Bikers Support New Red Light Law

Bikers Support New Red Light Law

There are 35 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from May 29, 2008, titled Bikers Support New Red Light Law. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

Bikers who rallied for support of a new law to allow them to run a red light if the coast is clear say that the legislation will bring more responsibility to the road.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
GeeWhiz

AOL

#22 May 30, 2008
This is opening a can of worms. No one's '2 minutes' is going to be equal to anyone else's. Running red lights is already a problem, if youre going to allow it, then just take the traffic lights down completely.
Boo

Columbia, SC

#23 May 30, 2008
As a bicyclist, I this law makes complete sense. Bikers aren't going to be running red lights left and right without caution. They are going to wait, then look to see if the coast is clear, then cross. No one wants to be smacked by a 2000 lb vehicle.

I see more cars running red lights on a daily bases than anything else, and they are usually flying across the intersection.
owens

Decatur, GA

#24 May 30, 2008
No, I do do agree with this new law. This will create more accidents in Columbia. They already have the right of way on the roads as it is. On two Notch and interstate Motorcycles speed at high rate, do not have to ware a Helmet,no seat belt and now they have the right to rum red light. Do you actual believe that a lot of them will wait at a red light they will sit for second and then rum it. you are from the wrong side of town. Areas where there are a lot of bike being ridden by blacks where they ZigZag in and out of the traffice. there are going to be more accidents with motorist and more killing with the riders. Please pass the Helmet Law. I do not feel this is a good idea/ I do not know why you ask for citizens to remark, you pass your laws anyway My brother was killed in a motorcycle accident and did not have on helmet. PLEASE!PlEASE pass the helmet law.Why do you make it a law for citizens to ware seat belts, up gas prises, but motorcycles and bikes have the right of way over the high taxes and the gas, we have to pay just to drive out cars on the road. I feel they should wait just as a car, you can already make a right turn on red. Please don't pass the law a lot of people will be killed and when this happens,. please know I told you so.
Thats BS

Chapin, SC

#25 May 30, 2008
I don't think the motorcycles is what everybody should be concerned about. It's the idiots in spandex peddling bikes! If they're going to ride in the streets then they should have to follow the same laws we do in our cars, not ride up beside everyone in traffic and keep going, or back traffic up because they won't get out of the way and they can't keep up with the flow of traffic. Said it before and I'll say it again....I refuse to feel bad when one of them gets knocked down.

And by the way, who designs the stuff these guys are wearing!? hahahahaha
Bingo

Summerville, SC

#26 May 30, 2008
Exactly!!! Some would say an unintended consequence, but I say this new law is intentionally designed to get kill more bikers. I can hear every motorist "he did not stop for 2 minutes, he just pulled out in front of me". The biker will be at fault every time.
In Cola wrote:
When you go on through that red light and get smacked by a car going legally through his/her green light you can go crying to our idiot governor.
Night Rider

United States

#27 May 30, 2008
Most of the comments that I have read here appear to be from people who have probably never even been on a bike. Common sense prevails with this law. I've been riding motorcycles for over 40 years and have had to go through countless red lights, especially at rural locations, after sitting for up to 10 minutes or more TRYING NOT to break the law. Unless you've been on a bike and seen some fool person in a car or P/U truck come up behind you and not even realize you're there because they are too busy looking at the light hoping it will change, you have no idea what it's like, and God forbid if it happens to be an 80,000 pound 18 wheeler. This isn't something that is going to be abused any more than it has been for years because of riders having to get out of the way of non-bikers, and the ones that do abuse it, well the burden is on them. I might add, this isn't something that is going to happen all over "city" streets because there is usually enough traffic to prevent going through the light, and also enough vehicles to be behind to "trip" the light to begin with. IF cars and bikers alike use common sense, this will be no more dangerous to bikers than it has ever been.
DDM

Lexington, SC

#28 May 30, 2008
As a former motorcycle rider I can tell you that this law is OK as long as it is not abused. I used to ride my motorcycle to work and there was one light that would not change because my motorcycle would not trigger the light. It was in a rough neighborhood also. I would sit for a few and if it did not change I would carefully go through it. Seems like they could adjust the sensitivity on the lines in the road or something though.

