AAA: Biker deaths on the rise in SC

AAA: Biker deaths on the rise in SC

There are 94 comments on the Myrtle Beach Online story from Jul 21, 2008, titled AAA: Biker deaths on the rise in SC. In it, Myrtle Beach Online reports that:

Motorcycle-related deaths jumped 40 percent from 2003 to 2007 and are expected to keep climbing as gas prices rise and more people buy motorcycles, according to analysis released today from AAA Carolinas.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Myrtle Beach Online.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
unionvet

Little River, SC

#90 Jul 21, 2008
Grand Strand Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I, too, am a Damn Yankee and I must disagree with you. There is common sense in South Carolina, just not much of it on most of these blogs or in the government!
and you responding makes you a educated man huh!
MBH

United States

#91 Jul 21, 2008
unionvet wrote:
<quoted text>
and you responding makes you a educated man huh!
That should be "an" educated man.
P.S. I'm southern and anti-rallies; I'm also an educated woman.
Robin Hood

Alpharetta, GA

#92 Jul 21, 2008
Against the Rallies wrote:
Are we on the Yankees AGAIN! It makes me laugh when ALL other arguments fail -BLAME A YANK!
Well I've said it before and I'll say it again...
THANK A YANK - we WON THE WAR and STILL LET YOU LIVE HERE!
Nope. The Civil War has not ended. It is in a state of temporary cease fire.(copied and pasted)

"On June 23, 1865, at Fort Towson in the Choctaw Nations' area of the Oklahoma Territory, Stand Watie signed a cease-fire agreement with Union representatives, becoming the last Confederate general in the field to stand down."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_W...
Against the Rallies wrote:
That idiotic remark is directed at ALL the stupid, ignorant posters who can find nothing better to do then complain about northerners! Soooooo many of the HD bikers are from the north that I often wonder how they mesh with the red neck bikers!
The mesh is complete when the Yankee Doodle signs the papers and swings his leg over the saddle of his new Harley-Davidson for the first time. The experience is like an exorcism for him. He steps out of his distorted Yankee psyche and instantly becomes a mellow good-ole-boy for an eternity.
SHOVELHEAD

Kingsport, TN

#94 Jul 22, 2008
Grand Strand Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like being a friend of yours is dangerous, Shovelhead! lol
Not really I have been riding for over 30 years and have met a lot of people in my travels Have seen a lot of death it seems to go with the motorcycle faternity sadly but rest assured I have a lot of friends that are still riding and alive it aint like im a Typhoid Mary or something I guess with that post it did sound like I was jinxed or something LOL also SHOVELHEAD GCB SC
SHOVELHEAD

Kingsport, TN

#95 Jul 22, 2008
Pennsylvania wrote:
shovelhead, you have so much time on your hands, why don't do some work for the poor like we YANKEES do and help people that need help??????????
Number one I work for myself and do not have to account to you or anyone else for my time. You have no idea how many charities I help Does that clear up things for ya??? If it dont too bad SHOVELHEAD GCB SC
Dave D

United States

#96 Jul 22, 2008
Nowhere do they list the % increase in motorcycle riders during the period. The rider numbers go up, the number of accidents/fatalities usually follow.

Look around while you are out and look at the % of riders wearing helmets? Less than 25%. I'd have to say so. If that's correct then not wearing a helmet improves your odds of surviving a crash, or at least not getting into one in the first place.

Mandatory Motorcycle Safety Foundation courses would be a good thing. The "Rider's Edge" program offered by Harley Davidson is a joke.

Adding a motorcycle awareness program to the automotive license would help.

NC has a very restrictive helmet law. Think they don't have motorcycle fatalities?#8 in the country.

Statistics can be skewed to present any view you want.

This from one of the less than 25% wearing a helmet.
JCD

Upper Marlboro, MD

#97 Jul 22, 2008
50% of people polled, believe the polls, 50% don't believe the polls and the other 50% are unsure.
BMB

United States

#98 Jul 22, 2008
We shouldn't have to legislate for stupidity. Should there be a seat belt/helmet law??? No.
Should people with common sense wear seat belts and helmets??? Yes. If you want to bust your skull open on the street....fine. I saw "Thin The Heard". Let's consintrate on something important.
MB tastes good

Marion, SC

#99 Jul 22, 2008
Pennsylvania wrote:
Robin Hood, Most people in SC are overweight due to the lack of work (living off of the government ) Get rid of the Idiot (W) in washington and things will get a lot better
Fried food doesn't seem to help, either. Calabash style!
Dave D

United States

#100 Jul 22, 2008
retlaw wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again you speak the truth Shovel, and with class.
I was a friend of Indian Larry, he came to my bike shop in NJ several times. He had my PBA card in his wallet the day he died. He was as experienced as they get, and it was a tragedy a helmet, might, and I say might, have prevented.
Not standing up on the seat and trying to adjust the throttle with one foot might have helped more.
SHOVELHEAD

Kingsport, TN

#101 Jul 22, 2008
Dave D wrote:
<quoted text>
Not standing up on the seat and trying to adjust the throttle with one foot might have helped more.
Well you know how you see stuntmen on the tube doing stunts and the announcer says this is a professional stunt person dont attempt this at home. I considered Larry a professional stunt man also along with his bike building abilities. He had done this and many other stunts for years. Just this onre time he slipped and that was it. The main example I was pointing out was 2 things It seems ludicrist if he had a helmet on he might not have died of head injuries but then again that same helmet may have broke his neck with the same sad result. The helmet thing is kinda a catch 22 situation dammed if you dammed if you dont As far as stunts like that I have been riding 30 years and I would not dream of trying that even in my young wild days but he did and could for many years RIP Larry SHOVELHEAD GCB SC
Against the Rallies

Longs, SC

#102 Jul 22, 2008
unionvet wrote:
<quoted text>
here, yank on this!
Sorry, it so small I can't find it!
Mark

Cantonment, FL

#103 Jul 22, 2008
I consistently have people in "Cages" cutting me off. I didn't choose for them to be on the cell phone and ignoring their responsibility. But, I can tell you that I choose to wear or not wear my helmet. MY LIFE, MY CHOICE, SO #**K OFF. If people would grab some courtesy and consideration on the roadways and stop paying so much attention to their phones (which includes texting while driving) fatalities would drop.
Against the Rallies

Longs, SC

#104 Jul 22, 2008
Mark wrote:
I consistently have people in "Cages" cutting me off. I didn't choose for them to be on the cell phone and ignoring their responsibility. But, I can tell you that I choose to wear or not wear my helmet. MY LIFE, MY CHOICE, SO #**K OFF. If people would grab some courtesy and consideration on the roadways and stop paying so much attention to their phones (which includes texting while driving) fatalities would drop.
If you are married and have children it is a different story. Single - knock yourself out (NO pun intended).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Motorcycle Accidents Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Motorcyclist cartwheeled through air after bein... (Apr '16) Apr '16 Fred Steele 1
Accident (Jul '15) Jul '15 FredSanford 1
News Walker defends Wisconsin voter ID laws (Jun '15) Jun '15 Your Ex 141
motorcycle accident commack long island new york (Sep '14) Sep '14 norton123 1
News Top 10 Value-For-Money Hondas (Jun '14) Jun '14 Pankaj Parekh 1
News Missouri Motorcycle Helmet Law Repealed (Mar '09) May '14 Will I Am 62
News Motorcyclist dies after hitting elk in Mesa County (Jul '13) Apr '14 Nelsonr 2
More from around the web