Honda's quarterly profit falls on strong yen | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 20 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jan 31, 2011, titled Honda's quarterly profit falls on strong yen | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Honda reported a nearly 40 percent drop in quarterly profit, hit by a strong yen and fading sales in Japan but raised its full-year earnings forecast, crediting cost cuts.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

james

Columbus, OH

#1 Jan 31, 2011
as much as i hate to see any company lose money im not losing sleep over a honda.

i have always drove american made cars and trucks, i currently have 425,000 on my GM truck. have had 3 and all of them have had over 300,000 miles and going strong.

our company trucks haul dozers, bobcats and all kinds of heavy equipment and materials, they are even gas engines, one ford and quite a few chevys/gmc trucks all have over 400,000 too. no engine changes, no transmission. so far just brakes, an alternator or 2, tires and maint.

dont know why americans complain about quality, i think its all how you care for your vehicle. i prefer to buy american .

like the old saying, tired, hungry, out of work? eat your import.
Proud American

Bellevue, OH

#2 Jan 31, 2011
I could'nt AGREE more James !!
Daniel

Marysville, OH

#4 Jan 31, 2011
Good news though, Honda may then employ more American workers, unless the UAW gets its way...

Since: Dec 10

Columbus, OH

#5 Jan 31, 2011
"Nuts" and "Clueless" sounds about right. I mean, what does that Honda plant in Marysville do? Just sit there? Oh wait, that plant builds cars..in America, Ohio no less.

Oh yeah, all of those plants in America from companies such as Honda, Toyota, Hyundai has many employees...mainly American employees.

Screw the "imports", close all those factories and dealerships. America and your fellow Americans doesn't need those jobs, right?

Being a Proud American does not mean one has to be a complete moron as well.
Nutjob

Glendale, CA

#6 Jan 31, 2011
The problem is not that the Yen is getting stronger (although it is, slightly). It's that the dollar is getting massively weaker. It's dropping against every major currency. The U.S. dollar is now worth less than both the Canadian and Australian dollars. Since Honda does the majority of its sales in the U.S., and those sales are done in dollars, the actual money they're taking home is worth far less than it should be.
Used to Love Honda

Columbus, OH

#8 Jan 31, 2011
Honda's line up is now lackluster and out-of-date. They've thrown R&D at tenuous ideas like fuel cell powered vehicles while their gasoline engines are now falling behind many competitors (even the Ford/GM/Chrysler have more advanced gasoline Turbo/direct injection/variable valve timing engines).
Honda's bread & butter cars, the Accord & Civic, look out-of-date compared to hyundai/chrysler/gm/ford, and the cross-tour is too awful to even describe.
Get with it Honda - your suffering from a lack of focus!
Seats all the way back

Watseka, IL

#9 Jan 31, 2011
Looks like a yen is pulling Honda's yang.

I usually have to pay good money on a Saturday night for that.
Your Allah is so cute

Erie, PA

#10 Jan 31, 2011
One Fly White Guy wrote:
"Nuts" and "Clueless" sounds about right. I mean, what does that Honda plant in Marysville do? Just sit there? Oh wait, that plant builds cars..in America, Ohio no less.
Oh yeah, all of those plants in America from companies such as Honda, Toyota, Hyundai has many employees...mainly American employees.
Screw the "imports", close all those factories and dealerships. America and your fellow Americans doesn't need those jobs, right?
Your the moron. It's great the Japanese and Koreans employ Americans. They should, we buy more of their cars then they do. They get uge tax breaks and free land, why not? My point was don't diss some guys because they will only buy from American based companies.
American Idiot

Erie, PA

#11 Jan 31, 2011
Used to Love Honda wrote:
Honda's line up is now lackluster and out-of-date. They've thrown R&D at tenuous ideas like fuel cell powered vehicles while their gasoline engines are now falling behind many competitors (even the Ford/GM/Chrysler have more advanced gasoline Turbo/direct injection/variable valve timing engines).
Honda's bread & butter cars, the Accord & Civic, look out-of-date compared to hyundai/chrysler/gm/ford, and the cross-tour is too awful to even describe.
You live in "Honda country" Central Ohio. Many would still buy even if Honda made an Accord out of a bag of dirt and a skateboard. Which would still be better to look at then say an Maroon Accord or a Silver Ridgeline. Honda lost their design way 10 years ago.
Dirk

Columbus, OH

#12 Jan 31, 2011
Your Allah is so cute wrote:
<quoted text>
Your the moron. It's great the Japanese and Koreans employ Americans. They should, we buy more of their cars then they do. They get uge tax breaks and free land, why not? My point was don't diss some guys because they will only buy from American based companies.
LMAO @ the irony

