Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 23583 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Since: Nov 10

Dublin

#9358 Nov 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
A sick person cannot heal another sick person without making that other person sick as well.
Does your brain work at all?
What are you talking about?

I'm saying that people in other parts of the world are oppressed by their country because of religion. In the west this isn't as much of an issue.

Surely the people in other parts of the world who are governed under strict religious law need help more than us in the secular west?

Help the most needy first? You know?

Or just take advantage of the wests secular laws and do nothing to help those who are genuinely oppressed by religious law?
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9359 Nov 26, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah I just seen it there. Baffling.....
She is the Joseph Goebbels of atheism!

Her videos come from the Ministry of Propaganda.

Only the swastika is missing!! LMFAO

I am sure she eats babies too...

Since: Nov 10

Dublin

#9360 Nov 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So, to you fighting for equal rights of those oppressed is "baffling?" No wonder your god loves slavery.
How are you oppressed on the grounds of being an atheist?

I'm actually interested. As many parts of the US are lightyears behind Europe on this issue.

Since: Nov 10

Dublin

#9361 Nov 26, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
They are not separate in the UK. The Queen in head of the church and head of the UK. Notice our national anthem is even a prayer. Which for a secular country is very odd.
Thats more cultural/historic than anything else.

I'd guess many atheists would keep things that way as it is a part of Britain's culture?
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9362 Nov 26, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
They are not separate in the UK. The Queen in head of the church and head of the UK. Notice our national anthem is even a prayer. Which for a secular country is very odd.
Do you actually feel oppressed by that?

Because I don;'t and I am not CoE.

The Queen and the CoE have no meaningfull power. Parliament has in last resort, and we do not live in a dictature in UK, but in one of the most liberal country on earth.

Pity you cannot appreciate that...
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9363 Nov 26, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you talking about?
I'm saying that people in other parts of the world are oppressed by their country because of religion. In the west this isn't as much of an issue.
Surely the people in other parts of the world who are governed under strict religious law need help more than us in the secular west?
Help the most needy first? You know?
Or just take advantage of the wests secular laws and do nothing to help those who are genuinely oppressed by religious law?
KittenKoder leading the atheist crusade against Islam in the Middle East. I want to see that!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9364 Nov 26, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you talking about?
I'm saying that people in other parts of the world are oppressed by their country because of religion. In the west this isn't as much of an issue.
Surely the people in other parts of the world who are governed under strict religious law need help more than us in the secular west?
Help the most needy first? You know?
Or just take advantage of the wests secular laws and do nothing to help those who are genuinely oppressed by religious law?
Ironically, we are trying to help those other countries, there are several secular (atheist specific even) charities that do a lot of work to help. However, even in your own mythology, you have to make your house right before you can help others with their houses. Or did you miss those lessons?

Face it, the god delusion is infecting our country too much, we can't help others with their delusions so long as ours is infected.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9365 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
KittenKoder leading the atheist crusade against Islam in the Middle East. I want to see that!
Why would I bother?
First, there are not many of those in my area, I have no idea what they even believe, thus I have nothing to offer on the subject.
Second, there are plenty of atheists already addressing those issues, and they know a lot more than I do. I get a lot of christians who message me asking for more of my christian vids anyway, if I would stop coding long enough I could make another one, but my current program project is important to me. I come on here because it's the only way I can force myself to take a break from working on it.

However, you are a hypocrite, as Adam pointed out. There were several times when you whined about me addressing your posts on here, and then you go and judge me, yet your religion claims that you cannot judge. That's hypocrisy, plain and simple.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9366 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
She is the Joseph Goebbels of atheism!
Her videos come from the Ministry of Propaganda.
Only the swastika is missing!! LMFAO
I am sure she eats babies too...
Why did you lie about watching my vids? Most of them are actually about gay rights.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9367 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
We have seen what atheist societies can achieve: totalitarism just like Stalin's Soviet Union, Mao's China of Kim Ill Sung's North Korea.
An atheist sociey would be like George Orwell's 1984.
What we need is a society that respects different beliefs.
So, we have some mistakes, it does not make your religion's mistakes any less. One good example is the Crusades, but the more perfect example is the Salem Witchhunts because it demonstrates how delusional you are.

Of course this is all ignoring the fact that the religions were actually competition for the governments those people wanted, so really it was a political move, nothing to do with atheism.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9368 Nov 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Ironically, we are trying to help those other countries, there are several secular (atheist specific even) charities that do a lot of work to help. However, even in your own mythology, you have to make your house right before you can help others with their houses. Or did you miss those lessons?
Face it, the god delusion is infecting our country too much, we can't help others with their delusions so long as ours is infected.
Looks to me it's intolerance that's affecting your country, and atheists are as much to blame for it than religious folks!

Atheists don't bring a solution, they add to the problem.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9369 Nov 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would I bother?
First, there are not many of those in my area, I have no idea what they even believe, thus I have nothing to offer on the subject.
Second, there are plenty of atheists already addressing those issues, and they know a lot more than I do. I get a lot of christians who message me asking for more of my christian vids anyway, if I would stop coding long enough I could make another one, but my current program project is important to me. I come on here because it's the only way I can force myself to take a break from working on it.
However, you are a hypocrite, as Adam pointed out. There were several times when you whined about me addressing your posts on here, and then you go and judge me, yet your religion claims that you cannot judge. That's hypocrisy, plain and simple.
I would be very interested to learn what is MY religion.
Because I have said from the begining that I don't have one!
Looks like you have been barking up the wrong tree all along...
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9370 Nov 26, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
So its ok for you to bash Atheists personally.
But not ok for them to make impersonal remarks about theism?
I suggest you read my posts and hers and see who started the character assassination first!

