As Lee Remains Mum, Speculation Invol...

As Lee Remains Mum, Speculation Involves Phillies

There are 88 comments on the WFMZ story from Dec 13, 2010, titled As Lee Remains Mum, Speculation Involves Phillies. In it, WFMZ reports that:

While the New York Yankees and Texas Rangers waited for Cliff Lee to make a decision, speculation started that the Phillies might attempt to sign the pitcher who helped Philadelphia reach the 2009 World Series.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WFMZ.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
amazing

Grand Rapids, MI

#1 Dec 14, 2010
wow i guess brown better be ready to play every day.
DJP

Whitehall, PA

#2 Dec 14, 2010
Amazing pitching staff to have for the year if they all stay healthy.
Santa

Pleasanton, CA

#3 Dec 14, 2010
Christmas came early this year for all Phillies fans. Way to go Amaro you earned your money already this year. And the best part about this they stuck it to the Yankees.

MERRY CLIFFMAS PHILLIES FANS!!!!!!!

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#4 Dec 14, 2010
It's great to see a player select a team they want to play for instead of just chasing the money. Obviously, he liked what he saw in Philadelphia, and hopefully, it's even more fun this time around with the other members of the rotation. Let's just hope everyone stays healthy and the bats can stay consistent.
Phan

Northampton, PA

#5 Dec 14, 2010
Spit on his wife will ya NY ? Now you can go find someone else.
The Phillies will have THE most dominant pitching staff in baseball bar none in 2011.
Woody

Reading, PA

#7 Dec 14, 2010
New phrases heard around town:
The winning formula: LH2O
4 Aces: A winning hand in any game
Even I could play right field and have a chance to win.
ooo

Kernersville, NC

#8 Dec 14, 2010
This is news? ewwww
Cubsman

United States

#9 Dec 14, 2010
I guess the Yankees aren't the only ones buying championships now.
Drew

Whitehall, PA

#10 Dec 14, 2010
Cubsman wrote:
I guess the Yankees aren't the only ones buying championships now.
Lee came to the Phillies for less than what the Yanks offered him. The Phillies overall team payroll isn't nearly as much as the Yankees so your argument is pointless.
Yogi

Philadelphia, PA

#11 Dec 14, 2010
$100 million ????? You can`t be serious, the owners should hang their heads in shame, I thought the economy was so bad ??

“Zebra Girls Rule!”

Since: Jul 10

the Open Range

#12 Dec 14, 2010
It won't be the Yankees playing against the Phillies in the World Series, 2011...it'll be the Phillies vs. the Red Sox!
Welcome Back Cliff Lee!
GO PHILLIES!
-Jil
(a/k/a Evil Princess)
Cubsman

United States

#13 Dec 14, 2010
Forget the Yankees the Phillies fans prided themselves on "we don't buy championships". Not anymore. Then why go after these pitchers. Spending 50 million a year on 3 pitchers a pointless argument? BOUGHT BOUGHT BOUGHT!
richard

Reading, PA

#14 Dec 14, 2010
Cubsman wrote:
Forget the Yankees the Phillies fans prided themselves on "we don't buy championships". Not anymore. Then why go after these pitchers. Spending 50 million a year on 3 pitchers a pointless argument? BOUGHT BOUGHT BOUGHT!
WAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Phan

Northampton, PA

#15 Dec 14, 2010
Cubsman wrote:
Forget the Yankees the Phillies fans prided themselves on "we don't buy championships". Not anymore. Then why go after these pitchers. Spending 50 million a year on 3 pitchers a pointless argument? BOUGHT BOUGHT BOUGHT!
Like we're supposed to stop being fans now because they're spending some money. Considering we fans have sold out CBP for what, 130ish games now, I appreciate seeing my ticket money spent on the best talent out there when an opportunity arises. Your cubbies can do it your way, and maybe it'll be another 102 years til you win a championship.
Cubsman not Cubs man

Reading, PA

#16 Dec 14, 2010
First off the cubbies can do it their own way because I'm a Twins fan and Cubsman is my last name. Second be excited you have one of the best teams money can buy right up there with those damn Yankees. The "we won't buy our championship" talk is history. The days of complaining about the Yankees,Red Sox,Mets buying their teams for Phillies fans are over. Dick I mean Richard Philadelphia fans are the biggest whiners and crybabies on this planet. I'd rather wear a Yankees jersey go to NY and root for the Yankees than sit with a Philly fan acting like a 3 year old when their team doesn't win and I HATE the Yankees. Good Luck and Good Bye.

