Harley-Davidson Tries To Quiet Motorc...

Harley-Davidson Tries To Quiet Motorcycle Noise - Loud Pipes' Cost

There are 294 comments on the Automotive story from Jul 16, 2008, titled Harley-Davidson Tries To Quiet Motorcycle Noise - Loud Pipes' Cost. In it, Automotive reports that:

Jim McCaslin is President and CEO of Harley-Davidson Motor Company. In a message entitled "Something We Never Want to Lose" on his company's website, Harley-Davidson Motor Company President and CEO Jim McCaslin ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Automotive.

Jmedn

Brookfield, WI

#186 Dec 31, 2008
tor wrote:
<quoted text>
And all the pirate gear to go with it? ;-). I wouldn't own a "Hardly" if you gave it to me. Yes I ride a Honda Sport Tourer, wearing All The Gear All The Time. Ride Safe.
You know and WE all know your full of sh%$, if someone gave you a H-D you'd take it in a newyork minute. You more than likely don't belong on a Harley ,but you'd take it. You may trade it or pretend your a real biker and sit on it in your garage, but you'd take it. I know many guy's that don't have Harleys that are real bikers, it's how you live day to day, not what you wear or ride. You sound like a whiney little snob.

“Living Life One Ride at a Time”

Since: Oct 07

Albert Bridge, Nova Scotia

#187 Dec 31, 2008
tor wrote:
<quoted text>
And all the pirate gear to go with it? ;-). I wouldn't own a "Hardly" if you gave it to me. Yes I ride a Honda Sport Tourer, wearing All The Gear All The Time. Ride Safe.
So what brings a die hard Honda rider into a Harley Topic to begin with?
Although I've owned a Honda or two in the past, I have had Harleys for the past decade or so and don't find a need or an interest to frequent Honda topics. I often wonder what it is that attracts people so dead against HD's onto any topic that discusses them. Could be one of two reasons, either you are motivated by jealousy cause you secretly want a Harley and can't afford one or you are simply just an a**hole who isn't actually "one of the nicest people you meet on a Honda". Ride what you want and wear what you want, but if you haven't got anything constructive to add to the topic then why not just sport tour on back where you came from.
No More Noise

AOL

#188 Jan 21, 2009
The new web site www.calmusa.org is there to finally examine why we tollerate these obnoxious motorcycle exhaust noise.

www.calmusa.org

Since: Dec 08

Milwaukee

#189 Jan 21, 2009
No More Noise wrote:
The new web site www.calmusa.org is there to finally examine why we tollerate these obnoxious motorcycle exhaust noise.
www.calmusa.org
No More Noise, Why don't you get a Fricking Life?? You and the rest of your Ilk can piss and moan all you want. Money talks and BS walks. This is America yet ,isn't it?? Don't you have anything else to do but complain about loud motorcycles. Christ, you whiney little Bit#@&@ make me laugh. I'm sooooo sorry were offending you, Boo Fricking Hoo. Stop your crying, move to Venezuelan you stinking Commie
reason

Reno, NV

#190 Feb 10, 2009
wow wrote:
I used to live near a HD bar. I didn't realize it when I moved in. Every night just after 2AM, I'd get woke up by those scumbags. Didn't matter if the windows were closed (they always were).
It's not about a "right not to be annoyed". It's about quality of life.
Yes, quality of life. I said it.
Explain to me why a scumbag HD rider has a right to ride by my vehicle and hurt my ears, and/or my daughter's ears. And yes, they really and literally do cause physical discomfort.
Explain to my why a scumbag HD rider has a right to wake me up, and render me miserably tired all day at work, because I can't always get back to sleep.
Can any scumbag HD rider honestly tell me they wouldn't mind if I fired up a gasoline leaf blower every night at 2AM, right outside their home? How about if I were to get 5 or 6 of my friends, and we all fired up gas leaf blowers, in unison? Would that be OK with you?
Would you just be "annoyed"?
It astonishes me how some idiots think people have no right to enact and enforce things like noise ordinances, while simultaneously thinking that they themselves have a right to be as loud as they want, whenever and wherever they want.
I bet lots of scumbag HD riders also hate smoking bans. I know, you have a right to smoke wherever you damn well please, and I have the "right" to either leave, stay with itchy eyes and contaminated lungs, or never enter such a bar or restaurant.
What kind of idiot buy a house next to a biker bar??

Go back to the village that is missing you.
Stuck in PC

AOL

#191 Feb 10, 2009
mattsnever wrote:
<quoted text>
Defensive Driving and Loud Pipes Save Lives!!!!
This is a complete and utter lie. You are ready for the Oprah show. You are spewing urban legend. You heard this silly legend at a rally while you were drunk and have been repeating it ever since without ever trying to logically decipher it. Any thoughtful person can easily spot your ignorance.
Grant

United States

#193 Apr 20, 2009
Yes...some bikes are to loud,those are the look at me!! look at me!! RUBBIES!
I have three Harleys, all have A/M pipes which are louder than stock,and have saved me on many occasions,with just a little pop of the throttle to get their attention.
You wanna talk NOISE?? I live in a small town with train tracks a few blocks away.So....all you whiners of loud noises please explain why trains blow air horns when nearing a intersection??
That's right!!!!TO GET DRIVERS ATTENTION AND TO WARN THEM OF AN APPROCHING TRAIN!!
Thank you..thank you very much
Frank

Winona Lake, IN

#194 Apr 24, 2009
It’s common for bikes to be loud .Unfortunately as energy prices rise more bikes are on the road and will only get worse bringing more noise to the population.
As this happens more people will complain and eventually there will be a court ordered summons handed to Harley Davidson for excessive noise and there will be forced into law a noise ordinance.

Or your bikes will be impounded on the 2nd offense. It sucks but this is the truth I own a harly fat boy and it’s not if it’s going to happen but when.

I have been Screamed at by mothers with their baby’s before and I can understand their situation but if the law allows loud as hell pipes then to hell with them, making them even louder and piss them off even more is what I say. I never realized just how many people hate the noise, I’m just waiting to get things throwed at me causing me to wreck so I can sue them.
Motorcycling dirt holes

Capitol Heights, MD

#195 Apr 25, 2009
You dirtbags running illegal pipes, 90% of you, are affecting the lives of so many people. It is completely obvious that you don't care about other people, but do you have any idea what the effects of noise pollution, exactly the type you generate, has on the hundreds of people you blast every time you ride, inside and outside their homes? Do you realize that your illegally modified bikes generate more air pollution than 20 to 30 automobiles.
Loud pipes don't save any lives (lots of easily available references on the subject), just destroys the lives of other people, assholes.
Motorcycling dirt holes

Capitol Heights, MD

#196 Apr 25, 2009
Oh yeah - to the many normal citizens who would like to take back their neighborhood from these sociopath homegrown terrorists, almost all motorcycles are illegally equipped according to long standing federal laws.

Simply have your city or county adopt regulations that require motorcycles use mufflers that comply with federal standards. You can find a thorough description of this here: www.noiseoff.org/pipes .

The advertisement by Harley dealerships says it all,“Maybe you just want that awesome earth-quaking, window-rattling exhaust that sets off car alarms as you ride on by. Want to make men dive out of the way and women grab their children and head inside and lock the doors? We can help with that too!”

What complete scumbags.
Tom

Tecumseh, Canada

#197 Apr 25, 2009
Motorcycling dirt holes wrote:
Oh yeah - to the many normal citizens who would like to take back their neighborhood from these sociopath homegrown terrorists, almost all motorcycles are illegally equipped according to long standing federal laws.
Simply have your city or county adopt regulations that require motorcycles use mufflers that comply with federal standards. You can find a thorough description of this here: www.noiseoff.org/pipes .
The advertisement by Harley dealerships says it all,“Maybe you just want that awesome earth-quaking, window-rattling exhaust that sets off car alarms as you ride on by. Want to make men dive out of the way and women grab their children and head inside and lock the doors? We can help with that too!”
What complete scumbags.
Hey, did you hear that they're tabling a new law to adequately muffle whining, weenie losers? If I were you, I'd be real careful the next time you pass a cop.:)
American Patriot

United States

#198 Apr 25, 2009
Write to your politicians etc.. and then maybe we will get these losers to put mufflers on their bikes.

“ALL GAVE SOME - SOME GAVE ALL”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#199 Apr 28, 2009
Over in Oakland they like it loud - so loud that all 45 of the Police Department's Harley-Davidson motorcycles have been equipped with shiny new tailpipes, at a cost of $500 apiece, to rev up their roar.
It seems the cops just didn't feel safe on toned-down bikes.
"There's an old motorcycle adage that you are heard before you are seen," said Deputy Chief Dave Kozicki, explaining the department's decision to toss the bikes' muted factory-issued mufflers in favor of the more high-volume pipes.
Kozicki cited an accident three months ago in which an Oakland officer riding a toned-down cycle was struck by a motorist who said he hadn't heard the officer approaching.
Oakland's cops had a long tradition of riding their Harley-Davidsons with the modified, louder tail pipes, earning them the nickname "Rolling Thunder." But after an officer complained about a loss of hearing and others around town questioned whether the police force was violating the very noise standards it was supposed to enforce, the department brass ordered a switch to the quieter stock mufflers.
According to Kozicki, the decibel drop sparked a chorus of complaints from other officers, who said they felt less safe.
So last year the department launched a $1,200 study in conjunction with the city's risk management division to determine whether A) the louder motorcycles contributed to officers' safety, B) were detrimental to their hearing, and C) complied with noise standards.
Kozicki acknowledged that whatever safety-related findings the study produced were largely anecdotal. Still, after everything was taken into consideration, the department concluded "it was in the best interest of the officers to put more-audible pipes back on," Kozicki said.
Hence, all 30 of the department's Harleys were sent down to the central maintenance yard for a muffler makeover, at a cost of about $15,000, according to City Hall insiders. Another 15 newly purchased motorcycles were ordered with the louder pipes, though at no extra charge.
Oakland officials acknowledge that the noisy pipes, when tested, averaged 93 decibels - well above the federal legal noise limit, according to the Motorcycle Industry Council.
But city Finance Director Bill Nolan, who oversees the risk management division, isn't alarmed.
"If they were riding eight straight hours, it would be a problem," he said. "But they aren't."
Matt

