Reality vs reputation

Reality vs reputation

There are 3 comments on the Telegraph.co.uk story from Apr 21, 2006, titled Reality vs reputation. In it, Telegraph.co.uk reports that:

With so much top-quality opposition around, BMW's R1200S is disappointing, says Kevin Ash The latest incarnation of BMW's S-suffixed boxer twin looks good on paper: a light 419lb dry weight, a strong 83lb ft of ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Telegraph.co.uk.

Clive Smith

Australia

#1 Jun 7, 2006
I would have to agree with the comments re BMW reliability, in my experience more a case of reputation rather than reality. My last BMW, an R1200C suffered a total and unexpected rear brake failure with less than 10,000kms on the clock. It was also plagued with poor finish, the chrome just fell off the bike including parts replaced under warranty. I live in Western Australia, a hot, dry climate unlike Europe, and yet the bike rusted unlike any Japanese machine I've ever owned.
My current BMW, an R1150GS, was much better, performing faultlessly until recently. The final drive gave out with just over 100,000kms covered. That I could live with but this week my bike suffered a total and sudden front brake failure caused by the hose splitting. OK, so the bike is now almost 6 years old but a brake hose failure is totally unacceptable given the potential consequences and to add insult to injury my bike will be off the road for weeks while the replacement hose is shipped from Germany. Would I buy another Beemer though? You bet, I've just ordered a 1200GS Adventure!! There's still nothing that comes even close to a GS being built anywhere else in the world.
Bill

Easley, SC

#2 Nov 9, 2006
Clive ... I agree that *nothing* else comes close. Unfortunately, for that money, final drives shouldn't explode, ABS shouldn't fail, paint should still be on the machine 5 years from now, and the service shouldn't cost as much as three months worth of payments ...

I love the GS line, truly I do. I just cannot justify the price of admission ....
david

Santa Fe, NM

#3 Apr 16, 2007
I don't have a bmw bike but have two cars and I must say that their engines are phenomenal and the rest of the car was probably made by Geo.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ducati Motorcycle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ride Tastefully: Union Motorcycle's Ducati Monza Jan 18 Motbikever 1
News Motorcycle Show in Long Beach Dec '15 subwayman 3
Al Lamb's Dallas Honda, 2013 Ducati 848 Evo Nov '15 cryswell 1
News a Mercedes-AMG Just Snagged A Stake In Motorcyc... (Nov '14) Nov '14 JW McCanliss 1
News Motorcycle maker Ducati stresses U.S. sales (Mar '14) Mar '14 dracul 1
News Harley-Davidson Opens First Showroom in Vietnam (Dec '13) Dec '13 McQuanchua 4
i want to sell my ducati motorcycle (Aug '13) Aug '13 Anonymous 1
More from around the web