AAA: Biker deaths on the rise in SC

Motorcycle-related deaths jumped 40 percent from 2003 to 2007 and are expected to keep climbing as gas prices rise and more people buy motorcycles, according to analysis released today from AAA Carolinas. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Mockingbird

United States

#1 Jul 21, 2008
Wait a year. With that new law that allows motorcycles to run through red lights, the fatalities will really jump. If you think that the bikers will wait TWO minutes, I have a bridge I want to sell you.
PREFAB SPROUT

Columbia, SC

#2 Jul 21, 2008
Well what a surprise!

75% were not wearing helmets. Exhaustive and extensive research (most notably by Harry Hurt at USC (thats the USC in California that actually has a great football program-not the one locally) shows the single most important thing that you can do to survive a bike accident is to be wearing a helmet.

This is not an "individual freedom" issue. It's not a "personal liberty" issue. Its bad enough that people die without helmets on---what about the unlucky souls that survive but are brain damaged for life? Do you think ABATE is going to pay for millions in medical care? Nope-it will be me and you the taxpayers.
Mandatory helmets are the way to go-hopefully the state legislature will grow a pair next session and mandate them.

“"Live 4 Today 4get 2morrow"”

Since: Jul 08

Staten Island NY

#3 Jul 21, 2008
Mockingbird wrote:
Wait a year. With that new law that allows motorcycles to run through red lights, the fatalities will really jump. If you think that the bikers will wait TWO minutes, I have a bridge I want to sell you.
WHAT? Are you kidding me? In a year they can run red lights? Oh God.. i knew next year was goin to be hell.
And IM NOT AGAINST bikers. Just dont like the noise. My parents are bikers. Their friends are bikers. My uncle and aunt come down every single year. So before all the comments come rolling in badgering me..step off.
Oscar

Lexington, SC

#4 Jul 21, 2008
At least we're cleaning up the gene pool.
RDR

Myrtle Beach, SC

#5 Jul 21, 2008
THEY DONT BOTHER TO SAY THAT MOST OF THE DEATHS ARE NOT THE MOTORCYCLES FAULT ! ITS STUPID PEOPLE IN CARS !
The Imagineer

Summerville, SC

#6 Jul 21, 2008
Nobody is allowed to run through red lights...They have to stop, wait at least 2 minutes, and then they can go...But I can't see that being a common thing except for late at night when there aren't many cars on the road. For traffic lights that require a weight be put on the road to signal it, what else should they do - sit there until a car comes by and changes the light? What if that takes 3 hours? You think they should just sit there Mockingbird? Use your head.

And statistically, the more motorcycles on the road, the more deaths...It is the same with bicycles, cars, and mopeds or anything you get more of on the road...The more planes in the sky, the more will crash. This isn't rocket science...I don't see a big deal.
Granny Biker

United States

#7 Jul 21, 2008
Read this law lady, it includes: mopeds and bicycles - yes bicycles! Automobile drives need retraining as they are among the worst! Get off your cell phones and look where you are driving.

SC does have a helmet law. AMEN.
Mockingbird

United States

#8 Jul 21, 2008
angel507ny wrote:
<quoted text>
WHAT? Are you kidding me? In a year they can run red lights? Oh God.. i knew next year was goin to be hell.
And IM NOT AGAINST bikers. Just dont like the noise. My parents are bikers. Their friends are bikers. My uncle and aunt come down every single year. So before all the comments come rolling in badgering me..step off.
The Governor signed the bill allowing this. They can run the lights now. What I meant was in one year the total fatalities will be worse.
Against the Rallies

Longs, SC

#9 Jul 21, 2008
angel507ny wrote:
<quoted text>
They can run red lights AFTER the wait 2 minutes I believe. This is because their bikes are not usually heavy enough to set off the sensors built into the road to trigger the changing of lights.
Against the Rallies

Longs, SC

#10 Jul 21, 2008
Oscar wrote:
That was uncalled for to put it mildly!
Deuce

West Columbia, SC

#11 Jul 21, 2008
with the cost of gas on the rise and my bike getting 46 MPG you are going to see more bikes on the road, and they will be ridden by everyday people, your neighbors and co-workers. If you don't have someone you know who owns one and rides one, you probably will in a year. It just makes common sense that a vehicle with one person in it who drives to work and home alone every day getting 20-30 MPG or the same person on a bike getting 40-60 MPG, isn't that beeter for the economy? traffic? common sense says that fatalities will rise. DO YOU LOOK FOR BIKES?? WILL YOU LOOK FOR THEM AFTER YOU PULL OUT IN FRONT OF ONE AND ALMOST KILL SOMEONE??
Old Jim 70

Conway, SC

#13 Jul 21, 2008
A helmet law would be a definite help in reducing deaths. Education might be helpful, but it will never replace common sense.
pro rally

Myrtle Beach, SC

#15 Jul 21, 2008
Oscar wrote:
while were cleaning we need to start with u !u little chicken prick !
JCD

Upper Marlboro, MD

#17 Jul 21, 2008
"Mockingbird"]<qu oted text> The Governor signed the bill allowing this. They can run the lights now. What I meant was in one year the total fatalities will be worse.
1st.,, Running a red light means you did not stop for the light!
Do you ever turn right on red?
What is the difference?
You stop, You look to make sure it's clear,
THEN YOU "GO THROUGH A RED LIGHT"....
ARE YOU STUPID??? I say yes
pro rally

Myrtle Beach, SC

#18 Jul 21, 2008
I OWN YOU wrote:
AND THE DENTS ON MY SUV'S FRONT BUMPER IS ON THE RISE AS WELL.
atleast you admit u drive like s***t ! now stop driving all together dummy !
inletrebel

Myrtle Beach, SC

#19 Jul 21, 2008
I OWN YOU wrote:
AND THE DENTS ON MY SUV'S FRONT BUMPER IS ON THE RISE AS WELL.
you stups in SUVs that change lanes with no signals and think you own the road are part of the problem! You put a dent on your SUV from my bike and you better PRAY I can't get back up! The only thing you own is your teeny tiny johnson!!!!
Adios

Andrews, SC

#20 Jul 21, 2008
Mockingbird wrote:
Exactly, Myrtle Beach won't have to worry about ending the rallies, these fools will kill themselves.
Oscar

Lexington, SC

#21 Jul 21, 2008
pro rally wrote:
<quoted text> while were cleaning we need to start with u !u little chicken prick !
Thank you for proving my point.
fed up

Myrtle Beach, SC

#22 Jul 21, 2008
Adios wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly, Myrtle Beach won't have to worry about ending the rallies, these fools will kill themselves.
u first a-hole !
fed up

Myrtle Beach, SC

#24 Jul 21, 2008
Oscar wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for proving my point.
your an idoit ! you made the dumb comment ! cant take your own crap ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Motorcycle Accidents Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
motorcycle accident commack long island new york Sep '14 norton123 1
Top 10 Value-For-Money Hondas Jun '14 Pankaj Parekh 1
Missouri Motorcycle Helmet Law Repealed (Mar '09) May '14 Will I Am 62
Motorcyclist dies after hitting elk in Mesa County (Jul '13) Apr '14 Nelsonr 2
BUY false passports, buy the card ID FAKE, FAKE... (Dec '12) Apr '14 CJB 6
Chasing a big city dream comes with big bills (Jul '07) Mar '14 Lina 2
Chasing a big city dream comes with big bills (Jun '07) Mar '14 Corrie 2
More from around the web