MLB Trade Rumors: Cliff Lee To The Ne...

MLB Trade Rumors: Cliff Lee To The New York Yankees?

There are 14 comments on the In Lou We Trust story from Jul 12, 2012, titled MLB Trade Rumors: Cliff Lee To The New York Yankees?. In it, In Lou We Trust reports that:

During his weekly Thursday spot for Sports Radio WIP in Philadelphia, MLB Network's Peter Gammons suggested that the Phillies , due to their last-place standing and the changes in compensation for free agents, may explore getting into an area where they can sign pending FA Cole Hamels and trade Cliff Lee , who turns 34 next month and signed through ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at In Lou We Trust.

Wilma

Lewiston, ME

#1 Jul 13, 2012
It never ceases to amaze me the deep pockets of the New York Yankess when it comes to buying a pennant.
Wilma

Lewiston, ME

#2 Jul 13, 2012
Of course there is no end to the ballplayers that will sell themselves to the highest bidder which is usually the Yankees. When Teixeira was being sought after by the Red Sox and he signed with the Yankees his wife supposedly said he was better suited to the Yankees and she was certainly right as he is definitely not a Red Sox. Not many ex-Yankees ever fit in on other teams. Theirs is a whole different mentality then other team players and I don't mean that in a nice way.
Rachael Slurr

Sandy Hook, CT

#3 Jul 13, 2012
Wilma wrote:
Of course there is no end to the ballplayers that will sell themselves to the highest bidder which is usually the Yankees. When Teixeira was being sought after by the Red Sox and he signed with the Yankees his wife supposedly said he was better suited to the Yankees and she was certainly right as he is definitely not a Red Sox. Not many ex-Yankees ever fit in on other teams. Theirs is a whole different mentality then other team players and I don't mean that in a nice way.
Um... MLB needs an overhaul in it's capital structure, not the New York Yankees. And the Red Sox have done their fair share of "pennant buying" over the past decade themselves. These ex-Yankees have gone against your wisdom (Not many ex-Yankees ever fit in on other teams) Fred McGriff, Melky Cabrera, Ted Lilly, Mike Lowell, Jay Buhner, Willie McGee... these just off the top of my head.
Guaranteed if the Red Sox jumped in and landed Lee, all would be fine in your world.
Bulldog

Jamestown, NY

#4 Jul 13, 2012
It's strange that nobody mentioned that Cliff Lee turned down more money from the Yankees to sign with Philly. His rationale was that the Yankees are old. How's that working out for you Cliffy? The "old" Yankees have the best record and you're in last place with a bunch of "old" Phillies. Congratulations. I hope you enjoy your summer and fall in the cellar.
Mets Fan Forever

Maywood, NJ

#5 Jul 14, 2012
Here we go again. Just when you thought it was safe to assume that MLB would have parity; the Bronx Satanic Occult is at it again raping and pillaging pro baseball and as long as that PUPPET SELIG is the puppet commish, there will NEVER be balance in the sport!!!! But then again, Selig is more corrupt than Henry Hill and when that creep Steinbrenner was alive he made Don Imus, Pol Pot and Hitler look like Mother Teresa. NO WONDER THE YANKEES ARE MORE HATED THAN THE MIAMI HEAT, DUKE HOOPS, MANCHESTER UNITED, THE DALLAS COWBOYS, JOHN CENA AND NOTRE DAME FOOTBALL COMBINED.....I'M WATING FOR THE DAY WHEN THE METS TAKE OVER NEW YORK AGAIN LIKE THEY DID IN 1969 & 1986 & THE STANKEES ARE MORE DEAD THAN AMY WINEHOUSE.

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#6 Jul 15, 2012
GM Cashman is not at present in any hurry to trade top future prospects for a short term fix. Unless the Phillies offer Lee for next to nothing (i.e. low level prospects or and/or veteren fringe players), that deal will never happen. Sabathia will be returning soon and Freddie Garcia has stepped in to fill the void left by the injury to Pettitt. This is likely no more than a wild rumor.
Billy Ringo

United States

#7 Jul 17, 2012
Lee to the NYY will NEVER happen.

