Sikh motorcyclist challenges turban ban in Canada

Feb 16, 2008 Full story: Toronto News.Net 21

“Roads and riding a motorcycle are something that is available to everybody in Ontario provided they wear a helmet. But that condition makes it impossible for Mr. Bedesha and everybody of the Sikh religion. That amounts to discrimination.”

Toronto News.Net Saturday 16th February, 2008 A Toronto area Sikh, who was fined for driving a motorcycle without a helmet, has taken his battle to court for his right to wear a turban. via Toronto News.Net

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
A motorcycle rider

Port Elgin, Canada

#1 Feb 19, 2008
Enough is enough is enough.

First of all, only idiots ride motorcycles without helmets. One smack of your noggin on the ground and it will split like a ripe melon.

Second, helmets are Canadian law. Period.

If you want to ride a motorcycle, wear your turban UNDER your helmet, or wear it OVER your helmet, or get a helmet that LOOKS like a turban, but wearing a helmet is THE LAW. Period. So get over it.

And enough of this whining and bullying garbage.
PAUL SHYKORA

Calgary, Canada

#2 Feb 21, 2008
HEY!!Dhis time I'S on OUR'' COPS side,too booot!! Obey--OUR ''ROAD-LAWS''..Simple,EH??!!GO D Bless.. The hillbilly farmboy has spoken..
singh

Brampton, Canada

#3 Mar 10, 2008
dear guys,
no one of you getting hurt by someone's motorride and it is not a big thing for sikhs and they will change that. it is already changed in british columbia and calgary manitoba England India and next ONTARIO.
WITH WARM WISHES
SINGH CANADA
stan cook

Barrie, Canada

#4 Mar 12, 2008
Fellow motorcycle riding friends recently brought this article to our attention, and my girlfriend and I, who both ride motorcycles, are apaulled that the the Human Rights Commission would be behind yet another attempt to scream discrimination (this term is severely over used) in order to mould our country's laws to suit their personal or religious desires. If this person who received this ticket for riding without a helmut is unable to ride safely and within the paramaters of our province's laws, while attending to his his religious beliefs,(ie. wearing his turban) then he must make the decision between the two.(ie. ride with a helmut or not ride) If he has a motorcycle accident and ends up needing to be taken care of for the rest of his life, due to his not wanting to wear a helmut, is he willing to sign a waiver so that the rest of Ontario's citizens are relieved of the cost? What insurance company would even cover him? If he wears a religious sword and it is difficult to wear along with a seatbelt, is he exempt from that also? I think that I speak for the majority of Canadian citizens when I say that we are beyond exhausted at the efforts of people who try to manipulate and bend this country's rules, traditions, government, etc. to suit themselves, and yet again 'in the name of religion'. Perhaps this man should re-think his decision to live in Canada, since it sounds like there is a conflict of interest, and so that he is better able to maintain a balance between the things that he'd like to do while being 'sincere' to his religion. We feel that the tolerance level of long time Canadians has pretty much reached it's limit thanks to the self serving changes that relatively new, or new persons to this country have been after. We are truly fed up, and the Human Rights Commission should remember the other citizens' rights, such as the right NOT to have OUR traditions, laws, and OUR religious beliefs CONTINUOUSLY INTERFERED WITH!
Jack Bedesha

UAE

#5 Mar 30, 2008
Please understand the religion before making a comment, look up at Sikh web sites
joe rider

Brampton, Canada

#6 Apr 5, 2008
time for me to join these sikh dudes, i hate wearing my helmet, for 30 years i have been riding to America, to experience the freedom of ridin' with no helmet.The fight for 'LET THOSE WHO RIDE, DECIDE' has fallen on deaf ears here. We should have seen this religous angle years ago... Now, which temple should i join. What colour should my new turban (bandana) be? How much are the monthly dues?
Chzyrider

Portland, OR

#7 Apr 6, 2008
Let those who ride decide !! This is not a religious or a safety issue, but rather an issue of FREEDOM OF CHOICE !! Mandated attire is not something the law should be stipulating. If we allow it to continue, where will it stop? When we are required to addorn ourselves with football padding, or worse yet..a full midieval suit of armor? A better way is by educating the public by improving public awareness of motorcyclists' rights, and funding/mandating rider (driver) training to reduce the number of motorcycle related injuries and fatalities commonly due to negligence on the behalf of cage (car/truck) drivers. I've been riding for over 30 years. A motorcycle does not scare me, you do, when you are driving!!
Pereira

Milton, Canada

#8 Jun 5, 2008
Jack Bedesha wrote:
Please understand the religion before making a comment, look up at Sikh web sites
Are you referring to - once a turban is on - one must keep it on?
If that is the case - then stick to driving a car and not a motorcycle - SIMPLE!
paul shykora

Calgary, Canada

#9 Jun 21, 2008
SPRING into SUMMER....I's..'''support''' the law and our ...Canadian Police Forces,toooo booot!!!!...eh..Thankyous'All! !GOD Bless!!The hillbilly farmboy has spoken..now STAMPEDE yodeling......eh....
Aleks

Brampton, Canada

#10 Jun 21, 2008
Oh, please. Stop the "let those who ride, decide" and religious nonsense. Next thing you know you'll have drivers deciding not to wear seat belts in their cars because they're "uncomfortable". This needs to stop. I don't care how much of a rebel you are, restrictions need to be imposed.

