Tom Powers: Closer situation still a hot topic in Twins' clubhouse

Full story: TwinCities.com

This appears to be the best Twins ballclub since the 1991 World Series championship team.
Comments
1 - 18 of 18 Comments Last updated Apr 4, 2010
sfallsfan

Sioux Falls, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2010

Judged:

if the twins use revere or hicks in a trade, ill be so pissed. ive followed revere for a couple years now hes my favorite future twin. hes goinna be awesome for the twins. the best hitter theyll have next to mauer,, do not use him for a trade,,, period
Dacota

Winona, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2010

Judged:

Delmon Young inleft, Denard Span in center, Michael Cuddyer in right and Jason Kubel in reserve, with Cuddyer the "old man" of the group, yet still having several good year ahead. Revere isn't power hitter, which is obviously a benefit in Target Field and has no place to play (for years). TRADE HIM FOR BELL!!!
anokalooper

Willmar, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2010

Judged:

There is nothing more devastating in baseball than losing a lead in the ninth. It often means losing that game and another while the emotional health of the team heals. If a good closer is available and the person available will not be a miserable influence in the room, a prospect for the proven player is the right move to make. The Twins have four solid outfielders on their roster and Jacque Jones in wait. A prospect waiting for his opportunity in the Twins outfield is expendable. The time is now.

PS to Elvis- Eat a peanut butter/banana sndwhich and chill.
0-2E in 101st Airborne

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

Well put Tom. Excellent article as usual. I would say "as always" but you gave way too much attention to girling, er, curling during the olympics. Mea culpa.
Mike

Alexandria, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

Judged:

You'd like to keep Revere because he can hit, but he's not much of a fielder. However, Heath Bell is someone who would come thru not only this season, but next also. And who knows if Joe Nathan will be back...ever? He'll come back next year, but how effective will he be? And that's the last year of his contract. The Twins certainly aren't going to give him his ten million dollar option if they're not sure what they're getting.
chris123

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

Judged:

Talking about ten million dollar options, that's essentially what the twins would have with Heath Bell next year, as it is his last year of arbitration and he is expected to receive 8-10 million. He is not cheap. He is also no Joe Nathan. His average ERA over the last 4 years is 3.2. Joe's is 1.7. If we pay him, we don't pay someone else. On the other hand, we would have control of Revere and Hicks for 6 years, the first 3 years of each will only cost the twins 1.2 million TOTAL. Please see the value in this. Revere, although he currently has a poor arm, covers more distance in CF than anyone we've had besides gomez, so I wouldn't call him a "poor" defender just yet.
0-2E in 101st Airborne

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

Judged:

chris123 wrote:
Talking about ten million dollar options, that's essentially what the twins would have with Heath Bell next year, as it is his last year of arbitration and he is expected to receive 8-10 million. He is not cheap. He is also no Joe Nathan. His average ERA over the last 4 years is 3.2. Joe's is 1.7. If we pay him, we don't pay someone else. On the other hand, we would have control of Revere and Hicks for 6 years, the first 3 years of each will only cost the twins 1.2 million TOTAL. Please see the value in this. Revere, although he currently has a poor arm, covers more distance in CF than anyone we've had besides gomez, so I wouldn't call him a "poor" defender just yet.
I still think if you're gonna groom anyone to be a 2B-of-the-(immediate)-future, it's gotta be Revere. Weak arm, hits for average, small and agile. Sounds like a 2B to me if they move him. Otherwise you trade him while he's worth something. Just like Restovich was worth something once and was labeled "untouchable." We certainly don't need 3 catchers and 3 center fielders. When you have a viable trade piece and a big hole, you're reckless to stand pat and do nothing (personally I think we need a 3B more than a closer...Neshek should be closing).
Affula

Hugo, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

Judged:

I've been saying for two weeks... see what we can get for Glen Perkins and Aaron Hicks. You already have Span locked up, and would still have Revere. I was hoping for Frasor, but they're out of their minds if they want Liriano.
Affula

Hugo, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

Judged:

prospects don't always pan out. its time to make a move, and try to win the World Series THIS year. you're not going to have these opportunities forever.
plus, sfallsfan, lets not go overboard on Revere. according to baseball america, he's the fifth best prospect in the twins organization, and its not like Hicks is even considered a super prospect among the best in baseball (definitely not a top 20)...
anyone remember Brien Taylor, or a little closer to home, Adam Johnson?
Affula

Hugo, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

yea, the more I read around, its sounds like Hicks is the guy to keep, and Revere would be the guy to ship. but you've got to give up something to get something too...
brachiosaurus

Taunton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

The idea of Revere as a second baseman isn't a bad one. There must be a reason the Twins haven't tried something like that. Jacque Jones was unexpected in this year's equation. Revere, otherwise, would probably have been the call-up guy if the Twins needed an outfielder.

