Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 23770 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#9387 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did you see that?
In which country do you live where they try to convert you by force?
Right here in the good old USA dearie. Open your eyes.
rio

Bromley, UK

#9388 Nov 26, 2012
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
about a Deistic God .
You atheists are not supposed to capitalise g.o.d. when you speak about deity!I know a deist wouldn't!
I am afraid that you failed the test miserably.

KittenKoder will have a fit about that; her whole theory rests on that capilal G !

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#9389 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Me? I was hardly living at that time!
Are you insane?
Try reading a book, history book in this case. Is it against your religion or your delusional thinking? Sorry, but I repeat myself;0)

Somebody tell me again how religion promotes knowledge, anyone, anyone?
rio

Bromley, UK

#9390 Nov 26, 2012
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Right here in the good old USA dearie. Open your eyes.
Who is actually trying to forcibly convert you to their religion in the USA?
Any evidence? Any experience?
The country is already very religious, by its own admission, so who has a chance there to convert anyone?

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#9391 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
It's funny that you choose to comment on the triviality, but avoided to discuss the rest of the post.
Tell me, where does your agression comes from, and why do you need it to dicuss on a forum.
Also why do you attacked me when I said I was a deist?
I will not pretend I am atheist, since I believe there is a god, but that doesn't make me a supporter of organised religions.
So, again, why are you so mad?
Trying to obfuscate the post by picking up the trivialities or twisting the words is YOUR specialty.

Didn't you recently post: "Atheists don't bring a solution, they add to the problem." Now, whine some more about others supposed aggression.

Most importantly stick to the substance of the post and quit projecting.
rio

Bromley, UK

#9392 Nov 26, 2012
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Try reading a book, history book in this case. Is it against your religion or your delusional thinking? Sorry, but I repeat myself;0)
Somebody tell me again how religion promotes knowledge, anyone, anyone?
I don't feel responsible for something that happend in the past.
It's not my problem, and it's nothing to do with me.
These old stories are of no interest to me.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#9393 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I see, you just pick and choose what you want to answer, but you are unable to explain coherently why you call me a liar.
Looks like you have a problem, not me. You duck and dive to avoid confrontation, but you are quite able to send sharp insults at the same time.
I would say that you are no capable of normal exchange if you feel you don't have the upper hand, so you invent a pedestal for yourself, in the hope that it impresses others. You failed.
Like it or not, I am a deist and you are a clown! Bye bye
Oh, mercy! Is this the 4th grade playground???

Why don't you try moving on or *snicker* moving on. Perhaps you just need a break, you are deteriorating at a rapid rate. Take a deep breath, take a nap, drink a cup of coffee, refresh yourself.
Faith

New Baltimore, MI

#9394 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. I don't lose a minutes sleep thinking about slavery or the Indians.
rio

Bromley, UK

#9395 Nov 26, 2012
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
No, we just don't care to accept your personal view of delusion. That threatens your sense of "superiority" and upsets you. Toughen up.
Never felt superior and never wanted to be. For me, there is room for any races and any beliefs. The troubles start when some people try to have the upper end.

I also don't know what you call "personal view of delusion", because I could return the same accusation.
Can't you guys just accept that other people may think differently, or do you adhere to the strict view that there is only one party line, and nothing else?
rio

Bromley, UK

#9396 Nov 26, 2012
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, mercy! Is this the 4th grade playground???
Why don't you try moving on or *snicker* moving on. Perhaps you just need a break, you are deteriorating at a rapid rate. Take a deep breath, take a nap, drink a cup of coffee, refresh yourself.
This interlocutor has been very elusive to explain her accusations. She said I was lying, but won't say what did I lied about. That's what I am trying to get from her. Her nasty on-liners are no answers.

But you don't have to interrupt on her behalf, do you? Or is it what atheists do; Offer assistance to each others?

