Al C

AOL

#1 Aug 17, 2009
I have a problem somewhat like the recent post about timimg. My friend's Ural quit pretty suddenly and has not run since. I'm a pretty good auto mechanic and said I would have a look at it. It has good compression and seems to have a good, steady spark. I have tried to get it to fire a little with a shot of go-juice in the carb and even a shot in a cylinder, but no fire at all.

Following the Ural instructions, I had a look at the "moving coil" timer up front. Actually it appears to be a moving magnet type of pulser, but that's no problem. I set the flywheel to the firing mark and I see a well-defined line on the rotor, but where is the stator line supposed to be? It's a little hard to see around the interference of the front wheel. Is the mark above or below the rotor? I assume it must be on the adjustable plate which mounts the pickup. It's hard to imagine the timing has slipped so much it doesn't fire at all, but I just wanted to check it out.

Any suggestions out there? Thanks.
alzip

Aylmer, Canada

#2 Sep 9, 2012
you might try the coil i understand that the coil malfuntion is quite comand thier are two marks on the fiy wheel one for valve timing the other for ignitionthe first is for valve thrnext is for ignitionso if you go to top dead centre and a little past it sould line up with the second marmine is a 94 i updated mine to the newer elec. igni.and a new coil for parts try sales@engineering,com orgota idea@yahoo.com orhttp//russianiron.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ural Motorcycle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ural Shifting (Jul '07) May 12 Robert Bielski 11
Solo rear brake shims ??? Apr 22 Tree 3
does engine get hot on feet (Feb '13) Mar '15 jdanus 3
engine oil leaks (Jan '10) Oct '14 heloise 6
Thinking of purchasing a Ural for a long road t... (Jul '11) Sep '14 Tree 9
2014 vs 2013 Ural (Dec '13) Sep '14 Tree 5
Interested in trading 04 Road King Custom for U... (Mar '13) Sep '14 Tree 2
More from around the web