Maintenance on Jonway Chinese 50cc scooter

Posted in the Scooters Forum

First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Since: Oct 08

Centreville, VA

#1 Oct 4, 2008
Does anyone know how to replace the gear oil on a Jonway Chinese-made 50cc scooter? I know how to replace the engine oil, but the owners manual also suggests replacing the gear oil after the first 300 km. It says "take off the gear oil filling bolt, fill in high quality gear oil, then fasten gear oil filling bolt". There are no illustrations in the manual and I can only find the engine oil drain bolt.
Robert

Mountain City, TN

#2 Oct 4, 2008
On your transmission cover, the drain bolt will be to the lower front of the cover, It may even be on the front bottom of the cover. The fill bolt will be to the rear upper end of the cover. Both these bolts should be larger than the rest of the bolts holding on the cover, and should have washers which the others will not have.

Centreville, VA

#3 Oct 10, 2008
Regarding Robert's post, that drain bolt described sure looks like the engine oil drain bolt to me. There is only one drain bolt on the underside of the transmission and I'm assuming it contains the engine oil. So any other ideas on where to drain the gear oil and fill the gear oil?
Robert

Mountain City, TN

#4 Oct 10, 2008
Your engine oil drain bolt will be quite a bit larger than the transmission drain bolt. It will also have a spring and a filter. The tranny drain bolt will not. The Tranny drain bolt is probably no larger than 1/2". The oil drain will be on the engine block and the tranny drain will be on the transmission. The tranny is on the side of the engine, its damn difficult to confuse the two.

Woodbridge, VA

#5 Oct 14, 2008
Thanks for the advice Robert. I successfully drained the engine oil and replaced it. I think I located the gear oil drain bolt (smaller bolt under the transmission). However, I see no filler bolt anywhere on top of the transmission. I assume that the transmission is the black case located on the left side of the scooter directly under the air filter. If that's the transmission, then there is no filler bolt on top.

Any more advice?
Robert

Mountain City, TN

#6 Oct 14, 2008
No - the black case is the kick-start cover. The Tranny cover is metal colored and will be lower and to the rear of the kick-start cover. The tranny is only a few inches long. And all you will see is the bottom half of the tranny cover. The drain bolt will be in the front bottom, the fill will be a larger bolt and to the rear and higher than the fill. There is only maybe 4" separating the two bolts. The fill bolt may be marked "fill" or "Oil" in small letters.
Jomar

Chicago, IL

#7 Dec 2, 2008
I have a Jonway 50cc scooter. It's winter time so I would not be using it unitl spring 2009. It will be stored in an unheated garage where temperature can go below freezing. Should I drain the engine oil or can I just leave it? How about the battery?
Capt Don

AOL

#8 Dec 2, 2008
Jonway seems to be the Generic name for ALL Asian scooters. Is it 2 or 4 stroke? Makes a big difference in what to do. NEVER leave ANY scoot/ cycle stored w/o any oil of some sort in it. Clean oil that is. 2 stroke doesnt need much as it doesnt have any crankcase oil. 4 sttroke- change it & put any decent oil in it. You will probably drain it in the spring in event any moisture built up in there. The gear oil isnt that important. Just drain whats in there in the spring & refresh. A lite coat of some anti rust stuff on all the screws/ bolts etc & engine wouldnt hurt. Centerstand & ft tire up - good to go. Oh dont forget to top off the gas tank & stabil. Battery out & on a shelf somewhere. Maybe give it a monthly quicky charge? There is no fuel shutoff on mine so run the engine w/ the stabil in till some gets in the carb. Maybe plug the exhaust pipe- keeps little critters out & moisturs as well. I am so glad I dont have to do that crap anymore! Stay warm!!!!~
Daniel

Wilmington, NC

#9 Dec 15, 2008
how do you take the governor off my scooter
Robert

Rock Island, IL

#10 Dec 15, 2008
Jomar wrote:
I have a Jonway 50cc scooter. It's winter time so I would not be using it unitl spring 2009. It will be stored in an unheated garage where temperature can go below freezing. Should I drain the engine oil or can I just leave it? How about the battery?
Do not drain either oil. If you have several hundred miles on the oil, you might put in new. My scooter is in storage but I only have 250 miles on the engine and tranny oil, so I will change it sometime in bext Spring. The battery can be left hooked up in the scooter or kept in the house, but it will need a battery charger hooked up to it. Scooter batteries discharge quite easily. Never store a battery of any kind on a cement floor. It will make a ground and will drain the battery. The Deltron Battery Tender Jr is especially made for scooter batteries. You can hook it up to the battery and forget it. It will keep the battery at full charge but won't over charge, it has an automatic float function.
tom

