Business to Step Up?

Grand Strand business leaders have a less unfavorable view of the May and October Harley-Davidson motorcycle rallies than they do of Memorial Day Bikefest. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Against the Rallies

Longs, SC

#1 Jul 18, 2008
END the rallies - PLAIN and SIMPLE!
Question Authority

Murrells Inlet, SC

#2 Jul 18, 2008
Against the Rallies wrote:
END the rallies - PLAIN and SIMPLE!
See you at the fall rally.:)
Dave D

United States

#3 Jul 18, 2008
What is striking about the chamber survey is that a majority of the more than 400 survey respondents have either a neutral or a negative view of the Harley rally.
The is typical of the Sun News and its nice editor. Add the neutral to the positive views of the ralliess and you have a majority that are in favor.

Yellow journalism at its best.

Since: Jun 08

Myrtle Beach, SC

#5 Jul 18, 2008
"What is striking about the chamber survey is that a majority of the more than 400 survey respondents have either a neutral or a negative view of the Harley rally."

Doesn't neutral still mean neutral? Couldn't it have been reported that " a majority of the more than 400 survey respondents have either a neutral or a positve view of the Harley rally."? Stop with the spin already!

Since: Jun 08

Myrtle Beach, SC

#6 Jul 18, 2008
Hmmmmm....I must have moved to Loris.
Brian Hodgkins

Sun Prairie, WI

#7 Jul 18, 2008
I must disagree with Dave D. This is anything but yellow journalistm. If you read the survey results, it is clear that a majority want major changes, i.e. the status quo is NOT acceptable. 40% indicated they would prefer to see the rallies eliminated altogether; 24% indicated the rallies should be moved to another time of the year. Combined, that means 64% do not want rallies in May. Of the remaining 36%, 20% don't necessarily like the rallies, indicating we should just "grin and bear it". That leaves a measly 16% who think the rallies are a positive thing for the business community. 16%? That is not even 1 out of 5 businesses. Complex issue? Yes. Yellow journalism? Absolutely not. Most people want the rallies to go away or move to another date.
Citizens Must Step Up

AOL

#8 Jul 18, 2008
The first and primary duty of MB, NMB and Surfside city councils and Horry County council is to protect the safety and health of its citizen residents and their families. And to get rid of this public nusiance called biker rallies. Businessses can take care of themselves and do through such organiztions as the Chambers of Commerce.
Loud biker noise, traffic congestion and antisocial behovior - CRIME - must be eliminated. The best way to accomplish this is to stop selling government issued vendor permits. MB and Surfside have done this. Tell your county and NMB councilmen you want the vendor permits stopped. And that you want govenment's focus to be on law enforcement, not fostering lawlessness by issuing vendor permits.
Tell them you will not let this issue fade away and that you will remember who worked for and against family neighborhoods come election time.
Residents of NMB

Laurinburg, NC

#9 Jul 18, 2008
Brian Hodgkins wrote:
I must disagree with Dave D. This is anything but yellow journalistm. If you read the survey results, it is clear that a majority want major changes, i.e. the status quo is NOT acceptable. 40% indicated they would prefer to see the rallies eliminated altogether; 24% indicated the rallies should be moved to another time of the year. Combined, that means 64% do not want rallies in May. Of the remaining 36%, 20% don't necessarily like the rallies, indicating we should just "grin and bear it". That leaves a measly 16% who think the rallies are a positive thing for the business community. 16%? That is not even 1 out of 5 businesses. Complex issue? Yes. Yellow journalism? Absolutely not. Most people want the rallies to go away or move to another date.
I suggest you read, re-read or re-analyze the results of the survey. Your interpretation is far "off base". Also, if you’re going to "round-off" the %s (which don't need to be) do it fairly.
Logic

Chambersburg, PA

#10 Jul 18, 2008
Brian Hodgkins wrote:
I must disagree with Dave D. This is anything but yellow journalistm. If you read the survey results, it is clear that a majority want major changes, i.e. the status quo is NOT acceptable. 40% indicated they would prefer to see the rallies eliminated altogether; 24% indicated the rallies should be moved to another time of the year. Combined, that means 64% do not want rallies in May. Of the remaining 36%, 20% don't necessarily like the rallies, indicating we should just "grin and bear it". That leaves a measly 16% who think the rallies are a positive thing for the business community. 16%? That is not even 1 out of 5 businesses. Complex issue? Yes. Yellow journalism? Absolutely not. Most people want the rallies to go away or move to another date.
YOU ARE WHACKED

Do whatever is necessary to eliminate Bike Week(s)
Yes | 38.3%(90)
No | 61.7%(145)

Work with vendors and promoters to accommodate the bikers
Yes | 56.5%(131)
No | 43.5%(101)

Should your chamber support efforts to:
Downsize the rallies | 12.7%(30)
Eliminate the rallies | 33.8%(80)
Support and improve the rallies | 48.9%(116)
Take no position | 4.6%(11)
Big Bug

