Harley-Davidson CEO got $6.4M pay pac...

Harley-Davidson CEO got $6.4M pay package in 2010

There are 67 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Mar 14, 2011, titled Harley-Davidson CEO got $6.4M pay package in 2010. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Harley-Davidson Inc. CEO Keith Wandell received compensation valued at $6.4 million in 2010, up 1 percent from 2009, when the executive spent only eight months on the job.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

Chalfont

York, PA

#41 Mar 17, 2011
Is Harley still in York, PA? Thought they moved SOUTH (no unions). I've been in a coma for the past three months from my boyfriend Kenny hittin' me on the head with a small frying pan; might I add, Chinese made, which broke. Bring me up to date! Thanks!
Native York

York, PA

#42 Mar 17, 2011
Wow, $1500 deductible, you think that is a lot. Most companies for opting for high deductible plans, some well over $2500 with out of pockets maxing out at close to $5000 in addition to 20% coinsurance and $50 copays and not to mention horrible prescription coverage. Some people do not have options as to what insurance they have as they take what their company opts to purchase for that benefit year. Many of us non Harley workers have been faced with high deductible insurance plans for years and we have all managed to survive. I guess now your starting to view life outside the box. You need to realize how fortunate you guys have been for years prior and welcome yourself to the new society.
Downtown Resident

Owings Mills, MD

#43 Mar 17, 2011
I was a union member about 15 years ago and was forced into being one. When I said I wasnt interested after taking the job I was told that if I didnt I would be working fewer hours and would get the garbage shifts(grave yard and weekend early mornings). I joined, PAYED THRU THE NOSE, watched as all the non union hourly employees got all the OT and I suffered. When I tried to leave the union I was told that by doing so I would be terminated, I gave my notice and was walked out the door immediately. The next day I re-applied for the same job, got the job, refused to join like I should have the first time and watched as the union guys took their 2 15's and a 30 I got about 15 hours a week of OT and laughed all the way to the bank.

Unions do several things, they cause seperation between employees, they cause the cost of benefits to increase, they shift jobs out of the area/country and they have driven this country into the ground. 50 years ago they had a place, today they do nothing but put cities, states and now the country into a financial hole that generations of Americans will pay for. Get over yourselves and take off the blinders. While you may have a false sense of security you are all limiting your own potential by settling for mediocrity.
Union Pushed thier luck

Elkridge, MD

#44 Mar 17, 2011
Does anyone remember the strike ? Yes you demanded more than the company could give. Now you end up with much less than the company could have given. Better luck next time.
Comrade Obama

Etters, PA

#45 Mar 17, 2011
gamble93 wrote:
dear "comrade obama" and "say no".... you just proved my point....what happened to us WILL happen to you.**IT rolls downhill.....you CHOSE to be self -employed, Obama..i chose to work for a company that made promises and broke them whem the recession hit.when i cant spend money, ii cant patronize your place of business....and to "say no" ...dont know when you were there and what you saw, but we work on a time frame and if we arent working, there's hell to pay( must have sloughed in on a factory tour on a saturday)...thank you dave!
My business is doing quite well in the recession. People are trying to save money so they are shopping around for the product that I service. Most people have to have it. It doesn't matter who they buy it from, I get my business. When the economy does better I just make a slight change in direction and I'm busy again. The best part is I don't need employees. I had almost 40 employees in a prior business venture. Even though most were good ones, it was still one headache after another.
gamble93

Lemoyne, PA

#46 Mar 18, 2011
so, COMRADE OBAMA, what is your business that you need no employees?????.....are you an un-employed pimp?
Screwed by HARLEY

York, PA

#47 Mar 18, 2011
Comrade Obama wrote:
It's amazing to me to read all these posts from people who think the company owes them something. It's real simple, you show up and work and the company pays you. End of story! Now if the company's smart, they will try to hold onto the better employees. That's what Harley's doing. They got rid of the dead weight and now they're making a profit! If you work hard and are worth what you're being paid, you don't need a union. After all unions in America have driven the cost of labor so high that companies now do as much as possible over seas.
Old Comrade Obama if it was ONLY so simple… I agree HD did have to trim some excess dead weight in the unionized force but they also continued onto the Salary Force and the majority of the excessive dead weight you are referring to is not as it appears. Yes HD Management is getting rid of many senior qualified employees, including most white females with serious health problems then replacing some with contract people. Yes they are keeping the lazy junior less qualified female minorities many with disciplinary issues throughout their employment with Harley. So you see your thoughts on “if you work hard and are worth what you're being paid, you don't need a union” are totally BS……… If the Salaried Force were unionized the senior employees who actually worked throughout the years with HD would not be getting a screwing as they are now. Anybody in the know would agree with this, it’s only the “Monday Morning Quarterbacks” who truly do not know the inter workings at HD York…..

