Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Since: Nov 10

Dublin

#9327 Nov 25, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Dubbadub.
It has been pointed to me that most of the so-called atheists on this thread, in fact know each other and belong to the same circle of atheists.
Nothing wron in that, of course, but they gather force to drum up their " beliefs" and drown out anyone remotely believer or agnostic, or just doubtful on this thread.
KittenKodder, Gimemeliberty and a few other are in fact using this as a propagation tool.
I thought it look suspociouis that no discussion was possible, just endocrination.
Never mind. Just another example of cyber terrorism.
Yes there was something strange about them all assembling so quickly and also the monotonous similarity between many of them. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Funny that they blame religion for intolerance etc, yet many of them appear to be the most intolerant.
Andre

Durban, South Africa

#9328 Nov 25, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Not much to say, really.
I believe there is a creator, who was at the origin of the universe, just like I believe there is some form of afterlife. In what form I don't know, may be re-birth, reincarnation, etc ...
Maybe both are linked ...
I reject organised religions that create dogma around beliefs, build structures, try to control people, etc... and pretend to have all the answers.
I prefer to have some of my questions unanswered...
Thanks for the honest answer. Just from my perspective: It seems to indicate that the God you believe in is the One you decide he/she should be? That may be different from that of the next person’s God. Thus, it may be that we create a god to our “liking”, and thus a figment of our imagination – as atheists claim. There seems to be no clear revelation of God.
Please indicate which dogmas and structures you refer to and why it is a problem.
You may have a point with “control” insofar as various cults are concerned – trying to control others, normally by fear and most often a specific “denomination”. That is however not the position for instance put forward in the Bible. The Gospel is in fact “The Good News”– the news that Jesus died for our sins – shed his blood on the cross to make us right with God. Undeserved, by grace alone. For anyone that accepts Jesus Christ as Lord.
Andre

Durban, South Africa

#9329 Nov 25, 2012
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion debilitates knowledge, it's very nature is to not question and accept answers from others on faith.
You are making an assumption that is contrary to facts.? It seems to me that people of all religions actively participate in science and technology. As an example, some of the greatest scientists were /are of Christian persuasion. There is even a case to be made that the origin of modern science can be found in Christianity:
"as Whitehead pointed out, it is no coincidence that science sprang, not from Ionian metaphysics, not from the Brahmin-Buddhist-Taoist East, not from the Egyptian-Mayan astrological South, but from the heart of the Christian West"
So without going into a discussion of "who was first", it indicates that your premise is wrong - and an unsupported cliché.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#9330 Nov 26, 2012
Andre wrote:
<quoted text> people of all religions actively participate in science and technology. As an example, some of the greatest scientists were /are of Christian persuasion.
The church has actively resisted scientific knowledge for centuries.

Since Copernicus we have known the earth is not the centre of the universe, as previously thought. The sun is in fact the centre and we revolve around it.

Since Sir Isaac Newton discovered gravity, whole new fields of science have become available to mankind.

Since Charles Darwin discovered evolution. We have learnt that animals and plants werent created in their existing forms, but that they hve evolved over long millions of years from simpler forms. This has transformed how we view the world.

At each stage in our scientific learning, the church has been fighting progress cause it contradicts the stories of the bible. Science has transformed our lives, we no longer need to resort to magical thinking and superstition to explain natural events.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#9331 Nov 26, 2012
correction: the sun of course is at the centre of our solar system, not the universe .. d'oh
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#9332 Nov 26, 2012
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi MUQ, whats censorship like in Saudi Arabia. Could you read something like the "God Delusion", or go onto Atheist websites? Just wondered if this is possible.

