise, I deal with them all the time, and you are one. You post like one, you lack any education like one, and you are so use to lying you can't even admit you are.
Please, please, one more time, tell me what I am lying about.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9410 Nov 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, when someone suffers from a delusion, how else do you get them help?
But who says you are right and I am wrong. It's so easy to turn the table here. Who says you don't suffer from delusion.
You are assuming too much, and you have a completely negative approach.
You started this exchange on the wrong foot, totally.
humberman99

Preston, UK

#9411 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Please, please, one more time, tell me what I am lying about.
shut up, arse banger. ronanicanreadrio.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9412 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
But who says you are right and I am wrong. It's so easy to turn the table here. Who says you don't suffer from delusion.
You are assuming too much, and you have a completely negative approach.
You started this exchange on the wrong foot, totally.
Well, it's hard to be wrong when you don't make an assertion. I made no assertion, most atheists don't make an assertion, we just ask that you present the evidence so we can also find out. But you never do, that is what makes your delusion so clear. But we can test assertions, if they are presented, and when no evidence suggests or supports the assertion then it is plain as day that it is nothing more than fantasy, and believing fantasy is real is delusional.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9413 Nov 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it's hard to be wrong when you don't make an assertion. I made no assertion, most atheists don't make an assertion, we just ask that you present the evidence so we can also find out. But you never do, that is what makes your delusion so clear. But we can test assertions, if they are presented, and when no evidence suggests or supports the assertion then it is plain as day that it is nothing more than fantasy, and believing fantasy is real is delusional.
But what assertion am I supposed to make? I believe, I think there was a creator. I don't need to prove it since I am not trying to convince you of anything. It's my own belief. I will not try to built any cult about it, nor will I accept any. You are perfectly allowed to think otherwise, and I am not trying to change your mind.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#9414 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
How should one respond to a post full of ad hominem attacks such as yours above? It has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, no facts only your personal opinion.....and you think this is legitimate debate on your part?

By all means, step up to bat and show us what you've got!

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9417 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
But what assertion am I supposed to make? I believe, I think there was a creator. I don't need to prove it since I am not trying to convince you of anything. It's my own belief. I will not try to built any cult about it, nor will I accept any. You are perfectly allowed to think otherwise, and I am not trying to change your mind.
A belief is an assertion.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#9418 Nov 27, 2012
MUQ wrote:
So according to your story, Muhammed has his prayers answered. But what about millions of starving africans, or amputees, or others in the world suffering adn dying. They fail to get their prayers answered. Bit unfair isnt it?
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#9419 Nov 27, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I do know about theists, christians or otherwise, I deal with them all the time, and you are one.
Agreed, I thought the same thing about "deist" rio.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vietnam censures former chief inspector; seizes... 20 hr CAPKHUNGLIMDRUCHA... 17
Madonna songs leak. She fights back. Sun Waldo Simmons 1
New expresway to Ho Chi Minh City opens ahead o... Sat CAPKHUNGLIMDRUDEN... 2
Jehovah's Witnesses bloodless coup (May '14) Sat BetheljudgmentDan... 9
Incentives push doctors to electronic medical r... (May '13) Dec 20 Calvin James 2
Medicare reduces funding to 9 O.C. hospitals Dec 19 icthelite 1
KRESA considers seeking special-ed tax increase... Dec 8 Rick 1
More from around the web