Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments (Page 431)

Showing posts 8,601 - 8,620 of21,341
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really though.
If people can say exactly where doctors, family etc were in the room and what they were doing after they were dead.
That is pretty unexplainable. You know?
You are taking it at face value, and not even wondering if these stories are at all true. Anyone with even a small amount of knowledge in how the brain works knows that people hallucinate pretty convincing alternate realities when under the stresses of brain suffocation. So yes, you are taking it at face value without being skeptical, or even intelligent.

Since: Nov 10

Dublin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are taking it at face value, and not even wondering if these stories are at all true. Anyone with even a small amount of knowledge in how the brain works knows that people hallucinate pretty convincing alternate realities when under the stresses of brain suffocation. So yes, you are taking it at face value without being skeptical, or even intelligent.
I find out of body experiences interesting.

How can someone who is dead tell exactly what was going on around their body while they were dead?

NDE's yeah could be hallucination. But out of body experiences where the person can tell word for word movement for movement what was going on in that room after they were dead?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
I find out of body experiences interesting.
How can someone who is dead tell exactly what was going on around their body while they were dead?
NDE's yeah could be hallucination. But out of body experiences where the person can tell word for word movement for movement what was going on in that room after they were dead?
How can you tell that they didn't make it up? That's just the first point. The rest would take a decade to explain it to you.

Dublin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you tell that they didn't make it up? That's just the first point. The rest would take a decade to explain it to you.
If they're not selling a book, and strangers such as doctors etc who were present at the time are saying its true. What excuse would they have to lie? If they're not profitting from it. You know?

How could it take so long to explain?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
If they're not selling a book, and strangers such as doctors etc who were present at the time are saying its true. What excuse would they have to lie? If they're not profitting from it. You know?
You are just as gullible as any religious person.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

What do you call a Muslim that owns a camel and a goat?

Bisexual

Dublin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well this discussion was a bit pointless.

Good day to you.....

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Did you hear about the Muslim strip club?

It features full facial nudity.
soapman

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

youtube.com/watch... Old Farts or Young Stinkers? religon is fading is locations
rio

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean that we are all idiots, but that you have a superior intelligence, right?
That's how YOU can understand everything, but your explanations would go over our heads, yes?
rio

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Or YOU are just as gullible as any non-religious person, perhaps?

You aren't suffering from a superiority complex, by any chance?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
Good day to you.....
When you want to talk science you don't bring fantasy and myth to the table.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean that we are all idiots, but that you have a superior intelligence, right?
That's how YOU can understand everything, but your explanations would go over our heads, yes?
It's called neuroscience, and yes, it takes a lot more than 5 minutes to learn, a lot more.
rio

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
Good day to you.....
There is no discussion possible when one side pretends it knows everything and everybody else is just ignorant.
In matters of faith, beliefs, religions, etc... it's good to keep an open mind and some humility.
Atheists can prove to be just as fanatic as some believers, I found.
Nikki

Haacht, Belgium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Dubbadub wrote:
Just because they're not making money of it doesn't mean they're not benefitting from it. A devout christian would want to have an NDE when nearly dying because this would validate his faith.
Some explanations just are pretty complicated and nearly everyone on this forum has had this debate many times before.

If you're really interested this article might help explain the science of it a bit:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...

You'll probably be disappointed though...

"Altogether, scientific evidence suggests that all features of the near-death experience have some basis in normal brain function gone awry."

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Or YOU are just as gullible as any non-religious person, perhaps?
You aren't suffering from a superiority complex, by any chance?
You love contradicting yourself too, how cute.
Ramafuchs

Köln, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

I will die without any religious affliations. I was born like all of us without religion. after our intellectual upbringing we follow some sort of religion..
I know a son of my sister who cannot speak, read, or hear the noise around his surrounding. He has no religion nor any trouble to get his food..A simple Atheist like me need no GOD
Ramafuchs

Köln, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Of course i have rational thoughts to expose my ignorance

Dublin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no discussion possible when one side pretends it knows everything and everybody else is just ignorant.
In matters of faith, beliefs, religions, etc... it's good to keep an open mind and some humility.
Atheists can prove to be just as fanatic as some believers, I found.
Exactly some of them are fanatical. Yeah true I think its important to have tolerance of peoples beliefs with regard to their faith or lack of it.

I used to have time for Dawkins, didn't agree with all he said but thought he was interesting all the same. I saw him then slagging off Mitt Romney on some US chat show because Romney was a Mormon. Now I believe Mormonism is not true, but I thought Dawkins slagging Romney off over believing in it was a bit below the belt. He went down in my estimation a bit because of that.

Obviously Romney like him or not, isn't stupid, he wouldn't have been running for President if he was. He has his religious beliefs, I think they deserve a bit of respect no matter how far out people might think they are.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists cannot convince religious people, just like religious people cannot convince atheists.
Having said that, gratuitous insults like "superstition", "self-deluded" and "Crutch to deal with reality" are not necessary.
The fact is that both sides are right in their beliefs. There is no conflict. It's all about faith in what you beleive, which cannot be proven anyway.
I was once religious and many atheists I know tell the same story. So your theory that no one changes is seriously flawed. Now that more people are better educated, religion is falling by the wayside. More people are leaving the churches and less young people are joining. Hence the title of the thread.

I once was blind but now I'm free;0) What you think of as superfluous jibes are merely an accurate description from my POV. Likewise those who threaten me with hellfire and brimstone seem pretty silly, JIMHO.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 8,601 - 8,620 of21,341
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••