Scooters may steal the show

Scooters may steal the show

There are 6 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Dec 5, 2008, titled Scooters may steal the show. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

The 28th annual International Motorcycle Show, rolling into the Long Beach Convention Center today, caters to the crowd that wants its bikes bigger, better and faster.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

glenn

New Orleans, LA

#1 Dec 5, 2008
Well at least the scooter crowd won't get on I95 and block traffic doing stunts. Of course, that means less chance for me to see an interesting accident but I can live with that.
Jake

AOL

#2 Dec 7, 2008
I just hope the moto industry don't go the way of the auto industry by putting their emphasis on huge, monstrous displacement bikes that gives comparable mpg to the Escalade.

Fuel economy has to be the dominant theme and that would mean a higher concentration of motos at the midrange of 650cc or under. Very few people buy bikes to travel 500 miles at one sitting.
Robert

Rock Island, IL

#3 Dec 7, 2008
Saving money on gas using a Scooter is somewhat mythical. I once saw a link where you could calculate how long a scooter would pay for itself and start saving money. Where I live, the riding season is 6 months if lucky. There are a lot of factors to consider, too many to list. But if I remember correctly it will take me 3.5 yrs to start saving money on gas. And that was when gas was close to $4.00/gal. Now its $2.00/gal so that time is going to increase. Buying a scooter to save money is not a good reason. Buy it to ride and enjoy.
Yea BiGgiEs

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

#4 Dec 7, 2008
Robert wrote:
Saving money on gas using a Scooter is somewhat mythical. I once saw a link where you could calculate how long a scooter would pay for itself and start saving money. Where I live, the riding season is 6 months if lucky. There are a lot of factors to consider, too many to list. But if I remember correctly it will take me 3.5 yrs to start saving money on gas. And that was when gas was close to $4.00/gal. Now its $2.00/gal so that time is going to increase. Buying a scooter to save money is not a good reason. Buy it to ride and enjoy.
Granted theres the cost of the scooter. Putting the cost of the scooter aside, my scooter gets 3X more miles per gallon than my car does. My 6cyl Honda Accord gets between 20-23mpg and scooter gets 60-70mpg. Not ot mention the miles are going on the scooter thus keeping the value on my car longer. As we all know, high miles takes away a cars value. SO your arguement here is if hte money for the cost of the scooter was just put in the gas tank for my car it would take several years before you begin to save? I guess that would depend on the cost of the scooter. That is the variable. However it is always nice to have an option.
Robert

Rock Island, IL

#5 Dec 7, 2008
As I stated: "There are a lot of factors to consider"
It depends on the cost of the scooter
It depends on where you live - riding time
It depends on how much your scooter is down
It depends on how much time you can replace a car or truck with a scooter
It depends on insurance, license plates, registration. Some States require it some do not
It depends on the cost of gas.
Not every scooter owner lives in Florida.
Capt Don

AOL

#6 Dec 7, 2008
My scoot has already paid for itself! Since I use it for everything- less miles on truck= less ins. No ins on the scoot=. I was able to sell my Nissan truck (low miles ) & replace it w/ an F-150 w/ goes nowhere much & got $$ & the 150 for it. Scoot is a "Ride it till it doesnt" now. I ride this thing HARD! I think it runs better because of that? I change the oil every 250 mi reg! Will probably do it more come summer? Dont forget the fun factor!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kawasaki Motorcycle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Furion Motorcycle's Awesome Hybrid Rotary Concept May '17 Solarman 1
News Destination Austin: The Handbuilt Motorcycle Show May '17 Hand Phart 1
News 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager/Nomad Review (Jun '09) Feb '17 Odie tresner 39
News First Ride Review: 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650 Jan '17 Trackster 1
1986 Kawasaki ZL600 Eliminator seat removal. (Jun '15) May '16 KAWKIDD 2
ER6-f front fork springs (Jun '07) Nov '15 Rob 8
Kawasaki ZL600 Eliminator stalling out at mid t... (Feb '09) Apr '15 losteroni 16
More from around the web