Newport News, VA

#11 Jul 18, 2008
I don't believe that Myrtle Beach wants to chase away the money that is spent at the rallies. Since coming to the rallies, I have now started bringing my family to Myrtle Beach at other times. With all the hotel and eating out Etc: I spend big $$$ every year there. If I am not welcome during Bike Week, then I feel I am not welcome anytime and can take my $$ elsewhere. Va Beach, Hilton Head is looking good these days.
Robin Hood

Alpharetta, GA

#12 Jul 18, 2008
Citizens Must Step Up wrote:
The first and primary duty of MB, NMB and Surfside city councils and Horry County council is to protect the safety and health of its citizen residents and their families. And to get rid of this public nusiance called biker rallies. Businessses can take care of themselves and do through such organiztions as the Chambers of Commerce.
Loud biker noise, traffic congestion and antisocial behovior - CRIME - must be eliminated. The best way to accomplish this is to stop selling government issued vendor permits. MB and Surfside have done this. Tell your county and NMB councilmen you want the vendor permits stopped. And that you want govenment's focus to be on law enforcement, not fostering lawlessness by issuing vendor permits.
Tell them you will not let this issue fade away and that you will remember who worked for and against family neighborhoods come election time.
Each vendor permit puts $800 into the government treasury. Where is the money going to come from to replace the lost revenue if they follow your plan? Where is the money going to come from to pay for the "increased" law enforcement called for in your plan?

Can we say "more taxes"?-- or is there something in your plan that we overlooked?
Larry

Fayetteville, NC

#14 Jul 18, 2008
Ban the bike rallies!

Enough said.
Robin Hood

Alpharetta, GA

#15 Jul 18, 2008
Larry wrote:
Ban the bike rallies!
That can't be done
http://www.myrtlebeachbikeweek.com/
Larry wrote:
Enough said.
Say some more
Residents of NMB

Laurinburg, NC

#16 Jul 18, 2008
Doctor Razz wrote:
I think it is obvious that most every business, if they could replace every dollar, would want a different type of tourist. They just fear that there is no way to bring that many tourists here in May as everyone is in school. So they put up will all the "baggage" to make their money. I don't blame them, as a business all they want is their bottom line.
But once they don't allow any types of permits in May, they are toast. This means no special permits for anything Memorial Day related, any type of veteran thing or any other type of celebration. All or none and that still could bring lawsuits.
Once again, goes to show how hick Horry County and their "leaders" are.
"Doctor Razz", I still think you need a doctor!
Residents of NMB

Laurinburg, NC

#17 Jul 18, 2008
Larry wrote:
Ban the bike rallies!
Enough said.
Keep the Bike Rallies!
Residents of NMB

Laurinburg, NC

#18 Jul 18, 2008
It's ashamed that a true poll can not be taken of the "voting" residents of Myrtle Beach. It is getting more and more obvious that the "Moral Majority" are neither!
Hangin at the beach

Murrells Inlet, SC

#19 Jul 18, 2008
Against the Rallies wrote:
END the rallies - PLAIN and SIMPLE!
So stay in Conway
Robin Hood

Alpharetta, GA

#20 Jul 18, 2008
Residents of NMB wrote:
It's ashamed that a true poll can not be taken of the "voting" residents of Myrtle Beach. It is getting more and more obvious that the "Moral Majority" are neither!
Just as the public cannot "vote" on who can (and who cannot) spend their money at Home Depot, the public cannot "vote" on who can (and who cannot) spend their money at a beachfront hotel.

Both companies have mortgages, taxes up the wazoo, and bills to pay. This requires customers to spend money for their goods and services. Vote away the customers, and you can kiss the businesses goodbye.

Myrtlecycle Beach would become a year-round ghost town in a hurry.
HunterLady in SC

United States

#21 Jul 18, 2008
On the subject of this questionnaire, I like Mark Twain's comment:
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
You must look at the questions of any survey, i.e., who is asking the questions, how they are phrased, and who they are aimed at. Surveys and statistics can be made to say anything you want.
Glenn

Greensboro, NC

#22 Jul 18, 2008
Robin Hood wrote:
<quoted text>
That can't be done
http://www.myrtlebeachbikeweek.com/
<quoted text>
Say some more
Wow, judging from this web page the local businesses are lining up in droves to support the rallies and welcome the bikers. Enough said, keep the rallies, suck it up locals, quit crying, learn to love it or move elsewhere, HA HA. Anything else???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Motorcycles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lifan Motorcycle Owners Unite! (Sep '07) Sun billy 230
Motor Trike Announces Trike for Triumph Rocket ... Sep 27 BeHereNow 2
Ryan Villopoto wins AMA Supercross; local sport... (Feb '10) Sep 27 george 5
Joe's Minibike Reunion 2014 is Coming on Septem... Sep 21 Bob 1
Biker gear shown off in Bikes on the Bricks fas... Sep 17 omid 1
Patterson doubles up in Atlanta National Dragst... Sep 16 kyyopmxz 1
Facing a demographic dead end, bike manufacture... Sep 14 bill 1

Motorcycles People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE