Harley-Davidson Tries To Quiet Motorcycle Noise - Loud Pipes' Cost

Jul 16, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Automotive

Jim McCaslin is President and CEO of Harley-Davidson Motor Company. In a message entitled "Something We Never Want to Lose" on his company's website, Harley-Davidson Motor Company President and CEO Jim McCaslin ...

Comments (Page 15)

Showing posts 281 - 294 of294
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Dec 12

Rockledge, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#341
Dec 16, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

I have had a few Harleys over the years and 2 custom choppers. They were all pretty quiet when I left the dealer. But did not remain that way very long because I would either change the exhaust or gut the mufflers out, the better it breathes the better it will run as any car truck motorcycle or moped that is naturally aspirated. That's why people will change out the air filters with the K and N filters, air intakes, exhausts, computer chips etc...because the government has so many laws for the car manufactuers to abide by that your vehicle is not doing the best it could because it has too much restricted airflow. Not to say that their isn't some big hairy smelly biker that revs his bike up to make alot of noise and such because he or she didn't get enough attention as a child. But that's not how all Harley riders are. So actually you might want to start a post about annoying people who always want attention instead of stereo typing.
Obama is the Messiah

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#342
Dec 29, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

What's the difference berween a harley and a woman?

On a woman, the pussee is on the bottom!

Instead of going to the gym I've been pushing over harleys for exercise. 20 years ago, I would've been killed. These fat poseurs pretend not to see me, or else I'd push them over, too.

Hell's Angels are rolling over in their graves over these dark denim dikheads.
Clay

Prospect, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#343
Jul 10, 2013
 
There vs Their.
I learned this in grammar school.
Get it..."grammar".
lawboxer

Alton, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#344
Jul 11, 2013
 
Dip stick, that's what the parts guys want you to think. You lose HP, and cut the MPG's in half. Do you really think that you're better at designing a vehicle than the manufacturer. The blip, where the cruise RPM is at, is a concern of the EPA, the motor runs lean there, after you start spraying the atmosphere with raw fuel, the blip will disappear. If what you say is true, then you believe in perpetual motion. Compression is where the power is, that's why there is different fuel. Compression also is a direct correlation to the amount of NOx in the atmosphere.
Peanuts

Hutchinson, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#345
Aug 23, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Obviously, this guy didn't see me driver through yellowstone in my pickup. It's a 2011 with straight headers. When I drive through walmart, car alarms go off. Had a old lady hold her fist in the air at me, because it's nice and loud.
Tom Kirth

Cedar Rapids, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#346
Sep 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Peanuts wrote:
Obviously, this guy didn't see me driver through yellowstone in my pickup. It's a 2011 with straight headers. When I drive through walmart, car alarms go off. Had a old lady hold her fist in the air at me, because it's nice and loud.
Yeah, you're just a nerd with a small wang. You make a bunch of noise because no one would pay give a second thought to a loser like you otherwise. Seriously, if you were good at anything besides being annoying, you wouldn't bother with being a loud pipe geek.
Just saying...
Mr Giblets

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#347
Sep 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Nick wrote:
I don't own a car, but Harley's are consistently waking up me and my children as we try to sleep in our house. What did I do to deserve this? Where do Harley readers get the right to create noise pollution? If the only way you can feel safe is to infringe on other's rights, maybe try another mode of transportation.
IF you are in bed, HOW do you know they are Harleys? I have a Honda Shadow with straight-thrus and it is as noisy as any other bike with straight thru pipes. Those Harleys are going very slowly if you have time to leap from your bed and run to the window. Why so many that time of night? is there a gay club nearby?
lawboxer

Alton, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#348
Sep 30, 2013
 
Harley started it, yeah, the R&D dept. You know, that it will just be a matter of time before Harley folds, due to the fact that they CAN'T PASS clean air regs. YEah, air cooled=BAD, no DOHC Multi valve=BAD. I can tell by the degree of the cylinders, flat trackers, have them fire on the same revolution calling 'em "Twinkles" the remaining three revolution is to regain traction. Honda's are louder especially on decel. You are not doing yourself any favors by modifying the exhaust. If you need other reasons for not modifying, let me know, and I'll tell you why.
Living free

Bangkok, Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#350
Oct 2, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

This guy who started this topic, must be having issues. All the things to complain about. Why not the people who throw trash in the park? or the campers that go to the bathroom and stink up the park with human waste.

