Auburn Harley-Davidson Dealership Closes

May 15, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TheKCRAchannel.com

Harley-Davidson/Buell of Auburn has closed down because of economic problems and may be sold to another owner, the business said.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 30 of30
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Fred_M

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

Judged:

Screw Harley. I own two Buells, a 2006 Lightning Long XB12Ss and a 2009 1125CR. And Harley completely f****d over Erik Buell, the 180 Buell Motorcycle Company employees (Americans, for you chest-pounding Harley types), and all of the Buell riders when they suddenly shut down Buell. It wasn't for economic reasons -- Harley doesn't even have numbers showing how Buell affected the bottom line. It was for petty, vindictive s**t involving Erik Buell and some top Harley management.

@Colt 911: You sure talk a lot about the size of other men's penises and getting their respect. You and I ride for different reasons. If you're not man enough to handle a 146hp Rotax-engined V-twin Buell, then stick with your Harley. If you think that dressing up like one of the Village People and riding an overweight, underpowered bike makes people respect you or think that you have a big penis, you have fun with that, sport.

Regarding the current dominance of flat track, you picked a sport where the Japanese and Italians choose not to compete. When Yamaha fielded the TZ700/750, they kicked Harley's ass so bad that the AMA banned the bike. In the mid 80s, Honda came out with the RS750 flat track bike, and proceeded to get the championship in '84,'85,'86, and '87 before dropping out (having proved they could enter a sport Harley was in for decades and snatch the crown away).

Drag racing? Maybe you better look at the records:

http://www.amadragbike.com/news/templates/cla...

See all of the Suzukis and Kawasakis? Where are all of your Harleys that you claim are better at the drag strip?
Colt 911

Bloomington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

Fred_M wrote:
Screw Harley. I own two Buells, a 2006 Lightning Long XB12Ss and a 2009 1125CR. And Harley completely f****d over Erik Buell, the 180 Buell Motorcycle Company employees (Americans, for you chest-pounding Harley types), and all of the Buell riders when they suddenly shut down Buell. It wasn't for economic reasons -- Harley doesn't even have numbers showing how Buell affected the bottom line. It was for petty, vindictive s**t involving Erik Buell and some top Harley management.
@Colt 911: You sure talk a lot about the size of other men's penises and getting their respect. You and I ride for different reasons. If you're not man enough to handle a 146hp Rotax-engined V-twin Buell, then stick with your Harley. If you think that dressing up like one of the Village People and riding an overweight, underpowered bike makes people respect you or think that you have a big penis, you have fun with that, sport.
Regarding the current dominance of flat track, you picked a sport where the Japanese and Italians choose not to compete. When Yamaha fielded the TZ700/750, they kicked Harley's ass so bad that the AMA banned the bike. In the mid 80s, Honda came out with the RS750 flat track bike, and proceeded to get the championship in '84,'85,'86, and '87 before dropping out (having proved they could enter a sport Harley was in for decades and snatch the crown away).
Drag racing? Maybe you better look at the records:
http://www.amadragbike.com/news/templates/cla...
See all of the Suzukis and Kawasakis? Where are all of your Harleys that you claim are better at the drag strip?
Fred I like to play the devils advocate it provokes peoples thoughts. Its easy to just say this sucks You took some time and effort to dispute what I said. Good job
Colt 911

Bloomington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

MotorMike you are a intelligent and a articulate person. HD is going to have a real hard time recovering.When people cant find jobs to live on their not going to buy a bike to play with. Also a lot of the dealers got cocky with the old waiting list mentality they chased people out the door thinking they'd be back because they were the only game.That left a bitter taste. As far as getting people back they need a real entry level bike like the Shortster or Rapido made in the U.S. of course
Fred M

Falls Church, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

Judged:

Colt 911, That was one hell of a decent response and I want to thank you for it.

I also agree with you about Harley's need to get a lightweight, inexpensive entry level bike out there. They need to get back to selling motorcycles and quit trying to sell a "lifestyle" to a bunch of white collar workers who dress up like pirates on the weekends. Something is very wrong when logo-covered clothing and fashion accessories take up 30% or more of the floor space at a "motorcycle dealer."