Since: Jun 07

Allentown Pa

#17 Dec 14, 2010
Devildog78 wrote:
It's great to see a player select a team they want to play for instead of just chasing the money. Obviously, he liked what he saw in Philadelphia, and hopefully, it's even more fun this time around with the other members of the rotation. Let's just hope everyone stays healthy and the bats can stay consistent.
Not chasing the money? The Yankees offered 150 over 7 years or 21.4 million a year. The Phillies contract is 120 million over 5 years, with an option for a 6th year if Lee pitches 200 innings in 2015 worth 27 million. So it's possible, even probable, that Lee will earn 147 million over 6 years instead of the Yankees offer of 150 over 5 years.
The Phillies offer was for almost the same money but over a shorter period of time.
Face it. With a starting rotation earning more than 14 whole teams and the top 7 paid players on the Phillies earning more than 24 other teams... The Phillies and their fans can no longer whine about the Yankees trying to buy championships, because that is exactly what the Phillies are doing now.
Phan

Northampton, PA

#18 Dec 15, 2010
Cubsman not Cubs man wrote:
First off the cubbies can do it their own way because I'm a Twins fan and Cubsman is my last name. Second be excited you have one of the best teams money can buy right up there with those damn Yankees. The "we won't buy our championship" talk is history. The days of complaining about the Yankees,Red Sox,Mets buying their teams for Phillies fans are over. Dick I mean Richard Philadelphia fans are the biggest whiners and crybabies on this planet. I'd rather wear a Yankees jersey go to NY and root for the Yankees than sit with a Philly fan acting like a 3 year old when their team doesn't win and I HATE the Yankees. Good Luck and Good Bye.
First of all, you're full of sh|t about your name. In the entire country, there's not one listing in any white pages for the last name Cubsman. NONE.
Secondly, I see you conveniently ignored the part of my post about the consecutive sell outs. We're paying... so should the management. I want the best my money can buy.
3rd, if that goodbye was for me... I doubt it really is goodbye, and if it is, it's because you're out of things to defend. Especially that last name bullsh|t.
Phan

Northampton, PA

#19 Dec 15, 2010
sofa_king_cool wrote:
<quoted text>Not chasing the money? The Yankees offered 150 over 7 years or 21.4 million a year. The Phillies contract is 120 million over 5 years, with an option for a 6th year if Lee pitches 200 innings in 2015 worth 27 million. So it's possible, even probable, that Lee will earn 147 million over 6 years instead of the Yankees offer of 150 over 5 years.
The Phillies offer was for almost the same money but over a shorter period of time.
Face it. With a starting rotation earning more than 14 whole teams and the top 7 paid players on the Phillies earning more than 24 other teams... The Phillies and their fans can no longer whine about the Yankees trying to buy championships, because that is exactly what the Phillies are doing now.
Okay, let's get the numbers straight.
ESPN.COM :
"In terms of the Yankees offers, at the very least Lee is leaving $5 million on the table, or as much as $41 million on the 7-year $161,000,000 deal that was offered."
The "ifs" and "possibles" don't really matter. It's all about the guarantee. Especially at his age. He could have guaranteed himself to be playing for that kind of money at age 40 with the Yankees. Now he has to risk being able to perform to make that in the 6th year, with no offer for ANY deal 7 years from now Phillies.
Phan

Northampton, PA

#20 Dec 15, 2010
My bad, last sentence should have ended :
7 years from now with the Phillies

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#21 Dec 15, 2010
Thanks for the additional detail, Phan. Sofa King, the kicker is the total guaranteed dollars in the contract - and the length. At his age, it's probably that he won't be the pitcher he is right now seven years down the road. It really seems like the intangibles played a part in him choosing to go back to Philly. Granted, he's still being paid a crazy amount of money, but it's not just the money that got him back to Philly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texas Rangers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News St. Louis Cardinals: Seung-Hwan Oh should repla... Jun 19 P Funk 1
News Nomar Mazara To Replace Mitch Moreland? Apr '16 windingmywatch 1
News Orioles could make move for a reliever after Br... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Fart news 2
News Johnny Manziel at Rangers game days after leavi... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Johnny Rehab 2
News Josh Hamilton not missed by Texas Rangers fans (Oct '14) Oct '14 169114Rock 2
News Mariners inch closer to postseason, yet fans st... (Aug '14) Aug '14 johnnyj 1
Texas Rangers Live Stream (Aug '14) Aug '14 gecore 1
More from around the web