How STUPID was Honda to move Motorcyc...
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Millard

Youngstown, OH

#21 May 3, 2012
If you own a 03 and its doing a good job just keep on riding..I had a 96 1500
Goldwing and a VTX1300R and just bought a '2012 model in October.I have
6400 miles on it and I love it. I've ridden Hondas for around 40 years and I
keep on buying them.I've owned a Harley,Kawasakis,Suzukis,and yamahas and
they are all good bikes but you just can't beat a honda...So Ronald good luck on what ever decision you make. Be safe and keep on riding.
dot com

Trussville, AL

#22 May 6, 2012
If Honda does not stay up to high standards with the finest touring bike in the world, it would be like Mercedes not building an S class anymore.

The Goldwing is without a doubt the best touring bike built today, but once I decide to buy a new one, I may have to go to BMW or Harley if the prices don't drop.
Jon

Salt Lake City, UT

#23 Jul 22, 2012
I would think if you rode bikes at all, you would know your old CB750 was an entirely different engine, not the VTWIN they are using for today, while I dont agree with them going to the VTWIN, they do so because of styling, but they made theres a different kind of VTWIN, they are better and faster and more reliable than the Harleys version of the original VTWIN design, these are facts.
Personally, I would prefer the old style engines, faster, more fuel efficient. But given any cruiser choice in USA, Honda's very dependable and good for the money
Classic Rider wrote:
<quoted text>In 1946 Honda's plant had been destroyed in the war. Honda got restarted buying used generator motors and adding them to bicycles to fill a need for people to be able to travel to town to buy food and other items. In the early 1950s Honda mortgaged everything he had and went into a HUGE amount of debt buying USA and European FACTORY equipment.
In 1969 when the Honda CB750 was introduced at a price of $1595, the competitive (not really) motorcycles were retailing at $2400 and more. The UK makers complained that they couldn't even MAKE a 750cc four cylinder (not counting the fact that what they did make was underpowered, leaky, and unreliable, like US made machines) for what Honda was selling the 750 for.
Sending Gold Wing production to Japan is cheaper and more cost effective than trying to survive in the USA, which has become costly. So the Marysville plant was put to a use that was cost effective. Honda sells over 12 million motorcycles a year. I don't see that the handful they sell in the USA is very important to them.
For another thing.. Honda makes NOTHING that I would consider buying. Their lack of high tech products of a style that I care about has made me a BMW customer. So I'm not going to miss them a bit.
I'm still a high performance rider. My 1980 Honda CB750F blows the doors off Honda's cruisers. I don't ride sport machines, so the closest thing to what I like now is a BMW K1300.
I've also stopped selling Honda automobiles and buying them. Now I buy German cars. If Honda made a CB750, I'd buy it. But they don't.
Their 30 year old machines can outperform their newest two cylinder cheapos, and cost a fraction of the price used.
George

Pawtucket, RI

#24 Jul 29, 2012
Honda still makes a great sportbike.

RideCBR Honda CBR Forum - http://www.ridecbr.com
George

Tallahassee, FL

#25 May 25, 2014
Steve I agree with you I own a 1981 Honda goldwing with 22000 miles on it and a 2000 Harley softail and the goldwings are known to go 300000 miles plus you can't say that for the harley
Ron west

Greensburg, KY

#26 Jan 17, 2015
Most of us that own and ride Honda motorcycles really don't have the correct information to make an intelligent comment reference the reasons. More than likely it has a lot to do with money. Maybe Honda fears that America's dollar is going to be worthless in the near future. Maybe it has to do with Unions or the threat of unions. It could be many reasons. We need more information before we try to judge. We need to hear from both sides. That would be a big help. Thank Ron west

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honda Motorcycle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
vtx 1800 uneven tire where Jun 28 grumpy gm 1
Honda VTX 1300 vs VTX 1800 (Jan '08) Jun '17 X Rider 191
1983 Goldwing with deadly wobble May '17 Red Lion 2
News A Review of the Yamaha Royal Star Venture Motor... (Jun '08) May '17 Lowbee38 51
5 hole head for a 125 dirtbike Apr '17 Butch 1
1995 Honda Magna Deluxe --- Idle issues Apr '17 Gary C 1
Honda 500s Best beginner bikes Apr '17 OTR ADV 2
More from around the web