Stockton-on-tees, UK

#11 Dec 27, 2008
the battery on my 50cc scooter doe's not charge up . can anyone tell me what the prblem is , and how to solve it . thanks
Robert

Rock Island, IL

#12 Dec 27, 2008
More information needed. When you say it won't charge, do you mean the scooter will not charge it when running or the battery charger won't charge it. If it's Chinese, their batteries are junk. It may just be a gone battery. Could be the cells are dry. Could be a loose connection or not connected properly. Or could be an alternator problem with the scooter.
tom

Stockton-on-tees, UK

#13 Dec 29, 2008
the battery is new, and has only lasted a few weeks . now flat , so its not charging when running. don't know where the alternator is on these, any help would be a great help.
Steve

Greenville, NC

#15 Feb 23, 2009
I have a brand new 2008 Jonway 50cc scoote. It starts but as soon as you give it any gas it cuts off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Has a full tank of gas and new battery. I dont know where to start.
Robert

Rock Island, IL

#16 Feb 23, 2009
The problem is in your fuel system. A battery only starts the scooter after that you can run without one.
stephen

Haverhill, MA

#17 Mar 13, 2009
Steve wrote:
I have a brand new 2008 Jonway 50cc scoote. It starts but as soon as you give it any gas it cuts off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Has a full tank of gas and new battery. I dont know where to start.
steve, i have had the same problem, i have an '08' NST shenke chinese 50cc scooter. the problem is your spark plug. the spark plugs arent really the greatest and only last for about 2-3 months or so..depending on how far you travel. change out your plug and you should be all set. any more questions, feel free to ask. you can email at ironman050284@yahoo.com good luck
stephen

Haverhill, MA

#18 Mar 13, 2009
steve, i have had the same problem, i have an '08' NST shenke chinese 50cc scooter. the problem is your spark plug. the spark plugs arent really the greatest and only last for about 2-3 months or so..depending on how far you travel. change out your plug and you should be all set. any more questions, feel free to ask. you can email at ironman050284@yahoo.com good luck
Enviromoto

Decatur, IL

#19 Mar 13, 2009
Most of your problems are due to the factory and their poor quality control. You see most of these scooters come from the factory with improper valve lash. Meaning if the space between the valve and the rocker arm is not set properly the valve will not seal causing you to have a low compression issue.

Your stator is fairly easy to replace and I have the parts and tool in stock to get the job done.

Please contact me for more info www.Enviromoto.com

If you would like to know more about valve adjustments or any other super cool scooter tips check us out.

www.AntisocialSC.com
jigg

Baltimore, MD

#20 Mar 23, 2009
my 50cc scooter has no lights and the tachometer stopped also . not really mechanical but if something simple i would like to do myself

Since: Mar 09

AOL

#21 Mar 25, 2009
Hi, I recently bought a JONWAY electric scooter which had some of the wires taken off by the previous owner, The scooter is almost new showing only 2 hours on the meter, my problem is I cannot find a wiring diagram for this scooter, I would greatly appreciate any help on locating a wiring diagram that would help me put the wires back in place, the scooter has 4 batteries a circuit breaker under the seat along with 2 small boxes 1 I think is the charger and the other is the controller, all I need is the wiring diagram showing how to hook up the batteries and controller and charger, You can email me at MLK52@AOL.COM....Thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scooters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
50cc Sunny Gas Motor Scooter Trouble (Jun '09) Thu attillas treasures 125
Roketa MC-D79 250 CC will not start Sep 14 Jim0908 1
Chinese scooter, good? or no? (Oct '08) Sep 11 paul 91
Problem with a motobravo 150cc milano Scooter H... (Jun '08) Sep 5 dominican 82
gas leaking into crankase Sep 2 fiatot 1
Electric starter only works intermittently/some... (Aug '13) Aug 31 Mackay636 12
2007 Yamaha C3 scooter (Aug '06) Aug 28 Gabe 708
•••

Scooters People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••