A Commentary On The End Of Buell Moto...

A Commentary On The End Of Buell Motorcycle Company

There are 31 comments on the Roadracing World story from Oct 22, 2009, titled A Commentary On The End Of Buell Motorcycle Company. In it, Roadracing World reports that:

FIRST PERSON/OPINION Via e-mail: On Buell Companies rise, companies fall. It is an inexorable process with only the span of time between the two events being in question.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Roadracing World.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
laughing

Hollywood, FL

#21 Nov 3, 2009
What a bunch of "Posers" You guys all ride Buells because they are so cheap, you cant afford a real bike so you have to settle for the leftovers that everybody else passed on because we all know better, Buells are junk.
Raz

UAE

#22 Nov 4, 2009
Forget the name for now, get on a bike, ride it,
feel it, assess it, be with it, then judge it.
Laughing at you because you have never done that.
A true rider would recognise the sublime characteristics of any iron horse - the Buell
(especially the later models) have some purity
built in that does not go un-noticed by those who can actually recognize them. We don't want any vacant throttle twisters riding a fine design anyway.
RavenFire

Moss Point, MS

#23 Nov 11, 2009
Laughing at 'Laughing.' You sound like a dolt. What? You doled out 25K for a Harley so you think you're badass? Sounds like someone with too much money and not enough grey matter.
Perhaps you 'ride' a Ducati and think your shit is ice cream?
BBletterin

Petersburg, VA

#24 Nov 12, 2009
Laughing? From Florida again,Man I'm glad I don't live there. I have no problems with my Buell, and enjoy my bike, Have you owned a Buell? "junk" is not what I ride, I get alot of people talking to me on my rides that love these bikes.Sorry Florida seems so against Buell.The Harley people around here are not against these bikes,& seem to have pride Harley was making them.
Buellcyclone

Bullard, TX

#25 Nov 19, 2009
The old, tube framed buells might have been slighty unreliable but man, they were what every sporster rider wanted their bike to be---FAST. My cyclone would pop wheelies on command, was rubber mounted and smooth as silk at 3,000 rpm, years before sporsters had rubber mounted motors, and was a cool looking ride. My Ulysses is the best handling, most comfortable crusier I have ever ridden, beating my Road King in comfort by a mile. They arent any harder to work on than any other motorcycle so those comments are bogus. Like it or not, Buells were inovative, cool, and exciting. They were different which I think is what all motorcyclist want and they were unique. I will keep my Buell thank you very much and I am proud that its different, but uses that bad ass V twin motor to power the heart of this beast. Long live American inovation!
Todd Rodencal

United States

#26 Feb 9, 2010
I have a Buell Ulysses and LOVE IT!! No problems and put 16,000 miles in the first year. I also bought my wife a Blast as her first bike and was preparing to buy her a Sportster as she had outgrown the Blast...The only reason I was going with a Sportster was out of loyalty to HD. Now my wife will be getting a metric bike as her cruiser. So HD lost at least one sale due to dropping the Buell brand. When my Ulysses is done I will be moving to BMW!!
bagger dude

Temple Hills, MD

#27 Feb 9, 2010
Nobody wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe it's possible for anyone to 'step up.' Buell is not owned by Erik Buell; it's owned by Harley Davidson. Harley owns the name, the company and the rights to all patents and designs. Erik Buell is just an employee of H.D.
Besides, if the truth were known, Buell has probably been a money drain for 26 years. I'd be willing to bet that bikes like the 1125R each sold for less than Buell's production cost in order to compete with Japanese sportbike costs. The manufacturing numbers are too small to support the low price. Add to that the money spent in racing development and the money spent on paying racing contingencies and you have a huge money pit. No business man in his right mind would even consider trying to buy it.
WOW Erik is JUST an employee etc etc .....here's a guy who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground, blowing more hot air....that's all I have to say...read the article , do a little research or just plain shut up. The world and these forums are filled with experts willing to blow smoke about any subject at any time with no knowledge of the subject...makes me wanna PUKE!!!
bagger dude

Temple Hills, MD

#28 Feb 9, 2010
laughing wrote:
What a bunch of "Posers" You guys all ride Buells because they are so cheap, you cant afford a real bike so you have to settle for the leftovers that everybody else passed on because we all know better, Buells are junk.
DUDE>>>REALLY? you live in Kentucky......broken highways, muddy backroads, I'm sure your QUAD is real sweet with the rifle rack and coon tail flying from your C.B. antenna.....NOW I'M LAUGHING....oh, the irony........LMFAO
bagger dude

