Yelm, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2007

Hello,

I own a 05' V Star 650 Silverado edition. Today I was riding on the highway cruising about 70 mph. My speedo gauge dropped to 0 mph and then the trip odometer and regular odometer stopped working. I was wondering if this has happend to anyone else, and if so, what was a good fix for it. Thanks in advance for the help!

erik
Chris

Aiken, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2007

I have a 2000 classic with the same issue. I'm just starting to research the issue.
mike h

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

I have a 99 vstar custom and my speedo quit to...did you guys find out how to fix or where to start...must be a speed sensor somewhere? any help appreciated!
Ruben

Gilbert, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Hi I have a 99 650 v-star and I noticed a tiking noise. I took it in to have it checked they said they could not find the problem and gave me the ok to go on road trip. not so good trip!! the tick got louder and eventually lost all power at 65 miles per hour. total shut down. Any ideas? it will turn over just wont turn on.
Joe

Bozeman, MT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

I have a 01 V Star 1100 and a similar thing happened to me. I was cruising down the interstate at about 75 when my speedometer dropped to 0 then kept bouncing up and back down. Basically shutting on and off. Later I noticed that it would work until I disengaged the clutch or turned a blinker on. However as soon as I let the clutch out or turned the blinker off the speedometer would work again. But now it doesn't work at all. Either does my horn, blinkers, and brake light. I'm bringing it down to the shop tomorrow morning. I'll let you guys know what they say.
Norm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2009

Joe wrote:
I have a 01 V Star 1100 and a similar thing happened to me. I was cruising down the interstate at about 75 when my speedometer dropped to 0 then kept bouncing up and back down. Basically shutting on and off. Later I noticed that it would work until I disengaged the clutch or turned a blinker on. However as soon as I let the clutch out or turned the blinker off the speedometer would work again. But now it doesn't work at all. Either does my horn, blinkers, and brake light. I'm bringing it down to the shop tomorrow morning. I'll let you guys know what they say.
Same thing happend to me last week. 10amp fuse (signal fuse) blew out. Replaced fuse and the new one blew. I assumed a wire was grounding somewhere. Took it to shop. Wire's were fine. they said problem "may" be in rear break wiring. There is a switch in-line that may have gone bad. They did replace 10amp fuse with 15 amp fuse and have not had any problems. I am going to replace that switch then try to go back to 10 amp fuse and see if that was the problem. They ordered switch... should have fixed end of week.
Norm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2009

UPDATE:

Well, they are going tochange out that switch today, but I have ridden over 600 miles with that 10amp fuse switched out for a 15amp without a single problem. That would appear to be the cheapes quickest fix.
Jesse Chadwick

Tokyo, Japan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2009

enaggs33 wrote:
Hello,
I own a 05' V Star 650 Silverado edition. Today I was riding on the highway cruising about 70 mph. My speedo gauge dropped to 0 mph and then the trip odometer and regular odometer stopped working. I was wondering if this has happend to anyone else, and if so, what was a good fix for it. Thanks in advance for the help!
erik
I just had the same problem. Driving along and at about 100km my speedo just cut out. Ordered a new speed cable for my v-star because it was old but it doesn't seem to be the problem. I'm taking it in to find out what it might be.

cheers
Norm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Jesse Chadwick wrote:
<quoted text>
I just had the same problem. Driving along and at about 100km my speedo just cut out. Ordered a new speed cable for my v-star because it was old but it doesn't seem to be the problem. I'm taking it in to find out what it might be.
cheers
Read my post above. That was the fix. I've had NO PROBLEMS since. Again, the quickest and cheapest fix was to switch out the 10 apm fuse for a 15.
Spark65

El Monte, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2010

Ya its a fuse on the left side. Under your butt, where the tool kit us and where most of us keep our paperwork. I Had half my bike apart before I found it, to easy, lol. 30 second fix.30 min to put the bike back together.
steel76120

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2010

trying to figure out which wire on the speedo is for the pickup so that I can use that to hook up to the new aftermarket one
blue moon