The MMQ’s do not realize the impact of reverse discrimination on senior employees and how the company screwed them in the end. Many who were close to retirement, now impacting their retirements benefits which they earned throughout their years making HD the company it is today. Yes they were the ones who worked hard in the early eighties, took pay cuts and put the extra time in to revitalize HD making it a world class company ONLY in the end to be SCREWED by the New Wave Management….

I truly hope HD gets theirs in the end and will pay out multi-millions from a class action suit and finally your statement “Now if the company's smart, they will try to hold onto the better employees.” Well buddy those are the ones they are letting go………….
sakbut

Summerville, SC

#48 Mar 18, 2011
m1inland wrote:
And they wonder why people are being layed off and loosing their jobs. NO BODY needs that much money to sit on his butt all day.
Could it be that it's because they can't read or spell?
"laid off" "losing" "NOBODY"
Comrade Obama

Etters, PA

#49 Mar 18, 2011
gamble93 wrote:
so, COMRADE OBAMA, what is your business that you need no employees?????.....are you an un-employed pimp?
Self employed/sub contracted! I'm an appraiser in the insurance industry. I've been an employee and an employer.
Comrade Obama

Etters, PA

#50 Mar 18, 2011
Screwed by HARLEY wrote:
<quoted text>
Old Comrade Obama if it was ONLY so simple… I agree HD did have to trim some excess dead weight in the unionized force but they also continued onto the Salary Force and the majority of the excessive dead weight you are referring to is not as it appears. Yes HD Management is getting rid of many senior qualified employees, including most white females with serious health problems then replacing some with contract people. Yes they are keeping the lazy junior less qualified female minorities many with disciplinary issues throughout their employment with Harley. So you see your thoughts on “if you work hard and are worth what you're being paid, you don't need a union” are totally BS……… If the Salaried Force were unionized the senior employees who actually worked throughout the years with HD would not be getting a screwing as they are now. Anybody in the know would agree with this, it’s only the “Monday Morning Quarterbacks” who truly do not know the inter workings at HD York…..
The MMQ’s do not realize the impact of reverse discrimination on senior employees and how the company screwed them in the end. Many who were close to retirement, now impacting their retirements benefits which they earned throughout their years making HD the company it is today. Yes they were the ones who worked hard in the early eighties, took pay cuts and put the extra time in to revitalize HD making it a world class company ONLY in the end to be SCREWED by the New Wave Management….
I truly hope HD gets theirs in the end and will pay out multi-millions from a class action suit and finally your statement “Now if the company's smart, they will try to hold onto the better employees.” Well buddy those are the ones they are letting go………….
Well, you don't need as many managers if you have fewer people to manage. You even nedd fewer if the workers left are the more productive ones.

As far as the discrimination goes, I doubt it. Sounds like a bunch of BS!
chumlee

Roxbury, PA

#51 Mar 18, 2011
Screwed by HARLEY wrote:
<quoted text>
If the Salaried Force were unionized the senior employees who actually worked throughout the years with HD would not be getting a screwing as they are now. Anybody in the know would agree with this, it’s only the “Monday Morning Quarterbacks” who truly do not know the inter workings at HD York…..
If the salaried employees were unionized, the union would fight for layoffs by seniority. When a company downsizes its engineering group and the least senior employee is accountant, the union would want them to keep an the engineer and train him to become an accountant, because the engineer has more seniority. Afterall, they are both qaulified. The engineer knows how to use a calculator!!! Just saying...
gamble93

Lemoyne, PA

#52 Mar 19, 2011
an insurance appraiser, eh, comrade? no wonder you know so much about screwing people out what they worked for!
Comrade Obama

York, PA

#53 Mar 20, 2011
gamble93 wrote:
an insurance appraiser, eh, comrade? no wonder you know so much about screwing people out what they worked for!
So you're one of those people who tried to commit insurance fraud and got caught, huh? Yep, that's what I do. I keep scum bags like you from driving up all the rest of our insurance costs. Insurance fraud is rampant and it's people like you who think they hit the lottery when they get to file a claim that cost the rest of us a fortune.
gamble93