The Twins will have to give up top prospects to get a good closer. It's most important, however, that the Twins do not give up any of their top pitching prospects. Good pitchers and catchers are tougher to come by than outfielders.

It's a bit surprising that the Twins didn't keep one of the sharper kids like Slama around in the hopes that he might sparkle out of the bullpen. Slama doesn't overpower with velocity, but he has a good pitch selection. Mariana Rivera lives by his cutter, which is one of Slama's main pitches. The Twins should find a way to dump Condrey.
brachiosaurus

Taunton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

Correction (after seeing who the Twins kept with Condrey's going on the disabled list): Apparently the Twins did keep one of their young relievers aboard. Why wouldn't it have been Slama? What is it that the Twins don't like about his pitching? His velocity?
thatssotaguchi

Ballwin, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

Judged:

six years of revere is not worth sixty innings of heath bell buddy.
quigle bb

Eden Prairie, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

Only two problesems to overcome--the Red Sox and the Yankees-The Twinks would be one and done against either team
brachiosaurus

Taunton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

Judged:

thatssotaguchi wrote:
six years of revere is not worth sixty innings of heath bell buddy.
Health Bell might not be the answer, but how many seasons will Revere play in AAA before he can play full-time with the Twins? Span isn't going anywhere for a while. The Twins will probably try to extend Cuddyer. Kubel has an extension. If Young plays well, the Twins may try to hang on to him, too, and they have other outfield prospects coming up, like Hicks. Portes looked as if he might be able to provide some right-handed power. Maybe the guy to give up isn't Revere, but, as someone else said, the Twins can't keep every one and they are trying to make it to the World Series again.
TC Florida

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

The Twins have the most depth at catcher. Morales shows a lot of talent as does Wilson, and Butera might be a Redmond type for the next 5-7 years. So, convince either Toronto or San Deigo to take one of them for a closer, although shouldn't we give Rauch more than an off day to prove himself?
Mike

Saint Cloud, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

brachiosaurus wrote:
Correction (after seeing who the Twins kept with Condrey's going on the disabled list): Apparently the Twins did keep one of their young relievers aboard. Why wouldn't it have been Slama? What is it that the Twins don't like about his pitching? His velocity?
I don't think Slama or some of the others that pitched this weekend are on the 40 man roster. This other guy is.
0-2E in 101st Airborne

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

brachiosaurus wrote:
The idea of Revere as a second baseman isn't a bad one. There must be a reason the Twins haven't tried something like that. Jacque Jones was unexpected in this year's equation. Revere, otherwise, would probably have been the call-up guy if the Twins needed an outfielder.
The Twins will have to give up top prospects to get a good closer. It's most important, however, that the Twins do not give up any of their top pitching prospects. Good pitchers and catchers are tougher to come by than outfielders.
It's a bit surprising that the Twins didn't keep one of the sharper kids like Slama around in the hopes that he might sparkle out of the bullpen. Slama doesn't overpower with velocity, but he has a good pitch selection. Mariana Rivera lives by his cutter, which is one of Slama's main pitches. The Twins should find a way to dump Condrey.
Nice post. I totally agree. When they signed Condrey it struck me as odd given all of our pitching depth. Nothing against him personally, it just seemed like it road-blocked some of the boys in the minors from a deserved chance to take the next step.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Toronto Blue Jays Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Watch Toronto Blue Jays Online Aug 5 gecore 1
2014 Toronto Blue Jays Top Prospects: #1 Aaron ... Jul '14 Evette Velasquez 1
Jose Bautista picking the right moments to shin... Apr '14 jodi 1
SABR Day in Toronto - Saturday, January 25 (Jan '14) Jan '14 badtown 1
Dickey shuts down Yankees, Blue Jays win 2-0 (Sep '13) Sep '13 XFlushing Fan 1
New York Yankees: Time To Give David Huff A Sta... (Aug '13) Aug '13 vinniesr 2
Hot stove: Sox moves, Kerry Wood and more (Jan '12) Jul '13 willie 2

Search the Toronto Blue Jays Forum:
•••
•••