What is the best scooter for Under $1...

What is the best scooter for Under $1,500

Posted in the Scooters Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
SunFun

Burnside, KY

#1 Sep 13, 2008
Please give me your thoughts
Robert

United States

#2 Sep 13, 2008
Very difficult to give a response to your question when we don't know what size scooter you are looking for. There are a lot of Chinese scooters under $1500, but buyer beware.
SunFun

Burnside, KY

#3 Sep 13, 2008
150 cc hopefully

“Vesparazzi Scooter Club”

Since: Jul 07

Covington, LA

#4 Sep 14, 2008
The key is customer service without it you are just out of luck. Check each dealer and be sure they serice it and give a warranty. I own Vespa, Honda, and Yamaha, as long as there is good service all are good and each has a different style, and feel. Pick the one that fits you best. Some brands look too alien for my taste.
Robert

United States

#5 Sep 14, 2008
If you can buy a new 150cc scooter for under $1500, better run like the wind. Chinese Junk.
Mike

Covina, CA

#6 Sep 17, 2008
I'm checking out the internet for 150cc Chinese scooters. Many brands such as Roketa, SUNL, Eagle, Velocity, Tank, Znen, Lance and others look similar. Are they made by the same manufactuer and just have different brand names, or is their a difference. My brother-in law bought a Chinese scooter from someone on Craigs list about a month ago, rides it daily, and has had no problems. He does not know the brand and I can't check it out as he is several thousand miles away. From pictures it looks like one of the brands mentioned above. I've seen some bad comments about the SUNL's, but not sure of the others.
Danny

Wayland, MA

#7 Sep 18, 2008
Not all Chinese Scooters are junk!
Nor are they the same.
There are over 50 factories in China manufacturing motorcycle & scooter parts. Different groups form to order specific speculation vehicles from those companies.
Harley Davidson, Piaggio and yes Vespa all have many of their parts manufactured in these companies.
If you are a Scooter supplier in the United States ie Manufacturer. You can order a scooter model with your name on it to your specs. The Chinese companies are very capable of making a great product but you have to ask for it.
The problem is most American companies are greedy and only see the bottom line in dollars. see Sunl and Roketta.
Since there are only a couple of dozen body styles to choose from when ordering your 5-10 containers a year, you will see many scooters that look identical with the exception of graphics. Believe me they are not. You can choose the quality of many many engine, drive train and electrical parts when having your particular model built. It will cost you more but you get what you pay for.
There are companies like FLYSCOOTERS in CA. who have approached these factories with their own higher standard specifications and is selling a good quality dependable scooter. There are others that I can't recall at the moment.
Being Chinese you might still have to deal with some fit and finish issues but overall you will have a scoot that should last for years trouble free.
Scott

Panama City, FL

#9 Sep 18, 2008
Actually, Donnie doesn't sell anything. Please refer to the thread titled 'ABC Powersports a scam' and see how dishonest he is.
Mike

Covina, CA

#10 Sep 18, 2008
Thanks for the information, that explains why so many brands looked the same to me. I'll check out FLYSCOOTERS. If anyone has other reliable recommendations for 150CC scooters that EPA Ok for CA, please send a comment.
Robert

United States

#11 Sep 19, 2008
One correction to Danny's post. There are over 200 total factories in China making scooters and parts for scooters. Some are quality Mfgrs, some a junk Mfgrs. The problem is, you don't know where your scooter was made when you buy from an on-line distributor, and these sellers are not Dealers, they sell only and do not service, support, or repair what they sell. Some Chinese Mfgrs have Dealers in the U.S. - Motofino is one, but they are few and far between. You buy a Chinese scooter off the internet, you deserve what you get.

“Freedom Isnt Fair :(”

Since: Sep 08

Columbus OH

#12 Sep 25, 2008
I guess that explains why I saw the “same” scooter for $700 to $1700 online! I got a Lance from a local dealer. Are there any maintenance manuals for these scooters?
Big Don

Pinola, MS

#13 Sep 26, 2008
Mike wrote:
I'm checking out the internet for 150cc Chinese scooters. Many brands such as Roketa, SUNL, Eagle, Velocity, Tank, Znen, Lance and others look similar. Are they made by the same manufactuer and just have different brand names, or is their a difference. My brother-in law bought a Chinese scooter from someone on Craigs list about a month ago, rides it daily, and has had no problems. He does not know the brand and I can't check it out as he is several thousand miles away. From pictures it looks like one of the brands mentioned above. I've seen some bad comments about the SUNL's, but not sure of the others.
Under $1500? Sunl 150cc #26 touring scooter is a good runner. However not for a long run, or high speed. Anything under 250cc are considered kids toys or city bikes. Spend another $500 or $700 and buy a real scooter. 250cc water cooled and fast, comfortable, speed rated/run flat tires. Nice for long runs and will run at 65mph all day. 70mpg also, plus they get more looks.
Big Don

Pinola, MS

#15 Sep 26, 2008
wcurtin1962 wrote:
I guess that explains why I saw the “same” scooter for $700 to $1700 online! I got a Lance from a local dealer. Are there any maintenance manuals for these scooters?
Yes! Try asking Sunl for the repair manual, he-he-he, cause they are the same machine. Your local dealer should have them, right?
All kidding aside-- Haynes has a manual for scooters on line.
Andar Distancia

Allentown, PA

#16 Jan 31, 2009
wcurtin1962 wrote:
You should have rec'd one when you bought you new Lance.
I didn't get one, guess it was stolen while on the showroom floor.