United States

#29 Feb 11, 2010
Buellthis wrote:
To tell you the truth Ive owned two Buells and they were both JUNK. The only reason i got the second one was because I convinced myself the first one was just a stroke of bad luck, so I got another X1 and that had even more problems than the first one. Lots of recalls and when it did run there was so much vibration the bike was a comfort nightmare, numb hands, sore butt, sore back, ect... Screw that, you can have your Buells I hate them, and good luck finding someone to work on them, there is a good reason there are only a handfull of dealers that will even touch them, its because they are garbage. The EVO and shovelheads were and are great cruizing bikes and I feel those are the best in the world but the Buell just cant compete against the in-line 4 metric sportbikes. This elimination should have been done a long time ago, So long Buell, Good to see you go.
X-1's were fantastic machines.....your vibration problems mosr likely came from some untrained individual you let mess with it. The entire drivetrain is rubber-mounted.....the only way you would get vibration problems would be isolator issues. Either torn rear ones (your fat girlfriend) or some knucklehead put the front top cup washer in backwards allowing it to hit the steering head. As far as not running? These are maintainance essential/hobby bikes. A true Buell owner developes a relationship with his machine usually consummated with the purchase of a shop manual and a torque wrench. If owning a Buell proved to be too much for your abilities, it wasn't the bike's fault. When your import needs a $300 valve adjustment, or you knock the teeth off second gear doing way cool wheelies, and that one runs around $1600 to split the cases, get back to us and tell us your feelings then. Enjoy life...no one gets out alive.
bagger dude

United States

#30 Feb 11, 2010
Jon wrote:
exXoneowner, I have solved the mistery, obviously shovel was your mechanic at the HD dealer. I should have known. Not sure what is going on in Florida but I would have to say stay out of the sun because it is clearly baking your brains! BuellBoy has the same experiences that the rest of us Buell lovers have had, pure, reliable biking happiness.
JON....you hit a couple nails on the head here.....SHOVEL showed his hand AND revealed the REAL problem with the early bikes...crusty old bastards that couldn't/wouldn't adapt to change. I got all the recalls too with my 97 S-3.....all the dealers botched every recall and the connected paperwork. I had to go back to the FACTORY in 2000 where BUELL MOTOR COMPANY re-did every recall, basically rebuilding my entire bike and un-doing all the terrible jobs from the dealerships and their dumbass, stubborn mechanical sabateurs. My swingarm pivots were stripped out, wrong rate shock was installed, isolators were replaced incorrectly, fuel tank vent was done wrong, creating a vaporlock situation that was not there before. Scratches and dings all over the frame and paint. I am very grateful as a result, I have retired from trucking and am going to MMI to try to make a change in at least ONE Harley dealership when I graduate. None of this was Buell's fault. Erik got half-assed support from a company that can't see past the next quarter. The Japs are true visionaries (sadly) who look at economies a hundred years at a time. We are a couple years away from the EPA turning pushrod engines into a thing of the past. So far , only rumors from H-D about some kind of V-Rod type big inch motor for the future.....will the first release be junk? Will the crusty old bastard mechanics be able to adapt when this weirdness has a Harley emblem on it? Time will tell....I'll be ready for them......here I come, SHOVEL.....put your tools on Craigslist while you still have time.
Hakan South of Sweden

Sweden

#31 Feb 20, 2010
Just drove an hour on my Buell XB12X, first drive this year, 2 degrees plus outside and not much snow on the road. Came to think about the sad story of Buell and do not understand how this uniqe bike not can find financial grounds. It's one of a kind and there is no substitute for it.
Buell needs a Spiker just like Saab because it's not right that this bike is no longer available.
Former owner of Kawasaki 550 LTD, Honda XL600R and BMW F650gs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buell Motorcycle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The goodyear falcon that not for the blast (Mar '17) Mar '17 Nedde d 1
2000 x1 lighning head light (Jun '16) Jun '16 Ron s 1
News Erik Buell Remembers His First Employee: Henry ... (Oct '14) Oct '14 BuellGirl 1
Ruff runing Buell X1 lighting (Feb '06) Oct '14 Joshbiz 8
News Zephyrhills motorcyclist dies after hitting Pol... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Adare 1
X1-Lightening engine for sale (Nov '07) Jan '13 d dobson 7
News Black 'N' Blue Buell | 2010 Sims Custom Bikes R... (Oct '11) Jan '13 Tank 3
More from around the web