Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5

“Lou Gehrig, Pride of the Yanks”

Since: Aug 08

Washington, DC

#269602 Feb 7, 2013
After a rough 2012 season, NY Yankees pitcher Ivan Nova says he'll crack the rotation this year
New York Daily News | Feb 7 Share ArticleIvan Nova’s self-evaluation has its harsh side. He had “a bad year” in 2012, he said, and he “did a lot of things wrong on the mound.”
But even his own withering criticism hasn’t crushed his confidence. No, despite regressing as a pitcher last year and a stubborn side that made him stick with certain pitches he sometimes couldn’t control, Nova firmly believes he’ll crack the Yankees’ rotation in 2013.
“I’m going to be there,” Nova said after a workout at the Yankees’ minor league complex.“Just do my work. It doesn’t cross my mind that I’m going to be in the minor leagues. I’m going to be in the rotation, that’s what I’m working for.
“I know what I’ve got in my hand,” Nova added.“I know what I’ve got and I know what I can do and I just have to do it.”
With CC Sabathia, Andy Pettitte, Hiroki Kuroda and Phil Hughes set in the Yanks’ five-man rotation, the last spot figures to come down to Nova or David Phelps. Nova, 26, was 12-8 with a 5.02 ERA in 28 starts last season, giving up 194 hits in 170.1 innings.
Nova fizzled late last season, going 2-5 with a 7.05 ERA in his final 11 starts, and was left off the postseason roster. He also spent time on the disabled list with rotator cuff inflammation, but in the words of nearly every player in baseball at this time of year,“feels great, really, really great,” now.
“I have a lot of expectations for this year,” Nova said.“I want to have a better year than I had last year. That’s the main thing right now.”
He said that even though he was disappointed in his work last year, there were some positives. For instance, he struck out 8.08 batters per nine innings, 10th in the American League.
“I did some good things,” he said.“I know my ERA jumped a lot (it was 3.70 in his breakout 2011). I got hurt and all that, but you just take the positive things out of it and work on what you did wrong and put everything together.”
One failing that troubles him still is his over-reliance on pitches that “I can’t control at that moment and I throw it (anyway),” he said.“You’ve got to work with other stuff.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/ya...

“No Lying”

Since: Oct 07

And Never Fooled

#269603 Feb 7, 2013
momma chamberlin wrote:
<quoted text>I'll go as far as to say he's the frotrunner for MVP....driving in 86 runs last year in Boston was incredible considering the first 3 players in the lineup all high percentage on base guys were either 70 percent when they were in the lineup or out all year, Ellsbury, Pedroia and Crawford. AGONE is just a natural born hitter and run producer.
Think if any Dodger is going to win MVP, its going to be Kemp. Kemp may even be the top OF this year in fantasy. Health is a big concern of course but if healthy, he may outproduce Trout. This might be the greatest Dodger team they ever had looking at their roster

“No Lying”

And Never Fooled

#269604 Feb 7, 2013
The Anti-Troll wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet you still have to post back to me to prove it.
Thru the hoop, boy! Thru the hoop!
This forum only has 2 deadbeat losers who supported the man in your pic. Liam being the other one. Liam openly came in here and posted all this love for Obama despite his record last 4 years. Of course he denied being a deadbeat and cited Mark Cuban as a big Obama supporter which he is. And of course Mark Cuban is no deadbeat. He is though a big Hollywood producer so he must be liberal. Did you know he produced a movie shortly after the 2nd Iraq War called Redacted. This movie was thankfully not shown in many theaters here however it was shown in the theaters that Cuban owns. The plot of the movie was about the American soldiers in Iraq committing all kinds of war crimes like murder and rapes of Iraqi citizens. And yes, Cuban did distribute this film overseas and pocketed millions from it. Is this fair to the millions of soldiers and their families overseas? Like I been saying, any and all Obama supporters are all deadbeats or lowlifes. No exceptions. As a show of respect in this forum, I ask you to take down your profile pic

“No Lying”

And Never Fooled

#269605 Feb 7, 2013
You got some nerve judger. No one would laugh at me to my face

“No Lying”

And Never Fooled

#269607 Feb 7, 2013
Find it a bit strange why a poster would copy and paste a story on here where we all have access to the web and can read it ourselves? But if its being done as a goodwill gesture as maybe we miss it, fine. I can see that. But then the poster provides the link to the story which we just read. Why? So we can read it again? Continue on copy and pasting however not necessary to post the link. No one cares to read it again

