Since: May 07

Prescott Valley, AZ

#1 Jul 3, 2007
I may be the only Ural owner who doesn't Know this, but then I'm always the last one to Know and the first to forget.
I've discovered that there is a neutral between every gear in the Ural transmission, SO, buy shifting lightly, a person can go into neutral between every gear and leather "double clutching" or weighting a second before shifting into the the next gear you can eliminate the "crash" normally experienced.
This technique is likened to shifting an old ford truck.
It takes a little practice, but I think it will add many years to the tranny.
This is something my dealer obviously did not Known, as I was told to just bang it into gear when I purchase the Bike.

Stay Upright
Denny M
Clint

Pioneer, CA

#2 Sep 9, 2007
My Patrol doesn't have that option. Seriously, I'd be cautious of a false neutral if anywhere but where it should be. Other opinions? Totally subscribe to the shifting technique.

Clint

Since: May 07

Prescott Valley, AZ

#3 Sep 12, 2007
Clint,
I'm not sure what year your patrol is, but my 2oo2 has a (crash box) transmission where in you are shifting gears, Not Synchronizers.
Also keep in mind that the very people telling you to "bang it into gear with gusto" are the same ones who sell the new tranies.
Only time and miles will tell who's right!
Stay Upright
Denny M
Jim

United States

#4 Sep 22, 2007
The new transmissions are similar to all other standard motorcycle transmissions. That is, they use dogs to engage the gears.
In essence all these transmissions are crash boxes as they don't have any synchronizers; however, the dog shifting is much more sturdy than gear on gear and should make clutchless shifting easier after take off.
Regardless of brand, knowing the shift points and engine shound for each shift makes shifting easier.
Mack

United States

#5 Nov 29, 2009
I've found that if you shift at a reasonable there won't be too much of a clash, also if you shift smartly it helps. If you try to shift slow and easy it'll grind. My first bike years ago was a 56 panhead with a tank shifter and I used to double clutch that but you have to realize that there's no detent for the false neutral so it can pop into gear at any time. With the old panhead you could hold the shifter while you worked the clutch and throttle, not so the Ural because it has a ratchet shifter. I like to bloop the throttle a little while I'm downshifting, makes it go in a little better. I'm not sure but I think the Ural tranny is a sliding gear type, that makes sense considering the time period when it was originally designed. Harley came out with a constant mesh type tranny in 1936 but it didn't have synchronizers and I don't think they do to this day.

Mack
ed barton

Houston, TX

#6 May 21, 2011
Dennis Melcher wrote:
I may be the only Ural owner who doesn't Know this, but then I'm always the last one to Know and the first to forget.
I've discovered that there is a neutral between every gear in the Ural transmission, SO, buy shifting lightly, a person can go into neutral between every gear and leather "double clutching" or weighting a second before shifting into the the next gear you can eliminate the "crash" normally experienced.
This technique is likened to shifting an old ford truck.
It takes a little practice, but I think it will add many years to the tranny.
This is something my dealer obviously did not Known, as I was told to just bang it into gear when I purchase the Bike.
Stay Upright
Denny M
I have found your discovery to be ture of my ural also.
miamiheat

Hollywood, FL

#7 Aug 4, 2011
I have a 2007 Tourist and has the same neutral positions. But as Mack says above, they can fall into gear anytime, so becareful.
I find that doing a very quick and light shift, the grinding is less.
Cornwam

Pittsburgh, PA

#8 Jun 23, 2012
Inhave a 2012 Patrol T with 300 miles and find it nearly impossible to shift it into neutral. I have tried shifting into neutral as I stop and when I am stopped to no avail. The only time I can get it into neutral is when I shut the bike down for a minute or so. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
heloise

De Soto, MO

#9 Jun 24, 2012
you can use reverse as a neutral-finder. Put the tranny is 1st. Pull in the clutch. Use the reverse lever to put the tranny into R but keep holding the clutch. Now take it out of R, vloila you're in neutral.

heloise
Vic

Lakeland, FL

#10 Sep 18, 2013
Jim wrote:
The new transmissions are similar to all other standard motorcycle transmissions. That is, they use dogs to engage the gears.
In essence all these transmissions are crash boxes as they don't have any synchronizers; however, the dog shifting is much more sturdy than gear on gear and should make clutchless shifting easier after take off.
Regardless of brand, knowing the shift points and engine shound for each shift makes shifting easier.
I have a 2013 ural is there any thicker addative that I can safely use to to ease the shifting noise.
Thank you Vic

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ural Motorcycle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
engine oil leaks (Jan '10) Oct '14 heloise 6
Thinking of purchasing a Ural for a long road t... (Jul '11) Sep '14 Tree 9
2014 vs 2013 Ural (Dec '13) Sep '14 Tree 5
Interested in trading 04 Road King Custom for U... (Mar '13) Sep '14 Tree 2
Eagles Thread.. (Oct '08) May '14 Maverick 808 760
Uraling to the Summit of Mount Evans, Summer 2012 (Aug '12) May '14 Dale 2
Standard 2004 petcock (Apr '14) Apr '14 Dave R 1
More from around the web