MOTORCYCLE SAFETY: Tips for Bikers an...

MOTORCYCLE SAFETY: Tips for Bikers and Motorists

There are 6 comments on the WHOtv story from Apr 12, 2010, titled MOTORCYCLE SAFETY: Tips for Bikers and Motorists. In it, WHOtv reports that:

With the warmer weather comes an increase in motorcycles on the roads. And an increase in motorcycle accidents.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHOtv.

BossHossRider

Geneseo, IL

#1 Apr 12, 2010
While I applaud the video as far as raising awareness of motorcycles on the road, not very impressive in a couple of areas. The rider interviewed gave some very good advice and tips, but was riding with one hand on the bars. Not good. Also, the reporter at the end stressed the need for wearing a helmet, then proceeded to put it on his head, then ride away without fastening the strap. Won't do you much good if it doesn't stay on your head! Overall, the report was very good with a lot of good information and I thank WHO for airing it.
Doc

Albia, IA

#2 Apr 13, 2010
Great article. Thank you!
Bear

Fort Dodge, IA

#3 Apr 13, 2010
Most drivers need to wake up and get out of their head that it is a RIGHT to operate a vehicle and pull their head out and pay attention.
David

Pella, IA

#4 Apr 13, 2010
I would like to add, hang up your phones drive your car, watch for children. They may ban texting but got the extra mile do use your phone and drive, If you question this try walking in traffic (sidewalk) and dialing without watching where you walk. It is disconcerting.
Bob

Des Moines, IA

#5 Apr 13, 2010
last year there were 49 deaths

does it really make that much difference whether it's 48 or 49?

it does if you're the 49th

the next 5 are still alive and dont expect it - is it you?

think - every time you ride - you dont have to be morbid, but follow all the laws and use everything you know about riding (and learn if you dont know enough)

years ago, i resumed riding after stopping for a few years, for no particular reason - the fist time i got on, i thought "will this eventually cost me a leg?"

it's hasnt yet, but i've never forgot that it can

i hope i never do

(and no, I dont have loud pipes)
dmacckay

Ankeny, IA

#8 Apr 13, 2010
Although this clip was too short to actually show how DMACC operates their classes, the idea was to inform the public about motorcycle safety.
DMACC stresses safety in all aspects of their motorcycle program, from proper training to proper riding apparel (which in this clip it comes across as DMACC students riding). If these riders were actually DMACC motorcycle class graduates they would be properly attired. No matter what, it is imperative that you ride proactive.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Motorcycle Accidents Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Motorcyclist cartwheeled through air after bein... (Apr '16) Apr '16 Fred Steele 1
Accident (Jul '15) Jul '15 FredSanford 1
News Walker defends Wisconsin voter ID laws (Jun '15) Jun '15 Your Ex 141
motorcycle accident commack long island new york (Sep '14) Sep '14 norton123 1
News Top 10 Value-For-Money Hondas (Jun '14) Jun '14 Pankaj Parekh 1
News Missouri Motorcycle Helmet Law Repealed (Mar '09) May '14 Will I Am 62
News Motorcyclist dies after hitting elk in Mesa County (Jul '13) Apr '14 Nelsonr 2
More from around the web