Lemoyne, PA

#54 Mar 21, 2011
imagine.an insurance company person calling someone else a scumbag, especially one who calls himself " comrade obama"......btw, comrade, havent filed a claim in 20 years, so grow up
FLHXSE2

Newport News, VA

#55 Mar 23, 2011
That's $5000 per hour @ 8 months on the job.... and 11.5% of the LOSS in 2009. Corporate greed at its finest and fantastic pay for some very stupid decisions. HD is a SICK company and this proves the point well, it's not about motorcycles anymore. Us old timers who are loyal customers are raped to pay this sort of compensation to the CEO then the company treats us like red headed freckle faced children. I doubt seriously if I purchase another Harley - I'm finished with this kind of crap.
gamble93

Lemoyne, PA

#56 Mar 23, 2011
amen, flhx..i already cancelled my order
hogdog

Spring Grove, PA

#57 Mar 23, 2011
Wandell and the rest of the top level of management team get their motorcycles(mostly CVO's) free.
Say No to Baby Factories

Harrisburg, PA

#58 Mar 23, 2011
FLHXSE2 wrote:
That's $5000 per hour @ 8 months on the job.... and 11.5% of the LOSS in 2009. Corporate greed at its finest and fantastic pay for some very stupid decisions. HD is a SICK company and this proves the point well, it's not about motorcycles anymore. Us old timers who are loyal customers are raped to pay this sort of compensation to the CEO then the company treats us like red headed freckle faced children. I doubt seriously if I purchase another Harley - I'm finished with this kind of crap.
Maybe you can get a motorcycle that gets more than 20 miles per quart of oil and your driveway will change color from lack of oil dripping out of your hog onto it. Your wife may be disappointed though when her sexual release device is gone.
RU Kidding me

York, PA

#59 Apr 10, 2011
Downtown Resident wrote:
Mr Tierney, he didn't get a $200mil swing by giving union workers extra benefits and overtime. He did it by trimming the fat, getting rid of dead weight, breaking down the unions and making the manufacturing process more efficient. Do you know for a fact there weren't bonuses handed out? That raises weren't provided to those who proved their worth to the company? That temporarily layed off and furloughed employees weren't brought back? Maybe you were one of them, maybe you're a sore union employee who banked on the fact that you would be saved by big brother and you weren't. I dont know, but I know this, that man made that kindof money because he did his job and he saved a company, if you were in a position to do the same you would expect to be compensated for it just as he was.
He did what he had to do to swindle the union employees into signing a bogus contract. Tell it like it is and quit sugar coating. These union employees are the ones who increased the brand's value to what it is today and they certainly didn't deserve the whole heap of crap at one time which only amounted to union busting. On the other side of the coin you have what is anywhere else twelve dollar per hour assembly workers clocking almost $25/hr which is ridiculous. So how do you compromise? I agree no easy answer but the commonwealth's labor laws would be a good place to start. PA is not one of the right-to-work states and I don't see how employees of a company are mandated to join a union if the company has one, but they are. This is the bogus part in my opinion. Unions call this union busting. I only see it as a right to choose. Only allows political pandering and bloated pig unions at least as bad as their corporation counterparts in my opinion. No wonder businesses are leaving PA in droves. You can't blame greedy union workers though anymore than greedy CEOs. Though it couldn't feel good laying thousands off while buying a new personal helicopter to fly around in. I don't know, to some people maybe it does feel good (CEOs).
Say no to baby Factories

York, PA

#60 Apr 10, 2011
RU,
Do not break your arm patting yourself on the back. How could the union employees possibly increase the brand value? They are nothing but nut and bolt turners. If you want to point to someone that made them better, look to the college educated engineers that designed and set up the lines to produce the product. Any trained ape can put bolt "A" in hole "B". These union folks crack me up with their inflated sense of self worth. They can and have been replaced by very low paid people with no loss of production, what does that tell you? It tells me your "union" was as worthless as a fart in a windstorm.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Motorcycles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Volt Motorcycles - A New Name In Electric Motor... Apr 23 Solarman 1
News Mayor concerned about summer motorcycle rally i... (Apr '08) Apr 18 Mtkampin 31
News Motorcyclist cartwheeled through air after bein... Apr 11 Fred Steele 1
News Biker angered at huge repair bill after Harley ... (Sep '09) Mar '16 Brahma 56
News H-D Steadfast Helmet for Women Mar '16 glasspilot 2
News New Low Profile Windshield for Road Glide Mar '16 glasspilot 2
News Bodhi Edie Returning To Canadian Superbike Cham... Mar '16 Elise Gingerich 4
More from around the web