Sounds like you see Bikers living life on the high side and your pissed off your life sucks.

nobody really cares about what your saying. when it comes to noise pollution there are better places to point the finger.

I sense your suffering from a bit of jealous rage. Grow up and get yourself a life and quit getting mad every time you envy the life of a Biker.
Tom Kirth

Cedar Rapids, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#351
Nov 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Living free wrote:
I sense your suffering from a bit of jealous rage. Grow up and get yourself a life and quit getting mad every time you envy the life of a Biker.
The thing is... No envies you. Your bike is slow. Your riding position looks like you're trying to give birth. Monkey bars are for nerds that don't turn corners. Everything that makes a bike exciting your Hardley Ableson fails at spectacularly: performance, handling, etc.

All you can do is make noise; all bark and no bite. That sums up you and your bike.
Hombre

Saint Charles, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#352
Dec 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

mulderdog wrote:
Best new I've read in months.
Greetings Sir I have several bikes & one of those emits your Harley noise while the other two are as quite as Whispering Smith. Before I go any farther let me explain that the ear plugs are not used to muffle the exhaust sounds but rather the wind & sounds of the road.Get out on the interstate & move along with traffic with all you windows down & just try to carry on a normal conversation or even listen to the radio.Close your eyes & let someone pull next to a tractor trailer & then tell me if it is a motorcycle or a truck. The sound of the tires on the road is enough to break your ear drums.Hence the ear plugs. Have someone drive you through a busy city while you are blind folded with all windows down. You will be amazed at how extremely loud this world we live in really is.Now to address your point of being in the outback for some solitude.A 1/2 mile away from traffic is not solitude. A little inconvenience for you sir is ok in my books compared to the safety of those riders. We live in a world where bigger is better or mightier therefore a person driving a cage will pull out in from of a motorcycle rider because they are bigger & to heck with the personal danger of the motorcyclist.
Tom Kirth

Cedar Rapids, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#353
Dec 4, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Hombre wrote:
<quoted text>A little inconvenience for you sir is ok in my books compared to the safety of those riders.
Safety?

All The Gear, All The Time... Not something you see the typical chrome lawnchair jockey following. Nope, they're more worried about wearing their Hardley Ableson approved bandana, t-shirt, and jeans. Bright colors, or reflective strips, improve your safety by increasing your visibility too. Plus, if you need to make a little additional noise, there's this little invention called a horn.

Not to mention those ridiculous "monkey bars" don't help the maneuverability of their bikes, much less the curbside posers that drive choppers (huge turning radius), or bobbers (no rear suspension).

So, yeah, the "I'm just trying to be safe" argument doesn't fly when those people are obviously doing everything the opposite of it. If you're too scared to drive a bike that doesn't annoy everyone around you, stick to a cage.
Motorcycle Partner

Columbus, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#355
Apr 11, 2014
 
Meet Harley Davidson Motorcycle Riders-http://bikerdatingsingl e.tumblr.com/
phile

Rochester, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#357
Wednesday Jul 16
 
You are entitled to your own opinion , so do me a favor and keep it to yourself ,Nancy. Thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 281 - 294 of294
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Motorcycles Discussions

Search the Motorcycles Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Lifan Motorcycle Owners Unite! (Sep '07) Jul 17 Seba 226
If you want to see a motorcycle parade, here's ... Jul 15 Bell 1
Bob Saget! Tourettes Guy is Dead (Nov '07) Jul 11 jon-78 5
Tommy Hayden Doing Well (May '08) Jul 9 jkljkhfuf 6
A Review of the Yamaha Royal Star Venture Motor... (Jun '08) Jul 3 Cruise 48
Top 10 Value-For-Money Hondas Jun 29 Pankaj Parekh 1
Trucking to Disaster by Carl Icahn Jun '14 JonD 2
•••
•••