As you can tell, I am still bitter about the way that they handled Buell. The never allowed Buell to be sold side-by-side with the competition from Ducati, Triumph, Aprilia, and the Big 4 Japanese manufacturers. Instead, they put them in HD dealers where the sport bike riders didn't find them and where cruiser riders didn't like them. Then, instead of offering to sell all or part of Buell, they just shut it down. Why couldn't they let some manufacturer like Bombardier buy Buell and keep 180 proud, hard-working, talented Americans employed?

Now I'll talk about what's right with HD: They generally treat their customers very well. The support you can get on the phone from them exceeds anything I've seen from other manufacturers, and I've owned well over a dozen motorcycles. The quality of their controls and switches is really good compared to other brands. Their chrome holds up much better than any Suzuki I ever owned. The pricing for repair parts is very reasonable. The sales people are usually respectful and not high-pressure. The quality of construction is generally very good (even if I don't think a lot of their designs). They could do well, but they need to plot out a cradle-to-grave strategy that doesn't rely on peeling customers away from the Japanese bikes as the customers age.
Tin Man 2

New Baltimore, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2010

Judged:

Say what you will but Harley is GROWING market share, In this Financial recession Harley is Gaining even a bigger lead over its Imitators. The cruiser market is off by 63% while HD sales are off 40%, Do the math. Harley owners are the most loyal group of Riders in America. With Good reason.
who cares

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2010

A company that has managed to stay in business for over 100 years,,,must be doing something right. As for the Victory bagger,,,dont want a bike that looks like a spaceship,,,and depreciation is a BITCH! I like a few of the victory models, before my last purchase, went in to the local Victory dealer,,stood by one for 45 minutes, nobody ever came around,,,s i walked out,,never looked back.

My last bike was a japanese litre bike, it was enjoyable at triple digit speeds, terrible for 2-up riding, and after 3 years, it goes from a $12k purchase price, to a blue book value of $5k...wont make that mistake again....Oh,,,and everytime i walked in, there was somebody different behind the customer service counter.

Yeah, I think some harleys are overpriced. But when you buy a HD, you are getting more than just a motorcycle.

I ride with all different makes and models, i dont care what the guy or gal next to me is riding, i know we are both riding for the same reasons. To BE RIDING and putting all your stresses behind.

To all you riders...keep the rubber side down..to all you HD haters that dont even own a bike..Go rent one, bet it changes your life. to all the riders that have never ridden a harley, go test drive one of each model and keep an open mind.
LoveMyBusa

Canton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2010

Judged:

This only proves that you cannot fool reasonable people forever. Sooner or later, people see through the lies and marketing BS.
knckles

Blacksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Colt is correct the main reason the jap bike buyers cry Harley they can't afford one so its easy to cry and cut down these jap bike buyers are not honest most have never owned one or rode one much less maintain lone
Phil G

Placerville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

knckles wrote:
Colt is correct the main reason the jap bike buyers cry Harley they can't afford one so its easy to cry and cut down these jap bike buyers are not honest most have never owned one or rode one much less maintain lone
oh please.....The used market is so flooded with five year old harleys right now that anyone could pick one up.I don't hate harleys but anyone who picks a bike for performance is going to buy something other than a harley and you know it.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Harley-Davidson is cool motorcycle,there are many bikers love Harley-Davidson.
Bikerunity(.)net is a very good and serious biker dating site for bikers to share experience and find the relationship.Worth trying.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 30 of30
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Motorcycles Discussions

Search the Motorcycles Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Custom Yamaha XS650 (Feb '13) Mon Skeets 6
2008 Yamaha C3 Scooter Review (Jul '09) Mon brent 6
Motorcycle the Ho Chi Minh Trail Apr 12 SpongeBob 4
Harley-Davidson Tries To Quiet Motorcycle Noise... (Jul '08) Apr 11 Motorcycle Partner 293
Harley driven up by possibility Honda may buy it (Jun '07) Apr 11 Motorcycle Partner 303
Motorcyclist dies after hitting elk in Mesa County (Jul '13) Apr 11 Nelsonr 2
Trucking to Disaster by Carl Icahn Apr 7 SHYKORA PAUL arts 1
•••
•••
•••
•••