Myanmar Seizes UN Aid Supplies

Myanmar Seizes UN Aid Supplies

There are 14 comments on the WXIA Atlanta story from May 9, 2008, titled Myanmar Seizes UN Aid Supplies. In it, WXIA Atlanta reports that:

Myanmar's military leaders seized aid shipments headed for cyclone survivors and told the top U.S. diplomat there Friday that they're not ready to let in American aid workers despite warnings the country is on ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WXIA Atlanta.

J-Nam

Caldwell, NJ

#1 May 9, 2008
I believe we could send in an armed security force to accompany the relief supplies inland. Screw the local government!!
As it is, if we allow them to do it themselves as they say they will, I guarentee it will never get done.
Nelson

Decatur, GA

#2 May 9, 2008
The aid will probably go the same route a lot of aid goes in countries like this. The miltary seizes it and provides the large portion to the military(to stay in power) and another portion gets sold on black market.
Frank

Monroe, GA

#3 May 9, 2008
Nelson wrote:
The aid will probably go the same route a lot of aid goes in countries like this. The miltary seizes it and provides the large portion to the military(to stay in power) and another portion gets sold on black market.
Best answer I've heard today. Even on the live news forecasts you can see that they (Gov & Military)are up to no good, I hate to say it, but I believe tens of thousands are going to stave to death or die from disease even though food and medicine are but within an arms reach.

“Obongohead Loves You!”

Since: Nov 07

United States

#4 May 9, 2008
If these people don't want the billion$ in US aid they don't want it so don't send it. Use the money instead to provide gas price relief for us here in the USA! The out of control price of gas is equivalent of getting hit by a major natural disaster. WE NEED THE HELP NOW!
Greg

United States

#5 May 9, 2008
Luek wrote:
If these people don't want the billion$ in US aid they don't want it so don't send it. Use the money instead to provide gas price relief for us here in the USA! The out of control price of gas is equivalent of getting hit by a major natural disaster. WE NEED THE HELP NOW!
perspective
JCD

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#6 May 9, 2008
It's their military government. Sending in force is a bad idea.

"Myanmar's military leaders seized aid shipments headed for cyclone survivors and told the top U.S. diplomat there Friday that they're not ready to let in American aid workers despite warnings the country is on the verge of a medical catastrophe."
J-Nam wrote:
I believe we could send in an armed security force to accompany the relief supplies inland. Screw the local government!!
As it is, if we allow them to do it themselves as they say they will, I guarentee it will never get done.

Since: Feb 08

Atlanta, GA

#7 May 9, 2008
Luek wrote:
What does that tell you about America's reputation ?

By the way, it's the UN (as in United Nations) not just the US.

“Obongohead Loves You!”

Since: Nov 07

United States

#8 May 9, 2008
The Real Salaamie wrote:
<quoted text>
I really don't understand what you are saying. However, With the price of gas the way it is here in the US I could not care LESS if Myanmar gets not one cent of US aid. Also, couldn't care less about the UN. Charity begins at home!
JCD

Location hidden

#9 May 9, 2008
The UN gets the bulk of their support like food aid from the USA. OPEC based countries provide almost zero assistance. What does that say about the governments of those nations?
The Real Salaam wrote:
<quoted text>
JCD

Location hidden

#10 May 9, 2008
Also, the USA is the most generous nation on Earth in terms of food and economic aid. [email protected] we even feed our enemies like the North Koreans. Of course, there will always be people like you who don't like the USA for anything. But the PEOPLE of the USA are better and more decent than the government of Myanmar. What sane government on Earth would starve its own people unless it is being used as a weapon against them. Go figure.
The Real Salaam wrote:
<quoted text>

Since: Feb 08

Atlanta, GA

#11 May 9, 2008
JCD wrote:
Also, the USA is the most generous nation on Earth in terms of food and economic aid. [email protected] we even feed our enemies like the North Koreans. Of course, there will always be people like you who don't like the USA for anything. But the PEOPLE of the USA are better and more decent than the government of Myanmar. What sane government on Earth would starve its own people unless it is being used as a weapon against them. Go figure.
<quoted text>
Don't know if I agree with that.

The USA is one of the wealthier countries therefore it's only human that we make a decent donation. You wouldn't know that from Luek's statement though.

I also think that a country's government does have the authority to decide who can cross their borders - whether it's right or not.
tweetybird_

Huntsville, AL

#13 May 9, 2008
The Real Salaam wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't know if I agree with that.
The USA is one of the wealthier countries therefore it's only human that we make a decent donation. You wouldn't know that from Luek's statement though.
I also think that a country's government does have the authority to decide who can cross their borders - whether it's right or not.
The UN has been given the authority, by a treaty that all countries have signed, to air drop relief item like food, medicine, etc... even if the country refuses entry to the UN.

No one in the would would object if the UN did that.
A Skeptic Burmese

Penrith, Australia

#14 May 10, 2008
Chinese are now amassing the People Liberation Army on the border to cross into Burma if American navy or UN sends in the food and emergency relief planes into the cyclone affected Delta of Burma.(They did it whenever US fleet approaches Burma in the past crises.)

They have just rebuilt their listening radar station on the 2004-Tsunami-damaged Co Co Island just a few miles off the Irrawaddy Delta and they will protect their only startegic interest in the Indian Ocean.
JKM

Drummoyne, Australia

#15 May 10, 2008
Who cares about money and petrol, What's the death toll up to now?? 15-20 thousand?
All I can say if you were born in a country with military dictatorship the last thing you would be worried about is the price of petrol.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ye, Burma Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Democratic Voice of Burma: Government to transf... (Nov '12) May '15 Le Cat 47
News Gloom at the inn (Dec '12) Dec '12 Trolls Inc 1
News Burma state-run newspapers plan to change into ... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Anti-colonialist 1
News Opinion: A Nobel Peace Prize #Fail (Oct '12) Oct '12 Anti-colonialist 5
News China Starts Focusing on Next Leader's Views (Oct '12) Oct '12 Burma Observer 1
News Free AIDS treatment for more foreigners (Oct '12) Oct '12 Aids tourist 1
News 85 Rohingya Boatpeople Land in Mon State (May '12) May '12 FEE 1
More from around the web