Taking control: Women riders shun 'bi...

Taking control: Women riders shun 'biker chick' label

There are 5 comments on the Globe and Mail story from Dec 16, 2011, titled Taking control: Women riders shun 'biker chick' label. In it, Globe and Mail reports that:

When Madeleine Marques was 12, she and her parents were making a pit-stop at a gas station on the way back from a family trip to Florida.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Globe and Mail.

Fed Up Woman Moto-Expert

Whitby, Canada

#1 Dec 22, 2011
This article and its entire foundation is simply a repeat of so many hundreds of others. It's all been said and done before. We don't move forward in the industry because very few women actually, really are knowledgable about motorcycling. And Janssen's book well, she has simply copied others before her telling the same stories. Baby boomers are so yesterday! This article is the same ole, same ole, take if from an expert! Author needs to do her homework! Blind leading the blind here. Rubbish!

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#2 Dec 23, 2011
Well, it is only within the last decade that the amount of couples each riding their own bike has been very noticable, at least to me.

For us babyboomers, a 'biker chick' was virtually always on the back seat.
Relatively speaking, there has been a huge change.
I do not see how that can be denied.
Speaking in absolutes, you are correct, mostly it is the guys holding the handlebars.

I didn't read the book, not capable of disagreeing with what you say about that.
OOTA

Pleasant Hill, MO

#3 Dec 26, 2011
Fed Up Woman Moto-Expert wrote:
This article and its entire foundation is simply a repeat of so many hundreds of others. It's all been said and done before. We don't move forward in the industry because very few women actually, really are knowledgable about motorcycling. And Janssen's book well, she has simply copied others before her telling the same stories. Baby boomers are so yesterday! This article is the same ole, same ole, take if from an expert! Author needs to do her homework! Blind leading the blind here. Rubbish!
So you think that baby boomers are "so yesterday." Every generation thinks that the generation(s) that go before them are worthless. Well, I've got news for you, smartass, because this baby boomer has accomplished more than you will ever dream of adding to your pitiful bucket list. I rode dirt bikes for years as a youngster, and I did the maintenance and repairs on all my bikes. I trained horses for twenty-five years, and I successfully trained horses that put big rodeo cowboys in the hospital. I showed horses to championships, owned and drove my own Corvette for years, and now have my own Harley and ride it everywhere.

I'm a sixty-two year old woman who has been told many times that I look 35. I am a baby boomer because that's the time on earth that I've been assigned. You, on the other hand, have apparently not figured this whole thing out. You may be younger now, but time will pass by very quickly. Blink, and you will be old. Remember this post, and take note of how you feel when the younger folks dismiss you as a sixty-something has-been. We are young and smart-mouthed for a short time, then suddenly, we are old and supposedly stupid. You may think that all baby boomers are "so yesterday," but I'm guessing that you will have to have balls of steel to accomplish what I have in my lifetime.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#4 Dec 27, 2011
Wish I were single and lived in Jefferson City.
I've got the 62 years old part.
One out of three won't cut it in this case.

Triumph rider myself. Had a Harley once upon a time.
I didn't do the dirt bikes, but I did start street riding at age 17.

As they say, youth is wasted on the young.

Shiny side up.
Anonymous

La Habra, CA

#5 Dec 29, 2011
OOTA wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a sixty-two year old woman who has been told many times that I look 35.
Yeah, sure you do! You're old, but not wise enough to know that many people say such things just to make you feel good.

As for "women riders", I laugh every time I read or hear about the subject. Most "women riders" I see are 150 lbs plus and are hardly frail, little things. So it's no wonder they can ride as well as many men.

Not knocking them. Great to have them on the road with us. Just saying it's no big deal that they ride.

Be safe out there!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harley-Davidson Street Glide Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
battery going dead (Apr '15) Apr '15 David 1
2015 street glides (Aug '14) Aug '14 Ralph 1
News Top-Selling Motorcycles in US in 2013: Harley-D... (Apr '14) Apr '14 SteveB 1
Exhaust (Feb '14) Feb '14 Jason behrendsen 1
News Mr. Vinh - Vietnam's Motorbike King (Dec '13) Dec '13 Duong Wa 2
chrome Harley Davidson windshield trim fit (Apr '13) Apr '13 Cindy Swain 1
Check out these Insane Harley windshields (May '12) Feb '13 Julie 29
More from around the web