New York Yankees: Is Brett Gardner Hurting the Yankees?

Sep 9, 2011 Full story: BleacherReport 14

It seemed not too long ago that Brett Gardner was hitting above .280 and it looked like he was on his way to .300. Since then, Gardner has been on a downward spiral of sorts, currently sporting an average of .264. With Gardner's struggles at the plate, it's been nearly impossible to keep him at the top of the order without hindering the Yankees' ... (more)

Full Story
vinniesr

Venice, FL

#1 Sep 10, 2011
I said time and time again...Gardner is not a major league ballpayer, just a speedster.....and now his fielding is going. He does not have a good arm....The other guy that shouldn't be there is Jones,,,smiling jack,,,he's just stealing some extra money, he could not care less whether they win or lose...He made his dough....
Bulldog

Jamestown, NY

#2 Sep 11, 2011
Vinnie, I agree with you about Gardner. I've been saying it for a long time too. He's a one tool player...speed...and he doesn't even use that well. He's a tentative base-stealer. He let's too many pitches be thrown before he steals. That puts the batter in the hole because the batter takes some pitches in order to give Gardner a chance to steal. Gardner also strikes out too much especially for a guy that has only hit 5 balls over the wall this year. He has thrown out some runners this year but it's because they don't respect his arm. The Yanks can do far better than Gardy in left. I hope they pursue something this off-season. Jones won't be back next year. They'll sign somebody else to be the fourth outfielder.
xxx232

United States

#3 Sep 11, 2011
Yankees!
Jim

Raleigh, NC

#4 Sep 12, 2011
I consider my self a big yank fan... However it is comments li like this recentarticle in regards to Brett that have me wondering Where yank loyalty is. Miy opinion is you To get a grip. Aim no know fan of Joe G however if listen to the yes network you and read the sports pages they would make you believe he is the greatest.To meJoe tTorre was not only a great manger but also outstanding person. Nothing JJoe G has done up to this point buts him the same class as the great Joe Torre. There is know Question that some Yankee personnell still don't give him the credit he deserves.In partiular Mike Kay. However he Mike Kay thinks he is Mel allen and their is little Cchance of that.
Billy Ringo

New York, NY

#5 Sep 13, 2011
Geezzzz - what a stupid thread. Jet went 2-4 last night, with a RBI and is batting a respectable .263. He bats 9th or 1st. However, he is more effective batting 1st - he is a prototype lead off hitter, although he is no Rickey and he needs to improve against lefties.

He knows his role, and he fills it well.

Yankees are the best team in the AL - 2nd best record in the ML.
JerryHairstonJr

United States

#6 Sep 15, 2011
No, AJ is. What the hell happened to that guy? If he played on a team with an offense like San Fran he would be lucky to have a win. Gardner does ok. Talk about his arm...a couple years ago they had Damon who couldn't gun my grandpa on a tag.

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#7 Sep 25, 2011
While he doesn't have the strongest arm, it certainly is not a lollipop arm either and he also releases the ball quickly. He has much better than average range in the outfield which means he takes many hits away from the opposition. A hit prevented is every bit as valuable to the team as a hit made. His ability to charge a ball and get to a safe hit by the opposition more quickly certainly gives opposing base runners less opportunity to advance.

While I do believe that he would make a better situational player, he certainly is not a liability to the team as his ability to take the extra base often does mean the difference between having scored before the third out or being stranded at third when the third out is made. Perhaps he would be better off as a pinch runner or defensive replacement in later innings in a game should the Yankees come up with an outfielder with a better offensive upside. As of now, he is the best they have to play left field and he certainly is not the worst starting left fielder in the majors by a long shot.

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#8 Sep 25, 2011
vinniesr wrote:
I said time and time again...Gardner is not a major league ballpayer, just a speedster.....and now his fielding is going. He does not have a good arm....The other guy that shouldn't be there is Jones,,,smiling jack,,,he's just stealing some extra money, he could not care less whether they win or lose...He made his dough....
Andruuw Jones is still a good defensive player and his offensive numbers have improved dramatically in the last two months. Last June, I was wondering why the Yankees were wasting time with Jones, but his his slugging percentage has since reached a very respectable .492 and his 12 homers in 183 at bats would project to a total some 35 to 40 homers as a full-time player over an entire season. He has hit .290 with a .613 slugging percentage since the All Star break.

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#9 Sep 25, 2011
Bulldog wrote:
Vinnie, I agree with you about Gardner. I've been saying it for a long time too. He's a one tool player...speed...and he doesn't even use that well. He's a tentative base-stealer. He let's too many pitches be thrown before he steals. That puts the batter in the hole because the batter takes some pitches in order to give Gardner a chance to steal. Gardner also strikes out too much especially for a guy that has only hit 5 balls over the wall this year. He has thrown out some runners this year but it's because they don't respect his arm. The Yanks can do far better than Gardy in left. I hope they pursue something this off-season. Jones won't be back next year. They'll sign somebody else to be the fourth outfielder.
Batters taking pitches is not always a bad thing. It certainly does make a pitcher throw more pitches instead of a hitter completing an at bat by making an out on the first or second pitch thereby causing the pitcher to perhaps tire more early. With Gardner on first, hitters are far more likely to see more fastballs and therefore can
focus more on the fastball.

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#10 Sep 25, 2011
JerryHairstonJr wrote:
No, AJ is. What the hell happened to that guy? If he played on a team with an offense like San Fran he would be lucky to have a win. Gardner does ok. Talk about his arm...a couple years ago they had Damon who couldn't gun my grandpa on a tag.
Gardner's arm is a cannon compared to a few other Yankees in the past such as Roy White and Mickey Rivers...and oh yes, Johnny Damon.

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#11 Sep 26, 2011
The player the Yankees really need to unload is Scott Procter who was signed only because he pitched with the Yankees four years earlier. Oout of seven years in the majors, he has only had two somewhat average seasons and five bad ones and is now 34 and an over the hill former journeyman pitcher. When he pitches, it looks more like batting practice.

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#12 Sep 26, 2011
The player the Yankees really need to unload is Scott Procter who was signed only because he pitched with the Yankees four years earlier. Oout of seven years in the majors, he has only had two somewhat average seasons and five bad ones and is now 34 and an over the hill journeyman pitcher. When he pitches, it looks more like batting practice.
Billy Ringo

Bronx, NY

#13 Sep 27, 2011
Gardner has a higher OBP than the 120 million dollar Carl Crawford.

Stop with the Gardner bashing, already.!!!!!!!!

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#14 Sep 27, 2011
Billy Ringo wrote:
Gardner has a higher OBP than the 120 million dollar Carl Crawford.
Stop with the Gardner bashing, already.!!!!!!!!
Gardner has more stolen bases as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Yankees Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 8 min Paul Yanks 313,651
Like It Or Not, Alex Rodriguez Isn't Going Anyw... (May '14) Feb 16 stewart scott 3
The New York Yankees' Investing Blunder Cost De... Feb 16 stewart scott 6
Alex Rodriguez Represents Dark Time in Major Le... Feb 16 stewart scott 9
Judge helps Scottsdale rally past Glendale Feb 16 stewart scott 2
Things to know about MLB free-agent signings Feb 16 stewart scott 2
Alex Rodriguez Admits To DEA He Used Performanc... Feb 16 stewart scott 5
More from around the web