BMW owner thinking od a Guzzi
mkmd555

Merchantville, NJ

#1 Aug 16, 2008
Hello all:
I have been riding BMW oilheads and Airheads. They are wonderful bikes ,which are reliable and have great handling.
On the other hand, I have always admired the design of a Guzzi and its V engine.
Can some one tell me if Guzzis are suprerior to beemers, I mean not in terms of 'Thrills''soul' or subjective notions, but in terms of quality and engineering.
Best regards
M K
dirtrider

Wayne, PA

#2 Sep 17, 2008
I have had two in my 25 odd years of riding. One is a 1970 Ambassador 750 (I has been in the family since 1973 still have and ride it, never did any engine or trans work, I did replace fork seals and a ring gear due to a broken tooth) and the other is a 2008 Norge (so far so good!!). I have had many other bikes in between. Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, they all have their + & - it just depnds on what works for you. As a good friend of mine put it just before I bought the Norge "Pick a bike that ignites your passion. The rest can be fixed with an accessory catalog :-)
"
Chris

Bolzano, Italy

#3 Sep 19, 2008
I talked to an engineer the other day that work's on repairing defects for both BMW and Moto Guzzi, in his opinion there is the good and the bad in both, though he said that the Moto Guzzi engine is far superior to the one from BMW, he also told me that the BMW engine is made in Thailand while the Guzzi in Italy. As far as Europe goes, the transmission is pretty much the same design and assembled by the same company in Germany..

On the pratical side, I own 3 guzzi's and none of them have ever had major problems.., I also have friends that own BMW's and they have never had major problems either..(I like the way guzzi's look, and ride.. I think it's the passion that makes you choose 1 bike over another)... so I think you should just try and immagine youself on 1 or another and then make your choice.
Stuart Garfath

Australia

#4 Sep 29, 2008
That's 'the thing'. Moto Guzzi IS Italian.
Heart. Soul. Ancestry. That's all.
max cooper

Wellington, OH

#5 Nov 12, 2008
Just purchased a left over 2007 Breva. 1st road bike and 1st twin. Only dual sports until now. I am short armed and would like to install bar risers. I can't find any for the Breva on the internet. Hard to find after market wind shields as well. Love the bike in every way. Just need to tailor it to my bod . Any info would be most appreciated. Max
wynn collins

Brewerton, NY

#6 Mar 2, 2009
max cooper wrote:
Just purchased a left over 2007 Breva. 1st road bike and 1st twin. Only dual sports until now. I am short armed and would like to install bar risers. I can't find any for the Breva on the internet. Hard to find after market wind shields as well. Love the bike in every way. Just need to tailor it to my bod . Any info would be most appreciated. Max
try monacos cycle in PA.Can get number by going to dealers on moto guzzi north america sight he has ot cam make most anything
Doug

Renton, WA

#7 Mar 7, 2009
Chris wrote:
I talked to an engineer the other day that work's on repairing defects for both BMW and Moto Guzzi, in his opinion there is the good and the bad in both, though he said that the Moto Guzzi engine is far superior to the one from BMW, he also told me that the BMW engine is made in Thailand while the Guzzi in Italy. As far as Europe goes, the transmission is pretty much the same design and assembled by the same company in Germany..
On the pratical side, I own 3 guzzi's and none of them have ever had major problems.., I also have friends that own BMW's and they have never had major problems either..(I like the way guzzi's look, and ride.. I think it's the passion that makes you choose 1 bike over another)... so I think you should just try and immaginyou said bmw engine made in Thailand. a 650 made in China a 450 made in Korea i know about are you saying 1150 and 1200 engines made in Tha iland ?e youself on 1 or another and then make your choice.
a 650 made in China a 450 made in Korea i know about are you saying 1150 and 1200 engines made in Thailand ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moto Guzzi Motorcycle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Floating disc on v7 racer Nov '17 Guzziguts 1
2005 mz moskito Aug '17 mickeymiller 1
v50/v65 (Jul '17) Jul '17 misterswizzo 1
Poll Would you buy a Moto Guzzi over a BMW? (Nov '07) Mar '17 Steven Hanna 31
2002 MZ Moskito Scooter (Jun '06) Feb '17 Marty 198
850 t 3 1976 (Jan '15) Jan '15 French Ian 1
jzr (May '13) May '13 Chris Rist 1
More from around the web