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#9397 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is actually trying to forcibly convert you to their religion in the USA?
Any evidence? Any experience?
The country is already very religious, by its own admission, so who has a chance there to convert anyone?
Everyone, from phone callers to those who knock on my door or mail me tracts and invitations to their churches. From prayer at staff meetings to those who buttonhole you to give "testimony". Don't forget the laws that are pushed by various cults that try to make me observe their beliefs and the ongoing struggle to turn the USA into a theocracy or seccede from the Union. Pish tosh.

Don't even bring violence into the equasion, that's your fantasy not mine.

Yes, this country is pretty religious although thankfully declining in theocratic percentages day by day. There is social pressure, pressure at work and interpersonal relationships. I find it useful to bring up the fact that I'm an atheist as soon as they bring up their religion. Some avoid me like the plague, others who are more tolerant and loving accept it and move on.

Yes! I said it, there are tolerant theists....it has been my personal experience that they are in the minority but I don't apply that to christians at large.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#9398 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Good grief! Who sad you were responsible??? Have you considered that rest break I suggested...your paranoia seems to be growing.

The problem has been solved....a long time ago. It's just another example of religion run amok.

Now, for one thing, they are not old stories...they are actual history backed up by facts. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it....your problem not mine.

Once again you have shown your touchiness, your general lack of knowledge and your determination to remain ignorant. Notice I said ignorant (lack of knowledge), not stupid (unable to comprehend knowledge).

I know you will accuse me of aggression towards you (boo-effing-hoo), but as far as I can tell that's a fair assessment of your rather sullen post.

C'est la vie!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9399 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
This interlocutor has been very elusive to explain her accusations. She said I was lying, but won't say what did I lied about. That's what I am trying to get from her. Her nasty on-liners are no answers.
But you don't have to interrupt on her behalf, do you? Or is it what atheists do; Offer assistance to each others?
Um, duh, of course we assist each other, we assist all humans in need. That is why we are trying to push you to get help for your delusion.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#9400 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Never felt superior and never wanted to be. For me, there is room for any races and any beliefs. The troubles start when some people try to have the upper end.
I also don't know what you call "personal view of delusion", because I could return the same accusation.
Can't you guys just accept that other people may think differently, or do you adhere to the strict view that there is only one party line, and nothing else?
The first paragraph smells of BS.

The second paragraph is amusing.

The last paragraph is the only one that has any meat on the plate. I'll quit touting my lack of faith when those of faith stop trying to shove their 'good book' down my throat and into the laws of the land.

You keep trying to paint atheists as the aggressors, the mean, controlling ones, the self appointed superiors, etc. I don't have to read very far back to find these accusations. My question is, why do you fear and/or despise 17% of the population? You are comfortably in the majority, so chillax for awhile.
rio

Bromley, UK

#9401 Nov 26, 2012
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone, from phone callers to those who knock on my door or mail me tracts and invitations to their churches. From prayer at staff meetings to those who buttonhole you to give "testimony". Don't forget the laws that are pushed by various cults that try to make me observe their beliefs and the ongoing struggle to turn the USA into a theocracy or seccede from the Union. Pish tosh.
Don't even bring violence into the equasion, that's your fantasy not mine.
Yes, this country is pretty religious although thankfully declining in theocratic percentages day by day. There is social pressure, pressure at work and interpersonal relationships. I find it useful to bring up the fact that I'm an atheist as soon as they bring up their religion. Some avoid me like the plague, others who are more tolerant and loving accept it and move on.
Yes! I said it, there are tolerant theists....it has been my personal experience that they are in the minority but I don't apply that to christians at large.
Humm, that is called proselytism, and some christian denominations believe in that, often the minor ones.
But it's not worse than trying to sell vaccum cleaners or any other products. Just say no and move on...
I cannot believe that prayers are compulsory at staff meeting (how do they cope with the different religions?) but anyhow, here again say no, no, and no.
Laws are decided by people, and if people are religious, you may have a problem. America is judged very conservative here in religious matters. We have seen that at election time, when professing a religion is almost essential for candidates.
Like you I am straightforward about not being religious. It saves embarrassment later. But we don't have too much problem here in UK, people are generally tolerant.
Tolerance is a priceless virtue.
I once missed buying a nice cottage in Scotland because I told them I wouldn't attend church on Sunday! But I am glad I did rather than finding I had landed in a village full of bigots.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#9402 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I have seen her explain time and again, if you can't let it go...oh well;0)