I have read on t'internet that God delusion, is banned in turkey and uae.
rio

Bromley, UK

#9333 Nov 26, 2012
Andre wrote:
<quoted text> You may have a point with “control” insofar as various cults are concerned – trying to control others, normally by fear and most often a specific “denomination”. That is however not the position for instance put forward in the Bible. The Gospel is in fact “The Good News”– the news that Jesus died for our sins – shed his blood on the cross to make us right with God. Undeserved, by grace alone. For anyone that accepts Jesus Christ as Lord.
I don't recognise for myself any "revealed" religions like Judaism, Christianity of Islam. I don't believe in the bible or any religious books.
I am a deist; I think there ia a god, under which form, I don't know. I don't worship him and I don't need to congregate with others to be part of a group, sect, cult or religion.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#9334 Nov 26, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't recognise for myself any "revealed" religions like Judaism, Christianity of Islam. I don't believe in the bible or any religious books.
I am a deist; I think there ia a god, under which form, I don't know. I don't worship him and I don't need to congregate with others to be part of a group, sect, cult or religion.
Thats a good start. Do you also believe that religions can cause pschological damage. That they can leave people will a lot of emotional baggage. And can mess with people. I'm not talking about extremists, just run of the mill religious beliefs.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9335 Nov 26, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes there was something strange about them all assembling so quickly and also the monotonous similarity between many of them. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Funny that they blame religion for intolerance etc, yet many of them appear to be the most intolerant.
So you think we should not treat the mentally ill.

Dublin

#9336 Nov 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe in respecting all peoples faith or non-faith.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#9337 Nov 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Brilliant, unadulterated brilliance. Other relevant words simply fail me.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9338 Nov 26, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
I repeat, so you think we should not treat the mentally ill.

Dublin

#9339 Nov 26, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I repeat, so you think we should not treat the mentally ill.
So the majority of the world are mentally ill?

And you think your puny movement will be able to ''treat'' them?

Tell you what, go to Saudi Arabia, treat the ''mentally ill'' religious people there.

Let me kmow how you get on....

:)

Dublin

#9340 Nov 26, 2012
All this bitching and whining about religion.

Just respect peoples beliefs.

It could be worse, some countries would happily kill you for denying the existence of god/gods. And there would be nothing you could do about it, part of their laws.

At least in the west you can deny the existence of spiritual beings. Simply because a little thing called western values supports the idea that people should be respected REGARDLESS of their faith/non-faith.

If you want to abuse this system of values in the west, thats fair enough, cowardly, but go ahead.

When will you be treating the mentally ill in Saudi Arabia, Iran, Afghanistan?

Nah, thought so.....
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#9341 Nov 26, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the majority of the world appears to be suffering under the god delusion to some degree. Obvious not to the extent that they need hospitalising. But the world is full of religious nutcases following contradictory religions. Its a sad state of affairs.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9342 Nov 26, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
And you think your puny movement will be able to ''treat'' them?
Tell you what, go to Saudi Arabia, treat the ''mentally ill'' religious people there.
Let me kmow how you get on....
:)
When the whole world's crazy, the sane look insane. Yes, the majority are mentally ill, that is what delusion is, it's a mental illness.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9343 Nov 26, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
Nah, thought so.....
Sure, after we finish working on our own countries, well work to get them treated as well.
rio

Bromley, UK

#9344 Nov 26, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
You are asking too much from atheists on this forum; they are here to attack you until you leave this thread.
Then they will claim moral victory.
rio

Bromley, UK

#9345 Nov 26, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
All this bitching and whining about religion.
Just respect peoples beliefs.
It could be worse, some countries would happily kill you for denying the existence of god/gods. And there would be nothing you could do about it, part of their laws.
At least in the west you can deny the existence of spiritual beings. Simply because a little thing called western values supports the idea that people should be respected REGARDLESS of their faith/non-faith.
If you want to abuse this system of values in the west, thats fair enough, cowardly, but go ahead.
Nah, thought so.....
Respect and tolerance isn't on the agenda of atheists on this forum.
What they want is to prove is their "superiority".

Just notice the aggression; they are like a pack of wolves.

Dublin

#9346 Nov 26, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the majority of the world appears to be suffering under the god delusion to some degree. Obvious not to the extent that they need hospitalising. But the world is full of religious nutcases following contradictory religions. Its a sad state of affairs.
My view is though, as long as religion and state are seperate. As long as the state isn't using religion to restrict everyones personal freedoms. Then its no ones business what anyone believes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Scher, Montrose physician and convicted murdere... (Jan '11) Tue AHZ 17
News Howell residents can weigh in on 3-mill tax hike Tue RetiringSoon 1
News Allura is back, up and running Apr 15 Intelligent 5
News 'Momentum is on our side,' Oklahoma teachers un... Apr 10 Your Voice 2
News Trump troop request creates opening for governo... Apr 7 SHAVED FART 9
News Arkansas woman faces 13th DWI Apr 6 Uncle Tom 4
News Vatican backs Obama as Nobel Peace Prize Winner (Oct '09) Apr 5 helpful links 40