I do use the lines to my advantage at some lights to make the green arrow appear while I am in my car though.:) They usually have several sets in the road to read traffic. If one car is in the lane already you can look at the road and see where the next set of triggers are and stop there.
Cal biker

United States

#29 May 31, 2008
It's about time law makers started making laws that make sense. The greens worry about carbon foot prints, well this will reduce it.
Americas finest

Columbia, SC

#30 May 31, 2008
Can't we all just get along? Pull up to the light, observe for traffic, proceed "with caution" after 2 minutes if it doesn't turn green. I believe this is straight forward with little/no innuendo. No matter what you ride or bicycle... remember to exercise caution! A bike or motorcycle is a non-match for any motor vehicle.
bikers r trash

Lexington, SC

#31 Jun 3, 2008
chuck wrote:
WE LOST A RIDER TODAY.@# 1 TO ALL THOSE THAT RIDE USE YOUR HIGH BEAMS DURING THE DAY IT CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!
I aim for them high beams. i hate biker trash and run them off the road. i tail gate them , cut them off and just look for a reason to put em in a ditch. biker trash beware death race 3000 is on. run a red light and let me see it.......go ahead I dare ya!
Dino

San Dimas, CA

#33 Jun 5, 2008
bikers r trash wrote:
<quoted text> I aim for them high beams. i hate biker trash and run them off the road. i tail gate them , cut them off and just look for a reason to put em in a ditch. biker trash beware death race 3000 is on. run a red light and let me see it.......go ahead I dare ya!
Be careful, a lot of parts tend to "fall off" of a motorcycle. Vibration and all that. Bolts loosen, stuff breaks, etc. Might cost you a windshield. Then, since the bike is much more maneuverable in traffic, you may never catch the biker to let him/her know that the part fell off!

Sounds like a good law. I wish that they'd pass something like that here in California. In the 30+ years I've been riding, I've been stuck at lights that refused to change. They used to put a center stand on bikes, most times you could drag it across the sensors and trigger the light.

Just have to be careful when you go through a light, be cautious. Most drivers don't care about riders.

Since: May 08

Bluffton, SC

#34 Jun 9, 2008
I thought the bill states it is law and goes into affect as soon as the Governor sighned it. 120 seconds is a very long time. Most bikers are more aware of safety than most motorists. We dont have a metal cage surrounding us. We all have seen people in Halo's and full body casts. Its not pretty. If this LEO feels this strongly about this law maybe we should send him to the border where he will be of good use. Arrest a few Federal Trespassers. Leave law abiding citizens alone.
yamaha bob

United States

#35 Jun 9, 2008
law and order wrote:
I dont care about this law. if I see them run it I will ticket them!!beware bikers. a few of us will ticket you. the law is full of loop holes and it is up to our discretion about ticketing you and if we feel the lane is clear and if you wait for two minutes. our words against yours.
Go ahead and write me the ticket. I,ve got a stopwatch and a helmet cam. If you've got the time to waste in front of the judge against video tape I do too.
Night Rider

United States

#36 Jun 10, 2008
bikers r trash wrote:
<quoted text> I aim for them high beams. i hate biker trash and run them off the road. i tail gate them , cut them off and just look for a reason to put em in a ditch. biker trash beware death race 3000 is on. run a red light and let me see it.......go ahead I dare ya!
LOL, sounds like another fool I saw in Florida who is now doing life in prison for aggravated attempted murder. He tried to run down a biker AND MISSED, but he sure as he** got caught LMAO
Dino

San Dimas, CA

#37 Jun 11, 2008
Night Rider wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, sounds like another fool I saw in Florida who is now doing life in prison for aggravated attempted murder. He tried to run down a biker AND MISSED, but he sure as he** got caught LMAO
Good! I hope he rots in jail. Idiots don't realize we got the same right to be on the road as they do. I'm just surprised that they actually prosecuted the guy, let along got a conviction!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Motorcycle Accidents Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sikh motorcyclist challenges turban ban in Canada (Feb '08) Feb '18 paseri 25
News He's ridden the same Honda Gold Wing for a mill... (Sep '17) Feb '18 marac21 2
News Motorcyclist cartwheeled through air after bein... (Apr '16) Apr '16 Fred Steele 1
Accident (Jul '15) Jul '15 FredSanford 1
News Walker defends Wisconsin voter ID laws (Jun '15) Jun '15 Your Ex 141
motorcycle accident commack long island new york (Sep '14) Sep '14 norton123 1
News Top 10 Value-For-Money Hondas (Jun '14) Jun '14 Pankaj Parekh 1