Lee isn't good enough to pitch in the AL east. He should stay in the weak NL where he belongs.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#8 Jul 17, 2012
In spite of the injuries to Pettitte and Sabathia, the Yankess are extending their division lead. That does not sound like it necessitates any pressing of the panic button. As I said before, unless he can be obtained for lower level prospects or another player who is not an important part of the present Yankee roster, I'd say no to the deal.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#9 Jul 17, 2012
I have seen the Yankees get burned time and time again when they would trade high level prospects for veteran players who did not pan out as well as expected and meanwhile, many of those traded prospects went on to excel with other teams.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#10 Jul 17, 2012
C.C. is back an pitched well tonight. The Yankees have won 8 of their last 10. Joba Chamberlain's rehab has been going very well and he may be back soon. Why would they need Cliff Lee?

“I'm a Madison kinda guy”

Since: Jan 12

Madison

#11 Jul 17, 2012
Baseball needs, NEEDS, a salary cap like every other professional sport out there
Lets Play Ball

Tonawanda, NY

#12 Jul 18, 2012
You're right. The Yankees have a certain panache that all players cannot "fit" into. I agree being a Yankee is not for all.
And I mean that in the highest regard and compliment to The Yankees' Organization and its unique Legacy. And due to this "heritage", there is a much brighter spotlight for a player to step into as a Yankee.

However, if you recall, all the money paid to Alex Rodriquez, didn't help him produce to his full potential those first few years of his acquisition BECAUSE of that panache and the high expectations and standards The Yankees ( Team, Management and Fans ) set for their Empire.
They are winners, even when they are losing < have lost >.

The Babe, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, and all of The Greats who went before, forged The Yankees' Legacy WAY before Steinbrenner money was invested into the team.

Their mentality is: The Pride Of The Yankees. Winners.

IF The Yankees "bought" Pennants and World Series as you claim, then they would have Won EVERY Season.
Wilma wrote:
Lets Play Ball

Tonawanda, NY

#13 Jul 18, 2012
AHaHaaHaaa ... You're truly nutz.

"The Bronx Satanic Occult"!? AHaHaaHaaaaa ...!

And just when you 'thought' it was safe to assume, The Yankees pull the net out.

Aint it a shame.

The Yankees came from behind and pulled ahead of the pack while Cliff Lee was sitting in the Phillies dugout. You maniac. LOL!!

Mets Fan Forever wrote:
Here we go again. Just when you thought it was safe to assume that MLB would have parity; the Bronx Satanic Occult is at it again raping and pillaging pro baseball and as long as that PUPPET SELIG is the puppet commish, there will NEVER be balance in the sport!!!! But then again, Selig is more corrupt than Henry Hill and when that creep Steinbrenner was alive he made Don Imus, Pol Pot and Hitler look like Mother Teresa. NO WONDER THE YANKEES ARE MORE HATED THAN THE MIAMI HEAT, DUKE HOOPS, MANCHESTER UNITED, THE DALLAS COWBOYS, JOHN CENA AND NOTRE DAME FOOTBALL COMBINED.....I'M WATING FOR THE DAY WHEN THE METS TAKE OVER NEW YORK AGAIN LIKE THEY DID IN 1969 & 1986 & THE STANKEES ARE MORE DEAD THAN AMY WINEHOUSE.
Lets Play Ball

Tonawanda, NY

#14 Jul 19, 2012
Good Posts. Excellent Points.
Couldn't agree more with All.
And I like a Man who likes Cats!:)
And The Yankees, of course.
Hakuna Matata to You, Wife and Family!
And to your "little" Felines as well!
flbadcatowner wrote:
GM Cashman is not at present in any hurry to trade top future prospects for a short term fix. Unless the Phillies offer Lee for next to nothing (i.e. low level prospects or and/or veteren fringe players), that deal will never happen. Sabathia will be returning soon and Freddie Garcia has stepped in to fill the void left by the injury to Pettitt. This is likely no more than a wild rumor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Yankees Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 13 min NYStateOfMind 319,160
News Yankees call up Dugas from Trenton Jul 5 Fart news 6
News MLB roundup: A-Rod reaches 3,000 hits, Yankees win Jun '15 Ay Roid 2
News New York Yankees pitching trade rumors: will th... Jun '15 Billy Fartin 3
News RailRiders Insider Jun '15 tom wingo 4
Cashman's follies. May '15 Comnsnse 1
News New York Yankees' Jose Pirela is 'Ready to Go';... May '15 tom wingo 2
More from around the web