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2010

Norm wrote:
<quoted text>
Read my post above. That was the fix. I've had NO PROBLEMS since. Again, the quickest and cheapest fix was to switch out the 10 apm fuse for a 15.
I'm having the same issue. Which fuse did you switch? Looking at my 650 manual, it doesn't look like there is a spedometer specific fuse, the 10 amps ones are just signaling and ignition, then there are two 15 amps ones, healight and carburateur and the main fuse, 30 amps. Which one is related to speedometer/odometer?
Doug

Bellwood, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2010

steel76120 wrote:
trying to figure out which wire on the speedo is for the pickup so that I can use that to hook up to the new aftermarket one
I have a Clymer book for the 1100. The blue/yellow runs to the speed sensor.The Blue/black runs to the ignitor from the speed sensor and the white runs from the ignitor to the speed sensor and for some reason to the flasher relay and the speedo
Tracey

Muskogee, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2010

I had the problem with my speedometer and gauges quitting while I was driving but the bike was running fine. I changed out the fuse but it blew out when I turned the key on. It made a clicking noise. Changed all the fuses and now have no electrical connection. Not grounded anywhere. Could it be a relay? or ignitor core? Any ideas?
jband

Cranston, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2010

1999 roadstar changed battery,starter cables to 4 gauge went 200 miles ok after filling bike up speeo,fuelgauge and self-canceling stopped working self-diagnostic works ok HELP
Yan

Rockville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2010

Same thing happen here, I was cruising my 05 V Star 650 classic, about 68/70 mph and speedometer, odometer, trip meter stop working. I tried replacing 10 amps fuse as suggested, but not fixing the issue. My next check will be speedometer cable which I have to take it to the shop to check and replace. Something interesting about ticking on early post, I noticed ticking sound come out when I turn the key on then go away as soon as engine run. Does anyone know ticking sound is related to speedometer stop working issue?
JayDog

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2010

I have a 2007 V-Star 1300 and my speedometer works fine although I'm pretty sure the odometer needle moves 10 miles faster than the actual speed of the bike. Anybody else having this problem? I've even pulled next to my friends car driving at 65 miles per hour. My speedometer read 75 the entire time. Can someone lend me a quick fix tip for this problem. Thank you kindly!-JayDog
Daredevil

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2010

Having similar issue with my 2006 V-Star 1100. Will try switching the fuse after I check all connections. I just bought a new battery because the old one died on me. It was definitely time because I've had trouble starting the bike more and more over the past several months. With a new battery the bike fired right up, but as I pulled into the gas station 7 minutes later I noticed the speedometer moving erratically and gauge lights dimming. It had done this before, but not in a long time. Anyway, it was fine up until today. BTW, I believe the clicking sound that was mentioned is normal. It's coming from the instrument panel, right? I believe that is the fuel pump. It should click for a couple seconds and stop. If it continues to click then there is a problem. Also, I bought my bike used back in September. Previous owner didn't mention any electrical problems, but maybe since it was consistent he just decided not to say anything. He didn't ride it much (only putting 2500 miles on it in 3-4 years). Thanks.
Mikey

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2010

Speedo broken on 99 v star. Sounds like the fuse idea is worth a try. Is there a specic fuse just for the speedo? Everything else works fine so if there is not specific fuse that can't be the problem.
I guy was in the shop just before me same day, with same problem, same bike. He tried a new sensor and it didn't fix the problem.
Doug

Altoona, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2010

I found out that there are two fuses on the speedo on the 1100 v star. I replaced the 5 amp one and have had no more problems.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of42
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Yamaha Motorcycle Discussions

Search the Yamaha Motorcycle Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado Problem (Sep '09) Jul 5 blah 30
'82 Yamaha 650 maxim trouble (Jan '08) Jun 28 stan 27
Yamaha FZ-S V2.0 launch this month? May '14 FZ_V_2_0 1
The Waiting Is Over - Yamaha's YZF-R125 Is Avai... (Jun '08) May '14 Henry 14
Jupiter Drag Bike Apr '14 blablala 1
97 yamaha kodiak 400 (Jan '07) Apr '14 97 kodiak 33
seats Apr '14 DBS 2
•••
•••