Ural carburation
wyojim5

AOL

#1 Feb 24, 2007
Need some help and advise.
New mc. Farts and backfires after opening chokes even after ten minutes of riding with chokes closed.
I am presently at 4800 feet. Original jets are .125's. When I return home I'll be at close to 8000 feet.
Can anyone tell me which jets to use at these elevations? I'm guessing that the main jets are accessable with the float bowl removed, right?
Really need help as I did not even get an owner's manual when the mc was delivered. Send they would send it later but as I'm on the road until May, not sure if it will catch up with me before then.
Thanks from a rookie.
Jim
Bonsaimel

Vancouver, WA

#2 Mar 20, 2007
Probably not carbs, but your ignition, stock russian ignition is not reliable, Ducati makes a useable replacement.
john t

Zionhill, PA

#3 May 17, 2007
i have a 2000 ural 650 cc .can someone send me the procedure for adjusting the valves on this engine? please email to:
[email protected]
thank you

Since: May 07

Mayer, AZ

#4 May 29, 2007
I just solved what seemed to have all the ere markings of your problem. For me it turned out to be the electronic ignition exciter rotor. This is located under the microprocessor at the front of the engine (under about the only plastic on the bike). If you remove the microprocessor you will find a black segmented wheel, it is held on by a 10mm bolt. Remove the bolt and pull straight out and off the inside shaft. On inspection I am sure you will find the segmented wheel or cup is loose on it's shaft. This can be corrected by using a center punch on the back side to swage the wheel to the shaft. BUT!!! be for your do this find the correct position by replacing on the engine replace the processor and check your timing as explained in owners manual (Oh you don't have one) well go on line to Ural Motorcycle site and down load one, or the page you need. Once you find the correct place for the wheel or rotor if you will, remove it and go at it with the center punch where the rotor is pressed onto it's shaft, a number of small indents should be enough to tighten it. OR call your local dealer and order the new Ducati ignition being used on the 07s ~$300
Good Luck
Denny M
kenny t

Vancouver, WA

#5 Mar 18, 2008
I HAVE A 2007 URAL RETRO,, I BOUGHT THE BIKE TO TAKE MY DOG RIDING WITH ME,, I DID NOT THINK I WOULD LOVE RIDING THIS BIKE SO MUCH ,, IT'S LIKE GOING TO THE CIRCUS,HOWEVER, I'M USED TO MORE POWER. THE CARBS. SPIT AND COUGH TILL IT GETS GOOD AND WARMED -UP. I WAS TOLD ON THE MARKET CALLED JRC ,THEY ARE A 30 MM WITH A FLAT SLIDE I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND ANY DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW OF THIS CARB./ AND IF SO,,, HOW CAN I FIND TWO OF THESE BABIES? THEY'RE SUPPOSE TO GIVE ME MORE H.P. AND BETTER FUEL ECONOMY. ANY IMFO. WOULD HELP. I'M JUST AN OLD FLAT-TRACKER THAT WOULD LIKE TO GET DOWN THE ROAD FASTER THAN 60 M.P.H. THANKS KENNY T.
Lyle

Bismarck, ND

#6 Mar 24, 2008
The big problem with Urals are they are jetted way too lean from the factory. Put larger pilot and main jets in it and your long warm up times will dissapear along with the coughing thru that carbs. Not to mention the power increase. You don't need new carbs, just jet your correctly.
Allan

Sudbury, Canada

#7 Apr 29, 2008
Also remove those goddammed stock mufflers that choke up the motor and install Dunstalls or the Modtop system. Much improved acceleration, top end and sounds much better.
SamG

AOL

#8 May 6, 2008
Just put on Modtops and K and N filter. Used the 45/130 with good results
Tim

Jeffersonville, IN

#9 May 26, 2008
SamG wrote:
Just put on Modtops and K and N filter. Used the 45/130 with good results
I just purchase my 2002, I have the same problem
What are Modtops
Dwight

Kanata, Canada

#10 Sep 11, 2008
I was told that valves have to be set ever 5000 kilometors is this true.I was looking to buy new ural I like the bike but the valves at 5000 I dont like
Daniel

Ballston Spa, NY

#11 Nov 1, 2008
These exhaust mods talked about above... Are they helpful the same for all Ural motorcycles? I'm holding up traffic in my Sportsman. I need much more power!
Robb

Tarzana, CA

#13 Dec 15, 2008
My 2007 patrol seems to have too much camber in the side car wheel. Has anybody seen this problem? The wheel bearings are correct.
george

Sioux City, IA

#14 May 3, 2010
I have a 2006 tourist.I purchased with 30 miles on the bike.The bike did not run good from first start up.I noticed the pipes turning blue from the first start up.The bike was under warranty but no local dealer.Medical problems prevented my taking the bike to a dealer.The bike has not been used since.Recently tried to get it going.Pipes were too hot.450F measured with laser device,within less than a minute.Removed and cleaned the carbs.Same problem.Any suggestions.
BakuBrian

Baku, Azerbaijan

#15 Aug 31, 2010
Canadian in Baku with Ural,,,,and you want to know how fun that is!!!....parts! Ha, George, one of two or the combination - 1) Timing way out,( common occurence ) check ignition ideas with the problems associated with electronics or as suggested, change to Ducati '07 , 2) Carbs leaking - spray check at heads to see if there is a difference in the engine rpm. Using almost any light flammable spray - DO NOT USE ETHER!!!. Carb jetting should not be the issue though if idle mix is set too lean you will get heat, though should not be that kind of heat.....
from Baku, Azerbaijan......
defender42

Procious, WV

#16 Dec 5, 2010
have a 1998 ural tourist that ran fine for a long time,it runs good until it has been ridden a few miles,then it pops and and burps and doesnt seem to have the power it had,have set the vales,cleaned the carbs real good,mikunis,and fooled with the timing,has electronic ignition,this bike has always been very dependable,also have a denpr,junk,,,,any help would be welcome,there are no dealers that I am aware of in west virginia,thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ural Motorcycle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
help identifying a bike Mar '16 heloise 2
Newbe Feb '16 heloise 2
Thinking of purchasing a Ural for a long road t... (Jul '11) Jan '16 drakar 10
ural 650 (Oct '15) Dec '15 wikineon 3
Any review about Masei Helmet (Dec '15) Dec '15 wikineon 1
2015 Gear Up Sportsman (Jul '15) Jul '15 Dan 2
Ural Shifting (Jul '07) May '15 Robert Bielski 11
More from around the web