Harley-Davidson profits plummet

Harley-Davidson profits plummet

There are 16 comments on the York Dispatch story from Oct 15, 2009, titled Harley-Davidson profits plummet. In it, York Dispatch reports that:

Harley-Davidson Inc. announced Thursday that its net income and stock earnings fell by more than 84 percent each for the third quarter, when compared to the third quarter of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at York Dispatch.

nosferatu

Willow Street, PA

#1 Oct 15, 2009
Gee, where are all the people at that blame everything on the York union?
C Mon Buddy

Harrisburg, PA

#2 Oct 15, 2009
I can't believe that, in this economy, HD hasn't gone belly-up yet!
DARK STAR

Sicklerville, NJ

#3 Oct 15, 2009
This company really needs to clean up their act if
they want to experience positive growth. Buying a
HD bike right now and you could end up owning
anothern Saturn.
Irover

Swedesboro, NJ

#4 Oct 15, 2009
Given the DISCONTINUATION of Buell and divesting
MV, we may be witnessing the death spiral of HD. The Motor Company never did realize that Buell could have been a successful product line and an entry point for sport-riders into the HD family. Instead they treated Buell as an after thought. Now all those dealers, who HD forced to build those expensive "stores" have nothing to sell expect the over-priced, un-engineered bikes trying to compete with metric bikes selling for thousands less which have the latest design\technology. Not to mentionthe abundance of "used" low-mileage
garage queen harleys that are flooding the market (and the repo bikes that dealers are trying to pass off as "used"). Look for more & more dealers to either go belly up or switch to Metric and\or Victory. I doubt that you will see another savior
ala AMF buyout this time!
LudaCrazy

Lenexa, KS

#5 Oct 15, 2009
just LEAVE already & BE DONE WITH IT !!!!
Big Daddy

Mount Laurel, NJ

#6 Oct 15, 2009
I can't hardly wait for the big announcement.
hib

Bristol, PA

#7 Oct 15, 2009
if i posted this link right, this is an interesting article listing the sales decline for motorcycle world wide. it's not just HD having issues
hib

Bristol, PA

#8 Oct 15, 2009
mike mike

Lincoln, NE

#9 Oct 15, 2009
who cares...be gone
SCRAMBLIN

Hummelstown, PA

#10 Oct 16, 2009
Let's see if I've got this right; company makes tons of money in previous years-company execs rape profits=union at fault? Maybe I slept thruogh to many math classes! I used to work for a small company in the mid 90's. Everything they paid for was PAID FOR! They are still in business and doing fine because they didn't get greedy when times were good. Sometimes work was slow, but with money in the bank they were able to weather tough times. Stop blaming unions and people who want to make a decent living and start blaming the GREEDY BASTARDS who rape companies of every last dollar on thier way out the door!
BBletterin

Petersburg, VA

#11 Oct 31, 2009
Im not a Harley bean counter, but ALL big companys seem to be getting rid of workforce (people) in order to make bottom line LOOK good. The higer mgt. don't seem to take much of a hit,but alot of laid off workers are the means to there supposed "economic recovery". I own a Buell and realy feel for the dedicated workers who just got "snuffed" so Harley can put there money into forign markets.Make the bike more diverese & mor affordable (not chineese made)and more interested people will buy them, IF they haven't been laid off!
independent

Yorktown, VA

#12 Oct 31, 2009
The owners (not stockholders) of the MoCo couldn't care less about what we have to say here and also don't care about the plant workers - we are all expendable. Their only concern is the bottom line. Taxes and government regulations cut into that bottom line to a great extent so workers pay the price. A business that goes through a boom time and expects that to remain is not managed well - no foresight and is actually a menace. HD has been operated like a small time, boom business and is going through the last twitches of a dieing, mismanaged company.

Maybe Obama will take it over and get it back on it's feet like GM, Chrysler, and the Banks....Call it Harley Government Davidson and put some head bobbing, lacy pantied liberal in charge.

I bought a Screaming Eagle Road King in '08 and it's the best motorcycle I have ever owned. I've been riding Harley's for a long time and have kept a few of the favorite ones but if HD moves to China, I will not buy another 'Harley China Davidson'. I will also find alternative sources for parts for what I have. They will cease to exist. They are screwing me and my friends so screw them! Let the Chinese ride their 'Chinese Harley Iron'...
jim v

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Nov 10, 2009
I must honestly say going to a Harley dealer is like fantasy land. Those prices!!. Your only alternative is to plunk a couple of thousand dollars down and struggle with the 5-6 year loans. Whew, in this economy? That would be wallet suicide. I can only hope the real purist motorcycle comes back at a reasonable price. None of the mardi gras adorned hoopla chrome door chimes attachments. Enough of the H-D elite, expensive , snub attitude, fashion show!
Buell purist
Jon

Loveland, OH

#14 Nov 10, 2009
Buell purist also, I agree and most Harley riders are all nothing but posers to begin with who know nothing about motorcycles. I'm afraid the band wagon is over for the poser crowd with their tassels and chrome. Meanwhile you ax Buell who was selling, just won a world title, innovative, affordable but just did not appeal to the poser crowd walking in your showrooms. Now the poser crowd has left and the real bike enthusiasts who loved Buell and the ones who were about to, have been abandoned. Smart move to jetison Buell that you never understood or marketed right to begin with. FOOLS!
Frank

Mount Laurel, NJ

#15 Nov 10, 2009
I have to agree with you guys. The days of Harleys and Hell Angels is gone. Today the company caters to rich, white, executives who have more money than they know what to do with. They have basically phased out the middle and lower middle class riders.
CheapHunky

Canonsburg, PA

#16 Nov 11, 2009
I've always had used bikes and maintained them myself. I agree that many HD dealers sucker punched those who allowed it. Bike weeks have turned into freak shows of old guys "finding themselves" by out spending the next guy. I'll admit I bought my Buell to be used as a beater about town, but found myself enjoying it more than I expected. Ride what you like and learn to ride it well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buell Motorcycle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Erik Buell Remembers His First Employee: Henry ... (Oct '14) Oct '14 BuellGirl 1
Ruff runing Buell X1 lighting (Feb '06) Oct '14 Joshbiz 8
News Zephyrhills motorcyclist dies after hitting Pol... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Adare 1
X1-Lightening engine for sale (Nov '07) Jan '13 d dobson 7
News Black 'N' Blue Buell | 2010 Sims Custom Bikes R... (Oct '11) Jan '13 Tank 3
News Fans speak out, suggest American Chopper: Live ... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Crackpot 1
Erik Buell riding from Melbourne to Sydney (Aug '11) Aug '11 stevo 1
More from around the web