This is a public forum, if you want private converstation you can IM or exchange email addresses....again....oh well;0)

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9403 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Humm, that is called proselytism, and some christian denominations believe in that, often the minor ones.
But it's not worse than trying to sell vaccum cleaners or any other products. Just say no and move on...
I cannot believe that prayers are compulsory at staff meeting (how do they cope with the different religions?) but anyhow, here again say no, no, and no.
Laws are decided by people, and if people are religious, you may have a problem. America is judged very conservative here in religious matters. We have seen that at election time, when professing a religion is almost essential for candidates.
Like you I am straightforward about not being religious. It saves embarrassment later. But we don't have too much problem here in UK, people are generally tolerant.
Tolerance is a priceless virtue.
I once missed buying a nice cottage in Scotland because I told them I wouldn't attend church on Sunday! But I am glad I did rather than finding I had landed in a village full of bigots.
I wear a pentacle, reminder of my favorite quote "we are all stardust." I get accosted by religious people, actual verbal attacks, just because I wear a piece of jewelry. Those who don't verbally assault me are always, and I do mean ALWAYS, trying to convert me. You need to get out more, or stop trying to apply UK culture to the US at least.
rio

Bromley, UK

#9404 Nov 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, duh, of course we assist each other, we assist all humans in need. That is why we are trying to push you to get help for your delusion.
Repeating constantly to others they suffer from delusion is aggressive enough, and not a very clever approach.
You are a very bad role model for an atheist, I must say.
Far too much aggression in your words.
You are about as convincing as a catholic missionary during the Inquisition!
You never worked in sales, I suppose, or you would have driven potential customers in the direction of your competitors.
Another tip: answer all the points in a mail, just not pick and choose which one you want to deal with.
rio

Bromley, UK

#9405 Nov 26, 2012
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
The first paragraph smells of BS.
The second paragraph is amusing.
The last paragraph is the only one that has any meat on the plate. I'll quit touting my lack of faith when those of faith stop trying to shove their 'good book' down my throat and into the laws of the land.
You keep trying to paint atheists as the aggressors, the mean, controlling ones, the self appointed superiors, etc. I don't have to read very far back to find these accusations. My question is, why do you fear and/or despise 17% of the population? You are comfortably in the majority, so chillax for awhile.
You can see BS where you want. I gave my opinion. I am not selling anything.

Yes, atheists ON THIS FORUM have been particularly aggressive, and ambushing other participants. I am sure they don't do that in real life.
I don't fear 17%, I don't fear 50%, I don't fear those things you imagine.
I get on well with people and I am not one of life's victim.
rio

Bromley, UK

#9406 Nov 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I wear a pentacle, reminder of my favorite quote "we are all stardust." I get accosted by religious people, actual verbal attacks, just because I wear a piece of jewelry. Those who don't verbally assault me are always, and I do mean ALWAYS, trying to convert me. You need to get out more, or stop trying to apply UK culture to the US at least.
WEll, I live in the UK, and I don't pretend to know much about the US.

By the same token, you could stop looking at us through your US-tinted glasses.
I think we are quite a tolerant bunch here, with not much hang ups about religions or not.
I am a deist, one of my daughter is a pagan, the other is buddhist, my partner is Muslim, my ex is catholic, and the one before protestant. We just don't have much problem accepting each other.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 3 Homebuilders To Avoid, 1 To Consider Now (Feb '12) Mon KandM Guttering 6
News How Many People Take Benzodiazepines? (May '15) May 20 Ali 7
News Recalls this week: Pacifier holders, rattles May 16 Menards eh 1
News Markel Corp Acquires New Position in Praxair, Inc. May 15 Praxair 1
News Options dwindling, Sanders says race isn't over May 12 Three Days 30
News Donald Trump, left, and Hillary Clinton campaig... May 10 mano 3
News Richland County Council Shake-up Inevitable Apr '16 Mary Anne 1
More from around the web