It's the same reason why we stop people from committing suicide. Or do you want to try a "let those who live, decide" kind of thing for this, as well? Listen, the helmets, seat belts, and other safety devices are there for a reason. They're for YOUR safety. So if an accident does happen, you don't end up causing a fortune, and using the tax payer's money to fix the mess you've caused. I couldn't care less for the Sikh's religious bigotry. If you don't like it, you're free to move.
ms oshawa

Oshawa, Canada

#11 Jun 22, 2008
let him buy every local emergancy worker a shove first.....then let him ride with no helmet.Atleast this way he`s equip the responders with the tools needed to scrap his brains off the road for the rest of us
paul shykora

Calgary, Canada

#12 Jul 2, 2008
LET IT Be the ...LAW....tooooo booot!!!!....eh....
Governor

Irvine, UK

#13 Feb 12, 2010
Jack Bedesha wrote:
G-3-05 what do you know old man??? Az
John G

Stoney Creek, Canada

#14 Feb 24, 2010
You come to Canada, you obey OUR LAWS!!! If you can't, then bugger off back to your own country. I am sick to death with all these people coming here and taking advantage of our human rights charter and screaming DISCRIMINATION every time they can't get their own way. It's total B.S.!!! Look at our laws BEFORE coming here you idiots.
B-town

Windsor, Canada

#15 Feb 27, 2010
Well John G, with all due respect brother, the Charter was created for the purpose of equality. Its meant to be a tool, and if people are able to use it, then it's a good sign that we are still a free country. Though I do think motorcyclist have bigger things to worry about than their helmet. As a rider myself, I'm more scared of other drivers.

It's not like non-citizens can come and do this. Only citizens are obviously allowed to change it.
Although I do think Sikhs have different alternatives to Turbans in order to wear a helmet. They can wear a bandanna for example underneath.

Johnson

Brampton, Canada

#16 Nov 29, 2010
Dumb people passing their judgement...Let tge courts handle this issue...I have full trust in canadian laws.

Sikhs are amazingly friendly ppl...no need to be racist.
M-A Quessy

Montréal, Canada

#17 Nov 29, 2010
Ohhh what a load of bull! A lot of us Canadians are really fed up of this crap.

Like the Mountie with a turban.... They changed the dress code for M. Sikh and now a thousand Mounties hats and one turban.

It's a safety issue not a religious issue. Anyone that has crashed a bike will tell you that their helmet either saved their life or prevented much more serious injuries. Helmet less riders are much more likely to end up as organ donors. A turban is not a helmet.
Johnson

Brampton, Canada

#18 Nov 29, 2010
M-A Quessy wrote:
Like the Mountie with a turban.... They changed the dress code for M. Sikh and now a thousand Mounties hats and one turban.
It's a safety issue not a religious issue. Anyone that has crashed a bike will tell you that their helmet either saved their life or prevented much more serious injuries. Helmet less riders are much more likely to end up as organ donors. A turban is not a helmet.
Fair enough but are you saying you don't trust the laws and justice system of this country? You won't trust the decisions taken by the courts? This is a democractic country and if you don't agree with a law, you can challenge it and then let the court decide what is more important.

Not trying to side with anyone here but just saying let the law decide. If the courts decide that sikhs must wear helmet then thats it. Sikhs should obey the law. But if the court decides otherwise then thats good too cuz there must be a reason.

Just stop the whinging all of you.
Johnson

Brampton, Canada

#19 Nov 29, 2010
M-A Quessy wrote:
You may well be correct about safety first as far as the motorcycle turban law is considered. But a sikh wearing a turban in RCMP will not put anyone in danger and its the ultimate victory of the charters of right and freedom. Kudos to the canadian government!
Samuel Powell

Ottawa, Canada

#20 Dec 14, 2010
Let Sikhs have the right to practice their own religion. If you want Sikhs not to wear turbans you might as well take away their right to free speech as well. While you're at it tell the Christians to stop hanging crosses everywhere and to take the fish bumper stickers off their cars. Oh and stopping the Jehovah witnesses knocking on my door telling me to "be saved" would be nice. Surely that comes under disturbance of the peace. The law has spoken on Turbans and motorcycles, end of discussion. Thank you for your time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Motorcycles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Harley-Davidson Open House Day in Bahrain invit... 3 hr MOMIN ANSARI 2
How Indian and Victory Could Outrace Harley-Dav... (Nov '13) Wed bay1943 9
Lifan Motorcycle Owners Unite! (Sep '07) Oct 26 Don-Moses 232
Roland Mack, The Most Interesting Man in East D... (Jan '14) Oct 25 southbronx 2
Biketoberfest roars to life in Daytona Beach an... Oct 21 hummingbirddraago... 4
A Review of the Yamaha Royal Star Venture Motor... (Jun '08) Oct 11 v rider 49
Motorcycle event continues to come together (Apr '12) Oct 10 j. hoffa 13

Motorcycles People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE