Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24182 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Since: Nov 10

Dublin

#9134 Nov 20, 2012
I've a problem taking anything on face value. I really do.

The only thing that makes me think there is something else is not near death experiences.

Its those ''out of body'' experiences people who have died and came back have had. Where they were hovering above their dead body.

Experiences where they could see and tell exactly what was happening to them like they were alive. They can say exactly what was happening yet they were dead.

That sort of stuff is unexplainable......

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9135 Nov 20, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
I've a problem taking anything on face value. I really do.
The only thing that makes me think there is something else is not near death experiences.
Its those ''out of body'' experiences people who have died and came back have had. Where they were hovering above their dead body.
Experiences where they could see and tell exactly what was happening to them like they were alive. They can say exactly what was happening yet they were dead.
That sort of stuff is unexplainable......
You are doing exactly what you say you don't do. Why do you lie?

Dublin

#9136 Nov 20, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are doing exactly what you say you don't do. Why do you lie?
Not really though.

If people can say exactly where doctors, family etc were in the room and what they were doing after they were dead.

That is pretty unexplainable. You know?
Nikki

Brecht, Belgium

#9137 Nov 20, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
5 billions, 8 billions, 10 billions, what's the hell?
Do you think each one of these lives on earth is going to be meaningfull?
Looks like 8 or 10 billions cabbages rotting to oblivion to me if there is no afterlife.
That doesn't give much value to life really, does it?
Ah the ever returning "Is this it?" question.
In the words of Richard Dawkins: "What do you mean is this it? THis is wonderful."

I think the fact that our lives are relatively short makes them more precious, not less. We only truly get how great a gift life is because we can contrast it with death, in the same way we wouldn' t be able to comprehend light without darkness or good without evil. They're two sides of the same coin and one is meaningless without the other.
Nikki

Brecht, Belgium

#9138 Nov 20, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I stick to that definition: "Belief is the psychological state in which an individual holds a proposition or premise to be true."
Your affirmation in the non-existence of God IS a belief.
It may not be religious, but it is a philosophical belief.
Atheists often repute the idea that they have a belief, because they equate beliefs with superstition. Fine with me ...
Does that mean we are both members of the 'I believe in the non-existence of flying purple dinosaurs' club?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9139 Nov 20, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really though.
If people can say exactly where doctors, family etc were in the room and what they were doing after they were dead.
That is pretty unexplainable. You know?
You are taking it at face value, and not even wondering if these stories are at all true. Anyone with even a small amount of knowledge in how the brain works knows that people hallucinate pretty convincing alternate realities when under the stresses of brain suffocation. So yes, you are taking it at face value without being skeptical, or even intelligent.

Dublin

#9140 Nov 20, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are taking it at face value, and not even wondering if these stories are at all true. Anyone with even a small amount of knowledge in how the brain works knows that people hallucinate pretty convincing alternate realities when under the stresses of brain suffocation. So yes, you are taking it at face value without being skeptical, or even intelligent.
I find out of body experiences interesting.

How can someone who is dead tell exactly what was going on around their body while they were dead?

NDE's yeah could be hallucination. But out of body experiences where the person can tell word for word movement for movement what was going on in that room after they were dead?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9141 Nov 20, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
I find out of body experiences interesting.
How can someone who is dead tell exactly what was going on around their body while they were dead?
NDE's yeah could be hallucination. But out of body experiences where the person can tell word for word movement for movement what was going on in that room after they were dead?
How can you tell that they didn't make it up? That's just the first point. The rest would take a decade to explain it to you.

Dublin

#9142 Nov 20, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you tell that they didn't make it up? That's just the first point. The rest would take a decade to explain it to you.
If they're not selling a book, and strangers such as doctors etc who were present at the time are saying its true. What excuse would they have to lie? If they're not profitting from it. You know?

How could it take so long to explain?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9143 Nov 20, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
If they're not selling a book, and strangers such as doctors etc who were present at the time are saying its true. What excuse would they have to lie? If they're not profitting from it. You know?
You are just as gullible as any religious person.

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#9144 Nov 20, 2012
What do you call a Muslim that owns a camel and a goat?

Bisexual

Dublin

#9145 Nov 20, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well this discussion was a bit pointless.

Good day to you.....

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#9146 Nov 20, 2012
Did you hear about the Muslim strip club?

It features full facial nudity.
soapman

Masontown, PA

#9147 Nov 20, 2012
youtube.com/watch... Old Farts or Young Stinkers? religon is fading is locations
rio

UK

#9148 Nov 20, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean that we are all idiots, but that you have a superior intelligence, right?
That's how YOU can understand everything, but your explanations would go over our heads, yes?
rio

UK

#9149 Nov 20, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Or YOU are just as gullible as any non-religious person, perhaps?

You aren't suffering from a superiority complex, by any chance?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9150 Nov 20, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
Good day to you.....
When you want to talk science you don't bring fantasy and myth to the table.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9151 Nov 20, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean that we are all idiots, but that you have a superior intelligence, right?
That's how YOU can understand everything, but your explanations would go over our heads, yes?
It's called neuroscience, and yes, it takes a lot more than 5 minutes to learn, a lot more.
rio

UK

#9152 Nov 20, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
Good day to you.....
There is no discussion possible when one side pretends it knows everything and everybody else is just ignorant.
In matters of faith, beliefs, religions, etc... it's good to keep an open mind and some humility.
Atheists can prove to be just as fanatic as some believers, I found.
Nikki

Brecht, Belgium

#9153 Nov 20, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
Just because they're not making money of it doesn't mean they're not benefitting from it. A devout christian would want to have an NDE when nearly dying because this would validate his faith.
Some explanations just are pretty complicated and nearly everyone on this forum has had this debate many times before.

If you're really interested this article might help explain the science of it a bit:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...

You'll probably be disappointed though...

"Altogether, scientific evidence suggests that all features of the near-death experience have some basis in normal brain function gone awry."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Southern Bancorp Plans To Raise $20M 1 hr Hmmm 16
News 3 Homebuilders To Avoid, 1 To Consider Now (Feb '12) Tue COLONY in a COUNTRY 12
News Ramsey grand juror welcomes new DNA tests, disc... Mar 23 Texxy 1
News Greer Labs sues ex-executive for $840,000 (Oct '14) Mar 22 Southerngirl 17
News JonBenet case analysis suggests Ramsey family s... Mar 20 kauna 61
News House Republicans move plan that would deny foo... Mar 16 Texxy 1
News Court rules to liquidate Duraco Products (Mar '10) Mar 15 rambler rich 14
More from around the web