Motorcycle deaths on the rise in S.C.

Motorcycle deaths on the rise in S.C.

There are 38 comments on the Myrtle Beach Online story from Jul 21, 2008, titled Motorcycle deaths on the rise in S.C.. In it, Myrtle Beach Online reports that:

Motorcycle-related deaths jumped 40 percent from 2003 to 2007 and are expected to keep climbing as gas prices rise and more people buy motorcycles, according to an analysis released Monday from AAA Carolinas.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Myrtle Beach Online.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
PA Barbie

Myrtle Beach, SC

#25 Jul 22, 2008
Glenn wrote:
<quoted text>I posted this earlier for another person but, I think it also applies to you Barbie. What goes around comes around… you will remember your insensitive comments when some tragedy happens in your life. And, you will wonder… did fate bring tragedy to your life because you are such a horrible human being? I pray for the souls of the haters who are happy to see someone die for riding a motorcycle.
Kaarma is a myth
Mr Bigie Biker

Murrells Inlet, SC

#26 Jul 22, 2008
Glenn wrote:
<quoted text>I posted this earlier for another person but, I think it also applies to you Barbie. What goes around comes around… you will remember your insensitive comments when some tragedy happens in your life. And, you will wonder… did fate bring tragedy to your life because you are such a horrible human being? I pray for the souls of the haters who are happy to see someone die for riding a motorcycle.
I Pray too, The serious lack of biker awareness on the road. A minor accident in a car can be fatal on a bike. I had safety courses. Cant stop the Haters though.
HUH

Florence, SC

#27 Jul 22, 2008
PA Barbie wrote:
Deaths are up for South Carolina bikers?
So what's the problem?
I've watched and listened to some of your rants - some make sense - THIS DOES NOT! Why don't don't you WOMAN UP and apologize for this comment?

Since: Jul 08

CONWAY SC

#28 Jul 22, 2008
PA Barbie wrote:
Deaths are up for South Carolina bikers?
So what's the problem?
mean , mean ,ya undawares green, Hey pa. you realize of course that your right to decide whether to wear a helmet is currently being infringed upon.

Since: Jul 08

CONWAY SC

#29 Jul 22, 2008
It is truely no surprise that there are so many accidents down here.I moved down from Md.@ 3 mo.ago. so kind of new here. One thing I have acertained though, "These old buzzards can't drive" Had one last week actually pull along side of me in my lane,after using some rather specific terminology he elected to get the hell out of lane. Pisses me off ,should of had a louisville slugger.
NMB Biker

Laurinburg, NC

#30 Jul 23, 2008
What happened to/in the case of Michael Hilton who was charged with two felony DUI counts, one that resulted in the death of a biker and one that resulted in the injury of the biker's passenger? The accident occurred the evening of May 10th, 2008 (1st weekend of 2008 Spring Rally) on N. Kings Highway in Myrtle Beach. His alcohol level was measured at .15 (twice the legal limit). Was this accident "swept under the table"? I searched and searched the Sun News/Myrtle Beach Online site and find NOTHING on this incident! If the biker had pulled-out in front of the resident and the biker was charged with the same charges as the resident was, I would bet that it would be reported over and over (almost daily) as other anti-biker news is! What's the story?
shovelrider75

Simpsonville, SC

#31 Jul 24, 2008
Once again an article that fails to mention the substantial increase in the number of bike registrations and actuall riders. Of course bikes have a higher rate of fatalitys than cars that's always going to be the case. New riders and those who haven't ridden in years, take the riders course. We don't want you to kill yourself or run into one of us.
Debbie Haag

Chapin, SC

#32 Aug 8, 2008
I agree with the fact that motorcycle riders need to be trained. I would push for that as being mandatory before a helmet law. I took a beginner's riding course when I bought my motorcycle and it's the best thing I could have done. I do believe the statistics on fatalities and helmets, but there are no statistics on the number/percentage of THOSE fatalities where rider error was or was not the cause of the wreck. My point being, cars/trucks are a major concern for motorcyclists. In the first 3 months I was riding, I dodged a car pulling out in front of me on more than half of my rides. Helmet or not, riders continue to be put at risk by motorists who do not look for motorcycles. I would ask Rep. Tracy Edge to push for motorist awareness in the next legislative session. How about some television commercials from the SC Highway Dept. to promote awareness of motorcycles by drivers of cars and trucks? My wearing a helmet is not goint to stop cars from pulling out in front of me.
against the rallies

Myrtle Beach, SC

#33 Aug 8, 2008
they dont mention that deaths are up do to people in cars causeing the wrecks ! people to old to drive and people on phones !
Larry

Irmo, SC

#34 Aug 8, 2008
I been riding for 45yrs. All i can say: 90% of the young riders today lack the skills to ride.
You don't drive (steer) a bike, you ride one
by looking further ahead and power on in turns
and balance is important. Just watch these riders
today; leg's down after take off (give them training wheels), when stopping, they always use
both brakes (wonder why), maybe too fast for
conditions. Yes! And yes, a manadory class(3days)
on the their own bike given by DMV. Helmets do restrict vision, so take heed.
ROSS