Got a nice game of 18 holes tomorrow at 7am for a 745 tee off time. Just think when I'm teeing off, you'll already have probably 6 inches of snow on your driveway. When I'm finished, probably 12 inches would have fallen
the don

Roslyn Heights, NY

#269608 Feb 7, 2013
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
After a rough 2012 season, NY Yankees pitcher Ivan Nova says he'll crack the rotation this year
New York Daily News | Feb 7 Share ArticleIvan Nova’s self-evaluation has its harsh side. He had “a bad year” in 2012, he said, and he “did a lot of things wrong on the mound.”
But even his own withering criticism hasn’t crushed his confidence. No, despite regressing as a pitcher last year and a stubborn side that made him stick with certain pitches he sometimes couldn’t control, Nova firmly believes he’ll crack the Yankees’ rotation in 2013.
“I’m going to be there,” Nova said after a workout at the Yankees’ minor league complex.“Just do my work. It doesn’t cross my mind that I’m going to be in the minor leagues. I’m going to be in the rotation, that’s what I’m working for.
“I know what I’ve got in my hand,” Nova added.“I know what I’ve got and I know what I can do and I just have to do it.”
With CC Sabathia, Andy Pettitte, Hiroki Kuroda and Phil Hughes set in the Yanks’ five-man rotation, the last spot figures to come down to Nova or David Phelps. Nova, 26, was 12-8 with a 5.02 ERA in 28 starts last season, giving up 194 hits in 170.1 innings.
Nova fizzled late last season, going 2-5 with a 7.05 ERA in his final 11 starts, and was left off the postseason roster. He also spent time on the disabled list with rotator cuff inflammation, but in the words of nearly every player in baseball at this time of year,“feels great, really, really great,” now.
“I have a lot of expectations for this year,” Nova said.“I want to have a better year than I had last year. That’s the main thing right now.”
He said that even though he was disappointed in his work last year, there were some positives. For instance, he struck out 8.08 batters per nine innings, 10th in the American League.
“I did some good things,” he said.“I know my ERA jumped a lot (it was 3.70 in his breakout 2011). I got hurt and all that, but you just take the positive things out of it and work on what you did wrong and put everything together.”
One failing that troubles him still is his over-reliance on pitches that “I can’t control at that moment and I throw it (anyway),” he said.“You’ve got to work with other stuff.”
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/ya...
Important for the Yanks that Nova comes back and be a regular in the yanks five man rotation this way Phelps can be the occasional 6th starter and/or long relief man....

Washington, DC

#269609 Feb 7, 2013
the don wrote:
<quoted text> Important for the Yanks that Nova comes back and be a regular in the yanks five man rotation this way Phelps can be the occasional 6th starter and/or long relief man....
If Nova, Hughes and Phelps were on any other teams the hacks and haters would be tickeling themselves over what great young arms these guys are.

“Anti-Troll is next”

Since: Jan 13

Oyster Bay, NY

#269610 Feb 7, 2013
Unbiased Chargers Fan wrote:
You got some nerve judger. No one would laugh at me to my face
Hey buddy what a whrilwind couple of days, thanks for setting me up with that WWE model. We had a great time flying all over the country handling my case load as an attorney and then the Super Bowl parties in the French Quarter. Flying off to Hawaii tomorrow for the Pro Bowl tomorrow. Heard your book signings this week was a big success.

“Anti-Troll is next”

Oyster Bay, NY

#269611 Feb 7, 2013
<quoted text>May 17 thru June 9 is Star Wars in Orlando. You should consider going, especially if you still have that place on the boardwalk. I will personally get the Sandpeople to bring bags of sand from their home planet of Tatoonie as a gift to you. I'm sure making plans to go this year. I usually don't go to Maui till the end of June anyways
I'll shove so much sand down his throat it will come of out of his poach. to funny these low brows think they are in your league. Dopes like Sgt Carter can't even begin to imagine what it is like to be you and have your fame and money.

