Minnesota Twins acquire J.J. Hardy from Brewers for Carlos Gomez

Milwaukee Brewers shortstop J.J. Hardy can't come up with a ball hit by Houston Astros' J.R. Towles during the seventh inning of a baseball game Friday, Sept. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
WOW

United States

#1 Nov 6, 2009
No more GOGO!! I'm not sure if I agree with this or not....I'm going to miss gogo!!
Scratching Head

Shakopee, MN

#2 Nov 6, 2009
Hopefully JJ can return to his 07 form.
ponch

United States

#3 Nov 6, 2009
This is a good move! however getting Gomez in the first place was probably the worst trade in team history! Looks like we wont be resigning our late season pick up
Paul

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Nov 6, 2009
Make sure you overrun 2nd base on your way out, GOGO!
Strangebrew

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Nov 6, 2009
This is a great move. Punto moves 2nd and now we have 3 instead of 4 everyday outfielders
Who you crappin

Madison, WI

#6 Nov 6, 2009
Kind of an ironic trade. Hardy fields just about anything he can reach, but he can't reach much. He will hit for streaky power, but will strikeout 150 times a year. Gomez can't hit for any consistency and is very overrated in centerfield when you factor in how deep he plays and how often he throws erratically or to the wrong base. Let's call it a fresh change of headaches.
big10guy

San Francisco, CA

#7 Nov 6, 2009
Does this mean Cabrera is out? Or do we perhaps re-sign Cabrera and pencil in Hardy at 3rd base to put some pop in that spot in the lineup. Looks like that also means Delmon has the LF spot, at least for now.
AJE

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Nov 6, 2009
they are both bad players. People who know said that Gomez likely won't get any better. Hardy might get better but had his worst year yet last season...and it was ugly. I guess he can add to the breeze at the new stadium with his strikeouts!
lance

Elk Grove Village, IL

#10 Nov 6, 2009
how could u miss GoGo?? i mean i have never seen more of an undisciplined player at the plate. yes, hardy had an off year in 09, but remember he has been an all-star as recently as 07, what has gogo ever done? he seems like a fun guy, thats all i got for him
TtB

Hugo, MN

#11 Nov 6, 2009
Can Hardy pitch??
Dicky

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Nov 6, 2009
Not bad, I think both players needed a new start in a different place. Hardy has a good glove, and has hit for a decent average and power in the two years prior to last. Go-Go still (as Twins fans know all too well) has to work on the fundamentals of the game.
Looks like Cabrera will now be gone, the outfield now has a set everyday lineup of Young, Span, and Cuddyer. The Twins now just need to find an everyday 2B and/or 3B (Punto and Harris will likely fill in for these positions) for this season. Hopefully this includes somebody that can bat in the #2 hole (Adrian Beltre?) in the lineup.
Then, all they have to do is re-sign Mauer and figure out their starting pitching. Sounds, easy doesn't it?
gogo be gone

Brainerd, MN

#13 Nov 6, 2009
We got an all star for a no star. Good trade for the Twins!
Elvis Presley

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Nov 6, 2009
Who you crappin wrote:
He will hit for streaky power, but will strikeout 150 times a year.
That's some nifty analysis since in five full seasons he has yet to strike out even 100 times in one of those years.
cascade

Alexandria, MN

#15 Nov 6, 2009
It was fun to watch Gomez run...
big10guy

San Francisco, CA

#16 Nov 6, 2009
I'd much rather have Hardy and Cabrera on the left side and then see if we can get a decent season of 2B play out of the Punto/Harris combo. That way we worry about filling one position instead of two. You also then don't rush any decision on Valencia. Besides, with the new stadium cash flows, we're able to sign some free agents to fill in gaping holes --- right?
Jeff

Savage, MN

#17 Nov 6, 2009
A step in the right direction. Many more steps to take though. Nice first step.
Eddie Vedder

Minneapolis, MN

#18 Nov 6, 2009
AJE wrote:
I guess he can add to the breeze at the new stadium with his strikeouts!
Strikeouts:
Cuddyer: 118
Kubel: 106
Young: 92
Span: 89
Morneau: 86
Hardy: 85

Yeah, Hardy sucks.
Still in wait mode

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Nov 6, 2009
Considering the opening of the new stadium next year.. I hope they have bigger deals than this still coming during this off season.
DNR Conspiracy

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Nov 6, 2009
why cant cabreraa play second since his range is less than what it use to be

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#21 Nov 6, 2009
Hopefully they can convince Cabrera to switch to second and Punto can go back to being the bench player that he deserves to be.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Houston Astros Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
In case Yu missed it, Marwin plays spoiler (Apr '13) Sep '14 Missouri Astro Fan 2
Astros fire Bo Porter as manager Sep '14 Missouri Astro Fan 2
Houston Astros Live Stream Aug '14 gecore 1
LeVar Burton revives a Reading Rainbowa via Kic... (May '14) Jun '14 Ozzie 2
Astros Bringing Back Clemens, Pettitte For Wedn... (Apr '14) Apr '14 89MPH Fastball 2
Sugar Land Skeeters' Jason Lane signed by San D... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Cooterbob 1
Houston Astros - PlayerWatch (May '13) May '13 Roger Fishback 1
More from around the web