"Your" the moron
Daniel

Marysville, OH

#13 Jan 31, 2011
Looking at the posting history, no one was bashing Americans or American auto makers. Then I saw "Your Allah is so cute"'s comments, that explains it...another delusional guy with xenophobia.
liner

Hicksville, NY

#14 Jan 31, 2011
james wrote:
as much as i hate to see any company lose money im not losing sleep over a honda.
i have always drove american made cars and trucks, i currently have 425,000 on my GM truck. have had 3 and all of them have had over 300,000 miles and going strong.
our company trucks haul dozers, bobcats and all kinds of heavy equipment and materials, they are even gas engines, one ford and quite a few chevys/gmc trucks all have over 400,000 too. no engine changes, no transmission. so far just brakes, an alternator or 2, tires and maint.
dont know why americans complain about quality, i think its all how you care for your vehicle. i prefer to buy american .
like the old saying, tired, hungry, out of work? eat your import.
That's fine James, but suppose I'm you and I want to do what you do(haul dozers etc) and I want to buy Japanese......what would I buy?
Who Cares

New Albany, OH

#15 Jan 31, 2011
Used to Love Honda wrote:
If you want a car that is reliable and able to lasts for 20 years then buy a Honda. If you want a car that initially has a good looking exterior that breaks down a lot then get an American car.
liner

Hicksville, NY

#16 Jan 31, 2011
Who Cares wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want a car that is reliable and able to lasts for 20 years then buy a Honda. If you want a car that initially has a good looking exterior that breaks down a lot then get an American car.
By all accounts that's not necessarily true any more. But then again, time will tell.
Old time sing along

Watseka, IL

#17 Jan 31, 2011
Bring back Pontiac..bring back Oldsmobile..bring

back my Bonnie to me..to me...oh bring back..bring

back..bring back my admended tax returns to me to

me.

Mitch Miller
Ace

Marysville, OH

#18 Jan 31, 2011
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
That's fine James, but suppose I'm you and I want to do what you do(haul dozers etc) and I want to buy Japanese......what would I buy?
Well, you could have come started with a V8 Toyota Tundra, which was supposed to be the Japanese big truck. Oh waitaminute..... never mind, the frames are falling apart. Move on, there is nothing here.
US Junk

Columbus, OH

#19 Jan 31, 2011
I'll never buy another American "brand" car. My Camry is 11 years old, has nearly 200,000 miles on it and all it's ever needed has been new tires and headlights.

I have several friends and co-workers with GM's, Ford's, etc and they have problem after problem.

Toyota's, Honda's, etc have such superior parts and build quality over American car makers.

Since: Dec 10

Columbus, OH

#20 Jan 31, 2011
I miss my 1986 Accord Hatchback - a very practical vehicle and you can fit a couch in the back. How about the CRX SI and the Del Sol? Retro is good.
DROPS - Another Rip Off

West Chester, OH

#21 Feb 1, 2011
One Fly White Guy wrote:
Yo homey. A decade ago the # 1 employer in Ohio was GM. The sole purpose of Honda, Toyota and Korean brands are to convert dollars to yen and won.

A few token plants that submarines the entire US manufacturing base causes more harm than you can imagine. Today the #1 employer is Wal-Mart - Now go build your economy on a Wal-Mart wage.
liner

Hicksville, NY

#22 Feb 1, 2011
DROPS - Another Rip Off wrote:
<quoted text>
Yo homey. A decade ago the # 1 employer in Ohio was GM. The sole purpose of Honda, Toyota and Korean brands are to convert dollars to yen and won.
A few token plants that submarines the entire US manufacturing base causes more harm than you can imagine. Today the #1 employer is Wal-Mart - Now go build your economy on a Wal-Mart wage.
The world has changed, for better or worse. Time to move on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honda Motorcycle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Difference between CBR 125 : R, RR and RW (Jan '08) Apr 28 Boysie 13
Uncomfortable 06 Civic Headrests (Jul '06) Apr 16 Ivanovich 13
1995 Honda Magna VF750 (Mar '08) Mar '15 mike 22
How STUPID was Honda to move Motorcycle Product... (Oct '09) Jan '15 Ron west 26
News Will the Next Honda Gold Wing be a Hybrid? (May '11) Jan '15 steve b 16
News Honda unveils new CB Unicorn 160 Dec '14 Gerald Vonberger 1
News Honda builds its 300 millionth motorcycle Dec '14 SHlTWORMDAEGUDEBD... 9
More from around the web