“Anti-Troll is next”

Oyster Bay, NY

#269612 Feb 7, 2013
momma chamberlin wrote:
<quoted text>Count me in as the wheels are already in motion...Mets are in town May 31- June 1,2,3, which is perfect this way I can use a team driver, you know I hate flying and would much rather be in a stretch with the open bar. Not sure if i'll be on the Boardwalk though i'll have to check my calender as I normally give it away to friends with kids. With the Mets in town I can stay at the hotel in Miami. I'll have more info for you soon, in a phone call of course.
Hey buddy you can stay at my waterfront property in South Beach with Debbie if you want. No need to spend time with the rif raf in central florida visiting kiddie parks.
the don

Roslyn Heights, NY

#269613 Feb 7, 2013
don't know who's a bigger liar and idiot unbiased or his flunky aszwipe pete case 123 aka Momma. both stains...LMAO

“The No Troll Zone”

Where it's at.

#269614 Feb 7, 2013
<quoted text>This forum only has 2 deadbeat losers who supported the man in your pic. Liam being the other one. Liam openly came in here and posted all this love for Obama despite his record last 4 years. Of course he denied being a deadbeat and cited Mark Cuban as a big Obama supporter which he is. And of course Mark Cuban is no deadbeat. He is though a big Hollywood producer so he must be liberal. Did you know he produced a movie shortly after the 2nd Iraq War called Redacted. This movie was thankfully not shown in many theaters here however it was shown in the theaters that Cuban owns. The plot of the movie was about the American soldiers in Iraq committing all kinds of war crimes like murder and rapes of Iraqi citizens. And yes, Cuban did distribute this film overseas and pocketed millions from it. Is this fair to the millions of soldiers and their families overseas? Like I been saying, any and all Obama supporters are all deadbeats or lowlifes. No exceptions. As a show of respect in this forum, I ask you to take down your profile pic
That's right, every time I post, you jump.
Like a good little Jester.

Dance, little Jester! Dance!
Da GreatDirtyWater

Peakhurst, Australia

#269615 Feb 7, 2013
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
If Nova, Hughes and Phelps were on any other teams the hacks and haters would be tickeling themselves over what great young arms these guys are.
Jury is still out on Phelps, think his pluses may not outweigh his minor league options.You got Joba and AArdvark rehabbing in his spot.

Nova? He gets hit but he can put up some innings on the back end but his ERA doesn't hold if he slides up the rotation.

Hard to believe but Hughes is a FA next season. Thats a tough question: if he can put up 200 IP whats he worth...you'll be paying more for the position he pitches out of and you have to blind eye his past inconsistancies. In this market he could pull greater than $70m deal, look at what Anibal Sanchez got, theyre on par.

“Stay cool!!!!!”

Since: May 08

Santa Fe, NM

#269616 Feb 7, 2013
Da GreatDirtyWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Jury is still out on Phelps, think his pluses may not outweigh his minor league options.You got Joba and AArdvark rehabbing in his spot.
Nova? He gets hit but he can put up some innings on the back end but his ERA doesn't hold if he slides up the rotation.
Hard to believe but Hughes is a FA next season. Thats a tough question: if he can put up 200 IP whats he worth...you'll be paying more for the position he pitches out of and you have to blind eye his past inconsistancies. In this market he could pull greater than $70m deal, look at what Anibal Sanchez got, theyre on par.

the "jury" is still out on Phelps? By who? where? He can pitch in the bigs and proved it. As a long guy out of the pen or a spot starter, he is not going down to the minors and he is not a 7th inning guy.

Nova, is a 4th or a 5th starter. He has shown when "on" he is fine in that role. As for hughes, who knows what guy shows up. I have seen very few knocks on his ability. He does not put it together and one year he came in beckett fat...and was terrible..Doubt if he gets a sanchez contract offer from anyone.
Da GreatDirtyWater

Peakhurst, Australia

#269617 Feb 7, 2013
jimi-yank wrote:
<quoted text>
the "jury" is still out on Phelps? By who? where? He can pitch in the bigs and proved it. As a long guy out of the pen or a spot starter, he is not going down to the minors and he is not a 7th inning guy.
Nova, is a 4th or a 5th starter. He has shown when "on" he is fine in that role. As for hughes, who knows what guy shows up. I have seen very few knocks on his ability. He does not put it together and one year he came in beckett fat...and was terrible..Doubt if he gets a sanchez contract offer from anyone.
Be realistic. Yanks are gonna have to carry the extra bench player as Hafner cant field. So thats 11 pitchers:

1 CC 2 Kuroda 3 Pettitte 4 Hughes 5 Nova 6 Robertson 7 Mariano 8 Logan 9 Rapada 10 Joba 11 Aardsma

Youre paying the last 2 already and both on walk years with no options. Maybe you can hide them on a DL rehab for 60 days but then you get into Pineda time. All have no options.