Myrtle Beach, SC

#35 Aug 8, 2008
Larry wrote:
I been riding for 45yrs. All i can say: 90% of the young riders today lack the skills to ride.
You don't drive (steer) a bike, you ride one
by looking further ahead and power on in turns
and balance is important. Just watch these riders
today; leg's down after take off (give them training wheels), when stopping, they always use
both brakes (wonder why), maybe too fast for
conditions. Yes! And yes, a manadory class(3days)
on the their own bike given by DMV. Helmets do restrict vision, so take heed.
USEING BOTH BRAKES IS WHAT YOUR SUPPOSETO DO !THATS WHY YOU HAVE FRONT AND REAR ! MAKES IT EASIER ON ALL THE BRAKESAND LETS THEM LAST LONGER !ALSO BETTER CONTROL ! MAYBE YOU NEED SOME LESSONS YOURSELF !
Stuck in PC

AOL

#36 Aug 8, 2008
I ridea lot in SC. Lunchtime Saturday you see many bikers at bars. I'm absolutely certain bikers buy Harleys so they can get into the party scene in their middle age years.
Do your drinking after you've finished the ride for the day.% or 6 beers at lunch can kill you.
Boycott Myrtle Beach

United States

#37 Sep 19, 2008
Boycott Myrtle Beach. Please do not spend your hard earned money in a city that Hates everyone, except the upper class as they like to be called. Its simple,stay at any beach town outside the city limits,play, sun have fun. Just dont do it in the city of mb...
Hypocritical Hoteliers

AOL

#38 Sep 20, 2008
Hypocritical Hoteliers Don't Live In MB

they have their multi million dollar cash cow properties in town, but these plutocrats have made so much money on the beach, they don't have to live there. They live out in quiet rural areas on the river in their plantation homes. Or maybe in an upscale gated and walled compound away from the madding crownd and noise of the bikers.

These hotel owner hypocrites could care less about the common folk trying to raise a family in town. So they tell the bikers to bring it on and charge them double and triple rates. And so, bikers come on their hogs and rockets, bringing with them all their their noise and lewd behavior.

Some of the hypocritical hoteliers don't even have a hotel in town. They pay no city taxes at all. Yet they want MB City and its residents to suffer through the month of May so they can gouge the bikers. My arse! They are just as bad as the promoters and web page owners from out of state. Take all the money out of MB you can and leave the trash for residents to deal with.

If you bikers have such a good deal going, isn't there some other place clammoring for your business? Please. Go there and with our blessings.
NMB Resident Biker

Laurinburg, NC

#39 Sep 20, 2008
Screamineagle

United States

#40 Sep 20, 2008
Hypocritical Hoteliers wrote:
Hypocritical Hoteliers Don't Live In MB
they have their multi million dollar cash cow properties in town, but these plutocrats have made so much money on the beach, they don't have to live there. They live out in quiet rural areas on the river in their plantation homes. Or maybe in an upscale gated and walled compound away from the madding crownd and noise of the bikers.
These hotel owner hypocrites could care less about the common folk trying to raise a family in town. So they tell the bikers to bring it on and charge them double and triple rates. And so, bikers come on their hogs and rockets, bringing with them all their their noise and lewd behavior.
Some of the hypocritical hoteliers don't even have a hotel in town. They pay no city taxes at all. Yet they want MB City and its residents to suffer through the month of May so they can gouge the bikers. My arse! They are just as bad as the promoters and web page owners from out of state. Take all the money out of MB you can and leave the trash for residents to deal with.
If you bikers have such a good deal going, isn't there some other place clammoring for your business? Please. Go there and with our blessings.
This is your brain on drugs. I'm sure Detroit residents feel the same about automakers as do the residents of Pittsburgh feel about the Steelmakers. Hoteliers in Myrtle Beach take the biggest risk investing in this area, employ the most people, pay the most taxes and absorb the lions share of the insurance, and spend the money that promotes this area.

Yes, we have expectations.
Open NMB-AB Blvd

AOL

#41 Sep 20, 2008
End Racial Segregation in North Myrtle Beach
Open the Bouelvard to Atlantic Beach

North Myrtle Beach wants the biker rallies to continue. Take down the barriors seperating NMB from Atlantic Beach. Then the hog hordes and rocket riders can have an unobstructed parade from Windy Hill to Cherry Grove and back.

No need for bikers to ever go south to MB, Surfside or Garden City where they are not wanted. Stay in NMB and AB and party down. NMB and AB can look forward to an entire month of bikers and MB and the South Strand can have their May back.
RobA

Woodstock, GA

#42 Sep 23, 2008
Fatrocker wrote:
Biker training is a good thing...to many rookies on the road is dangerous to us all...
My thought is that a motorcycle license would require a mandatory certificate from a state certified school. I also see so many riders out there that could not have possibly taken a safety course. When riding I see them the uneducated making so many safety mistakes that is a wonder that fatalities are not much higher.
I do understand why some do not want to wear a helmet. I do also understand that the number of injuries and deaths cause insurance rates to rise. My question is: Isn't the selfish to all riders, especially for those who have to pinch pennies just to be able to afford to ride? Sure, helmets do not keep people from being injured and maimed, but they do help to prevent brain injuries and deaths caused by those brain injuries.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Motorcycle Accidents Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
motorcycle accident commack long island new york (Sep '14) Sep '14 norton123 1
News Top 10 Value-For-Money Hondas (Jun '14) Jun '14 Pankaj Parekh 1
News Missouri Motorcycle Helmet Law Repealed (Mar '09) May '14 Will I Am 62
News Motorcyclist dies after hitting elk in Mesa County (Jul '13) Apr '14 Nelsonr 2
BUY false passports, buy the card ID FAKE, FAKE... (Dec '12) Apr '14 CJB 6
News Chasing a big city dream comes with big bills (Jul '07) Mar '14 Lina 2
News Chasing a big city dream comes with big bills (Jun '07) Mar '14 Corrie 2
More from around the web