The dealer sent away and got one for me.
Capt Don

AOL

#17 Jan 31, 2009
I got an NST 150-02 Touring delivered for $1300. It has been a blast!! Just change the oil every 300 mi & gear @ 1000 & thats it so far. OH yeah - the batterys arent worth shit so plan on a new one after 3-4 mo. Got mine from a dist in Cali (dont know if I can mention who?, but they have sent me anything I needed asap, & even called to see how all was going! They got my vote. Ill mention their name since I have no affiliation & they have a good name in the bussiness.
Scooter Dynasty . Vince is the owner or nella is assistant. Too many ripoff people out there!
Not them!! Delivered to my garage door in 4 days!!
Andar Distancia

Allentown, PA

#18 Feb 1, 2009
Capt Don wrote:
I got an NST 150-02 Touring delivered for $1300. It has been a blast!! Just change the oil every 300 mi & gear @ 1000 & thats it so far. OH yeah - the batterys arent worth shit so plan on a new one after 3-4 mo. Got mine from a dist in Cali (dont know if I can mention who?, but they have sent me anything I needed asap, & even called to see how all was going! They got my vote. Ill mention their name since I have no affiliation & they have a good name in the bussiness.
Scooter Dynasty . Vince is the owner or nella is assistant. Too many ripoff people out there!
Not them!! Delivered to my garage door in 4 days!!
That's one way to go Don.
I like going to my local dealer, I let him do whatever needs done and it's not expensive.
He always has 12-15 in the showroom all ready to go.

They charged my 195.oo for dealer prep so if someone isn't as handy as you are with a wrench that's another way to go.

Something interesting I just found on the website www.psp.state.pa.us website stated..........
"any scooter,regardless of engine size, must be registered, insured and driver properly licensed".

Can't find anywhere what the fine in Pa is for NOT having a MC endorsement but in CT. your fine is anywhere from 30 days to 365 days in prison.
No cash fine just jail time.....interesting.
Andar Distancia

Allentown, PA

#19 Feb 1, 2009
Found it. Fine is $ 200.oo for riding on property other than what property you own yourself.

Jail time is possible.
Crunchy

Seymour, IN

#20 Feb 1, 2009
Andar Distancia,

Be cautious about Chinese scooters. PennDOT recently (late 2008) delayed, and in numerous cases apparently refused, to register Chinese-manufactured scooters.

See the following links:

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews/Breaking...

http://thescooterscoop.blogspot.com/2008/11/p...

http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sh...

Let me add a personal note as well. I would not trust my life to the cheapest category of scooters. Manufacturer responsibility for the safety of vehicles is essential for trusting the mechanical and structural integrity of any such product. Unless the _manufacturer_ of your scooter has a significant corporate presence in this country, you are going to be unable to pursue any legal recourse in the event your scooter is defective. In other words, if the front wheel falls off and you nosedive into I-95 at 50 MPH, good luck to you.
Andar Distancia

Allentown, PA

#21 Feb 1, 2009
Crunchy wrote:
Andar Distancia,
Be cautious about Chinese scooters. PennDOT recently (late 2008) delayed, and in numerous cases apparently refused, to register Chinese-manufactured scooters.
See the following links:
http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews/Breaking...
http://thescooterscoop.blogspot.com/2008/11/p...
http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sh...
Let me add a personal note as well. I would not trust my life to the cheapest category of scooters. Manufacturer responsibility for the safety of vehicles is essential for trusting the mechanical and structural integrity of any such product. Unless the _manufacturer_ of your scooter has a significant corporate presence in this country, you are going to be unable to pursue any legal recourse in the event your scooter is defective. In other words, if the front wheel falls off and you nosedive into I-95 at 50 MPH, good luck to you.
I remember that. My dealer had refused a large shipment in mid-late summer.
They were identified by their V.I.N.'s .I'm good.
He has a new supply in his showroom now.

I have a Lance Vintage and the only trouble I had was with the throttle when it was new.

Took it back and in 30-40 minutes was on the road again.
Bradley

Kaneohe, HI

#22 Feb 18, 2009
hey guys.. I am looking for my first scooter and am thinking about the flyscooter il bello... is this a good scooter?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scooters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roketa Bali 250cc scooter (Sep '09) 13 hr Xela2662 18
125CC Lexmoto Tommy Problems Battery Related? (Dec '11) Fri Aiden Asquith 19
Fair price for 2005 Yamaha Zuma 50 (Jul '10) Sep 22 Freddie 11
scooter not getting gas (Oct '11) Sep 21 Jerryyyy 27
cranks but wont start (Jul '10) Sep 17 Yucky 116
Maintenance on Jonway Chinese 50cc scooter (Oct '08) Sep 15 leeds Boi 85 225
No spark on 50cc Chinese moped Sep 15 Mike Church 1
More from around the web