Phelps has options and his numbers are inflated by a large amount of mop up time.

Hughes is 25 or so and the market dictates the Sanchez contract is his benchmark if he makes it to about 200 IP this season. Anyway you look at it he isn't gonna hang around NY on the $ he's on now if long term security is offered elsewhere.

“Stay cool!!!!!”

Since: May 08

Santa Fe, NM

#269618 Feb 7, 2013
Da GreatDirtyWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Be realistic. Yanks are gonna have to carry the extra bench player as Hafner cant field. So thats 11 pitchers:
1 CC 2 Kuroda 3 Pettitte 4 Hughes 5 Nova 6 Robertson 7 Mariano 8 Logan 9 Rapada 10 Joba 11 Aardsma
Youre paying the last 2 already and both on walk years with no options. Maybe you can hide them on a DL rehab for 60 days but then you get into Pineda time. All have no options.
Phelps has options and his numbers are inflated by a large amount of mop up time.
Hughes is 25 or so and the market dictates the Sanchez contract is his benchmark if he makes it to about 200 IP this season. Anyway you look at it he isn't gonna hang around NY on the $ he's on now if long term security is offered elsewhere.

This explains it better then the jury out on phelps. Who knows if ardsma even stays healthy. Hughes goes where the money is as almost any player would do. Thanks for the input.

Washington, DC

#269619 Feb 7, 2013
jimi-yank wrote:
<quoted text>.
This explains it better then the jury out on phelps. Who knows if ardsma even stays healthy. Hughes goes where the money is as almost any player would do. Thanks for the input.
Both of you make valid points. Think the Yanks break camp with 11 pitchers.
Da GreatDirtyWater

Peakhurst, Australia

#269620 Feb 7, 2013
jimi-yank wrote:
<quoted text>.
Its not Phelps its just a numbers game.

I never really liked Aardvark even when he's was with the Sox.Never reliable over the long term but still a MLB ready pitcher.

Good deal for the Yanks though. Dirt cheap to sit around Tampa for a year then you get him on a discount. My guess is his contract has language about his making the MLB roster with a time limit so he won't be caught in AAA. So he probably is on the roster if he can pitch. If they delay his start with Pineda then thats 2 spots you have to find mid year.

“No Lying”

And Never Fooled

#269621 Feb 7, 2013
Pete Case 123 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey buddy what a whrilwind couple of days, thanks for setting me up with that WWE model. We had a great time flying all over the country handling my case load as an attorney and then the Super Bowl parties in the French Quarter. Flying off to Hawaii tomorrow for the Pro Bowl tomorrow. Heard your book signings this week was a big success.
Yea, I just got back. I must have taken pics with with at least 100 female fans this afternoon. I met that model the day I held the WWE title. When the Truth/Dare guy threatned to break my arm in 3 seconds, I showed him the pic of the arm he said he would break. That unbreakable arm was holding a WWE title belt. It was no fake one bought at a toy store.

Just thinking back now. The Truth/Dare guy called you low brow. But whats funny was Jimi posted how he loved that name when he was posting back to the Truth/Dare guy, one of many occasians. This means he was posting to himself. Anyone care to dig up those old posts of him posting to himself and laughing, patting himself on the back
Paul Yanks

Phoenix, AZ

#269622 Feb 7, 2013
Mariners to sign king Felix to a 7 year 175M deal extension.....
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/mariner...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Yankees Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News World Baseball Classic is nice in theory, but i... Feb '17 WorthPhartzs 2
News The Yankees should be selling (Aug '16) Jan '17 FrankPharts 3
News Is Girardi's Time Running Out? (Sep '16) Dec '16 Yank22 8
News Yankees' realistic dream Opening Day lineup for... Dec '16 Yank22 3
News Video: Jonathan Holder Speaks at Baseball Luncheon (Oct '16) Oct '16 Michele Cotten 1
News Which N.J. stars have landed on the cover of Sp... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Denise Klotz-Hina 1
News Yankees CC Sabathia Plans to Keep Pitching Beyo... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Spike 4
More from around the web