Calumet City, IL

#200 May 4, 2009
When I read some of the comments from the Harley owners it makes me kind of mad. I think it is those attitudes that will lead to laws. You can't say your freedom to make noise will not be taken away, look what happened to tobacco, land usage, firearms, airplanes, alcohol, car mufflers, unleaded gas, ect. Freedom to do what you want can only be protected through the responsible use of the freedoms we have. Do not for a moment think that you have a right to do anything you want and expect the rest of society to put up with it. If you don't change society will make you. History has shown this to be true.
Free is free

Kirksville, MO

#201 May 4, 2009
There are noise laws now. These track-only and other noisy exhausts do little more than annoy the heck out of those around us. I believe that if a certain subset of riders continues to flout noise regulations, we'll end up with no aftermarket exhausts even for track bikes, which is where I believe such exhaust systems belong.

I've been on bikes since I was 7 - about 40 years now. My current street ride has and will always have the OE exhaust. It's street-legal, very quiet and I like that. If I need to avoid an accident, I rely upon my skills, experience and ability to ride defensively - that's how you stay alive. Sure, I've had my share of near misses, but I really do not believe that making my street bike obnoxiously loud is the answer.

Not to bash on a particular style of bike, but I've owned and ridden everything from cruisers to tourers and now sportbikes. If you really want the razor-sharp handling that keeps you out from under a car's wheels, get a sportbike - and ride it like a sane person (keep the psycho riding on the track - that's where it belongs). They're not nearly as uncomfortable as they look - honest!
Rob

Carlsbad, CA

#203 May 16, 2009
mattsnever wrote:
Loud Pipes Save Lives!!!!!!!!!!
No, they don't. There are numerous studies (use Google). Most of the noise trails the bike and most bike-car collisions involve the car driver turning left in front of the bike.

The bike noise is infantile - a demand to be center of attention; to be noticed. Kind of like a bratty three-year old.
Rob

Carlsbad, CA

#204 May 16, 2009
NAM VET BIKER wrote:
It seems the cops just didn't feel safe on toned-down bikes. "There's an old motorcycle adage that you are heard before you are seen," said Deputy Chief Dave Kozicki, explaining the department's decision to toss the bikes' muted factory-issued mufflers in favor of the more high-volume pipes.
Note the use of the term "feel". Where's the evidence?

IMHO, most police motorcycle units are worthless. Most of the places I've lived, the motorcycles are a perk - used only on days with nice weather; never when it's wet, cold, hot - just on nice days.

CHP rides Beemers (cost being no object). But they are quiet (and look sharp).

http://www.virginiawind.com/byways/loud_pipes...
billy bob Harley

Camp Verde, AZ

#205 May 17, 2009
buy a real bike that will actually outrun cars, then there is no worry because nobody is near you. Plus, get a helmet so we don't have to pay for your brain dead asses when you end up in the hospital from coming home drunk from the queer bar
tabor

United States

#206 May 17, 2009
Eventually the public will get so fed
up with the loud lawbreaking harleys
that law enforcement will have to start
doing their job.
I write to congressmen and state reps
all the time to complain about loud
bikes.
Idiots

AOL

#207 Jun 2, 2009
You fool should learn a little about noise....it travels behind moving object. You already hit the truck before he heard you! The question if a motorcycle requires a excessivly loud exhaust system to be save then one would contend that it is an unsafe to be on the highway? Be careful what you use for your defense! In our town we have adopted ORC 4513.221 of the Ohio Revised Code that pertains to motorcycle exhausts. Motorcycles must have a Factory Installed Muffler or Equivalent! Stay out of Austinburg, Ohio! We faud that biker just go from bar to bar! Create a lot of noise and trouble and look like abunch of loosers! State codes are purposly writen to leave out the Phrase " Factory Installed Muffler or Equivalent" AMA and ABATE lobby and give money to polititions to keep this phrase out the law!
WWW.CALMUSA.ORG is the germ of a great web site.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Motorcycles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Road Pitch investors ride motorcycles into Brat... Jun 23 internet troll 1
News Missing Man's Family Hires Private Investigator (Apr '09) Jun 20 Out 57
When to Replace Wheel Bearings in Motorcycles Jun 12 Andybaby 1
News SC biker bar taking heat for t-shirts called 'r... Jun 5 Youballlicker 24
News Bikers pour into Salem (Jul '15) May '16 What about 3
DrumRoll May '16 Keith Digby 1
News Lifan Motorcycle Owners Unite! (Sep '07) May '16 albamoral 267
More from around the web