I still haven't got a clue why!
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9371 Nov 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
the more perfect example is the Salem Witchhunts because it demonstrates how delusional you are.
.
Me? I was hardly living at that time!

Are you insane?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9372 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I would be very interested to learn what is MY religion.
Because I have said from the begining that I don't have one!
Looks like you have been barking up the wrong tree all along...
You're still trying that lie. I see you finally stopped capitalizing the label of "god," doesn't change that you were, and are probably still, lying.

The funny thing is that almost all deists I know prefer atheists, and would love to see religion, especially organized religion, abolished more than we do. We want you treated for your delusions, deists just want you thrown in jail.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9373 Nov 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You're still trying that lie. I see you finally stopped capitalizing the label of "god," doesn't change that you were, and are probably still, lying.
The funny thing is that almost all deists I know prefer atheists, and would love to see religion, especially organized religion, abolished more than we do. We want you treated for your delusions, deists just want you thrown in jail.
It's your insistance in saying that I am lying which I find very strange, added to your aggression.
If I write god or God is of no importance. I have noticed some people always write Earth, when I write earth. What's the big deal? None!
I am not in favour of organised religions myself, but if people want to gather in church on Sunday of kneel down five times a day, that's fine with me. Why would I wish that abolished?
And why would anyone would want me thrown in jail? What would be the charge?
Trouble with you and people of your ilk, is that you are too obsessed by your ideology, and you want to eliminate anyone not thinking like you.
I much prefer a world where believers of many religions, atheists, deists, agnostics co-habit and tolerate each other. I think we are slowly getting there. And I don't make it my mission in life to convert people, or convince to change their ideas. That, to me is absolutely pointless.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9374 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
It's your insistance in saying that I am lying which I find very strange, added to your aggression.
If I write god or God is of no importance. I have noticed some people always write Earth, when I write earth. What's the big deal? None!
I am not in favour of organised religions myself, but if people want to gather in church on Sunday of kneel down five times a day, that's fine with me. Why would I wish that abolished?
And why would anyone would want me thrown in jail? What would be the charge?
Trouble with you and people of your ilk, is that you are too obsessed by your ideology, and you want to eliminate anyone not thinking like you.
I much prefer a world where believers of many religions, atheists, deists, agnostics co-habit and tolerate each other. I think we are slowly getting there. And I don't make it my mission in life to convert people, or convince to change their ideas. That, to me is absolutely pointless.
Earth, the proper noun, is the name of the planet we're on. Poor choice of names since earth, a noun, is another word for dirt. Yeah, we named our planet Dirt. But hey, we all make mistakes.

Capitalization makes a huge difference, if you are speaking of the planet then you have to type "Earth" or it's confusing.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#9375 Nov 26, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
I agree with the seperation of church and state.
However, I don't agree with trampling on peoples religious/agnostic/atheist etc beliefs.
I'm not going to fall out with a person on the sole basis of them being an atheist, same as I won't fall out with another person on the sole basis of them being a muslim/mormon/raelian etc.
Thats whats better for society.
Ahhh, if they would only stop at conversation, but no. They want to convert you, they wish to make the laws of our land reflect their religious beliefs (hang ups), so sad.

That's not what promotes diversity and a healthy society.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9376 Nov 26, 2012
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhh, if they would only stop at conversation, but no. They want to convert you, they wish to make the laws of our land reflect their religious beliefs (hang ups), so sad.
That's not what promotes diversity and a healthy society.
Where did you see that?

In which country do you live where they try to convert you by force?
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9377 Nov 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Earth, the proper noun, is the name of the planet we're on. Poor choice of names since earth, a noun, is another word for dirt. Yeah, we named our planet Dirt. But hey, we all make mistakes.
Capitalization makes a huge difference, if you are speaking of the planet then you have to type "Earth" or it's confusing.
It's funny that you choose to comment on the triviality, but avoided to discuss the rest of the post.

Tell me, where does your agression comes from, and why do you need it to dicuss on a forum.
Also why do you attacked me when I said I was a deist?
I will not pretend I am atheist, since I believe there is a god, but that doesn't make me a supporter of organised religions.
So, again, why are you so mad?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How Many People Take Benzodiazepines? May 15 jeff 1
News Massena PD Public Record (May '13) May 15 Yo momma 4
News Top 9 Vacation Destinations For Wall Street Geeks (Sep '14) May 13 Andarz Abedini 3
News 2 dead, 10 wounded in weekend shootings on Sout... May 12 reality is a crutch 2
News Sequim couple accused of embezzling more than $... May 11 Sparky 1
News The 10 best Twin Cities dog friendly restaurants (Sep '14) May 11 Bob 10
News As Election Day nears, Romney crowds are surging (Oct '12) May 11 Will Dockery 114
More from around the web