Victory sales drop in first quarter

Victory sales drop in first quarter

There are 7 comments on the Motorcycle.com story from Apr 16, 2009, titled Victory sales drop in first quarter. In it, Motorcycle.com reports that:

Victory motorcycle sales during the first quarter 2009 fell a whopping 49 percent compared to the first quarter 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Motorcycle.com.

Chuck Silverman

Idledale, CO

#1 May 11, 2009
They've got great bikes. Sounds like they need a new ad agency.
Loved my hammer

Wheat Ridge, CO

#2 May 12, 2009
Great looking bike but if it breaks down your in for a long wait to get it back. Kind of explains the issues with sales.
Loved my hammer

Wheat Ridge, CO

#3 May 14, 2009
WE have five dealerships in Colorado, after this month it will be THREE. Think that says it all.
DJO

Dartmouth, Canada

#4 May 14, 2009
They don't have a low-end low-cost bike. That's the only reason their sales are suffering. A year from now, it'll all be clear cruising for them.

They make great bikes, and they have deep pockets. I wouldn't be surprised to see them release a smaller bike to compete with the Sportster. While I doubt it'd come out in the near-term, I imagine it's part of their long-term diversification plan.

As for their ad agency...yeah, they clearly need some change-up. Same goes for their website. Polaris products and Victory products need their own separate web presence. A good ad agency would push for that immediately. All about branding.
Chuck - TSA Advertising

Idledale, CO

#5 May 15, 2009
We don't speak for Victory, although we'd sure like to, but in this economic climate they have to do what everybody is doing. Contracting and adjusting.

Look at Chrysler and GM. And even Harley. Not pretty.

Victory competes mainly with Harley and Big Dog. Not necessarily the metric cruisers. And Victorys are significantly less. They are going for top quality American Iron at a good value, with lower volume. And that's a very viable niche. An even lower-priced entry-level bike is certainly a consideration, but it's smart they're taking the higher ground and not making "cheap" bikes.

We think they just need to communicate their brand image in ways that are as unique as the bikes they make. The Victory brand image is a little hazy and unfocused right now. But the bikes are right on the money. That CORE concept bike is awesome!
kimjady

Lakeville, MN

#6 Jun 6, 2009
If they really want to compete with Harley they need to redesign the top end Vision. In my view, this is a better built and better riding bike than the electra glide. That being said, its looks appeal to only a niche group. Give us the option of a more classic look and we'll be in line to buy one.
willy

La Porte, TX

#7 Jul 11, 2009
kimjady wrote:
If they really want to compete with Harley they need to redesign the top end Vision. In my view, this is a better built and better riding bike than the electra glide. That being said, its looks appeal to only a niche group. Give us the option of a more classic look and we'll be in line to buy one.
Victory is not completing with HD glide, why should they, they have already left them behind with the Vision.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Victory Motorcycle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
victory clutch (Mar '07) Aug 13 Mtstahl 140
News Indian Partners With Zac Brown Band For U.S.O. ... May '15 Slowtire 1
News 2015 Ridin' On The Ridge May '15 easy 1
Like ability (Jun '14) May '15 92 sport cruiser 2
News Polaris Acquires Electric Motorcycle Manufactur... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Solarman 1
News How Indian and Victory Could Outrace Harley-Dav... (Nov '13) Oct '14 bay1943 9
News Biketoberfest roars to life in Daytona Beach an... (Oct '14) Oct '14 hummingbirddraago... 4
More from around the web